Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

1662663664665666668»

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 510
    Assembly Square seems like the one modular build that Lego would want to keep consistently on store shelves. It's a great entry point to the line that immediately conveys the pleasure of establishing a street (or three) of the things, all in one set. 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,215
    Really? Seems more like a special thing for the biggest fans of the line, to me. A$400 is an expensive entry point.
    SumoLegoAstrobricksVorpalRyuReesesPiecesAanchirklintonstluxFollowsClosely
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,856
    klinton said:
    Assembly Square seems like the one modular build that Lego would want to keep consistently on store shelves.
    The Parisian Restaurant was the quintessential entry point into the quagmire that is modular buildings.  I'd put Assembly Square on the other end of the spectrum - where die-hard modular fans are the audience.  (Much like the Rollercoaster in the fairground group.)
    Baby_YodaklintonmadforLEGO
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,948
    Agreed. I have most the Fair Ground items, but Roller Coaster is a pass. I have a number of modulars, but Assembly Square is a hard pass. 

klintonSumoLego
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 316
    See, I think Assembly Square is the best of the entire line (though I don't yet have the Corner Garage).  The Parisian Restaurant was my all-time favorite set until it was dethroned, and that was by AS - and I built a lot of sets in between. I will say, due to its price point, we didn't sell a ton of them when I worked at Lego, but it's a wonderful set, even with the high price tag. I don't disagree with the parallel to the Roller Coaster, as that's the one Fairground set I don't have myself - honestly, it just takes up too much room, in all three dimensions at that. At least while the UCS Falcon has a massive footprint, it's not particularly tall.
    klinton
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 510
    This is clearly further evidence of why I am not in marketing. :p

It seems the most interesting 'gateway drug', IMHO. Like, I've never really been drawn to the modulars, but I've considered grabbing this one as kind of an 'all in one' backdrop for setting up my superhero minifigs on. It seems to me a much cheaper option than buying up several separate models for the same effect. 
    SumoLegojuggles7Baby_YodaMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,707
    amok said:
    I'm sure Assembly Square will stay around for a couple more years...
    It's not a round, it's a square.

pharmjod said:
    Don't be so sure.

I also cannot see it lasting too much longer. It has had about 2.5 years already. I suspect it will make 3 but not 4. Although I'm not investing in it either way.
    tamamahmBaby_Yodagmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,434
    klinton said:

It seems the most interesting 'gateway drug', IMHO. Like, I've never really been drawn to the modulars, but I've considered grabbing this one as kind of an 'all in one' backdrop for setting up my superhero minifigs on. It seems to me a much cheaper option than buying up several separate models for the same effect. 

Things that are cheap(er) make much better gateway drugs. Lower price of entry. For me it was discounted Pet Shops. 
    ReesesPiecesklintongmonkey76CurvedRoadPlate
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 805
    Things that are cheap(er) make much better gateway drugs. Lower price of entry. For me it was discounted Pet Shops. 
    That is why the first one is always free, to get people hooked...or at least in the movies.
    SumoLego
    klinton said:
    I don't know anything about marketing, either.  How and why the Tower Bridge has such an unnaturally long life mystifies me.

But... I trust this group of LEGO marketing people to continue to sell me everything I didn't know I wanted, but that I cannot live without.
    Astrobricksklintongmonkey76560HeliportRonyarM1J0EMr_Cross
    That is why the first one is always free, to get people hooked...or at least in the movies.
    You know, the first taste is free... then you have to pay for the rest.
    gmonkey76ReesesPieces
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,215
    klinton said:

I do see what you mean - like how one might buy a starter set for the Ninjago spinners before any individual products.
    klinton
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 224
    edited August 20
    Did a little search— looks like Timmy has been making Brickset appearances for quite awhile... poor guy!  ;-)
    gmonkey76Pitfall69Baby_YodaBumblepantsSumoLegosid3windrGibbo1959LittleLori
    ^^ Timmy needs to shut his mouth.
    SumoLegoBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoFizyxmaaaaaaapharmjod
    edited August 21
    @Bumblepants

^ that’s truly frightening... BTW the “1” in the middle of all the exclamation points is what made it for me...
    BumblepantsPapaBear
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,779
    @Bumblepants

^ that’s truly frightening... BTW the “1” in the middle of all the exclamation points is what made it for me...
    In 2012 or 2013 a former frequent of these forums named @LegoFanTexas posted a picture of the shopping cart full of clearace he had gathered. It sparked a great outrage on behalf of the mythical Timmy who was denied by the evil reseller crowd. It was a wild time for sure. If you want some good laughs I suggest going all the way back to the origins of this thread and skimming through some of it.
    SumoLegogmonkey76dougtsPitfall69RonyarPapaBearjuggles7
    ^ I have been a Brickset lurker for quite a while but not back to 2012... I haven’t seen anything from @LegoFanTexas in quite a while... I will definitely go back and check those posts out!
    Little Timmy started out as an excuse to buy LEGO for yourself ("This one is for Little Timmy ..."), but then quickly became the child losing out by not being able to get Sun promos, then missing out at general clearances.

Timmy should have learned by now to get what he wants when he wants, although he is probably mid-teens now so may well be leaving lego behind for a while. But have you met his little sister Tammy ...

KungFuKennygmonkey76Gibbo1959Pitfall69maaaaaaaRonyarLittleLori
    edited August 21
    @Bumblepants

In 2012 or 2013 a former frequent of these forums named @LegoFanTexas posted a picture of the shopping cart full of clearace he had gathered. It sparked a great outrage on behalf of the mythical Timmy who was denied by the evil reseller crowd. It was a wild time for sure. If you want some good laughs I suggest going all the way back to the origins of this thread and skimming through some of it.
    There was also another user (2011Legomaniac), posting in the "how big is your collection" thread.

It started off here

but the photos have been removed although there is still one here:

Clearly stock rather than collection.

Of course LFT may have posted his inventory too at some stage.

KungFuKenny
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    Man all that seems like yesterday. I actually own the 4th post in this 668 page thread.  Long since our of the reeling game, and my own LEGO collecting has gone down about 80%, but I still lurk these days.  This thread always catches my eye when it has activity.  
    BumblepantsM1J0ESumoLegoPitfall69
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 266
    You could make a dramatic comedy best-selling book out of this thread. It’s fun to look back on those predictions and those off-topic discussions. 
    BumblepantsSumoLego
    You could make a dramatic comedy best-selling book out of this thread. It’s fun to look back on those predictions and those off-topic discussions. 
    I love seeing stuff like 'The Death Star is down to 200 units on Amazon, now is probably the time to buy if you still want one' - December 2011

Here we are in 2019 and apart from a brief few months when they updated to modern minifigs and adjusted the price its still on shelves.
    KungFuKennyGothamConstructionCogmonkey76SumoLegoMCNwakeboardPitfall69Baby_Yoda
    ^ See also #10214 Tower Bridge; #10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van; #10243 Parisian Restaurant
    MCNwakeboardPitfall69BumblepantsKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I am always wanting to read this thread from start to finish, but I ultimately come to my senses and decide that even Gungans have better things to do.

@Bumblepants ; I see that you posted a meme. Im.sure it is allowed seeing that this thread is just one big meme ;) I don't know if there will some sort of cosmic explosion for doing so or if it is the same as two streets with the same name intersecting one another....Maybe you have just reached the nexus of the universe.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
    Pitfall69 said:
    I am always wanting to read this thread from start to finish, but I ultimately come to my senses and decide that even Gungans have better things to do.

@Bumblepants ; I see that you posted a meme. Im.sure it is allowed seeing that this thread is just one big meme ;) I don't know if there will some sort of cosmic explosion for doing so or if it is the same as two streets with the same name intersecting one another....Maybe you have just reached the nexus of the universe.
    The rules don't apply in this thread. Especially when you spend hours to generate quality content like I did.
    Pitfall69KungFuKennyLobotsid3windrgmonkey76M1J0E
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I'm still waiting for someone to cite this thread in their "Economy 101" termpaper. "The economic and social ramifications of Hungrystan"
    gmonkey76
    Re-reading old post from this thread makes me laugh, but also make me cry when I am reminded of the sets I didn't pull the trigger on ( #10194, #10210...)