Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 353
    Good news I say, unless you don't have it. If not, better scramble for it.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 766
    It'll retire. Some time. Maybe.
    pharmjodstlux
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    The Four Horsemen of the Lego Apocalypse were FB, DS, PS and TB.  If PS goes....we are but one EOL away from Armaggedon!
    SumoLegoYodaliciouscatwranglerbrumeyVorpalRyu
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,146
    (Technically, is the DS dead?  It's kinda un-dead.   The number changed, but the set remains the same.  It's pseudo-dead, the Diet Coke of dead... just one calorie, not dead enough...)

(Or for those that prefer an EX-EOL'd version.  The DS has ceased to be EOL!)

TheOriginalSimonBcatwranglerPitfall69sklambsnowhitieVorpalRyu
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 722
    I'd say the Death Star rerelease is like new coke it may be new, but very few like it. 
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegosnowhitie
    ^ I'm sticking with my Crystal Pepsi.
    TheMaker37
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    ^I thought you a TAB kinda guy ;)
    pharmjodSumoLegoBricklover18
    edited October 2016
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^I thought you a TAB kinda guy ;)
    I'm actually an R.C. Cola fan.  But my jokes have to make sense.  R.C. and TAB have been around for decades.

(Just like the Lego Death Star... full circle, baby, full circle!)

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/crystal-gravy/n10459
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 353
    Do they still make Tab?
    SumoLego
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    You do know that a reissued Pet Shop will be the 2017 modular, right?

Or has someone already made that joke? I'm not searching through 600+ pages to find out. :-P
    JudgeChuckpharmjodVorpalRyu
    lordzarak said:
    You do know that a reissued Pet Shop will be the 2017 modular, right?

Or has someone already made that joke? I'm not searching through 600+ pages to find out. :-P
    If Pet Shop stays out any longer it will be a reissue (sans new set number) in itself. The box has changed and so have some of the parts including the Minifigure heads. 
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 140
    madejp86 said:
    So I got the Holiday 2016 catalog and the petshop is not in there I am assuming it will retire shortly.
    I know everyone is having a laugh and all, but the fact that it didn't make it into the catalog (and I assume the other modulars are there) send the message that it's not being promoted as much anymore, and that seems like a significant enough sign that it might really be discontinued soon.

At least it's a better sign than some store employee half mentioning it...
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2016
    Was it in the previous 2016 catalogues? I don't have one to hand, so can't easily check.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,450
    Apparently the Symths winter catalogue still has PS, so some promotion of that set is still going on. Unless something went awry with their purchasing process and Smyths is now stuck with all remaining PS sets they now desperately want to get rid off...
    SprinkleOtter
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    madejp86 said:
    So I got the Holiday 2016 catalog and the petshop is not in there I am assuming it will retire shortly.
    I know everyone is having a laugh and all, but the fact that it didn't make it into the catalog (and I assume the other modulars are there) send the message that it's not being promoted as much anymore, and that seems like a significant enough sign that it might really be discontinued soon.

This theory was launched previously many times in this thread in regards to other modulars, and has been disproven over and over again

i believe I pointed out this EXACT argument for why FB might be gone clear back in 2011 or 2012, and it hung on for years past the "it's not in the catalog" point.  Same goes for GE
    SumoLego
  • spepperspepper Davie, FLMember Posts: 157
    Dawn said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    If Pet Shop stays out any longer it will be a reissue (sans new set number) in itself. The box has changed and so have some of the parts including the Minifigure heads. 
    In the new Pet Shop they updated the minifigs, the kid is now an adult, the painter has retired and the man and woman are now grand parents. The dog and the cat are now living in a farm in Montana and have been replaced with look alikes.
    Don't forget the new and stylish dog's hairpiece
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,480
    dougts said:
    madejp86 said:

This theory was launched previously many times in this thread in regards to other modulars, and has been disproven over and over again

i believe I pointed out this EXACT argument for why FB might be gone clear back in 2011 or 2012, and it hung on for years past the "it's not in the catalog" point.  Same goes for GE
    It may be wrong multiple times, but it is always right once - the last time. :-)
    stluxdougts
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Thoughts onot the merits of Mystery Mansion?( minus the obvious Wilma figure debate) . I have the Machine and am really tempted to get the mansion before it retires.

Anyone with a clue about its future ?

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,764
    Vortex said:
    Thoughts onot the merits of Mystery Mansion?( minus the obvious Wilma figure debate) . I have the Machine and am really tempted to get the mansion before it retires.

Wilma? I'm afraid you've got the wrong Hanna Barberra show, mate!
    Pitfall69juggles7
    edited October 2016
    Lol , yes I'm sorry , I did just realise," Velma" is what I meant  :)
     Vortex said:

Yabba Dabba Doooo you even know what characters and sets you are talking about? ;)
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegosnowhitie
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,161
    Technically, the Pet Shop is not completely absent from the catalog. On page 9 it is pictured alongside the Palace Cinema in an inset picture with the other modulars.

So clearly there's no reason to panic over it disappearing. On the other hand, I recall this happening with Fire Brigade as well, so maybe it is time to panic. Or not. 
    edited October 2016
    The Ewok Village and the Sandcrawler aren't in the catalog, either.

(So... is now the perfect time to panic?)
    starwars4everVorpalRyuTheMaker37
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,894
    Okay, if the Ewok Village and Sandcrawler are going, I believe I shall formally begin to panic.
    Count on you lads to give a guy a typo error break . Yes I do know what I was talking about . So , ignoring the fohpa , any thoughts?
    Count on you lads to give a guy a typo error break . Yes I do know what I was talking about . So , ignoring the fohpa , any thoughts?
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    The Nexo Knights Fortrex is also missing from the catalog. What does it mean?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,453
    @Vortex - it's a nice set, great for this time of year, but in terms of aftermarket I suspect it is mainly the one minifigure that will make it desirable.
     Overall (aside from the vehicle aesthetics) the Scooby Doo theme wasn't that different from the Monster Fighters theme so there's always a chance of another horror/monster type theme that reduces Scooby Doo to being complete about the main minifigures.
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 37
    Vortex said:
    faux pas
    Lyichirpharmjod
    Vortex said:
    faux pas
    Foofa?

Pitfall69DoctorMcGann
    Foux du fa fa

PoMoPink
    SumoLego said:
    Vortex said:
    faux pas
    Foofa?

Yo Gabba Gabba; my oldest used to love that show. She still has all the characters still.
    SumoLego
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,764
    Pitfall69 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Vortex said:
    faux pas
    Foofa?

Yo Gabba Gabba; my oldest used to love that show. She still has all the characters still.
    Chained up in the basement, I assume? ;)
    TheMaker37
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    My kids were a bit old for the Yo Gabba Gabba era, which suited me just fine.  My nephew watched the show and it reminded me too much of some late night "experiments" in college.....

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Pitfall69 said:

Still? =)
    Pitfall69exciter1
    Pitfall69 said:
    Chained up in the basement, I assume? ;)
    With the Teletubbies and Bananas in Pajamas.
    SprinkleOtterVorpalRyuTheMaker37
    pharmjod said:
    Pitfall69 said:

Still? =)
    Yeah, she still has the characters still in the basement still; right next to the Teletubbies still and keeping them chained up keeps them still. Oh, and all that is right next to to still...still...because looking at D.J. Lance makes me want to drink.
    SumoLegopharmjodcatwranglerVorpalRyu
    ^ Don't bite your friends.

Pitfall69brumeysnowhitie
  • the1whitetigerthe1whitetiger in a pile of LegoMember Posts: 20
    So I was looking at the Lego Shop online and on the front page ist said: Get the Angry Birds sets before they fly off the shelf. So what does that mean? Are they retiring? How long were Toy story sets available? I do not think they are a good investment. I have some for the parts but got a good deal on them. I was just wondering if Sets based on movies retire faster than others. I haven't paid much attention to those sets in the past... Or maybe the shelves are loaded with them because no one is buying and they keep falling out? No idea... *hoping to end the Faux pas discussion* :-)
    Might not mean anything - could just be that they needed a cheesy marketing line and went, "birds fly... OH, I've got an idea!!"
    stluxBumblepants
  • the1whitetigerthe1whitetiger in a pile of LegoMember Posts: 20
    Well also an option. Just thought that maybe it had to move in order to make space for other movie themed sets.
    That's right; there was the news about Pirates of the Caribbean...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,436
    They are not going to keep making Angry Birds sets without a movie to support it. I expect whatever remains after Christmas will hit the January clearance bin in most shops. Might last a little longer online and on dusty Toys R Us shelves but that is probably it.
    madforLEGO
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Might last a little longer online and on dusty Toys R Us shelves but that is probably it.
    Until the sequel...
    So I was looking at the Lego Shop online and on the front page ist said: Get the Angry Birds sets before they fly off the shelf. So what does that mean? Are they retiring? How long were Toy story sets available? I do not think they are a good investment. I have some for the parts but got a good deal on them. I was just wondering if Sets based on movies retire faster than others. I haven't paid much attention to those sets in the past... Or maybe the shelves are loaded with them because no one is buying and they keep falling out? No idea... *hoping to end the Faux pas discussion* :-)
    It probably means they haven't been selling so well and someone has been told to give them an extra little push.
    madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,653
    It is that time of year again!!!! It will be interesting to see what is 'retiring soon' and retired this fall. Typically this is when sets start selling out and not coming back into stock..
    So what is everyone's guesses this year (besides 'see last years list')?

I still see the following retiring sooner than later (I would presume by December, but not willing to stake a bet on it) :
    Tower Bridge
    Pet Shop
    VW Camper
    Fairground Mixer
    Ecto-1
    Ewok Village
    Death Star (just kidding)
    UCS Sandcrawler
    Mini Cooper
    Santa's workshop
    The Simpsons house (Simpsons Kwik e mart?)
    Older City sets (like Demo site theme) will likely be discounted to move by the end of this year

Blue Cargo train or heavy haul train (because I am hard pressed to see LEGO keep both out for an extended time). Blue cargo train is older, but Heavy Haul train could be one of those one and done 'special' types of train, in any case both seem a bit overpriced, considering the masssive discounts see on the Blue cargo train in the past year (as well as LEGO discounting the Heavy Haul train occasion by 20-25%, at least in the US)
    William_Townsley