Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,844
    What did you use for your foundations for the mods?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,904
    ecmo47 said:

Yeah, tell me about it!

Love brick-built roads.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Thanks for the comments. Ive been working on this for a while and will display it a local train show 20-21 Feb. I still need to populate the streets with vehicles and people. It has a PF loop and a 9V loop that will provide plenty of train action. I've been working on operations and have successfully ran both loops for several hours. Here's the rest of the layout. The yard is a bit sparce as the engine shed is still in the works.
    PerijoveLegoKip

Yes, dumped the flimsy plates in favor of a brick built base. They are basically eight 8x16 bricks tied together with plates on the bottom. Ive got a LDD file I can post if wanted. The finished size is 32x34 as I wanted wider sidewalks. I tried 32x36 but that made the sidewalks to big. The brickbuilt base provides nice curb.

prevere said:

ecmo47 said:

Yeah, tell me about it!

Love brick-built roads.
    Roads were built mostly with black 1x2 tiles with some 1x1 and 1x3's for variety. I tossed in some random Dark Brown tiles to attempt a cobblestone look and break up the sheen of all black.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,412
    Are you trying to brag about your impressive collection and layout @ecmo47? If you are, please, brag some more :)
    ecmo47 said:

Thanks for the comments. Ive been working on this for a while and will display it a local train show 20-21 Feb. I still need to populate the streets with vehicles and people. It has a PF loop and a 9V loop that will provide plenty of train action. I've been working on operations and have successfully ran both loops for several hours. Here's the rest of the layout. The yard is a bit sparce as the engine shed is still in the works.

Impressive; most impressive. I love the pillows in the background. If I had a layout like that at home, I would sleep next to it as well ;)

BumblepantsLegoKip
    edited February 2015
    Pitfall69 said:

Are you trying to brag about your impressive collection and layout @ecmo47? If you are, please, brag some more :)

Well, I try not to do that. It's been fun piecing it together over the past several years. I would say that most items were tracked down through trades on this forum or Craigslist. If I were to brag about anything it would be the station, the water tank and the logging train. The water tank is my own design. The Shay and train were the 1st place winner of this years Railbricks contest and designed by Apojove. I got the LDD files as soon I found out they were available. The fact that it ran smoothly on first try was very rewarding.

"I love the pillows in the background. If I had a layout like that at home, I would sleep next to it as well ;)"

Fortunately, I am blessed very lovely and understanding wife so I dont need to sleep there! She's even going help me man the layout at the train show!

Pitfall69
    ^Yes, I hope you took that as "More pictures please" :)
    There is something about looking at a layout with a sweet Lego Train setup. Watching the train(s) go around the layout is mesmerizing.
    Lego_Star
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    That LEGO town is more impressive than Pitfall69's biceps! :-)
    Legoboydougts
    cloaked7 said:

I get the feeling I am never going to live that down. I forget some of you have been here for a while.

madforLEGOBumblepantsLegoboy
    ecmo47 said:

Yes, dumped the flimsy plates in favor of a brick built base. They are basically eight 8x16 bricks tied together with plates on the bottom. Ive got a LDD file I can post if wanted. The finished size is 32x34 as I wanted wider sidewalks. I tried 32x36 but that made the sidewalks to big. The brickbuilt base provides nice curb.

Ahh, Nice! I imagine it so helps with making side walks and a lower road base as well.
    Pitfall69
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    I think my favorite part of your setup is the black tile road with brown scattered about. Very well done- it makes the typical grey road plates look dated. Very clean! Well done.
    brickupdate
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 114
    ecmo47 said:

If I were to brag about anything it would be the station, the water tank and the logging train. The water tank is my own design. The Shay and train were the 1st place winner of this years Railbricks contest and designed by Apojove. I got the LDD files as soon I found out they were available. The fact that it ran smoothly on first try was very rewarding.

Wow, you built the Shay! I also love that you added an extra skeleton car and log. I'm pleased to hear that it ran smoothly for you. I was confused at first because I recognized the engine and cars, but not the layout or taking any pictures recently. It wasn't until I saw your water tower that I figured it out.

CCC said:

Hold up. You shouldn't be bragging about your collection in the reseller thread. This thread is for predicting prices and bragging about financial gains, not wholesome AFOL activities such as collecting. :-)

It's Pitfalls fault! He asked for more pictures when I was just trying to make a point about the slippery-slope between collecting Modulars and collecting trains.

Maybe this will help tie things up......I predict that all of the discontinued items (from Craigslist, trades or BL'd) on the layout will make a ton of money when I choose to sell them!

.....and to get back to the previous discussion, no snow yet here in North Carolina!
    wagnerml2LegoboyPitfall69sklamb
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    464 pages. And counting. It was remiss of me, but I'd never checked who's fault this thread was...

@Farmer_John
    Congratulations, Sir
    Perijove said:

Wow, you built the Shay! I also love that you added an extra skeleton car and log. I'm pleased to hear that it ran smoothly for you. I was confused at first because I recognized the engine and cars, but not the layout or taking any pictures recently. It wasn't until I saw your water tower that I figured it out.

I started as soon as I found your LDD plans. I cant thank you enough for making them available. It was a very fun build. Your design is fanstastic and the pivoting of the trucks is genuis. How long did take you to prefect the design? Do you have anything else in the works? I hope to work out a third truck for it and maybe a log skidder to travel on some new log cars. Again, thanks!
    LegoKip
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I wondering if Lego's decision NOT to produce the Ghostbuster's Headquarters might bode well for resellers of the TH. It seems that the TH is the perfect set to use for MOCing a GB Headquarters...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,904

I wondering if Lego's decision NOT to produce the Ghostbuster's Headquarters might bode well for resellers of the TH. It seems that the TH is the perfect set to use for MOCing a GB Headquarters...

Actually I think FB is a better representation for the HQ. Maybe I can turn my Pepper Potts into an Annie Potts, and turn a random moustachy Ultra Agent into Walter Peck.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^That's nice, but where's the link to order it.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Pitfall69 said:

cloaked7 said:

I get the feeling I am never going to live that down. I forget some of you have been here for a while.

Ahhhh... the good ole days. Now, where are those photos? !!! ( Just joking.)

Yup, at times I feel like some of you are extended family! And, in a way we are! :-) Who knows, one day we may be on a reality show - "LEGO Rocks!" :-) If Bruce Jenner can make it work anyone can. :-)
    Pitfall69wagnerml2Legoboy
    ecmo47 said:

How long did take you to prefect the design? Do you have anything else in the works? I hope to work out a third truck for it and maybe a log skidder to travel on some new log cars. Again, thanks!

The Shay took a while to figure out. I'd have to check my sketches to pin down how long it took. Which reminds me, I need to upload scans of those sketches. I just need to figure out where I left my sketchbook. Interestingly, the Shay was developed while dealing with builder's block for an even more complicated MOC, which is completed, but I have yet to take pictures and video. In addition, I just finished my newest MOC, which would look awesome on the fantastically detailed roads on your layout. I'm just waiting on a Bricklink order and an LDD update so I can post pictures, video, and the LDD file.

LegoKip
    Wow, more complicated then the shay drive train? Cant wait to see that and the other new creation which sounds like a vehicle. Will you post them over on the MOC thread? One project I have in mind is a detailed, minifig scale Steam shovel like in the kids book Mike Mulligan and MaryAnn.
    Saw a Shay on Lugnet many years ago. Complex engines, and was looking to build one myself, but know it will be a bit of work to get done.
    ecmo47 said:

Wow, more complicated then the shay drive train? Cant wait to see that and the other new creation which sounds like a vehicle. Will you post them over on the MOC thread? One project I have in mind is a detailed, minifig scale Steam shovel like in the kids book Mike Mulligan and MaryAnn.

Yes, at least an order of magnitude more complicated than the Shay. It requires video in addition to pictures to fully describe. Two areas in which I don't excel, but I'll definitely figure it out and post in the MOC thread. The other MOC is definitely a vehicle, as well as something else... I look forward to your steam shovel. Reminds me of a childhood favorite "Are You My Mother?".

Saw a Shay on Lugnet many years ago. Complex engines, and was looking to build one myself, but know it will be a bit of work to get done.

I'm sure there is a link out there that may help you in your efforts!
    LegoKip
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 576
    ecmo47 said:

One project I have in mind is a detailed, minifig scale Steam shovel like in the kids book Mike Mulligan and MaryAnn.

Here's some inspiration for you: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/378308
    Perijove said:

Reminds me of a childhood favorite "Are You My Mother?".

Here's a go at that one: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/357664
    AanchirLegoKipPerijove
    ^Nice!! Now I dont have to start from scratch!
    SirBen said:

ecmo47 said:

One project I have in mind is a detailed, minifig scale Steam shovel like in the kids book Mike Mulligan and MaryAnn.

Here's some inspiration for you: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/378308
    Perijove said:

Reminds me of a childhood favorite "Are You My Mother?".

Here's a go at that one: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/357664
    Building a steam shovel now actually. I have the mechanism down, just need to build the rest of the shovel. Once done Ill also be making a Train version of it too.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    Please advise - will #75052-1: Mos Eisley Cantina be around for another year? I don't get many Star Wars sets, but this one appeals. It doesn't seem to be going on sale. I want to wait for sale, but don't want to wait too long.
    klatu003 said:

Please advise - will #75052-1: Mos Eisley Cantina be around for another year? I don't get many Star Wars sets, but this one appeals. It doesn't seem to be going on sale. I want to wait for sale, but don't want to wait too long.

It depends I think. Im guessing many are thinking the same thing with these: They will be a moneymaker. The problem here is with everyone thinking that. See Jabba's Palace for a good example. I think if you can find them on sale they will be worth it, My guess is they will be around for another year as they just came out this past summer if I recall right
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    They were down to 48 not too long ago, I imagine they'll go on sale again
    Pitfall69
    klatu003 said:

Chubbles said:

They were down to 48 not too long ago, I imagine they'll go on sale again

Walmart had them on sale for $48.99 around January 20th and Amazon matched them.

The set itself isn't that great, but better than its predecessor. I definitely think it is overpriced, but that is probably due to licensing, the new Dewback and new Biths. You aren't going to see these molds reused for another set. I also think that this will be the reason why it will become a great aftermarket performer. Die hard Star Wars fans will buy multiple sets because of wanting to have all the band members, multiple Dewbacks and more pieces to build a much larger cantina.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 945
    I'm not even a big Star Wars fan Audi thought of getting another one to build a bigger cantina.

I'm not even a big Star Wars fan Audi thought of getting another one to build a bigger cantina.

...or a garage for your Audi ;)

ReesesPieces
    Pitfall69 said:

...or a garage for your Audi ;)

Damn auto correct...but I'll take a new Audi over the cantina.
    timinchicago
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Saturday night, right now, Amazon selling 2015 City, Ninjago and Elves sets. These ads could get yanked any time, as the street date is March 1st. Remember Amazon put the Minecraft sets up for sale early, but took the ads down after just a couple of days, then complied with the official release date. Don't wait, unless you don't mind waiting until March.
    The Cantina came out in August, 2014. It should be out at least 2 years. You can find out the release date on most sets by asking Google. In the search engine, type in "lego 75052 brickset" which carries you to the page that shows the item's availability at [email protected] No need to guess when sets first came out.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    @Pitfall69 "Walmart had them on sale for $48.99 around January 20th and Amazon matched them." Well dang, I missed that.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @juggles7 Which of the City sets are new for March & on Amazon now? Thanks!
    I just ordered the avengers tower. I thought it would actually be more expensive.
    klatu003 said:

@Pitfall69 "Walmart had them on sale for $48.99 around January 20th and Amazon matched them." Well dang, I missed that.

According to camelcamelcamel, that never happened. At least the AMZN price match never happened. I keep an eye on AMZN's discounts and I would have been all over that. (Well, buying the 2 copies they would have limited me to...) Just saying!

klatu003 said:

So did I. I had just bought one a few days prior. I was going to see if I could get the difference back, but I didn't bother.

edited February 2015
    juggles7 said:

klatu003 said:

According to camelcamelcamel, that never happened. At least the AMZN price match never happened. I keep an eye on AMZN's discounts and I would have been all over that. (Well, buying the 2 copies they would have limited me to...) Just saying!

So, it never happened? You mean this was a false and fake report by "From Bricks to Bothans?"

Sethro3
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    juggles7 said:
    well, heck. I've had all of the new City sets since the first week of January. I didn't realize these were not released in the US yet. If anyone wants a review, pictures, or has questions about any of these sets let me know. I have built the dozer and the starter....the other two have been sitting waiting for a day when I have time......Now I think I'll make some time.