Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:

You Kant be serious.
    You silly Kan...

:-)

(Does that work stateside?)
    Probably not, we are a bunch of grammar morons.
    SprinkleOtter
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,743

Hmm. Wait. Wheatly sounds British...
    Bumblepants
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    SumoLego said:

Probably not, we are a bunch of grammar morons.
    Nowt to do wi' grammar.
    SprinkleOtter
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    TigerMoth said:

It has nothing to do with grammar; it's simply the name of the thing.

Unfortunately, all written language has grammatical rules including names; otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion about using articles in front of proper names. Following your grammatical rules for using articles with proper names (i.e., it's simply the name of the thing), the following sentences would also be grammatically correct:
    1. I hiked Appalachian Trail.
    2. I visited Louvre and saw Mona Lisa.
    3. David Cameron is Prime Minister of United Kingdom.
    4. I watched Cleveland Cavaliers win the NBA finals.
    5. I went on a cruise in Mediterranean Sea.
    6. I saw President of the United States on TV.
    And wouldn't it be more appropriate to refer to the bridge as "Tower Bridge of London" since there are other "Tower Bridges" in the world (e.g., California, Utah, etc.)? When I say the Tower Bridge, I am referring to the specific bridge/set (hence, the definite article) everyone generally recognizes when they hear it's name.

But whatever...time to move along. Nothing to see here (at least not related to Lego).

BumblepantslegomentaldougtsTheLoneTensorCupIsHalfEmptyOmastar
    edited June 2016
    I read Brickset Forum and now write like @Farmer_John.

Quickly approaching Yoda speech patterns, we are. 

And the Tower Bridge of London is in Arizona.  Try to convey that information without it sounding funny.

So.... who expects a scale re-release of the Eiffel Tower?  And how would that effect the value of the prior version.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 496

Affect, surely?

As to down or up, that would likely depend on whether or not the new version is viewed as an improvement. (It will be interesting to watch the verdict on the Beetle sets, which reveal an almost Technic-like split between the studly and the smooth schools of Lego design.)

Sadly, the bridge in Arizona not only isn't the Tower Bridge, but also isn't the London Bridge--only its 19th-century replacement. (I will admit that composing that sentence was...complicated.)

SumoLego
  • GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2016
    Affect it is...although I seem to remember "affect" was something to do with an emotional impact as opposed to "effect" being a change of a thing.  Did they change the meaning of has it always been: affect=verb, effect=noun?
    SumoLego
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    Sadly this is the most activity this thread has seen in a month
    catwrangler
    Ya'll stealing TigerMoth's thunder.  
    3stackshs said:
    Sadly this is the most activity this thread has seen in a month
    I think the lack of obvious retirements is making thing drag a bit.  Although is the consensus that the Pet Shop has finally retired?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2016
    ^stealing TigerMoth's the Thunder.
    Still going strong over here:

pharmjod
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Not here

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited June 2016
    Greendude said:
    Affect it is...although I seem to remember "affect" was something to do with an emotional impact as opposed to "effect" being a change of a thing.  Did they change the meaning of has it always been: affect=verb, effect=noun?
    You can use "effect" as a verb, but it means something more along the lines of "to make, bring about, or implement".  For example, you can effect a change that affects many people.
    LyichirAanchirpharmjodkiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Grammar is fun! Makes me want to sing "Conjunction Junction"!
    exciter1
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    TigerMoth said:

It has nothing to do with grammar; it's simply the name of the thing.

Unfortunately, all written language has grammatical rules including names; otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion about using articles in front of proper names.
    It is nothing to do with grammar. It's simply down to local naming.

Big Ben is a nickname that is applied to the Elizabeth Tower. One has "the"; the other does not.

You might climb the Eiffel tower, but you don't climb the Everest. In fact, seeing as the former is actually La Tour Eiffel, you certainly don't climb the La Tour Eiffel.

So, on a tour of London, you might go to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, the Palace of Westminster, Buckingham Palace and the London Eye.

It doesn't just relate to Britain, either. A trip round Paris might take you to the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Sacré-Coeur.

I don't believe that Americans go to the Carnegie Hall or the Grand Central Station (or Terminal), but it's their country and can call them what they like.
    Following your grammatical rules for using articles with proper names (i.e., it's simply the name of the thing), the following sentences would also be grammatically correct:

3. David Cameron is Prime Minister of United Kingdom.
    Actually he is. Just as Nicola Sturgeon is First Minister of Scotland. David Cameron is also a Member of Parliament - he is Member of Parliament for Witney. Articles come and go, are sometimes required, are sometimes optional and are sometimes absent.
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 446
    When is Assault on Hoth retiring?
    BumblepantsCurvedRoadPlatepiratemania7
    Isn't it 'the' Assault on Hoth?
    It'll be here for at least one Star Wars Day 50% sale yet...
    May Fourth be with you. 
    bandit778Pitfall69pharmjodpiratemania7RonyarOmastar
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    edited June 2016
    SumoLego said:
    Ya'll stealing TigerMoth's thunder.  
    I think the lack of obvious retirements is making thing drag a bit.  Although is the consensus that the Pet Shop has finally retired?
    Dozens of posts debating proper grammar and we see this?  Put on a pot of coffee.

(Or is that an intentional devilishly clever post?)
    LegoboySprinkleOtterFarmer_JohnryjayBumblepantsOmastar
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,773
    An image that I first saw here in the forum and still smile each time I see it.  Taught me to keep my mouth shut.....most of the time.  :)
    VorpalRyu
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    TigerMoth said:

Or come to that, the name of the set.
    Nice sentence Mr. Perfect.

I get that you like to be a complete douche about these and a great many other kinds of topics just because you're behind a keyboard and not saying these ridiculous things to someone's actual face.  But, can you at least try to scale it back?  Maybe shoot for being just the douche bag and not the entire, fully-assembled douche.  That would be helpful.  Thanks!
    VorpalRyuShiblegomentalOmastar
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    ^Constuct-a-Douche???
    SprinkleOtterdougtsSumoLegoVorpalRyuBumblepantsdavetheoxygenmanOmastar
    That's brilliant.  Lego Ideas, here I come!
    SprinkleOtterPitfall69SumoLegoVorpalRyuBumblepantsOmastar
  • samphuelsamphuel WalesMember Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

Few topics I'd like to discuss.

Doctor Who Ideas set is now reduced. (£50 to £35), what is your speculation on its price increase of the coming years. As Doctor Who became considerably popular in the US over the past few years, do you recon it could help in the discontinued market?

Secondly, Star Wars Episode 7 Sets are also reduced. Making way for Rogue One I guess. Would any of these sets be worth the purchase? Poe's X Wing (£70 to £50) could be promising, the Millennium Falcon (£130 to £90) has had too many releases and after the UCS release and I doubt it would ever reach the same success as its predecessors.

What do you all think?
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2016
    Word Crimes, that's what this is.... :-)

VorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    ^^ The Doctor Who set has been discounted at ~£35 for quite a while and there will be loads stashed away. No doubt it'll go up when retired but it is a cheapish set, and needs to increase quite a bit to be worth it after shipping and fees, etc.
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Constuct-a-Douche???
    Over-under on the after-market value of Construct-a-Douche vs. Construct-a-Zurg?
    Pitfall69VorpalRyu
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ I'd say equal. After all, Zurg was quite the douche until he and Buzz reconciled.
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegoVorpalRyu
    CCC said:
    ^^ The Doctor Who set has been discounted at ~£35 for quite a while and there will be loads stashed away. No doubt it'll go up when retired but it is a cheapish set, and needs to increase quite a bit to be worth it after shipping and fees, etc.
    I'd be interested to see if they do a follow-up set at some point (like the Micro-World Minecraft sets and the GB sets).  Then you'd have a lot of retroactive justification for hoarding the Ideas set.

(We are allowed to talk about this in here.)
    VorpalRyu
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Constuct-a-Douche???
    Over-under on the after-market value of Construct-a-Douche vs. Construct-a-Zurg?
    ^ I'd say equal. After all, Zurg was quite the douche until he and Buzz reconciled.
    It all depends on what firing mechanism Construct-a-Douche will have. Will it fire water and vinagar or just jibberish?
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuricecake
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited June 2016
    ^or just definite articles?
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuYodalicious
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    ^it's an internet forum....why else would you be here?
    VorpalRyuAanchir
    edited June 2016
    Pitfall69 said:
    It all depends on what firing mechanism Construct-a-Douche will have. Will it fire water and vinagar or just jibberish?
    I want some flick-fire jibberish.

(And some fire water. Fire water makes grammar rules more bearable.)
    VorpalRyuRainstorm26
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited June 2016
    bionicle skull line d2c for good ?

i suppose the theme was not a good seller, so they will stick around at toy retailers for quite
    some time me thinks!
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I've stayed silenced through this, but after careful analysis I've determined that if I go to THE Wal-Mart, like we do here in the the Midwest, or get dinner from THE Kentucky Fried Chicken or THE McDonalds.....then I definitely go to see THE Tower Bridge when I'm in London.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 867
    brumey said:
    bionicle skull line d2c for good ?

i suppose the theme was not a good seller, so they will stick around at toy retailers for quite
    some time me thinks!
    I'm sure there will be the occasional leftover Bionicle sets at many retailers—that's been the case for a long time, even back when the theme was one of Lego's most successful themes.

I don't see how that has anything to do with "D2C", though. None of the Bionicle set have been D2C sets. Are you trying to use that as an abbreviation for "discontinued" or something? Because generally that term refers to "Direct to Consumer" sets like the Modular Buildings, UCS Star Wars sets, and so forth.
    wagnerml2 said:
    I've stayed silenced through this, but after careful analysis I've determined that if I go to THE Wal-Mart, like we do here in the the Midwest, or get dinner from THE Kentucky Fried Chicken or THE McDonalds.....then I definitely go to see THE Tower Bridge when I'm in London.
    Don't forget to stop by Kmarts.
    pharmjodBumblepantsRainstorm26CircleK
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    OH MY

i always thought d2c means discontinued°!
    shame on me!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    wagnerml2 said:

Sorry to have to correct you again.

... then I definitely go to see THE Tower Bridge when I'm in THAT London.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3lq6ra

wagnerml2brumeySumoLego
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    wagnerml2 said:
    I love it when my in-laws pluralize singular nouns (I'm going to Wal-Marts, Krogers, K-Marts, Belks, etc). I think that's mainly a southern thing though.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Is it a pluralization or a possessive?  "I go to Kmart's", as if it belongs to Kmart because Kmart is a person.......Because Kmart is a person....I've met him.  He is in a constant state of being out of date and going bankrupt.

YodaliciousSumoLegojosekalelFarmer_John
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,514
    My grandmother always called it K-Mark. Pretty sure she thought some guy named Mark founded it.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    I wondered if it was a possessive too. Here you sometimes hear people say they're going to Tesco's, or Marks & Spencer's...
    edited June 2016
    pharmjod said:
    wagnerml2 said:
    I love it when my in-laws pluralize singular nouns (I'm going to Wal-Marts, Krogers, K-Marts, Belks, etc). I think that's mainly a southern thing though.
    What, like Legos?

That is pretty annoying.

Wonder if the app is right for once 
    CCCLEGOFan2
    ^ I think it left off a 23...
    Bricklover18
    I checked the in store price thing and it is indeed $.93
    ^ Were there multiple?