Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 372
    ^ I have to agree, as those are the three sets from last year that I bought for myself. From a sample size of one, they were the most appealing. No idea if they will appreciate in value, but if others have similar taste they should do ok.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    @pitfall69 - I like the Unexpected Gathering set too. To that point, I actually think that the LotR and Hobbit themes may have several surprise sets when it's all said and done. I mean what are the odds that Lego ever releases these themes again?

Some of the smaller Technic sets have done well too. The Go-Cart #8256, the Log Loader #8049, and the Compact Excavator #8047 come to mind. I actually picked up a Combine Harvester #8274 a few years ago for basically RRP ($70) as the seller couldn't move them.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited January 2015
    Just noticed this...and I guess I should never say that TLG doesn't re-release sets! Case in point: Race Truck #8041 and Race Truck #42041. I have to wonder what made them do this particular re-release as I picked up the original when it was EOL'd for probably 50% off. It just doesn't strike me as that popular of a set. I guess @JamesJT pointed this out awhile back.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,412
    Most of the vehicles do well, especially the Garbage/Recycling trucks, Tankers and Cement mixers. The new Snow Plow is a sure winner.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Made some INCREDIBLE profit on both 7631 and 7684 (definite shelf warmer sets but EXTREMELY popular aftermarket)
    ^Now that I think of it, I may have a Pig Farm #7684 buried somewhere. Anyone sell the Combine Harvester #7636? I do know I have a couple of those in a box somewhere.

Sorry...I have a thing for combines; hence my username. :-)
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Basically any vehicle that isn't done to death like fire and police seem to do well. The sets with busses in them do well historically.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,350
    #3222 which was also a Tesco exclusive in the UK, made a few £££ on that one
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    I would love to see a new farm subtheme of City again. A rehash of the Combine would be fine by me.
    sidersddRonyarLegoKipFarmer_JohnchuckpFollowsCloselybrokenapathy23AdeelZubair
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^Agreed. Mix up the Minecraft Farm with a modernized MMV, little barn, tractor, livestock and veggies, hit the $80-100 mark...
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 372
    ^i was in my dark ages when Farm sets were out, and I can vouch that the current sale prices are much higher than retail, at least in the US. I'd love to see another version. I do wonder if they would be less popular with kids though? Seems to be fairly niche compared to the recurring city themes.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,860
    edited January 2015

^Now that I think of it, I may have a Pig Farm #7684 buried somewhere. Anyone sell the Combine Harvester #7636? I do know I have a couple of those in a box somewhere.

Sorry...I have a thing for combines; hence my username. :-)

You may want to find them. The #7636 typical goes for 160-170 on eBay. And if you got the #7684 when it was on sale at LEGO for 17-18 USD back in the day you are not hurting on that one either.
    The Farm I think goes for 200-250 USD right now.

^Agreed. Mix up the Minecraft Farm with a modernized MMV, little barn, tractor, livestock and veggies, hit the $80-100 mark...

Well the Farm set that was out (#7637) was a bit pricey IMO for what was included (89.99 USD I think when it was released), so any new farm would likely be just as underwhelming (price wise for what you get) and about 119 USD
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    I was at the tailend of my dark ages when the Farm subtheme was out - had I seen the light earlier I would surely have partaken in this subtheme - huge awesomeness all around. And for that slight CASTLE guy in me, a lot of the animals would have fit well also. Oh well...
    ^I agree. I didn't realize until this morning that the Pig Farm comes with a whopping FOUR pigs. That's hog heaven for those interested in Lego farm sets.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited January 2015
    ^ I agree too, the farm sets are great. My son loves farm stuff, so we bought the entire farm line and they're all pretty fun builds. I think the lack of animals hurt the sets, which I would think would be pretty important for most kids.

Horses are easy to get and pigs were cheaply found in the 7566 Farmer, but the cows were/are limited and only found in the higher RRP sets. We ended up buying the 7189 Mill Village Raid just to get additional animals. If they redo the Farm series, those goats and chickens have to be included!

pharmjodLegoKip
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    Remember parts pack from back in the day? A decent farm one would have been killer. A farmer or two, a rooster, chickens, cows. Maybe some good ol' fashion fence?
    chuckp
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    @piratemania7 Are you referring to the mail order parts packs found in the LEGO catalogs, like the one below? Those were great.
    luckyruss
  • TXLegoguyTXLegoguy USMember Posts: 125
    chuckp said:

@piratemania7 Are you referring to the mail order parts packs found in the LEGO catalogs, like the one below? Those were great.

Those were great! I wish they would do something like that again.
    chuckp
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,111
    TXLegoguy said:

chuckp said:

Those were great! I wish they would do something like that again.
    In a way they do, PAB online or the replacement parts service.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    chuckp said:

I remembering getting a few #12's on that list back in the day. That was awesome.

I still get a kick out of seeing the pack with the road signs and Cypress tree going only for 2.75 USD back then.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ Lego needs to re-release a tree pack including the Cypress. Crazy how much those go for.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,905

I still get a kick out of seeing the pack with the road signs and Cypress tree going only for 2.75 USD back then.

Yet their baseplate prices back then are comparable to today.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,905
    mathew said:

^ Lego needs to re-release a tree pack including the Cypress. Crazy how much those go for.

How about releases trees in general? Yes, the brick-built ones are nice. But trees are practically never included in any city sets. Just WV once in awhile.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    prevere said:

mathew said:

How about releases trees in general? Yes, the brick-built ones are nice. But trees are practically never included in any city sets. Just WV once in awhile.
    Yep. The City sets are overly vehicle oriented without any atmosphere. Easily the worst current Lego lineup (Aside from the Arctic sets which I wouldn't really call 'City'. I'm not sure why Lego lumped them in there aside from their simplistic builds.)

prevere said:

mathew said:

Trees are found occasionally in PAB at stores, and I believe they have small pine trees in PAB online (unless they were removed), but nothing really standardized. I think LEGO used to do tree packs until about early mid 2000's as I have a pack of I think 10 large pine trees in a LEGO service bag.
    Wow...I didn't even realize the trees were discontinued from POB. I remember when the WV Toy Shop originally came out, it was a must for me to purchase several extra trees (large and small) from POB. Why would Lego discontinue trees? They seem like a necessary part for many sets to me.
    VaderX
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

Wow...I didn't even realize the trees were discontinued from POB. I remember when the WV Toy Shop originally came out, it was a must for me to purchase several extra trees (large and small) from POB. Why would Lego discontinue trees? They seem like a necessary part for many sets to me.

Pieces come and go from PoB on a regular basis. It could very well just be out - they are undoubtedly popular during the holidays.

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    I'm just hoping that the absence of trees isn't foreshadowing a system wide colour change to match the new green baseplate colour...
    I've never seen a "bright" green pine tree in my life.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    For what it's worth, I was at the Lego Store last night. My wife and I snagged the last Valentine's Day set.

I casually asked about the modulars (they had the DA and PR in stock). The cashier said he anticipated getting the CP (which was on display) and Pet Store back in stock. No mention of Town Hall or Grand Emporium. He said that any time the [email protected] has a 30 day notice on an item, Lego fills those orders prior to sending any to stock ok store shelves. Just thought it was interesting that he believed they'd be getting in back. I know were bound to get different information from different stores...

I ordered my PS online just before the back order and just started putting it together- it's a great build!
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    PS and PC are not going anywhere for the time being. GE and TH are obviously retired. If you invest in modulars then you would be smart to consider what retired from the theme in 2011 and 2012.

edited January 2015
    prevere said:

I've never seen a "bright" green pine tree in my life.

While there may not be a bright green pine tree in real life, LEGO does have them: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3471pb01

As for Mod retirement, TH skews things a bit, but expect PS to be gone toward the end of this year, with PC late next year. May also be gone by late summer as the speculators are gobbling up stocks when they feel it is near EOL.

Again the moral of the story is if you at least one one (and you are in the US), buy it. Preferably when there is a double points event of a prom bag giveaway, but buy one asap as you really never know. Sometimes you say 'Ill buy it someday..' and the next thing you know you are complaining about missing out on buying one and how much they cost on the secondary market.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    The prices on Town Hall sure have risen quickly.I had to go ahead & jump on a decent deal I found.Prices have already jumped $100 over what I paid for mine and it hasn't even been delivered yet.
    edited January 2015
    MrJ_NY said:

The prices on Town Hall sure have risen quickly.I had to go ahead & jump on a decent deal I found.Prices have already jumped $100 over what I paid for mine and it hasn't even been delivered yet.

Yeah, seems to be climbing right now. Maybe people finally realized that they are not coming back. then again #10228 should be in the same boat, but seems to be staying at its price.
    Though lately I'm wondering if 'sold' items on eBay are really being sold for that price, or if the seller is having someone 'buy' them to drive the price up.
    I dunno what's causing it but get a load of the prices it's going for on amazon!
    Amazon

MrJ_NY said:

Yeah, seems to be climbing right now. Maybe people finally realized that they are not coming back. then again #10228 should be in the same boat, but seems to be staying at its price.
    Though lately I'm wondering if 'sold' items on eBay are really being sold for that price, or if the seller is having someone 'buy' them to drive the price up.
    Any of those sellers in China or Korea with abnormally higher sold prices are red flags to me. I don't consider that valid data for my personal research to price sets.
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    I think TH is the only modular to hit the $500 mark post retirement at the fastest pace.
    Yeah, I've watched very closely over the past week or two. It wasn't long ago that an Amazon reseller had it available for around $350 shipped.

I have a hard time believing the prices will hold. Even the Fire Brigade can be had for around $350 shipped.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Theres more TH's listed on ebay UK than there are GE's

Theres also only around £50 price difference between the two, considering it was £20 more anyway its either not that much of a flyer or they are both doing quite well.
    I sat & watched an auction end on a used TH last night and it sold for the same price as one NIB :neutral_face:
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,941
    There's someone in Germany with 9 for sale, at £265 each (plus postage). I grabbed the last one for a quick buck at my local Lego store at the start of Dec and immediately sold it for £264 delivered before Christmas. immediate 50% profit after ebay/paypal costs. I'd like to that every day, or in volume.

MrJ_NY said:

I sat & watched an auction end on a used TH last night and it sold for the same price as one NIB :neutral_face:

Yeah, it's insane. It'll slow down. There's no way it keeps this up.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815

Theres more TH's listed on ebay UK than there are GE's

Theres also only around £50 price difference between the two, considering it was £20 more anyway its either not that much of a flyer or they are both doing quite well.

So TH, HH, and GE are plus 65% rrp after what, 3 months eol?
    I'd say they were doing quite well, I'm not sure what returns people expect these days?

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited January 2015
    I don't expect anything these days, i don't own any.

I'm just saying TH isn't has rare has everyone made out and the GE seems to be doing just as well has it.

I'm just saying TH isn't has rare has everyone made out and the GE seems to be doing just as well has it.

Hey, I didn't just mean you, I meant in general. TH isn't rare, it's just not stockpiled like the others. Give it time when the people who are happy with £50 or £75 profit have cleared their stocks and it will come into its own. I can't be bothered competing with that anymore, there's to many people at it. It's for that very reason I'm buying less of sets these days. Buy lots and unless you've unlimited storage space and finances then you've got to turn them over. I had 20 TH's in my basket but buying them would have meant I'd have had to shift my FB's or R2D2's or SSD's to make space. What's the point? I bought 4.

You don't have to have every winner. I regret selling my CC's and GG's at £300. I won't be selling my TH's at the current market price. Everyone else can do that.

• romanstarromanstar Member Posts: 197
    Hi guys.Just a question.What do people reckon will be best to invest in,either dc marvel heroes or marvel superheroes?Im pretty new to this stuff so i would appreciate some advice if you can spare the time.Cheers
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,412
    Dad said:

Hey, I didn't just mean you, I meant in general. TH isn't rare, it's just not stockpiled like the others. Give it time when the people who are happy with £50 or £75 profit have cleared their stocks and it will come into its own. I can't be bothered competing with that anymore, there's to many people at it. It's for that very reason I'm buying less of sets these days. Buy lots and unless you've unlimited storage space and finances then you've got to turn them over. I had 20 TH's in my basket but buying them would have meant I'd have had to shift my FB's or R2D2's or SSD's to make space. What's the point? I bought 4.

You don't have to have every winner. I regret selling my CC's and GG's at £300. I won't be selling my TH's at the current market price. Everyone else can do that.

So, what you are saying is that the Town Hall is NOT rare? The TH was out a full 2 years less than GE, was arguably the least popular Modular of the series AND was $50 USD more than the FB and GE. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your statement.

madforLEGOjasor
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,941
    Dad said:

Turnover can be a great thing. If you can get sets like TH that cost £150 and make a 50% (£75) profit on it in a matter of weeks, do that 4 times a year and you're far better off than waiting long enough to make £300 by selling for what amounts to £450 after expenses/selling fees. The trick is obviously getting those opportunities come up 4 times in a year. It's more work, but no more storage burden.

But its not rare is it? If I want to spend £10000 on them tomorrow I can have a room full of them. I have 4 of them. Just before Christmas I finally found a die cast car still on its blister pack that I've been looking for over 10 years. That's rare or some of your older sets you have are rare. Town Halls not rare. There's 50 for sale on eBay.