Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    I was in the lego store today and bought myself the tower of orthnac, the member of staff who served me said, good job you have got this now, as we have been told we are not getting any more.. There were 2 left after I took mine....

I know this could be heresay, but just passing it on...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005

^ Exactly what I was thinking. Aren't they the largest toymaker in the world now? Seems like they know what they're doing.

They were number one during the first part of the year, the quietest time of year for toy sales, fuelled by success of the movie. It wouldn't surprise me if Mattel take their crown back come Christmas.
    FollowsClosely
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,412
    Observer said:

I enjoy reading all the posts from all the armchair quarterbacks. Lego should have done so much and are stupid for not doing other things. Last I heard they are doing just fine.

nkx1 said:

Although Lego has achieved top toy maker status for now, and obviously they've made some smart decisions to get there, don't assume they can't make a poor decision. Many large and successful companies have come and gone (or are on their way out) due to numerous reasons, including poor decision making. Not listening to their customers comes to mind as one such poor decision.

"In 1977, the senior execs at 20th Century Fox made an astonishingly short-sighted decision. They signed over all product merchandising rights for any and all Star Wars filmsto George Lucas – in exchange for a mere $20,000 cut in Lucas’ studio paycheck. The combined revenue from merchandising is estimated to have exceeded three billion dollars, and continues to grow annually, making it the most lucrative deal ever struck between an individual and a corporate studio in entertainment history."

Bad decision? I think so.
    TXLegoguydougtstamamahm
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    ^Very interesting, I had no idea. Hindsight and all that...
    Thanks to the success of American Graffiti, Lucas was entitled to a salary of $500,000 for directing what was now being called simply "Star Wars". Instead of accepting the nearly 300% pay raise, George went to Fox with a proposition. He offered to keep his salary at $150,000 in exchange for two seemingly insignificant requests: 1) That he retain all merchandising rights, and 2) that he would retain the rights to any sequels. As crazy as it sounds now, at the time this was actually a fantastic deal for the studio. Fox had previously lost a fortune in the merchandising business with monumental failure of 1967's Doctor Dolittle. Moreover, merchandise just wasn't a meaningful revenue stream in general back then. As for sequel rights, these were also not an important factor for Fox considering the fact that no executive thought the movie had a snowball's chance in hell of making money the first time around. So off George went to finalize his script with $150,000 and a what seemed like an incredibly naive contract in his pocket.
    Pitfall69TXLegoguytamamahm
    Yes, hindsight...but there are plenty of bad corporate decision s that ultimately killed their business. Eastman Kodak anyone? Maybe the executive that didn't sign The Beatles? My point is that TLG is not immune to bad business decisions.
    TXLegoguytamamahmLegoManiaccnkx1
    edited October 2014
    ^Agreed...Netflix 60% overnight price hike, HP's $1 billion+ for 49 days of the Touchpad, Vikings trade 7 (8?) draft picks (essentially) for Herschel Walker, the list can go on and on!
    ^I'm a Cowboys fan. That was a great decision ;)
    BumblepantsFarmer_Johnjasor
    How 'bout them Cowboys!

They just did a 30 on 30 on ESPN breaking that deal down...was very interesting to see Jimmy Johnson talk about it and how he couldn't tell anyone publicly at the time of the deal that he was going to cut all those players so they would get the picks.
    Pitfall69
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

I was in the lego store today and bought myself the tower of orthnac, the member of staff who served me said, good job you have got this now, as we have been told we are not getting any more.. There were 2 left after I took mine....

I know this could be heresay, but just passing it on...

Yeah...I have a feeling about this one. In fact, it's on the top of my list to get during the BF sale...if it even lasts that long. I figure if Lego can retire the Haunted House before Halloween, then they can EOL the Tower of Orthnac right before the final Hobbit movie is released as well.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    ^^Is it really possible that an exclusive that came out just last year will EOL this soon? This sort of thing makes me so paranoid, because I know I will only be able to afford one more exclusive this year, and I'd really like to get either Arkham Asylum or Tower of Orthanc during BF. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^ive just received the Xmas catalogue and the Tower of orthanc is in there.

Would they add it to the catalogue if it was going in the next few months?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005

^ive just received the Xmas catalogue and the Tower of orthanc is in there.

Would they add it to the catalogue if it was going in the next few months?

Yes.
    FollowsCloselypharmjod
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    If I recall correctly, the SSD was in the summer catalogue after it had sold out on [email protected]
    timinchicagoFollowsClosely
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Orthanc is one of my favorite sets. I find it more interesting than say the modular buildings. It's so evil looking that it felt a little odd at first displaying and having it glare down over the rest of my collection.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,519
    I was going to wait for Black Friday to get Orthanc but went ahead and grabbed one last week as I would hate to miss out on it. Word seems to be triple points is not happening this year so I will just get a PR for that weekend to get the second holiday set.

• vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ gone
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Wow. It lasted a whole 2 minutes. Looks like I picked the wrong time to scratch myself.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Back in stock....just ordered one
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,808
    Dad said:

tdhbr said:

Has #10220 Volkswagen Van been discussed recently? I skimmed back a little and didn't notice anything. Seems to me like it could be on the way out - it's been 2 years, and the Mini Cooper could be a "replacement." I'm considering picking up a few to hopefully finance next year's purchases. Anyone know anything definite about it?

It's been 3 years, not 2. And every man and his dog have a stash of them.

The last scuttlebutt on the VW Van was it is hanging around for another year.
    vasp said:
    prevere said:

Wow. It lasted a whole 2 minutes. Looks like I picked the wrong time to scratch myself.

They probably only had two to sell.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 999
    Seven or so where claimed by brickpickers.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Scored one. I know I got lucky. Question is whether to keep it or flip it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    Keeps coming in and out randomly. Finally got in for 2.
    FollowsClosely
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Me too...picked up a second one aswell
    FollowsClosely
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    I've just had a backordered SSD cancelled as 'they are no longer available'. Did anyone else get theirs?
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    @Dad, mee too, yesterday ([email protected] europe)

btw: TH #10224 is now OOS in europe, too.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 915
    Dad said:

I've just had a backordered SSD cancelled as 'they are no longer available'. Did anyone else get theirs?

Snap my was cancelled too! Ordered when it was call for availability and the guy on the phone said that'll be with you next week as we have stock... What a load of rubbish!
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 148
    Now that eBay's internatonal shipping is gone, I've seen a surge in my sales overseas. I charge heavily for overseas shipping and ship express. I've had packages go "lost" or fraud in the past, but as long as I had my express slip paypal has stood behind me. Has this changed? Why are you guys scared of global shipping? I've found it to be quite profitable.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    bp10030 said:

I honestly cant see how this can be retiring already. I am on stict limits this month as already bought a lot at STEAM and am in the process of setting up and building my own LEGO shed.

I hope this doesn't go as this is one set I don't have to add to my city space.
    edited October 2014
    ^ and ^^ I do have a few so not too bothered. Would have just liked the one more though. #10224 I'll grab a couple this weekend just in case. Won't be missing out on ToO though as I plan on building that. I've only ever paid over the odds for one set and that was #10222. I had to pay £99 each on them this year but that was far better than some of the trades I was getting offered on here.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349

Bellevue, WA Lego store had a few Town halls if anyone in the area is looking for one.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Just called the Cleveland store. They said, TH sales were slow until one day last week, people started coming in by the hour, buying 2 or 3 at a time. So they are out and said they could get more in, but they can't specifically "order" that set. It's on a list where Lego just sends what it can. Maybe a list for sets that are being phased out?

Bricklink shows the cheapest sealed one at $270 in the States. And ironically, that's still only a 10 cents per part price. I just wonder why I waited this long to grab the set. But I still firmly believe it will be back by December or January.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    #10211, #10218 and #10224 all currently backordered on the [email protected] UK...
  • tekrontekron USAMember Posts: 7
    HH back, just snagged 2!
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Gone. Missed out again.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Every time I was able to even get it in cart it said limit of 1 and then wouldn't order. Bah.
    man, that was quick! it said 12 was left right after I purchased..that flew by quick. I wonder if people have alerts setup? I just got lucky and so happened to push refresh on the tab i have dedicated to HH on amazon.
    ok sorry for the multiple posts, but keep pushing refresh. I tried it right now and it looks like it'll show the price @ 179, after a refresh it'll go back to 300+. then go back to 179. Might get lucky..?
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079

bp10030 said:

I honestly cant see how this can be retiring already. I am on stict limits this month as already bought a lot at STEAM and am in the process of setting up and building my own LEGO shed.

I hope this doesn't go as this is one set I don't have to add to my city space.
    I guess it´s a pretty slow seller (well till now) and TLG is already running on maximum production capacity so why not EOL some of those huge sets that take up shelf place in the brand stores and eat up capacity? So to me it makes sense to end these Modulars right now!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,808
    TH have been coming to the LEGO stores, but since people are buying before they can clear shelf space they are not getting to the shelf. Best to phone ahead to see if they have them, same with the Tumbler, Exo Suit and the Research institute, or if there ask if they have them in the back.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    I can't believe that TH is really gone for good. I get that a $200 price point was steep and would detract from certain heights that this set could climb too but I just feel like the PS would have gone first? Plus it was completely random, at least to me, that the TH was all of a sudden gone.
    madforLEGOtwoninerkenTXLegoguyprevere
    At this rate, Lego could possibly to have a real shortage of it's key high-end sets available for Xmas (besides Canada).
    TXLegoguy
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited October 2014
    ^I've been thinking about that and wholeheartedly agree. I think as Christmas gets closer there will be fewer and fewer UCS Tumblers available in stores (along with the other EOL'd sets). My only choice may be between the Ewok Village or the Sandcrawler. I guess I could get the new $175 Lego Watch #5004117 ...not!
    TXLegoguy
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 226

I can't believe that TH is really gone for good. I get that a $200 price point was steep and would detract from certain heights that this set could climb too but I just feel like the PS would have gone first? Plus it was completely random, at least to me, that the TH was all of a sudden gone.

It's not that random anymore. We've been talking about it for 2 weeks, so buy now or potentially miss out.

FollowsClosely
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    I'm really annoyed. All month long I've wanted to order TH, but I decided to wait until the 15th because of their decision to not release the promo set for the first half of the month. When the 15th finally came around, the website crashed and was down all day, meaning I couldn't order as planned. A day later, the site is back online and the set is OOS. Pissed right off at that.

I'm putting my order through regardless, it's giving a ship date of November 4th so hopefully this is a temporary shortage.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,343
    @prevere‌ I'd love it if someone with a big modular city set up was to populate it entirely with Fabuland character. I don't no why but seeing any non standard mini figures used in standard Lego settings always brings a smile to my face!
    prevere
    Maybe we'll see a 1980s-something Fabuland character in the second movie with a speaking part. That would be sweet. Complete with a loose fitting head that always faces down.
    binaryeyebluedragonShib

I'm really annoyed. All month long I've wanted to order TH, but I decided to wait until the 15th because of their decision to not release the promo set for the first half of the month. When the 15th finally came around, the website crashed and was down all day, meaning I couldn't order as planned. A day later, the site is back online and the set is OOS. Pissed right off at that.

I'm putting my order through regardless, it's giving a ship date of November 4th so hopefully this is a temporary shortage.

Annoyed with yourself or [email protected]?
    FollowsCloselymadforLEGO
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2014

How do you do that? A [email protected] representative I spoke with recently said I couldn't order HH via phone (when sold out online), so I can't imagine TH would be any different.

Also, I wanted to point out that TH is now available on Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.de (directly, not marketplace), supposedly shipping on October 28th. Could this be an indication that the sold-out status is just temporary? Hmmm....
    http://www.amazon.fr/Lego-Creator-10224-Construction-Mairie/dp/B007Q72ZA8/ref=sr_1_4?m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1413477627&sr=1-4&keywords=lego

Unfortunately, Amazon.xx will not allow me to order this set (I'm in California). Boo!