Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    They  were brand new ,but i chose something else instead ( ghostbusters #21108 £33. ) I've been really strict this year , only getting the Lego I know I will open.  
    Thanks
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 40
    ^ Wow the day has finally arrived.  I expected fireworks and celebrations, but it just quietly slipped into retirement in the middle of the night. 
    brickupdate
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 40
    ^ But still alive in the US
    kiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,706
    edited December 2015
    Part of me really wants to buy one, because there is no guarantee if the rumored one will be an updated version of #10188 or something else, never mind that regardless of the type of model it will likely be more expensive than this new one to come out. The negative is the price of #10188, an awful lot of cash to fork over for me right now.
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    #75052 am looking for opinions on the Cantina future value as there are a few around at discount and it's retired
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Part of me really wants to buy one, because there is no guarantee if the rumored one will be an updated version of #10188 or something else, never mind that regardless of the type of model it will likely be more expensive than this new one to come out. The negative is the price of #10188, an awful lot of cash to fork over for me right now.
    After seeing TFA, I do not think we will be seeing an OT Death Star in the near future.
    Brickaholickiki180703pharmjodbrickupdateShpadoinkleBrickDancerLegoFanTexasshikadiGoldchains
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,684
    Or another OT cantina.
    Brickaholickiki180703pharmjodbrickupdatePitfall69VorpalRyuRainstorm26Goldchains
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    CCC said:
    Or another OT cantina.
    That actually sucks, because they could have done so much more with the last one. The Cantina scene in ANH is one of my favorite. Both of the sets LEGO has released were subpar. The Landspeeder makes a nice little set on its own; it didn't need to be included in either Cantina sets.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703juggles7
    edited December 2015
    Cantina could have been better, I mean no other of the bar patrons in it and only three of the musicians.
    That being said still likely not going to see one for a while, so it was still worth to buy one.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,904
    Pitfall69 said:
    CCC said:
    Or another OT cantina.
    That actually sucks, because they could have done so much more with the last one. The Cantina scene in ANH is one of my favorite. Both of the sets LEGO has released were subpar. The Landspeeder makes a nice little set on its own; it didn't need to be included in either Cantina sets.
    I think the Landspeeder is the SW equivalent of a helicopter in a City set.
    pharmjodVorpalRyukiki180703Rainstorm26BumblepantsPitfall69brickupdateGothamConstructionCoLostInTranslation
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    We need another ithorian with an updated mold. 
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    The Cantina set was rather poor IMO.  Considering that it appeals mostly to AFOLs it really should have been a $100 set with ten or more minifigs. 
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Wow the day has finally arrived.  I expected fireworks and celebrations, but it just quietly slipped into retirement in the middle of the night. 
    ^ This...

It finally went, I'm a bit shocked, but I shouldn't be...  Took it bloody long enough!  :)

I sold off my stock for about cost about 18 months ago, got tired of holding it.  I have one sealed copy left.  :)

Might grab one more.
    tick1970brickupdate
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Just sold my first DS for almost £500 shipped.... If thats any indication, its going to be a winner.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    One DS just sold for £401 plus £15 posting on eBay, a sure Winner indeed:)
    mathew said:
    The Cantina set was rather poor IMO.  Considering that it appeals mostly to AFOLs it really should have been a $100 set with ten or more minifigs. 
    I know 7 or 8 families where the kids have a cantina. I don't think it appealing mostly to adults is right. I imagine more are in the hands of kids than AFOLs.
    AanchirBrickaholickiki180703
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2015
    CCC said:
    mathew said:
    I know 7 or 8 families where the kids have a cantina. I don't think it appealing mostly to adults is right. I imagine more are in the hands of kids than AFOLs.

I agree with you about the Cantina.

But almost all Lego sets would have a much greater distribution with kids than AFOL's, even those sets aimed more towards adults. That's purely due to the huge number of kids into Lego compared to AFOL's.

• scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 700

I saw some comments in this discussion much earlier about thoughts of Jurassic World sets coming back to shelves after X-Mas.  Don't no if it's been mentioned...but I noticed last night on the shop.lego.com site the Jurassic World heading has been removed from the "Themes" category.  You can still do the 'search' for sets but no longer is it 'one click away'.

edited December 2015
    scotty12 said:

I saw some comments in this discussion much earlier about thoughts of Jurassic World sets coming back to shelves after X-Mas.  Don't no if it's been mentioned...but I noticed last night on the shop.lego.com site the Jurassic World heading has been removed from the "Themes" category.  You can still do the 'search' for sets but no longer is it 'one click away'.

IMO That likely is a snafu with their site more than a possible indicator of a line being discontinued/sold out, especially if the items can be found still
    VorpalRyu
    Death Star is sold out at Amazon...
    FollowsClosely
    pharmjod said:
    ..and sold out on [email protected] US
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    pharmjod said:
    ..and sold out on [email protected] US
    ...and sold out on [email protected] CA
    It's been sold out all of the SAH sites. Amazon was the last hurrah. 
    Pitfall69VorpalRyuFollowsCloselykiki180703
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 961
    There where three left after I grabbed my last one.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    I'm sure it's still available at TRU because of the markup. For example, it's retail price is $499.99CAD and TRU sells it at $599.99CAD!!!!!
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, like most desirable sets, once gone from LEGO's site, the wildfire sweeps through every other retailer in the US, even TRU in this case.
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    #10234 Sydney Opera House is reduced by just over 10% on TRU UK. Any thoughts on this being a good entry point for this one from an investing POV
    SumoLego
  • novicebuilder101novicebuilder101 Member Posts: 130
    mathew said:
    That's why you need two sets. Make a bigger Cantina, fill out your band, have two dewbacks... Sell off the speeder and extra minifigs.
    ryjay
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,904
    SOH is a tough one to gauge.  I would assume good appreciation, nothing as good as the Taj Mahal, but you have to 'worry' about its longevity - and thus a much higher post-retirement availablilty.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    mathew said:
    That's why you need two sets. Make a bigger Cantina, fill out your band, have two dewbacks... Sell off the speeder and extra minifigs.
    That's what we did, well, we didn't sell off anything, but we made one bigger cantina out of two. And plus you  now have a longer bar creatures can mosey up to...if we had creatures that is.  But you can do a little customizing to the second Obi Wan and turn him into the bar tender.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Not seen this come up yet, so here goes.  How long do people think that the dimensions sets will last?  With the next wave hitting the shelves in the new year will we start to see the originals disappearing?
    And what are we thinking aftermarket will be like? I can see some (portal anyone?) doing OK due to the minifigures, but as lots have nothing unique about them I guess there are some dead ducks in there.
  • JetWing34JetWing34 Michigan, USAMember Posts: 38
    I'm not good with predicting discontinuations of sets, but I'm predicting #76025 (Green Lantern vs Sinestro) will definitely get discontinued by next year. I'm only predicting if it will get discontinued between mid-January and spring.

According to a deal on the main page, it's 15% off regular price on Amazon USA.
    I wouldn't invest in Portal ones just for the minifigs.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I have not bought any of the other toy-based video games before, so I have no idea how long "extra" components are kept available on the shelves. My assumption would be that the level packs would have to be out for a while, considering they are a key part of the game.

I probably would not touch any of them for resale purposes until they have some sort of 50% sale or something. I like the figs on some of them, but even the rolling 25-30% off this holiday season has not been enough to get me to bite.
    ^there is only one on bricklink for the whole of Europe currently (£8) without her portal gun.  I'm not suggesting Chell will ever be £30 on her own - the prices of the pack in europe and US will make sure of that, I just reckon she won't be cheap.  Combine that with the other printed pieces in the pack and you could get do OK if you find them at 50%.  Ah well, maybe not the best bet.  I'm more interested in how long they will be around I guess.
    William_Townsley
    The parts of Chell minus the gun were available on bricks and pieces (inc legs in US but not Europe). So there are going to be large stocks available on the market very soon. I know of one reseller that apparently had three orders, each with 200 in. I'd wait to see what happens on BL in the first few weeks of January before starting to purchase them at retail.
    Not sure how lego wouldn't notice that they were for a reseller with 600 ordered! So the gun is going to be the piece to have then!
    I just hope that dimension sets are around until mid next year for me to get them, though part of me thinks that army builder type sets, like the Doctor Who sets, will sell out faster due to more of those stocks wanted.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    I see this current widely available 33% off discount of the first wave as a standard price until wave 3 hits shelves. I would guess that would be fall 2016. All in all - the first wave will probably get about 12 months of availability.

Then again, if Biff gets his hands on the Almanac and goes back in time to change the universe, we could all be eating out of trash cans.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    SumoLego said:
    I'm pretty sure the speeder bike has already claimed that honor.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuexciter1
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I just hope that dimension sets are around until mid next year for me to get them, though part of me thinks that army builder type sets, like the Doctor Who sets, will sell out faster due to more of those stocks wanted.

The nature of the market for toys-to-life means these will be around for a long, long, long time. You can still by original Skylanders from five years ago. 
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    I would much prefer that scenario. It just depends how fast Lego wants to pump out new fun and level packs.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 852
    binaryeye said:
    SumoLego said:
    I'm pretty sure the speeder bike has already claimed that honor.
    I think speeder bikes are more equivalent to ATVs—common in smaller sets, sometimes added into larger sets as well, and given to pretty much every faction.
    SumoLego
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,319
    Ma1234 said:

The nature of the market for toys-to-life means these will be around for a long, long, long time. You can still by original Skylanders from five years ago. 
    I don't think that it's a safe assumption to link the two, while i do think some dimensions packs will likely have a long shelf life I think that theres a chance they might rely on the limited time frames of availability to drive sales. Given that they might release packs that tie in with specific films etc I'd imagine those will be handled like sets in that theme, with production focused mainly on having them around mainly for the release of the film with another run if they sell really well.
    ^And unlike the competition who may keep producing for a long time, we know the Lego only produces a finite amount of each part then they get taken out of production.  For sure, you will be able to pick up the unpopular characters (chima maybe) for a long time, but I can see the popular ones being gone before we know it - not a risk worth taking as I can see the aftermarket being a bit interesting (read lost and covered in teeth marks) as I doubt many people will buy and keep sealed. (As @CCC says, they at least seem not to be a great investment.)
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    When do you think tower bridge will go?
    edited December 2015
    When do you think tower bridge will go?
    I wish it went a year ago; I think every is guessing it is on borrowed time now. However, it would not surprise me if it were extended again another year.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I can't bring myself to pay for Dimensions. I want to play it, but it's a pretty huge investment.

I'm interested to see how the Death Star does. 

Also of an interesting note, while #10240 the Red Five X-Wing has been sold out on the U.S. [email protected] for a while now, my local Lego store had 4 or 5 sitting on the shelf just a couple weeks ago.