Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    The Walking Dead is one of the most popular TV Series in the US. Zombies in general, are the craze. I don't see how Lego doesn't capitalize on this? I know it was an exclusive, but The Zombies is an aftermarket superstar for a reason. The Series 1 Zombie is one of the most popular CMF's right there with the Series 2 Spartan.
    stevemack said:

I'm glad they don't make more sets tbh as it makes these more valuable (eventually) if it's a limited theme!

Not necessarily. If people enjoy a theme, like the Modulars, they may want to collect the entire theme.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,542
    edited September 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

The Walking Dead is one of the most popular TV Series in the US. Zombies in general, are the craze. I don't see how Lego doesn't capitalize on this? I know it was an exclusive, but The Zombies is an aftermarket superstar for a reason. The Series 1 Zombie is one of the most popular CMF's right there with the Series 2 Spartan.

Zombies are relatively adult content considering what zombies typically do to their victims.
    I'm guessing that is also why LEGO did not make a ton of 'The Zombies' sets.

The Series 1 Zombie is also that expensive because it is a rare in a rare series of CMF, and was not added to BaF like the clown and the cheerleader were, also they have had other clowns in later series as well as other similar types in later series (Robot, caveman, Clowns, Cheerleaders, etc). Also LEGO did not make any more zombies until the MF and The Zombies set, but if you notice the Zombie from the Halloween Accessory set and the chauffeur tend to not do a lot because they were in easily accessible sets.
    I think MF is a line that will return, but later. I think LEGO wants to keep alternating their unique lines to keep interest up in other ideas.
    That is possible, but Lego has made a fair share of Zombies. If a zombie is too adult oriented, why bother making ANY zombies in the first place. My daughter (4) and nephew (8) dress up and play zombies all of the time. In fact; the other day my daughter was dressing up as Elsa from frozen and decided to be a "zombie" Elsa.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    ^That would make for a really long winter.
    Pitfall69CoraHarrison
    ^It has already been a long summer ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    Also if zombies are too adult, the surely blood drinking vampires are too?
    Pitfall69
    edited September 2014
    CCC said:

Also if zombies are too adult, the surely blood drinking vampires are too?

Yes, and how many Vampires have been made? MF, Studio, and CMF, about the same as the Zombie if I am not mistaken.

Just telling it like it is.
    I'm guessing people do not let their kids watch Walking Dead, or that new Zombie show on Sci Fi. Are Zombies a hot topic on TV and in movies? Sure, but by most of the implications in those movies/TV shows are violent and bloody and more adult oriented, and not your happy chummy Zombie buddy comedy.

Cartoony reflections of these monsters... like scooby doo, I get it, but unless there is another MF (which probably will not happen for another year), I'm guessing Zombies are shelved and will not be their own series.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2014
    There are fewer and fewer shows that I will consider letting my kids watch these days...
    MathBuilderFollowsCloselymdelleman
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Same here.

There are fewer and fewer shows that I will consider letting my kids watch these days...

cloaked7 said:

^ Same here.

I agree, but I would rather have my children watch shows like The Walking Dead than shows like Law and Order SVU. I don't let my children watch either obviously, but at least she knows that Zombies aren't real.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Pitfall69 said:

I don't let my children watch either obviously, but at least she knows that Zombies aren't real.

To be honest, I don't think my kids know what a zombie is...but I have to admit they once thought they could be jedi knights. Fortunately it was the Luke variety; not the Anakin variety. I couldn't bring myself to expose them to such poor acting at such an early age.
    MathBuilderLegoKip
    Hahaha. Yeah.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150

Fortunately it was the Luke variety; not the Anakin variety. I couldn't bring myself to expose them to such poor acting at such an early age.

LOL
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    Don't forget games like Plants vs. Zombies. Because of the cartoon nature and fun game theme, kids are familiar with zombies that way and not just via more graphic movies.

edited September 2014
    It's not just zombies. Vampires are glorified. And the Hunger Games? What kind of message does it send?
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^That rich people eat well.
    Just in: Ebay and PayPal are parting ways?
    ^ It does make sense. PayPal has become so much more than ebay. I use it so often but rarely use ebay. It is good to see it as a payment tool in it's own right, and not having it's direction forced by ebay decisions. No doubt it will remain integrated into ebay just as it is integrated into many other sites these days.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,889
    ^ will either get any cheaper to use? Just waiting for PP to up their take to 5% like Amex cards.
  • stegmancostegmanco Member Posts: 42
    Any speculation to the fact that I went to Lego.com and now the HH has a hand over the add to bag button?
    ^Hmmm...can't see it when I go there. But I have to admit, I do like the looks of the HH...especially the color. I expect it will be at $500 by next fall assuming TLG doesn't re-release it before then.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Pitfall69 said:

Just in: Ebay and PayPal are parting ways?

Even better news J.D is getting fired next year!

All this good news and xmas promo starting tonite....good times :)

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    Paypal raising fees has got to be coming. How long have they had it at 2.9% + 30 cents...seems like forever. Of course the competition in that space is probably keeping them in check.

• juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Research Institute in stock at [email protected]
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
    Just called both Lego [email protected] (North America) and local stores (GTA area), they don't have Research Institute.
    Pitfall69
    Nor does [email protected] UK.
  • sdetskysdetsky Member Posts: 35
    ^^ Both Exo-Suit and Research Institute have been available for several weeks at Toys 'r' Us Canada (which, for those elsewhere, does not do mark-ups over RRP like TRU in the U.S.).
    Please, for the love of all that is holy, state which [email protected] you are referring to!!!!
    canon03JamesJTTXLegoguydougtslego007ShibFollowsCloselyRainstorm26LegoKip
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Amen @Pitfall69‌ :)
    TXLegoguy
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    It was at [email protected] - USA, and apparently only lasted minutes. There was a limit of 1.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Shame it wasn't a day later... Less "filler" to hit my 99 order for the freebie!
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    For the double VIP promotion I've got in mind:

5x10221
    1x10241 (it'll never see the light of day in Australia at retail level)
    1x10237 (ditto)
    3x10211
    4x10228

Anything else you'd add at this point?
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Personally I would stick with just 10221 and 10228. Both of those will outperform 10211 handily. 10241 and 10237 are not going anywhere for a while. Paying AUD prices tho is too much. Definitely check into using a re-shipping service in the USA prior to EOL next time. You could have got everything on your list while the dollar was close to parity for alot less. Sadly I think you will make better money buying USD than legos at this point in your economic cycle.
    I would say look into buying #10235 WV Market sets as well.
    Not the huge potential that something like a #10221 could potentially have, but they are smaller, cost less, and they are likely gone at the end of this year as well.

Also I am wondering how long #10244 really is going out for. Yes it is only a year, but then again it is not really a seasonal set, or a typical creator set is it? My guess is it will be out until at least end of next year, but that set is a bit curious.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    What's the verdict on #10225? Will this set stick around for another year?
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2014
    HH need showing sold out on [email protected] uk
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Just had a dispatch note for mine.. I did order it about 4 weeks ago though!
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 902
    Gavin83 said:

Been out for 2.5 years now... Who knows :)
    I was just wondering about R2. I would guess another half year at least, but with the X-Wing UCS out there and on the heels of the Slave I launch - he could get zapped by the end of the year.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815

Just had a dispatch note for mine.. I did order it about 4 weeks ago though!

Beautiful...Mine have just shipped too.

• starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2014
    stevemack said:

Gavin83 said:

Been out for 2.5 years now... Who knows :)
    i am thinking it will stay at least till 2015 .. .... but really who knows right except the TLG and their high level executives...
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    Maybe I missed a post or two, but is TRU (in the US) discontinuing selling modulars? Town Hall, Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema, Pet Shop- all sold out. Various other Creator sets are also unavailable (Fairground Mixer, Camper Van, etc. Maybe Lego is having production issues? Weird...
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    Screen shot for above post
    ^^ I could see that happening. In the past they, as well as Walmart and Target, would discount them to clear out inventory, but they can't discount them now, so maybe that lead TRU to not sell them.
    madforLEGO
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    Just conducting my usual morning check of LEGO [email protected] USA and I am noticing the TH is showing as "Sold Out". We all know to take this with a grain of salt these days but interesting that the availability of that set has changed; I havent noticed it before?
    It is interesting. I don't think the Town Hall has sold as well as the other modulars. I wonder if the Town Hall is just sold out because of the Double VIP promotion.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Pitfall69 said:

I wonder if the Town Hall is just sold out because of the Double VIP promotion.

When I checked the site earlier this morning (about 2.5 hours ago), it was out of stock with an expected ship date. That it's now simply sold out must mean something.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 751
    Still available on UK site. Hopefully it will still be there when they start doing the Xmas Freebie on the 15th
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    This is a real bummer. I was waiting to order two things with double VIP this year: The Batman Tumbler for me and the TH for my wife. I was on a business trip for the last four days and had no chance to order anything.

Lego has completely biffed it for me this year. I guess I can always pay full price at Walmart but I was looking forward to that 10% off (4% with tax.)
    TXLegoguy