Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I'll but them if you don't.

• EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    So I took my DeLorean set out of storage today and was curios for how much they went for nowadays. I looked at BL and saw that it goes for $90? It really wasn't a very popular set because of its design, so why is it worth two and a half times the original price?
    SumoLego
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    prevere said:
    wagnerml2 said:
    I'll but them if you don't.

^If you sell any of your sets, please make sure they are cleaned really, really, really good.
    Ha!  The result of small phone and fat fingers!!!
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 522
    Double check to make sure the big sets aren't fake. I just find the part about being in bags with no boxes strange. The smaller sets wouldn't be fake but I wouldn't put it above people to sell some fake sets intentionally covered by smaller real lego sets.
    FollowsCloselycatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    So I took my DeLorean set out of storage today and was curios for how much they went for nowadays. I looked at BL and saw that it goes for $90? It really wasn't a very popular set because of its design, so why is it worth two and a half times the original price?
    Great Scott!!!!!!
    FollowsCloselygmonkey76ClutchPowerpharmjodEddieDoesntMindsnowhitiemldj77AustinPowersLegoboy
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,864
    Sometimes a set that isn't popular when it first comes out can perform better in the aftermarket than stuff that is massively popular and successful, just because there will be far fewer copies in circulation. The really popular stuff tends to flood the aftermarket as soon as kids "grow out of it" or adults decide to pare down their collections, but that doesn't happen so much with sets produced in smaller numbers that few people bought in the first place. Just compare the generally low aftermarket prices on Bionicle sets, which were a fairly long-lasting global craze, with the outrageously high aftermarket prices on the Avatar: The Last Airbender sets, which were a short-lived flop.

With both Back to the Future and Avatar, it helps that despite the sets being somewhat unpopular at their time of release, they're based on popular IPs with a lot of nostalgic value built up around them, and fans don't have any other non-Dimensions sets based on those IPs to choose from. Also in the case of Back to the Future specifically, it's part of a numbered series with other Cuusoo/Ideas products, so people buying the newer sets might later decide they want to go back and fill in the holes in their collection.
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterLyichirJackad7EddieDoesntMindstluxcatwranglerAdeelZubair
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    Iconic vehicle with iconic characters from an iconic movie.
    SumoLegoAanchirLyichirClutchPowercatwranglerAdeelZubair
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,710
    ^ Yep, I don't think BTTF fans care about the design.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,308
    @CCC, I'm a BTTF fan & I thought it was pretty damn fugly... Even if I found one being offered at 25% of original RRP, I'd only be getting it for parts (actually, I'd probably still give it a miss), especially after picking up the Dimensions BTTF packs, better minifigs & a proper hoverboard.
    CircleKgmonkey76
  • stefxanstefxan AustriaMember Posts: 61
    I saw the DeLorean for the original price in the store and liked it but it stayed there. At that time I wasn´t infected with the Lego virus again. So I bought it now for 150+...
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    CCC said:

I think it's more like "BTTF fans (who are also big Lego fans) don't care about the design".

I was a big BttF fan in the day, but I thought the Lego representation was a disservice and gladly sold my only copy of the set.
    pharmjod
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    edited February 2017
    I'm a mega BTTF fan, but I too intentionally didn't buy the set when it was available, as I think the design is awful, the parts mostly uninteresting (save the printed pieces of course) and the minifigs meh. I got the Dimensions BTTF Fun Pack with Doc Brown instead - at 50% off.
    gmonkey76
    CircleK said:
    CCC said:

I think it's more like "BTTF fans (who are also big Lego fans) don't care about the design".

I was a big BttF fan in the day, but I thought the Lego representation was a disservice and gladly sold my only copy of the set.
    From what I can tell it is the opposite. BTTF fans that aren't into lego like the fact that lego did BTTF and really really care about the bad design. Whereas lego fans that like BTTF don't really like the design.

I'm fairly ambivalent towards BTTF but thought the design was awful. I was glad I could make my money back selling used, that was before it was even retired.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 971
    edited February 2017
    Yes.
    Fireheart said:
    I wouldn't have even asked... And I'll be half way up the road picking it all up....
    prevere said:
    What a unique situation. That my friend is an incredible opportunity, just for #10179 alone. And how ironic that of all the sets on that list, the least appealing one is #10188.
    I was not expecting the baggies to be sealed. I was expecting some sets to be mixed together and lost pieces. But this was like Christmas in Feburary. I listed them all on bricklink last night at 25% off going rate.
    wagnerml2catwrangler
    It's good to know it worked out and wasn't a Craig's List lure and murder we always seem to hear about.

BumblepantsFollowsCloselysid3windrpreverePitfall69catwranglerVorpalRyu
    edited February 2017
    I am thankful as well! Oh and @CCC, I CC :)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    edited February 2017
    ^There was one time where I was buying on Clist - from this nice old guy. And he wanted me to see his Lego layout in the basement. He had some great classic space parts in bulk - that is worth dying for.

I figured I probably shouldn't but did anyways - hard to resist seeing other folks designs. Huge table with Magic Kingdom main street - it was fantastic and he had put so much work into it. I was happy he got to show it to someone.

He also gave me a relatively obscure big Lego Systems '80s poster with the shuttle and the mission shuttle transport (crawler) on it for free. So it was worth the 45 min drive to and fro. Since then, I've unfortunately become a little more paranoid on encounters like that.
    FollowsCloselycatwranglerasrfarinha
    ^ Was it better than 'that one time at band camp'...
    Pitfall69VorpalRyupharmjodgmonkey76
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    prevere said:
    So it was worth the 45 min drive to and fro. Since then, I've unfortunately become a little more paranoid on encounters like that.

BumblepantsEddieDoesntMindexciter1prevereVorpalRyuricecakepharmjodgmonkey76snowhitie
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really starting to get bored with the Marvel and DC Superhero themes and sets. Nothing really out of the ordinary since the Classic Batman Batcave and UCS Tumbler were released. It's now just a half-step above Ninjago and I don't see it having much aftermarket appeal going forward. Toss in the Lego Batman Movie and...well...stick a fork in it.
    SlapNutsSumoLego
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited February 2017
    ^ That's a valid point, but I think a lot of what drives the demand for super hero sets is the movies.  We all know how movies and TV shows copy success.  Super hero movies are very popular now, so there is a steady stream of them, and it seems to be never ending.  Kids don't seem to get too much of the super heroes, no matter how lack luster the LEGO sets are.  You know what they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think the super hero sets look pretty darn beautiful to kids today.  Shoot, even me (a granddad) can't wait to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.  And, I must have a mini 'minifig' Groot.  :-)
    Legogram
    LEGO knows what sells on the primary market. They don't need to do anything new with SH. Just repeat and repeat again. I wouldn't invest in any of the recent SH offerings for resale. Not just too many resellers these days, but too much repetition in subject. Why would anyone pay 2x RRP or more for an old set, when you can have a new one that is similar for RRP (or less)? They are becoming like the smaller SW sets. No investment potential. I think LEGO knows that too.
    SumoLego
    ^ I agree with that too.  (I'm in an agreeable mood today.  Just don't ask me for a loan. He He)  I think there will be some SH sets that go up in value much more than average, just as always.  Course, the key is determining which sets those are.  I like the Dr Strange and Batman Movie Batcave & Scuttler (Poison Ivy is awesome) sets, but if a ton are made and they hang around for a long time and a person can't get them at a good discount the profit margins may be low.  
    Thinking that there is a real potential we might see a repeat UCS B-Wing sale soon with the UCS TIE #75095. Came out in May '15. Thinking that we could see it for $100 (limit of 5) offer around May 4.

By comparison the UCS B-Wing was only available for 13 months before LEGO closed the door on it.

I'd bite.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ^^ I'm not so sure about that - only reason I say this is in Australia the B Wing was a very difficult set to find on shelves (I'm told this was similar in some Euro locations).  The Tie is sitting on most Target shelves here as I type.  I always felt the B- Wing was over supplied to certain markets.  Totally anecdotal and always happy to be wrong when it comes to discount UCS (even if us Antipodeans always miss out)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,710
    I dunno, the one thing I like are the different characters that are popping up in sets lately. The problem is most sets are only 'vehicles' to bring the character to market, and the sets are usually a bit 'overpriced' (IMO).
    I think the next double points event I may buy the Classic Bat cave though. I'll hate myself the next morning, but I really like the figures in that set.
    piratemania7Yodalicious
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 714
    Saw the first sale on Assault on Hoth last week on Amazon. 6% off. Hip hop hooray.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 593
    ^ I was thinking / hoping this will be the set that is discounted on May 4th...
    bluedragonRainstorm26TXLegoguy
    ^ Who retires a Caesar Salad?  That's like retiring coffee.
    SprinkleOttersid3windrPitfall69Jackad7
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited March 2017
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Who retires a Caesar Salad?  That's like retiring coffee.

Retire coffee? Fantastic idea! Coffee, to me, is a colossal waste of money, time, and energy. Sure, it gives you a temporary boost. But I seem to notice that people who drink it have more energy highs and lows than non-drinkers. It's almost like it wears out your body (up-down-up-down-up-down). And it's like any other drug- people seem to need more and more of it to feel "normal". And think of all the time I can save by not drinking it- I never go to Starbucks (for myself anyway), I don't have to sit and wait for coffee to brew (1 minute, 10 minutes- whatever, I don't have to wait), and I don't have to waste time shopping for coffee at the store. I also never spill coffee, don't need to have coffee mugs, etc. etc.

Of course, my coffee-less bliss is somewhat impaired by the coffee drinking habits of my spouse, but I digress...

monkeyhangersnowhitie
    ^ They will retire the choco-caramel flavour at the same time as introducing the caramel chocolate flavour.
    Yodalicious
    @nkx1, blasphemy! Coffee is life, want proof....anyone ever tries stop me getting coffee, they will die.
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterJackad7gmonkey76
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    This makes me laugh. I don't know how the people who work at Starbucks and the like actually put up with the majority of customers. If I was there, after the customer had asked for their ridiculously long named pointless drink (with marsh mallows and a dusting of chocolate sprinkles, obviously) I would just have to look them in the eye and say, 'you'll have this cup of tea and like it'. The irony is that in South America where most coffee is grown, they don't drink all this nonsense, they all drink basic Nescafe. Anyway does anyone actually have any predictions to get us back on topic?
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,483
    edited March 2017
    Only these guys know...

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,483

bandit778SprinkleOtterstluxcatwranglersnowhitiegmonkey76
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    edited March 2017
    I predict that this thread will constantly go off topic :)

BTW, Do they drink coffee and Caesar salads in Hungrystan?
    SprinkleOtterlentilVorpalRyugmonkey76
    ^ pretty safe prediction.  :-)
    Pitfall69VorpalRyu

woony2 said:
    This makes me laugh. I don't know how the people who work at Starbucks and the like actually put up with the majority of customers. If I was there, after the customer had asked for their ridiculously long named pointless drink (with marsh mallows and a dusting of chocolate sprinkles, obviously)
    Isn't the problem that Starbucks (and others) insist that their coffees have such long and ridiculous names, often in a mixture of languages. I rarely visit them, but last time I did (it probably wasn't Starbucks, maybe Cafe Nero) but I just asked for a coffee with milk, in a cup about this big along with a hand gesture to show the size. It didn't fit exactly with their menu - I cannot tell you if it was a tall or lungo or venti or medio or grande or whatever else they call it on the menu - but it was coffee with milk in about the size I wanted.
    SumoLegosnowhitieVorpalRyuwoony2sid3windr
    Reminds me of my favorite Al Pacino reference.  Not appropriate for work, but still relevant with respect to coffee...

snowhitieVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,319
    I actually had someone working in a coffee shop get snippy with me because I ordered a medium - "we don't do medium sir, we do small, regular or large"

so to make a point I ordered the second drink as a medium too.
    stluxVorpalRyubandit778catwranglerpharmjodsid3windrJackad7
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,962
    edited March 2017
    ^^ just watched the Denis Leary video, pretty darn funny, just what I needed to wake up, thanks.
    SprinkleOtterSumoLego
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 514
    Pitfall69 said:
    I predict that this thread will constantly go off topic :)

BTW, Do they drink coffee and Caesar salads in Hungrystan?
    thats probably a running gag here already... the thread with the most de-rails and re-rails in the forum. also: death star :P
    SumoLego said:
    Reminds me of my favorite Al Pacino reference.  Not appropriate for work, but still relevant with respect to coffee...
    Wish I could click like on this one a dozen more times, of all the Denis Leary skits, this would have to be one of my favourites.
    SumoLego
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 325
    Was wondering what people thought of as far as the investment potential of the lego sdcc sets I have been picking these up lately, and more specifically the exclusive brickheadz from last year 
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    @mh3490 - There's an old adage I heard a long time ago that seems to be especially applicable for investing in collectibles. It goes something like this: "The first dollar is the best dollar." The point here is the person who originally purchases an item has the best chance at making the most money off that item. For example, whoever originally purchased a particular SDCC Lego set at Comic-Con has the best potential to make money on that set. It's not that you can't make money...just not as much money. You may also have to wait longer to make that money meaning more risk.

Generally speaking - As has been said many times throughout this thread, the return on reselling Lego is not what it used to be. In fact, it's almost a requirement to purchase your sets on sale (below RRP); not purchase them after they've been marked up like most SDCC sets are.

More specifically - SDCC Lego sets are a niche market with buyers that have deep pockets. I have a lot of Lego sets, but have only purchased one authentic SDCC set. The reason I don't purchase SDCC sets is cost. My approach is usually to purchase custom SDCC minifigure replicas reproduced using real Lego parts (I only want SDCC minifigures) for 10% of the SDCC after-market price. I can then use the remaining 90% to purchase other Lego sets or minifigures. I did the same thing with Mr. Gold, and am very happy with the quality of all my custom purchases.
    That is why I buy the SDCC merch for myself, not for investing, I don't see the point in that, I liberate all them from their prisons, which kills their resale value. I just I wish had picked up Spider-Woman & the two Spidey SDCC figs when I had the chance, I argued with myself on the price & now she's impossible to find (they're the only Lego Marvel SDCC things I'm missing now, hopefully one day it will happen).
    DeeC2_Josh
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,710
    This just in from The Brick Fan. Apparently LEGO stores are going to start selling the retailer 'exclusives' in their brick and mortars now. So they will start to sell sets like Arkham Asylum, the Penguin set, and others.

BumblepantsPitfall69YodaliciousSumoLegoMooreFXAanchirexciter1gmonkey76snowhitie