Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    For a rather small set, the DeLorean is one of my absolute favorites. I think the build is very fun and the end product, although it may not impress every fan boy, does resemble the actual vehicle VERY well. Plus, the functionality of the flip-up wheels and the bricks thrown in for display add a ton of playability. Marty also gets a skateboard to boot!!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited January 2015
    The duration of availability (number of days from lowest to highest) for the retired Modulars in the USA is as follows:

1) Cafe Corner - available for 774 days
    2) Town Hall - available for 945 days or 22% longer than the CC
    3) Green Grocier - available for 978 days or 26% longer than the CC
    4) Fire Brigade - available for 1542 days or 99% longer than the CC
    5) Grand Emporium - available for 1677 days or 117% longer than the CC.

Interestingly enough, the TH was available for a shorter time than the GG. More interesting (to me anyway) is that the GE was available longer than the FB. I still remember all the chatter on this thread regarding people expecting the FB to EOL at any time, yet the FB was the proverbial Energizer Bunny. Ironically there was much less chatter regarding the GE, which was on the shelf roughly 8% longer than the FB (and was the longest running modular to date).

My takeaways:

The fact that the TH was abruptly EOL'd while the other sets were more "stale" at the time of their retirement should bode will for the TH's long-term prospects. (By stale, I mean the other sets had been available to the point that nobody was surprised when they were EOL'd...not that they were bad sets). Additionally the TH had a higher RRP, so I'm sure that translated into lower sales (and thus lower availability). If I was a betting man, I would expect the TH to be in the $750-$1000 range by the end of this year.

The GE was out for much longer than the TH (by almost 2X) and priced $50 lower, so it should be the most available modular set (along with the FB). If I was a betting man, I would expect the GE to be the worst post-EOL performer of the retired modulars (although I do like the set personally).

Note: I used the USA data, but would expect similar performance worldwide...
    BumblepantsFollowsCloselyPitfall69pharmjodMrJ_NY
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    I'm curious how the PS will do after retirement? I really don't think you can compare the FB, GE and PS with each other. FB is arguably the most popular of the 3 and was available for a shorter period of time than the GE. Throw in that it came out earlier than GE and PS and that more and more people are getting into Modulars. The GE is a corner building and PS are two separate buildings (which adds to its popularity).
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 990
    My PS goal is 3X that of my GE stash. The two separate buildings makes this one unique. I don't think we will see that again.
    Pitfall69
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Pitfall69 said:

I'm curious how the PS will do after retirement? I really don't think you can compare the FB, GE and PS with each other.

Based on the Brickset data (i.e. take it as you will), those three are probably the most similar in popularity:

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited January 2015

My takeaways:

The GE was out for much longer than the TH (by almost 2X) and priced $50 lower, so it should be the most available modular set (along with the FB). If I was a betting man, I would expect the GE to be the worst post-EOL performer of the retired modulars (although I do like the set personally).

Yup. I totally agree with you. Based on the time it was available (4.5 years!) and popularity (most likely the reason it was available for so, so long), there were a ton of GE's produced and sold. Probably on the opposite side of the spectrum from TH. The GE is the Death Star of modulars! :-)

And, guess which modular I have the most of? The GE! Whoopie for me. I bought them long ago (in a galaxy far away, oops that's where I got the DS's, he he), at the beginning of that 4.5 year stint.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2015

My PS goal is 3X that of my GE stash. The two separate buildings makes this one unique. I don't think we will see that again.

I agree with this sentiment, in that the PS will be more popular because of the sub-modular nature of the two buildings. That said, I think what we might find moving forward is Lego creating half-modulars of little shops/homes. This would allow them to up the price in a sneaky way. For example, instead of having full modulars creep up to $199 each, they could sell half ones at $99 each, and it would appear easier to swallow. This would only serve to make the PS even more desired because it was the pioneer.

That and I think the PS (the brownstone side) is the only 100% "doll house" of the entire line, which makes it even more unique and desirable.
    FollowsClosely
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited January 2015
    Pitfall69 said:

I really don't think you can compare the FB, GE and PS with each other. FB is arguably the most popular of the 3 and was available for a shorter period of time than the GE. Throw in that it came out earlier than GE and PS and that more and more people are getting into Modulars. The GE is a corner building and PS are two separate buildings (which adds to its popularity).

I don't disagree with anything you are saying...

Because it's difficult to model subjective considerations on any Lego set, my thoughts focus more on those of us with OCD tendencies and the inclination to purchase ALL the modulars sets. With every modular a person purchases (specifically us completists), they have an even stronger inclination to purchase the next modular they are missing from their city block. And as the number of AFOLs interested in the modular theme increases, the number of completists out there increases. The limiting factor is supply, and the price will go up based on supply (assuming the sets are not repeatedly re-sold).

On August 1st of this year (in the USA), the PS will have been officially available the same number of days as the FB. So (in my humble opinion), the PS definitely falls into the 'stale' category meaning its EOL date is imminent.

To be clear, I think the modulars will all do well for resellers. But when comparing one modular to another, I believe the FB, PS, and GE will likely be the tail-end performers of the Modular theme (in order of best to least) over the short to medium term.

JMO...
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @Pitfall69‌ I did the same thing with Market Street, which I still had sealed in the box. To this day, I just don't enjoy the way it looks, and with my limited shelf space, I will not give up ANY of it for something I don't enjoy looking at every day. I'd much rather have two Pet Shops than a single Market Street. Just my opinion, of course.
    TheLoneTensorPitfall69pharmjod
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,777

@Pitfall69‌ I did the same thing with Market Street, which I still had sealed in the box. To this day, I just don't enjoy the way it looks, and with my limited shelf space, I will not give up ANY of it for something I don't enjoy looking at every day. I'd much rather have two Pet Shops than a single Market Street. Just my opinion, of course.

That is why I bricklink'ed the Market street oh so long ago. I have a Market street in box, but decided at the time to not open that one, and Im glad I did not.
    Pitfall69
    BTW, I'm definitely not trying to argue anyone's point of view. I was just stating an opinion. Ohhhh I love statistics :)

I was doing a bit of research myself and I was thinking that if they could cut down on the number of Minifigures, Lego could essentially make another Pet Shop like configuration. The Pet Shop has only 4 Minifigures and no vehicle. They could essentially do 2 shops and have a shopkeeper Minifigure for each. They could also maybe not have as detailed interiors and maybe that would work. Listening to most people; once they build their Modular, they rarely "play" inside.
  • enotogaenotoga Member Posts: 133
    True......it is much harder for me to pull the trigger on a $199 than on a $149 set. And I'm sure that's why Town Hall is the most valuable set I own.
    Pitfall69 said:

^That's what I was saying. I had the MS, but sold it because I didn't like it and didn't think it was an "official" Modular. Now, I wish I had it for completeness, but I couldn't pass up on $1,000 for a $90 set.

That must have been a nice feeling. What's that, a 1000% return on investment

enotoga said:

Pitfall69 said:

^That's what I was saying. I had the MS, but sold it because I didn't like it and didn't think it was an "official" Modular. Now, I wish I had it for completeness, but I couldn't pass up on $1,000 for a $90 set.

As @LegoFanTexas‌ put it; there comes a time where a set becomes so valuable that it seems "stupid" to hang onto it. I'm paraphrasing of course, but you get the point.

TXLegoguypharmjoddougtsFollowsClosely
    edited January 2015
    Pitfall69 said:

enotoga said:

Pitfall69 said:

As @LegoFanTexas‌ put it; there comes a time where a set becomes so valuable that it seems "stupid" to hang onto it. I'm paraphrasing of course, but you get the point.

Kinda find it interesting to hear what could be construed as an insulting comment be put on what is also a collectors forum. Some collectors buy sets, they could be 5 dollars or 500 dollars, and it does not diminish the importance of the set to them. Also implies someone is stupid to pay 1K (now going for 2K) for it. All Im saying it is in the eye of the beholder and people should watch how their comment can be perceived.
    "Whoa Whoa...wait a minute"

I put "stupid" in quotations because I wasn't quite sure what word to use. Lunacy? Incredulous? Just insert a word that fits one's preference. I wasn't insulting anyone and I did not intend to say that LFT did either. If I could find his quote, I would have posted it.

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    edited January 2015
    In the great grand scheme of things that are important in life, yes it is indeed economically stupid to keep a trifle that you could profit insanely on or likewise spend a kingly amount of money in most of the world's eyes on a silly toy. Especially if there is no real sentimental value to said item (a family heirloom for example). Let's get over ourselves a minute here and dial it back into reality.

This is coming from someone who loves LEGO as much as anyone else here by the way. I mainly resell to get cheap / free LEGO.
    TheLoneTensor
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    edited January 2015
    pharmjod said:

Let's get over ourselves a minute here and dial it back into reality.

I agree.

So moving on... I've got about 500 construct-a-zurgs stowed away. Think it's time to flip them for my 1000% return on investment?

I would post a picture to show you all of them, but I don't want my bragging to get out of hand.
    Pitfall69pharmjodBumblepantsJP3804LegoKipchuckp
    edited January 2015
    "Economic Sense"!!!! That's what I was looking for.

I was commenting between sets and obviously the blood isn't going to my head ;)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    @samiam391‌ Surely some of those parts would have helped stabilize your UCS AT-AT :)
    Pitfall69chuckp
    pharmjod said:

In the great grand scheme of things that are important in life, yes it is indeed economically stupid to keep a trifle that you could profit insanely on or likewise spend a kingly amount of money in most of the world's eyes on a silly toy. Especially if there is no real sentimental value to said item (a family heirloom for example). Let's get over ourselves a minute here and dial it back into reality.

This is coming from someone who loves LEGO as much as anyone else here by the way. I mainly resell to get cheap / free LEGO.

I get what you are saying, but then where is the line as to what has 'sentimental value' vs being ' devoid of economic sense'? Some people collect 1K LEGO sets, some spend 3K on stereo and entertainment systems. Some buy old muscle cars that have poor fuel economy and are generally not as reliable as a new car, and some buy 50-100K old muscle cars that they will never drive, and some even buy a 300K Ferrari. While these things are expensive with 'no economic sense', they can easily have sentimental value to those that purchased them, even if they just purchased it.
    One could also argue that rare piece of Crystal from 3 generations ago is something that should be sold because it makes no 'economic sense' to keep it either, 'heirloom' or not.

The definition of collecting itself is a bit illogical in its heart, but so be it. I get the practical thought process here (I have wrestled with selling my MISB Grand Carousel for the money) It just sounds like people are being a bit dismissive of the collector aspect IMO.

Now @Pitfall69‌ explained that he did not mean 'stupid' literally, but again it implies you are not of right mind if you keep such an item (economically or otherwise), which is just not true IMO. It just means there are those that are more practical than collector, which is fine too. But it just seemed to me that people were taking a dump on collectors there. If that is not what was intended then sorry for my rant.
    edited January 2015
    samiam391 said -

"""So moving on... I've got about 500 construct-a-zurgs stowed away. Think it's time to flip them for my 1000% return on investment? I would post a picture to show you all of them, but I don't want my bragging to get out of hand."""

___________________________________________________________________________________

You raise a good point. Somebody said, never buy an un-themed (or weakly themed) original creation sets, especially those that aren't tied to reality (houses, cars, planes,etc.). Examples of these kinds of sets are Sea Cow and most of TLM sets. This is something I would not have expected to be as true as it is.
    edited January 2015
    @madforLEGO‌ - I can appreciate the sentiments, but I think you are way over-analyzing one word.

For what's worth, I consider myself a collector and wasn't insulted in the slightest.
    VaderX
    Um...yeah. You definitely took it the wrong way. We can all argue back n forth on who is a better reseller or have the BEST collection or who is more obsessive or passionate about Lego, but if you have $1,000 in bills and haven't the money to pay them, it doesn't make "Economic Sense" to hold onto a $1,000 set.

I have been on here long enough for everyone to know that I am very passionate about Lego and do NOT bemoan resellers. Please, give me a little credit :)
    wagnerml2Thanos75fixitbobbyTheLoneTensormgjvegasmonkeyhangerVaderX
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

yeah, the sheer brick count (and ABS volume) needed to form double interior walls pretty much makes it a non-starter in today's environment of less and less substantial brick in these sets.

FollowsClosely
    It's an interesting difference in internet styles - UK/US. Pitfall is being faulted for saying, "it's stupid to hang onto a set on which you have a 1000% return". His statement is 100% true - you have to take your gains to make money. It's also just his opinion. I wouldn't think of challenging that statement. Maybe you guys have a natural aggression that was necessary for survival when surrounded by Germanic and Russian tribes?
    enotoga said:

It's an interesting difference in internet styles - UK/US. Pitfall is being faulted for saying, "it's stupid to hang onto a set on which you have a 1000% return". His statement is 100% true - you have to take your gains to make money. It's also just his opinion. I wouldn't think of challenging that statement. Maybe you guys have a natural aggression that was necessary for survival when surrounded by Germanic and Russian tribes?

'You guys'? Who are you referring to?
    ^Americans
    Well, let me put it like this - this is a great forum for learning about Lego investing and getting ideas, but I've been shocked at the level of thin skin that exists here. Remember Juggles. He's a perfect example - a little ball busting and you never see him again - gone. Why, because his feelings got hurt over something as trivial as the word "stupid". I'm guessing it might be a UK/US style issue, but I could be wrong. You might all be Americans like me, but if it's not that, I'm not sure what it is. I'm not being critical - it's an interesting observation.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    9 times out of 10 people get offended because they are looking for a reason to be offended. Do you really care what someone on the internet who you don't even know thinks of your LEGO purchases. If so I feel sorry for you and I don't care if you are offended by that. I would rather be part of a forum that fosters open discussion and all opinions without worry that someone will get bent out of sharp over someone's opinion. At the end of the day....how does my life change if @pittfall69 thinks I'm stupid? Zero. Move on. Who cares.
    TXLegoguydougtspharmjodVaderX
    ^That's only 1 "t" and no, I don't think you are stupid for adding a "t" ;)
    3stackshsFarmer_John
    Moving on.

The Detective's Office is probably as close as we are going to get to another Pet Shop sadly. At this point, you'd have to be...ahem...you know, to not invest in Modulars.
    3stackshsLegoKip
    LOL.......no, you guys get burned up about this stuff. I can tell. I know my history, so I know that Brits have balls - again, I'm not being critical. But there's a high degree of offense taken at tiny things.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    I dunno. Was actually thinking how great it would be if they started releasing $80-$100 sets that are 1/2 PS size. You're probably right we won't see any together as a set but here's hoping for single units.
    Pitfall69CircleK
    enotoga said:

Well, let me put it like this - this is a great forum for learning about Lego investing and getting ideas, but I've been shocked at the level of thin skin that exists here. Remember Juggles. He's a perfect example - a little ball busting and you never see him again - gone. Why, because his feelings got hurt over something as trivial as the word "stupid". I'm guessing it might be a UK/US style issue, but I could be wrong. You might all be Americans like me, but if it's not that, I'm not sure what it is. I'm not being critical - it's an interesting observation.

I put little stock into anything you say. Between your rants and you picking on specific individuals using what most saw as a derogatory term it is a wonder that the admins did not boot you off to begin with.
    There is a world of difference between the way @pitfall69 used 'stupid' and you using a derogatory terms to refer to a member.

The truth is people like you kill forums more than help them. You can chalk that up to my 'thin skin' all you want, but I have been here a heck of a lot longer than you have. I also put far more into @Pitfall69‌ explaining what he meant than anything you say on a given basis. Was I maybe over reacting to what @Pitfall69‌ meant? Likely, and I accept realizing that because of who he is and I know he has been around here forever as well, but I will be damned if some half troll is going to start talking smack and trying to compare this to how you treated Juggles.
    This is a community, not just a place where you can troll. The really sad thing is even after this you STILL will not get it.
    BumblepantsjadeirenedougtsTheLoneTensorweevinHitchBrickDancermargot
    3stackshs said:

I dunno. Was actually thinking how great it would be if they started releasing $80-$100 sets that are 1/2 PS size. You're probably right we won't see any together as a set but here's hoping for single units.

I would love to have a cheaper "single unit", but I think there would be less value in that compared to a set like Pet Shop. I mean, they would have to make a separate box and instructions. I feel the same about the new Creator sets. They look great, but I don't think there is much value there, unless it goes on sale :)

edited January 2015
    LOL.......see, that's exactly what I mean. Talk about a rant? I called Juggles a funny name that other members thought was funny too. You make my point for me. You've been here longer than me and you'd like me to be censored by the moderators because I hurt your feelings? Gee.......I'm sorry madforLEGO. I honestly didn't mean to wind you up. The best part is, I nailed the "issue". You're a dandy.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Brits are too sophisticated to have thin skin. They have fancy tea parties.....and crumpets!!
    Pitfall69CircleKpharmjod
    enotoga said:

LOL.......see, that's exactly what I mean. Talk about a rant? I called Juggles a funny name that other members thought was funny too. You make my point for me. You've been here longer than me and you'd like me to be censored by the moderators because I hurt your feelings? Gee.......I'm sorry madforLEGO. I honestly didn't mean to wind you up. The best part is, I nailed the "issue". You're a dandy.

Good for you, you won the internet. Again I take little stock in what you say. No problem to me anymore. I said my piece, and I'm over it, otherwise it is just another way for a sad troll to get their kicks. By the way, a 'funny' name' that even the admins threatened to boot you off the forum for repeating. I guess have you proved my point though. I do feel sorry for those that get off on trying to piss people off in forums though. I feel sorry for you, I really do.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,460
    edited January 2015
    Absolutely no one thought you calling one of our friends hurtful names was funny and @madforLEGO is not the only who is tired of your crap.
    Pitfall69TheLoneTensorHitchmargot
    edited January 2015
    Thank you bumblerants. The reason madforLEGO is angry at me is because I discovered that he is Juggles6. He never went anywhere. That's the point......get it? Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. I just thought it was funny and didn't mean anything by it.

But have you done something jolly with your hair.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Ok everyone. Back to basics. When is DS going to retire?
    Pitfall69

End of this year, like it was last year being the end of last year.lol
    Pitfall69pharmjod

End of this year, like it was last year being the end of last year.lol
    I think your content is smart and valuable. Like what you just posted - it's great and I'm not trolling you.

And I support Brickset by clicking through as many retailer links as I can when making a purchase. I think this is a great site and I try to add good content, but it's probably not as smart as madforJUGGLES. Doesn't matter. I'm glad you're back, whatever you want to call yourself.

^ and ^^ and ^^^,

The only way the Death Star is going to retire is if our planet is invaded by a hoard of angry X-Wings.

Well, that's my opinion anyway...
    cloaked7tamamahmMathBuilder
    It's interesting that the Detective Office and Slave I are so sold out. DO just changed status - I got an alert from Lego - to sold out. I don't remember PC or PR experiencing that kind of demand on release. Same with Triple E. Therefore we have reached a new level of demand and investor activity. Not bubblish yet, but noteworthy
    Yup.
    pharmjodcloaked7LegoKip
    edited January 2015
    [email protected] US shows DO and Slave 1 as 'Out of stock..' at this moment. This is likely more due to lack of supplies than any kind of reseller or investor effect.
    Most new sets tend to have large demand. Couple that with LEGO's inability to keep stocks in place due to increased lines of sets they have to make stock of, and you have a lot of out of stock notices for newer sets too.
    edited January 2015

[email protected] US shows DO and Slave 1 as 'Out of stock..' at this moment. This is likely more due to lack of supplies than any kind of reseller or investor effect.
    Most new sets tend to have large demand. Couple that with LEGO's inability to keep stocks in place due to increased lines of sets they have to make stock of, and you have a lot of out of stock notices for newer sets too.

That's interesting. I don't remember ever seeing Palace Cinema or Parisian Restaurant suffering from lack of supplies, at any point in the product life-cycle. Maybe TLG is just not as mad for some sets as they are for others. Do you think the Jumblepants might have a theory?

enotoga said:

That's interesting. I don't remember ever seeing Palace Cinema or Parisian Restaurant suffering from lack of supplies, at any point in the product life-cycle. Maybe TLG is just not as mad for some sets as they are for others. Do you think the Jumblepants might have a theory?

@enotoga‌ - Stop.
    rancorbait