Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    That's a lot of asshat.
    kiki180703pharmjodVorpalRyudougts
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    ^ Asshat is a fantastic new derogatory term for asshats.
    kiki180703VorpalRyu
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited November 2015
    The guys who want to quick flip something they haven't yet paid for sounds more like a D-bag than asshat. I typically reserve asshat (or ass clown) for someone who does something stupid. Those scenarios feel more like a D-bag move. Just a thought :) Asshat works too though.
    VorpalRyu
    edited November 2015
    The asshat taunting little kids and their parents at the store are definitely asshats.  

I would say that the ass clown is the guy taunting little kids at the store just before the store manager gives the set to the kid.

The D-Bag is the guy that gets there at 9:01am and clears out the section before anyone is none the wiser.

(Am I happy we settled that!)
    VorpalRyudougts
    ^ Ah, so much clearer now. Thank you for clarifying. I'd hate to unfairly call someone a D-bag, when in fact they are actually an asshat. :)
    VorpalRyu
    edited November 2015
    Although, the terms are not mutually exclusive.  An enterprising d-bag could also be an asshat or an ass clown as well...

VorpalRyuchuckp
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Sumo for that clarification, so, if you reread my post, substitute d-bag where I mentioned asshat. Fortunately Myer got their stock of SD sets a couple of days later & also had a 20% price reduction, so we didn't have to wait too long for a Mystery Mansion & Mystery Machine. Big W, Target & Kmart could learn a thing or two from Myer, the staff at Myer stores will limit the number purchases on new arrivals.
    chuckpxiahna
    ^ Wait, wait, now I'm all confused. I thought you used asshat properly. Ugh, this is like Calculus 3 all over again. Someone please post their thoughts on a discontinued set and it's market value. Please.   ;)
    VorpalRyuTheLoneTensor
    edited November 2015
    I'll take a stab at it...

I've been monitoring the Grand Emporium - it seems to be slowly increasing in value, but there is a glut of available options - much like the Fire Brigade.

Doesn't appear to have the retirement 'bump' that the TH got.  

(Although, I just nabbed a used one for $125.00 earlier today.)

Should we expect to see appreciation on par with the Fire Brigade?  Or the more lucrative appreciation associated with the Town Hall?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    edited November 2015
    I think that from eBay sold listings that the GE has caught up or is really close to the FB right now in terms of the price. It could surpass it as I'm not sure how many people really bought GEs compared to FBs.In any case I doubt that the GE will rise as rapidly as the TH.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    While it is not exactly a nice thing to do, it is all down to lego supply. If that store was bringing out more sets from the back the next hour / day and the next and the next, then resellers wouldn't be stocking up in the first place. If lego limits the supply to retail stores, then resellers (or indeed the general public buying just one each) can soon clear shelves causing panic.
    Lego apparently has control on set pricing, why don't they exert the same control to enforce limits at retailers?

Ultimately it's the store's and Lego's fault that this kind of thing could even occur.  If they choose to say something like "That takes too much effort," then they are effectively saying that it's not worth fixing the rare asshat situation.
    VorpalRyuTheBigLegoski
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128

Lego apparently has control on set pricing, why don't they exert the same control to enforce limits at retailers?

Am pretty sure they do.

• PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128
    edited November 2015

From the current themes I am the most optimistic about the lego minecraft sets.

I see a growing popularity of the theme. It is a nice collectible serie for a relatively affordable price. You can often buy them with a nice discount as well.

Think from the first series the ender dragon might do best,followed by the mine.

The mine is pretty unique and the ender set was not that popular so it could be relatively rare.

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,575
    Sadly, quantity limits simply don't work for retail sales. If somebody has 10 copies of a set in their cart, it could mean they have 10 people on their list that are receiving that set as a gift, or they could be getting donated to one of the many organizations that gives away toys to kids who would otherwise not get any toys this time of year. OR they could be an asshat. There is no way to tell the difference visually. I would have never known that the guy I saw in Target was an asshat if he had kept his mouth shut.

Suppose there was a one per customer limit on a new set, and you have 3 kids that want it - would you really want to have to buy it from 3 different stores?
    Pmh said:

Am pretty sure they do.

I cannot think of any retailers that limit (except Lego themselves). 
    Amazon is the only one, and they do it the best by far.  I.e. limiting purchase quantities per week.
    juggles7dougtsVorpalRyu
    Yeah, I meant b&m but even so, Amazon has some strange limits. Even tiny sets have limits on them, they don't seem to be strategic when they apply them.
    I don't see why any retailer would set a limit.  The idea is to sell as much product as possible as quickly as possible.

(Asshats, Ass Clowns and D-Bags nonwithstanding.)

The retailer isn't obliged to take back a product if the value on the secondary market doesn't work out...

I wouldn't personally clear out a section of Lego for profiteering purposes, but I did buy Tickle-Me-Elmo back in the day when the craze was in full effect.

Did I think of the children 'deprived' of their under-produced Elmo?  Nope.  I was happy to have a new engine in my car that got me to work...
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,575
    My apologies to everyone for starting this ruckus. If the moderators think it should be split into a separate thread I agree that would be appropriate, as this thread really is for the discussion of secondary market values, not asshats.

While the retailer is not obliged to take back a product if the secondary market does not work out, many retailers do have extended return policies this time of year and are obliged to accept returns based on those policies. That makes it easy to buy up a lot of local inventory, sell at high markup, and return the stuff that failed to sell after the holiday season. Gaming the system in this way results in inflated sales at the beginning of the season, artificial shortages, and inflated post-season returns. The inflated post-season returns either get purchased at regular retail by people who missed out during the holiday (and refused to pay extra markups) or sit on the shelves until they eventually get marked down for clearance by the retailer. Many people do not realize that in addition to paying LEGO for set, the retailer also pays to store that set until it sells, so every day a set sits on a retailer's shelf or in their warehouse it costs the retailer a little more than it did the day before. That is a large part of why items go on clearance. Retailers make less money when they sell things at clearance prices, and occasionally even lose money on those sales, so they take note of these trends and order less of those items. LEGO is currently in a position where it is popular enough that this sort of shenanigans will probably have minimal impact on the company, but it will contribute to higher prices overall.

As for quantity limits at online retailers, they are easily bypassed by having multiple accounts, although the buyer will take a hit on shipping in most cases.

My day job is writing software for food-service distribution. No matter how you try to control who buys how much of a product, there is always somebody figuring out how to get around that control.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Every City has an Asshat! Here in Brisbane it's the 'guy in the little blue van'. When Myer 3 for 2 sales are on he's the guy with the Suzuki carry van packed to the gunwhalls with Mods and Flagship sets... Despite the fact that he makes me downright stabby (particularly when I pull up on the carpark, see his van only to get inside to empty shelves) I can't help but laugh when I'm looking at sometimes over 25k worth of stock in the little blue van which would be lucky to be worth $500 (with a years worth of rego on it!). He's also got a weirdass haircut that if you painted him green would make him look EXACTLY like the Grinch...( that last sentence MAY have more to do with my overactive imagination)
    VorpalRyuBillybrownDedgecko
    edited November 2015
    I don't think you need to apologize at all.  We have to keep it interesting.  

There are only so many posts speculating on which modular will retire next, or just how expensive every freakin' early Lego Train is on the secondary market or whether a re-release could kill of an original set's value/collectability.

And every Death Star discussion re-hash...

I find it interesting to hear other experiences when it comes to things that affect the resale value of sets.

I learned my lesson with the Town Hall to keep atleast ONE... and don't assume it'll be retired is some arbitrary order.

(Tumbler - I'm looking at you!)
    kiki180703VorpalRyuYodalicious
    ^ Or assume it will be retired in an arbitrary order, just not the arbitrary for which you assume.
    VorpalRyu
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 897
    I'm guessing ewok village is on its way out then. With black Friday discounts indicating sets retirement and with other large scale SW playsets due next year I can see a pickup in demand. I have just been told the wife would love one and I know I either get it now or never
  • urieluriel CroatiaMember Posts: 192
    #75058 is out the door too I think. 40% off in our Lego store. 
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 977
    uriel said:

It's a TRU exclusive in the UK, so it'll be around for at least another year.......!
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    nexander said:
    I'm guessing ewok village is on its way out then. With black Friday discounts indicating sets retirement and with other large scale SW playsets due next year I can see a pickup in demand. I have just been told the wife would love one and I know I either get it now or never
    I was always on the fence with the ewok village....I liked it and wanted, but always thought it was too much money.   My wife liked it, too but when she saw the price, she said, "I dont like it that much"....so never bought it....most likely never will.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    Im not so sure a discount or sale means retirement, not anymore, not with LEGO.
    The LEGO store today had the Heavy Haul train among other sets for 20% and the store event. Not great, but was looking to get one at some point and Im not sure they will be on sale anywhere else in the US and have not seen them available on Amazon UK yet.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I had never thought of buying up a bunch of stock before Christmas to sell at high prices and return after Christmas...Since I don't own one of those Money growing trees, I still won't be doing that. I always went after Christmas in hopes of seeing clearance items. I felt just like a kid in a toy store..wait a minute.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    What are people's opinions on the imperial troop transport?  It has 4 storm troopers of the same type so it may be good for army builders.  The only reason why I haven't loaded up on them is because I can't determine why their helmets are tinted blue.  Does anyone have an explanation for this?
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Battle packs have been underwhelming for the past five years.  That doesn't stop me from buying at 50% off, but I stay away if they are anything higher.  
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 808
    @Dougout
    They're from SW Rebels.
    Lobot said:
    uriel said:

It's a TRU exclusive in the UK, so it'll be around for at least another year.......!
    Or seven...
    kiki180703
  • urieluriel CroatiaMember Posts: 192
    SumoLego said:
    Lobot said:
    uriel said:

Or seven...
    I've been lucky in getting them for 45 gbp each. Got 4 of them with 6 c3po polybags as a store gift for the purchase. Sold the minifigs and polys to earn cash and get A LOT of good brown bricks :)
  • romanstarromanstar Member Posts: 197
    Has anybody any idea how long the JW  sets will be lasting?
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I just saw a comment on Reddit that I hadn't seen posted here before. Someone asked what the difference was between the orange "Sold Out" and the red "Sold Out" on [email protected] They said the orange meant sold out but more is coming, but red meant sold out and may not come back. This can be corroborated with the markup code on the webpage, where the orange comes from a class called "availability-future" and the red from "availability-questionable".

P.S. #10188 Death Star is available now again on US [email protected]
    pharmjodherbyderbyTheBrickLaddZon
    My local TRUs haven't had any JW stuff for months.  The local Lego Store just got a mammoth shipment in, but they expect them to be completely sold out after Black Friday.

I've seen some Scooby-Doo at TRU, Target and Wal-Mart, but haven't seen but a few sets at the Lego Store.

Either way, I hope they do another run of Scooby-Doo in 2016!  I haven't grabbed a set of those just yet.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    @ricecake thanks for that insight! I have never heard that either.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Pate5346 said:
    @Dougout
    They're from SW Rebels.

Ok, thank you very much @Pete5346
    JW restock has hit central Ohio this week.  TRU had (relatively) massive amounts of the two cheapest sets.  Wal-Mart had everything but Raptor Rampage and Indominus Rex.
    Take a look at tricecake said:
    I just saw a comment on Reddit that I hadn't seen posted here before. Someone asked what the difference was between the orange "Sold Out" and the red "Sold Out" on [email protected] They said the orange meant sold out but more is coming, but red meant sold out and may not come back. This can be corroborated with the markup code on the webpage, where the orange comes from a class called "availability-future" and the red from "availability-questionable".

I treat this about as trustworthy as the old logic of "Sold Out" meaning "Retired".  Do you really believe that LEGO Jurassic World for Wii U is retired but they are making more for PS3 and 3DS?  It has to be at least equally likely that the coloring can be attributed to careless coding by the programmer.  

• Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    goshe7 said:
    Take a look at tricecake said:

I treat this about as trustworthy as the old logic of "Sold Out" meaning "Retired".  Do you really believe that LEGO Jurassic World for Wii U is retired but they are making more for PS3 and 3DS?  It has to be at least equally likely that the coloring can be attributed to careless coding by the programmer.  

LEGO Shop only sells the LEGO video games for a limited window. It's not discontinued. 
    Was in TRU today and happend to see the Lego rep.  She put out a whole new load of Jurassic World stuff today.  So, if you're looking for that Indominous Rex, now may be the time to call your store.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ This happened to me a couple of months ago. LEGO rep was walking around checking inventories, taking notes, making calls. Then suddenly, she says "can I ask you a few questions?" Pretty cool experience. She asked things like how much my family spends on LEGO, what sets we like, where do we typically shop. I was honest with her and said "actually, not at TRU too much, the markup is ridiculous considering the Target less than 5 miles away has most of the same stuff." Needless to say, she didn't disagree.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 496
    If there's a new load of JW stuff at TRU, why are all the sets still unavailable at US [email protected]? (Darn it, I want my Dilophosaurus Ambush!)
    I'm surprised JW hasn't made it back in stock online.  They have been in LEGO stores for a week or two now.
    SumoLego
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 496
    Maybe the delay is because they want them to be in stock for Black Friday instead of sold out again before then--or maybe they don't want them to be in stock on Black Friday at all! Well, I'll just have to sweat it out--or break down and actually visit a brick-and-mortar Lego Store.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    ^ This happened to me a couple of months ago. LEGO rep was walking around checking inventories, taking notes, making calls. Then suddenly, she says "can I ask you a few questions?" Pretty cool experience. She asked things like how much my family spends on LEGO, what sets we like, where do we typically shop. I was honest with her and said "actually, not at TRU too much, the markup is ridiculous considering the Target less than 5 miles away has most of the same stuff." Needless to say, she didn't disagree.
    Yeah, I can't figure out how my TRU makes any sort of money off of Lego except on the rare occasion they have a good deal. There's a Walmart and a Target within a two mile radius of it, plus another Walmart and Target about 5 minutes away on the north side of town and yet another Walmart and Target about 10-15 minutes to the southeast of town (yep, somehow we got 3 of each, plus 2 Kmarts).
    Civilians don't spend the time to do intense price-checking.

And it's not like TRU advertises: "We charge a premium for Lego for no good reason."
    TheLoneTensorpharmjodAanchirMasterBeefyVorpalRyukiki180703CurvedRoadPlateZathrasSethro3