Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    It is, but it is linked to our old home number and I can never remember it. What is even worse is that I have no idea what our new home number is ;)
    pharmjod
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Pitfall69 said:
    It is, but it is linked to our old home number and I can never remember it. What is even worse is that I have no idea what our new home number is ;)
    Join the club, I dont know mine and we have lived there for over 3 years. It doesnt help I have a bad case of CRS either.
    Pitfall69
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited July 2015
    SumoLego said:
      You can certainly stock up on product as an employee - $4,000.00 of retail value can go a long way...
    Not really. That is a pittance in resale terms.  
    SumoLego
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited July 2015
    Sethro3 said:
     That seems silly, especially since most people were upset about the recent remake.

The only people upset were those few who cared about the value of their 7191 dropping and a few other die hards who had the older one and felt like the remake was taking up the slot of something new instead.  I doubt pretty strongly that LEGO cares much about either scenario 

that said, I don't see them putting out another ones I soon after 10240 
    Bumblepants
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,874
    dougts said:
    Sethro3 said:
     That seems silly, especially since most people were upset about the recent remake.

The only people upset were those few who cared about the value of their 7191 dropping and a few other die hards who had the older one and felt like the remake was taking up the slot of something new instead.  I doubt pretty strongly that LEGO cares much about either scenario
    Well, there were also some people who were disappointed with the design. While there were improvements since the original version, there were perhaps not as many improvements as some people would have expected for a pair of sets released twelve years apart, both ostensibly among the most advanced sets of their time.

When you compare #7140 with #9493, the level of quality and accuracy is worlds apart. But when you compare #7191 with #10240, many of the improvements are much subtler, and there are even some aspects like the sharpness of the nose where a person might understandably prefer the original.
    CCC
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    You would think there would be some level of monitoring of employee VIP accounts. At least they would have to be really careful about how often they do it. Wouldn't want to be ID'd as a reseller. ;)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,048
    dougts said:
    SumoLego said:
      You can certainly stock up on product as an employee - $4,000.00 of retail value can go a long way...
    Not really. That is a pittance in resale terms.  
    This is true.  Only TEN Death Stars...
    prevere
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    Looks like the Space Utility Vehicle polybag is no longer available through the U.S. Shop at Home. It seems to me like they're making more of the mini-figure polybags (Winter Soldier lasted a lot longer than I expected) and less of the other ones (the Flower Cart was wiped out pretty quick, and now the Space Utility Vehicle didn't make it the full month either).
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    The space utility vehicle was listed to last 1st-20th. Look at the calendar
    FollowsClosely
    My mistake then. For some reason I thought for sure it was the whole month.

I was hoping to do the double up with that and the poster when I run down to my local store after work.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    A friend found the space vehicle poly at Target over the weekend, so I guess it's out in the wild now.
    Ronyar
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255

I was hoping to do the double up with that and the poster when I run down to my local store after work.
    If you ordered on the 20th you could have doubled up. That's what I did.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    #10118 #10243 #10232 #10218 all saying SOLD OUT on [email protected] UK , what's going on! 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    Summer silly season? Or Lego having some fun getting people to buy quickly when they come back in stock.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    I think there playing games with us 
  • BigHBigH Liverpool UKMember Posts: 79
    Shops still have them all.. don't panic !
    leetshoe said:

If you ordered on the 20th you could have doubled up. That's what I did.
    The original intention was to go down to the store yesterday, but my fiance ended up having to work too late to do so. I prefer going to get the posters in store as that way, if they get damaged, I know it's my fault. Plus driving there and back is still cheaper than the shipping and handling for a purchase of less than $75.

I'll just keep a better eye on dates next time.
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 224
    edited July 2015
    Panic now, panic later, don't panic at all?  UK [email protected]

CCC
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901
    Sounds like its time to build another production facility.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329

Wouldn't that make the Detective's Office the lone modular building? I don't think so.

goshe7
  • arl100arl100 Member Posts: 35
    I wouldn't take this too seriously. #42008 Service Truck showed 'Sold Out' last Christmas, only to be restocked. Same thing happened with #60051 and #60052 back in February, but these were restocked quickly as well.

I could understand if #10218 Pet Shop was 'Sold Out', as that has been available for nearly 4 years, but both Palace and Parisian should have at least 2 more years each.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Unless I am mistaken, the belief that "Sold Out" means anything more than the words themselves is a conclusion speculated upon by people with no direct knowledge of LEGO's intent with those words.  This conclusion is generally supported by historical observations, but the conclusion is not universally supported by historical observations.

Add in the general periodic klutziness of [email protected] website and I think you have full reason to not panic.
    CupIsHalfEmpty
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    goshe7 said:
    pharmjod said:
    SSD wasn't out for nearly as long as the death star though.
    It would seem at least plausible that this could be different means to the same end.

The DS was out so long that many of the early speculators have already cut their losses and sold.  (I know I've read at least someone said they did that, somewhere).  Few people buying in the middle of life as it became clear the set was not going to go away for a long time.  Typical end-of-production rush for both DS and SSD.

Not saying I think the DS will follow the same path as SSD.  Just that the shelf time alone isn't necessarily a reason to confidently state this won't follow the SSD path.  
    ^ I'm one of those people... 

A few years ago I had several dozen DS stashed away, but finally sold them all because for whatever gains I might have gotten, money tied up for 5 years is a poor return in most cases.

Now it looks like it may be going out and I don't have any of them saved.  But that's ok, the money I reclaimed from the DS has been reinvested several times over.

I generally like to sell sets 1 year post retirement, give or take.  Sometimes the price rise comes in 6 months, sometimes it takes longer, but if I can flip my whole stock on average once a year, I'm happy with that.
    caterham7Pitfall69piratemania7Rainstorm26brickupdate
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I think that is the problem with it saying Sold Out is the fact that they have different terms. Sold Out, Temporarily out of stock, Call to check availability...if some of the sold out come back in stock, shouldn't it read as temporarily out of stock. Obviously it pertains to if they are contemplating another production run or letting it stay sold out. Especially with the normal production system, they can't very well throw in more of some of these other sets randomly. They need to be able to plan it out, so it understandably has different notes. But one would think Sold Out means, Sold Out and won't be coming back. (But before the holiday season, I'd think they'd want some of those available, even in limited quantities).
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    'Temporarily out of stock' doesn't cause a worldwide panic and help shift an over production of sets they've manufactured in error.  'Sold out' on the other hand......
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    kwik e mart sold out now!?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015

Milne44 said:
    #10118 #10243 #10232 #10218 all saying SOLD OUT on [email protected] UK , what's going on! 
    Dammit, I knew I waited too long to grab that Star Accessories set!
    Bumblepantslego007RonyarLobot
    goshe7 said:
    Add in the general periodic klutziness of [email protected] website and I think you have full reason to not panic.

This is precisely the time to panic.
    Goldchainsgoshe7Ronyar
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    SumoLego said:
    'Entrapment' only applies if law enforcement is involved.
    Wrong. To "entrap" means to lure into a compromising act, says the dictionary. (You're trying to correct an English teacher, by the way.) The legal or law enforcement setting is not the only context the word can be used in. There are people entrapped in everything from bad cellphone plans to bad marriages, and none of it is illegal. 
    VorpalRyu
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    :'Imperial March' playing:
    SumoLegoPitfall69GothamConstructionCo
    @juggles7 - There is probably nothing less interesting than an English Teacher and an Attorney arguing semantics (literally!) on a Lego Forum.

Nonetheless, I don't like being told I'm wrong.  In the current common usage, entrapment is distinguishable as a term relating to criminal law.  There may have been some older definition that has a wider meaning, and perhaps my perspective is myopic, but...

http://thelawdictionary.org/entrapment/

I think you're confusing entrapment with being defrauded or deceived or bamboozled.  Some of which can be illegal (subject to jail or criminal penalties), a tort (subject to civil or administrative penalties)  or perfectly legal (subject to karma or one's maker).  One cannot be entrapped into a bad marriage.  They can be defrauded, but certainly not entrapped.

Plus, Sean Connery said so, 1:16 into the clip:

"Entrapment is what cops do to thieves."

(BTW, this was just an excuse to referrence a Sean Connery quote from a forgettable movie.)
    Ohhhh. I like Blueberry Pop Torts!!!
    pharmjodexciter1SumoLegohaakonoRainstorm26khmellymelpiratemania7
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 565
    @SumoLego if you use a legal dictionary you will get the definition of a word from a legal perspective.

Here is the "regular folk" definition of entrapment:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entrapment

It uses the marriage example in the webster definition.

From a medical perspective entrapment is the constriction of a vessel or nerve:
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/entrapment

So you and @juggles7 are both right, and wrong according to doctors. ;) 
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoPitfall69Rsa33Aanchirsnowhitie
    edited July 2015
    Fair enough.

I would not want the police involved in a bowel entrapment.

But Sean Connery is never wrong.
    Pitfall69exciter1Aanchir
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    Nice to hear from you LFT, for old times sake.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoBrickDancerRonyarBumblepantsmadforLEGOjuggles7JP3804
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2015
    Another definition for entrapment http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/entrapment

the act of causing someone to do something they would not usually do by tricking them:
    The police have been accused of using entrapment to bring charges against suspects.

So @SumoLego, by that definition, one can entrap someone in a bad marriage. :)
    juggles7xiahna
  • LEGOMAD73LEGOMAD73 STAFFORDSHIREMember Posts: 149
    edited July 2015
    Not sure if it is a mistake on [email protected] UK but the following sets are ALL showing sold out this morning:-
    Death Star
    Pet Shop
    Kwik E Mart
    Palace Cinema
    Parisian Restaurant
    Ideas - Birds

Very strange, got to be a website error......?????
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 132
    Customer service line says it's an IT problem that they're working on. 
    ^ Or its to make reseller think those sets are all gone, so they'll jump on eBay to sell, sell, sell... Anybody feelin' twitchy? :)
    xiahna
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,348
    1x1 said:
    So are any/all of these available to buy over the phone? 
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 45
    1x1 said:
    I hope that as a result of this working 10228 will back :)

@parsom, that would be some nice work, especially if were all regions... If it happened, I'd suggest more work is needed to done to [email protected]
    xiahna
    parsom said:
    1x1 said:
    I hope that as a result of this working 10228 will back :)

I wouldn't hold your breath.
    juggles7
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,770
    Anyone else notice what the DS is selling for now on eBay in the US?
    At least we can now start talking about how much it will rise and have endless debates on that instead of when it would EOL.
  • Final_SignFinal_Sign KentuckyMember Posts: 101
    ^ hold your horses!  The great debate over when the DS is/will be retired is not quite over yet . . .
    Dougout
  • BrickaholicBrickaholic UKMember Posts: 342
    ^ hold your horses!  The great debate over when the DS is/will be retired is not quite over yet . . .
    You need to change your username, i hope  ;) 
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    SumoLego said:
    When it comes to reselling, Lego has a very low tolerance policy.  I think they check for eBay and Bricklink stores for those employees that purchase copious amounts of product.

How would they do that, since you must enter into a transaction (buy something) to find out the identity of the seller?

It would be so much easier if the company were just to give their employees real bonuses, real benefits, real raises, rather than tempt them with discounted collectibles they are only allowed to fondle or display, but not to convert into much-needed cash, under penalty of termination. 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    You're in Kentucky, it appear
    Not many non-retired sets go for that kind of markup.