Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    It has less to do with "getting me to buy something" than just being a nice bonus for shopping with the company.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,433
    I got out of baseball card collecting before the crash. The companies' egos just became too big. Same thing is happening with Lego. I'm slowly becoming disillusioned with the whole AFOL thing. It's starting to become just a kid's toy in my eyes again. It's sad really. They are just too big and need to be knocked down a peg or two.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

I'm slowly becoming disillusioned with the whole AFOL thing. It's starting to become just a kid's toy in my eyes again. It's sad really. They are just too big and need to be knocked down a peg or two.

Lego is a very expensive kid's toy. I don't plan on spending much on Lego this year due to other financial obligations. Like others I'm sore about the lack of discounting on Exclusive sets. It's definitely limited my spending habits.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Well if they were smart they would set up a few more warehouses within zone 5 of all areas on the mainland and move to Priority Mail to cut their shipping costs by 50% and offer 2-3 day shipping. That move to dimensional pricing in Jan by Fedex is going to hurt them bigtime.

While I tend to agree with you, they might now be large enough to get an exception to dimensional pricing.

Not all companies play by the same rules. Get your volume high enough... :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

Or even to spite your face.

Tomato - tomaato.

@cheshirecat - You are like the UK version of my wife, and I sincerely mean that in a good way. :-)
    Legoboysidersdd
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited September 2014

Cash back sites are nice, but lets be honest... is 3% going to get you to buy something you otherwise weren't going to?

Well, sure, for some people, it might... but I suspect a lot of it was just giving away money to existing customers.

It was 5%, the same as LEGO VIP. So, the two made a nice 10% discount. On my latest VW Van purchase the bonuses bought my lunch today. So, it's definitely a consideration for me. And, often the determining factor for WHERE I buy something. Direct from LEGO or Wally World, Target, Amazon? Oh yeah, I have cash back cards for Target and Amazon too! I love to eat out with a gift card I got with CC bonus points. $3 here, $5 there, the next thing I know I have a $50 gift card.

The same goes for freebies, like the mini VW van. Those are often the determining factor for WHEN and WHERE I buy a set. And, sometimes the determining factor of IF I even buy it at all.

I think everyone loves a discount, a bonus, a freebie, etc. I do.

CircleKFarmer_John
    ^ Yes, but the cash back from Target and Amazon comes out of Target and Amazon's pocket, not LEGO's :)

Does TLG really care if you buy your LEGO from [email protected] or Target? At the end of the day, have you noticed that you still bought it? :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2014
    A little something I noticed is that TLG adds taxes when using VIP points in stores, but not online. As much as I want to spend money in my local LEGO store to support it, I don't want to waste 10% (the local tax rate) of my VIP points on taxes. Hence, I will try spend money in the stores when I can to get the double VIP points; however, I will always use the VIP points online.
    madforLEGOLegoKip
  • flyingpigflyingpig Member Posts: 119

Cash back sites are nice, but lets be honest... is 3% going to get you to buy something you otherwise weren't going to?

Well, sure, for some people, it might... but I suspect a lot of it was just giving away money to existing customers.

Ignoring a zero effort way to cut costs by 3-5% in this thread is crazy talk.

And if LEGO plans to do without all referrer fees for online sales they must know something every other major online retailer doesn't. Or have technical problems as already pointed out.
    edited September 2014

Does TLG really care if you buy your LEGO from [email protected] or Target? At the end of the day, have you noticed that you still bought it? :)

Sure, any company LEGO wants to sell their product, versus not sell it. So, generally the more avenues the better. But, all things being equal they want to sell as many units as they can at at the highest profit percentage. I think that would be LEGO stores and lego.com. But, then again, they nixed the Discover cash back bonus, so who knows?

Do I buy the product anyway? Honestly, No. I may be the odd one, but I have a difficult time paying full retail plus 10% sales tax. I for one don't buy as many LEGOS as I have in the past. And, I don't buy as much from Amazon now that I'm charged sales tax.

It is pretty obvious that LEGO thinks they don't have to offer as many incentives to still sell as much product as they did in the past. (Generally speaking companies hate to offer incentives. My company does.) Maybe that will work out for them. Personally, I'm not buying as many LEGOS as in the past. I'm more picky now. And, I realize I'm just one person, and my purchases don't make a difference to LEGO. But, to me they do.

• goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    cloaked7 said:

I don't. But hear me out.

The proliferation of deals and stackable approaches has reached a point that it is a deterrent to my regular purchases. For a purchase at Lowes, I can walk-in and pay with my rewards CC. Yippee, I get a little cash back. But I do that knowing...

I can use my rewards CC (+1) to buy a Lowes Gift Card, getting either an online purchase discount or gasoline reward program points (+1). I then log in through a rewards/cashback site (+1) and make the purchase online for store pickup. Of course you need to apply an online coupon code (+1). And if I buy something that is on sale or clearance (+1) I get another level of discount. So my feeling is that if I'm not stacking 5 individual discounts, I'm getting cheated. And if I want to maximize my discount, I have to compare several alternate options for at least 3 of those discounts to find the "best".

If I believed that stores would actually pass the savings on, I would much rather wipe out the discounts. Of course, I don't. So I'll be stacking for some time. Not loving it, but it is better than the alternative.

Confirmed that LEGO is gone from Upromise as well. Only Wal*Mart and TRU remain on their active list.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    I am a little surprised that the mods have not put an end to all this cashback talk. I believe it was forum etiquette not to discuss such things given that they directly compete with the site's source of income.

Unless, it is a fact that LEGO is/will be done with all such programs and only keep the affiliated sites/forums program? In which case the membership will be more incentivized to support the site?

Also, what if LEGO is getting rid of the affiliated program too?
    bp10030
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    #31012 Familiy House already listed with "Call to check availability..." at [email protected] That was a short shelve time of 16 months only. Why?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,096
    goshe7 said:

cloaked7 said:

I don't. But hear me out.

The proliferation of deals and stackable approaches has reached a point that it is a deterrent to my regular purchases.

I agree. I never purchase from [email protected] or The Lego Store unless there is a freebie or discount.
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    edited September 2014
    bp10030 said:

#31012 Familiy House already listed with "Call to check availability..." at [email protected] That was a short shelve time of 16 months only. Why?

Don't say that, I've got one sealed in the wardrobe that I planned to build with my son over Xmas. If its going to retire I might have to keep it for 'investment' :-(
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    So now that #10221 is listed as retired on [email protected] in many parts of the world, would I be mad to wait for double VIP to grab it from [email protected] AU (where it's not yet listed as sold out or retired)? I rarely buy from [email protected] so can someone confirm that there's no conditions or exclusions attached and that I will indeed be able to access double VIP anywhere in the world on any set?
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited September 2014
    The problem with waiting is that AU stock comes from Europe and as far as I can tell are from the same source as the UK and probably the rest of Europe. They have the same status for this set "Out of stock, expected ship date 21st October" and we generally have the same promo's at the same time.

To get VIP points you need to join the VIP program, you can do this online if you haven't already, I had issues when I joined and I didn't get points on my first order and so I had to call them, it may be worth creating an account and contacting them now about it so your ready to go when you decide to buy.

Not sure if it is what you meant but you can only buy from the country's site that you are shipping too. So if you only have an AU address then you have to buy from the AU [email protected] store.

Lastly I don't think we have seen anything official about us getting double VIP points but I assume we should.
    edited September 2014
    Another possibility (at least here in the States) is that TLG traded in the discounts for free shipping. It used to be that free shipping was only offered on special occasions such as Black Friday. Now it goes with every order over $75. Perhaps it's a wash for TLG from an overall cost standpoint, but they are able to drive greater total revenue since more typical customers (not us Bricksetters) like the continuous "free shipping" discount.

To be honest, I have to admit that the original way TLG discounted products facilitated resellers more than helping the typical LEGO purchaser. But that's just a thought...
    I've always wondered about whether you had to actually create a VIP account with a purchase, or whether you could set one up preemptively. Doesn't [email protected] stipulate that you create a VIP account at the time of purchase?
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Confirmed with a Discover rep that LEGO will not be a cashback partner going forward. It is not a glitch. I now do most of my buying through other vendors so not a big concern for me. I only use [email protected] when I need to battle somali pirates. 5% was fun but not a deal breaker, just another cost increase for buyers at the other end.

You can create a VIP account whenever you want. They will not mail out the card until your first purchase tho. Just use the email address instore to get the VIP points if you don't have the card yet.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,412
    LeonC said:

bp10030 said:

Don't say that, I've got one sealed in the wardrobe that I planned to build with my son over Xmas. If its going to retire I might have to keep it for 'investment' :-(
    I just added it to my cart. Still Available.

TXLegoguy
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,845

Cash back works for those who can also manage their money properly, otherwise getting 5% cash back on a card charging 14.99% interest does not make much sense.
    It is the same with eBates to a lesser extent. 'I got paid by eBates' commercials a real joke. It is a bit like saying 'well I saved money by buying this on sale instead of at retail' when in reality they could have not bought it altogether.
    Farmer_John
    ^You might as well lump home mortgages in there too. Personally, I view not paying down a home mortgage just to get a write-off on your taxes as a form of insanity.
    madforLEGOpharmjodObserverAndor
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

^You might as well lump home mortgages in there too. Personally, I view not paying down a home mortgage just to get a write-off on your taxes as a form of insanity.

I never pay the mortgage below the homestead provision for our state. I happily take the tax write-off and bankruptcy protection. Not to mention I can easily make more than the 3% effective interest rate the mortgage is costing us which is barely above inflation. Free money as far as I am concerned.

dougtsPitfall69Rainstorm26itsnotme
    If you qualify to take the mortgage interest deduction and you have other unsecured loans (Credit Cards, Automobiles etc.) You should always pay those off those first before paying down your mortgage. Even if you don't have any unsecured debt, the "free money" that @doriansdad mentioned can be used to invest.

Why is it insane? In most cases you can keep your home if you file personal bankruptcy. Why sink all of your money into the mortgage when you can put it into an IRA? If you claim bankruptcy, you get to keep any money in an IRA. Again, paying off all your unsecured debt first is the best way to go before paying down your mortgage. It is common sense no?

#31012 Family House is back to "Call to check product availability" at US [email protected]
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Of course you pay off all your unsecured debt first, but I agree about keeping a mortgage the entire length of the loan if you have the ability to pay it off being silly. Losing the tax write off I still have more money in my pocket in the long run not paying a full 15-30 years worth of interest on a large note. Personally, I wish there was no mortgage deduction. People would likely buy more reasonable homes and we may have never gotten into the mess we did 6 years ago.
    FollowsClosely
    I got the Family House. Now after the earlier postings I don't know if I should pay it off or not. Put the money in my piggy bank? Pay off the Family House? Decisions, decisions.. May I keep my #31012 if I go bankrupt? What about my piggy bank? Will they break it open? I need to call my CPA! :-)
    dougtsBumblepants
    Pitfall69 said:

Why is it insane? In most cases you can keep your home if you file personal bankruptcy. Why sink all of your money into the mortgage when you can put it into an IRA? If you claim bankruptcy, you get to keep any money in an IRA. Again, paying off all your unsecured debt first is the best way to go before paying down your mortgage. It is common sense no?

@Pitfall69 - I think you're extrapolating on what I said. My point is that I know people (close friends and family) that tell me having a mortgage is great because they get to write it off on their taxes. They intentionally do NOT pay off mortgages because of the wonderful opportunity to deduct it on their Schedule A. Insanity! I'm betting the interest you pay the bank will consistently be greater than the money you save by writing off mortgage interest. I have a personal abhorrence of any kind of debt, and my personal philosophy is not to owe any person or institution anything. When the government steps in (and they're currently discussing it) to snap up yours and my private pensions, 401Ks, and IRAs to help pay down the debt, those who used that money to pay down their homes will be thankful.

To your point though, if I was in debt I would definitely pay down the high interest debt and work my way to the lowest (which is typically the mortgage).
    pharmjodlego007ObserverAndor
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 917
    This must be a USA thing as in the UK I overpay my mortgage as much as possible to save thousands in interest! We cant write off tax/interest :(
    FollowsClosely
    ^ In the US, you can, if you don't take the standard deduction, write off your interest and property taxes on your federal income tax.

That being said, it is just moving money from one pocket to the other, if they got rid of it, technically tax rates could be lowered slightly. (they won't do that of course, but they could).

The total amount of tax paid doesn't have to change, just where it comes from.
    Yeah, and in the US if you own a boat that has a galley, head, and berth (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom) it qualifies as a home (either a primary or secondary) and you may deduct the loan interest on it too.
    edited September 2014

That being said, it is just moving money from one pocket to the other, if they got rid of it, technically tax rates could be lowered slightly. (they won't do that of course, but they could).

Flat tax, baby, flat tax!
    cloaked7 said:

Yeah, and in the US if you own a boat that has a galley, head, and berth (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom) it qualifies as a home (either a primary or secondary) and you may deduct the loan interest on it too.

I didn't know that! I don't own a boat, but know people who do. I'll have to share that with them...

Sorry I got us off on mortgages...I promise to cease and desist.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,096
    It could be a boom time for resellers in Canada ...

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/companies-and-industries/canada-lego-shortage/
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,348
    ^I wonder how many people are now adjusting their "shipping" costs for parcels to Canada.
    In terms of Lego's supply chain, what's the difference between 'Sold Out' and 'Out of Stock, expected ship date...'?
    ^Sold out means it is gone and Out of Stock means it is probably will be available again at some point.
    That's what I thought as well until I saw the GE listed as 'Sold Out' on [email protected] AU only for it to re-appear a few weeks later as 'Available Now'. If Lego plans to continue producing a set, it seems that both a shipping delay and being 'Sold Out' are caused by the same factor; a 'gap' in the supply chain that opens up as demand outpaces production.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

In terms of Lego's supply chain, what's the difference between 'Sold Out' and 'Out of Stock, expected ship date...'?

In practice? Nothing
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52
    My order for HH was cancelled this morning. :-( It had been backordered since the first week of September.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 917
    Uk or USA?
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Edgar, a "gap in the supply chain" or demand exceeding supply, does not cause shipping delays. That's a different matter. Shipping delays can occur even when supply is adequate or even excessive. And your saying "If Lego plans to continue producing a set..." , well, if they don't have a good handle on how many units are out there (I expect inventory management can be very difficult on a global scale), they sometimes don't know whether they are going to continue production or not. And the closely-watched fellow who applies tags such as "out of stock", and "sold out" to items at [email protected] certainly doesn't know the production plans. How could he? At least for a time, even TLG doesn't seem to know whether there will be more of a particular set or not. Like Research Institute.
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52
    stevemack said:

Uk or USA?

USA
    ^ All true...

Keep in mind, to the average customer, it makes little difference if one specific set or another comes back or not, consumers buy what is on the market at that moment in time, not what they wish was on the market.

Of course retired sets sell, but I don't believe they sell in volume.

TLG doesn't have any obligation to be accurate in their "sold out" or "out of stock" notes, after all, they can decide to not make more sets, then a week later change their mind and say, "yea, lets make another run of those".

I expect TLG to do what is in their own best interest internally, I doubt what we all say and think here is part of their day-to-day thinking. It must surely be talked about from time to time, but if it drives their regular decisions then I submit they are focused on the wrong market. :)

Regular parents and grandparents who buy LEGO as a creative toy for their kids and grandkids are the primary market.
    True, but the kids aren't the ones shelling out the money to buy these sets. Also, you don't know how many times I heard my nephew and my daughter want something in the Lego catalog or online that was no longer being made.

^ All true...

Keep in mind, to the average customer, it makes little difference if one specific set or another comes back or not, consumers buy what is on the market at that moment in time, not what they wish was on the market.

Of course retired sets sell, but I don't believe they sell in volume.

TLG doesn't have any obligation to be accurate in their "sold out" or "out of stock" notes, after all, they can decide to not make more sets, then a week later change their mind and say, "yea, lets make another run of those".

I expect TLG to do what is in their own best interest internally, I doubt what we all say and think here is part of their day-to-day thinking. It must surely be talked about from time to time, but if it drives their regular decisions then I submit they are focused on the wrong market. :)

Regular parents and grandparents who buy LEGO as a creative toy for their kids and grandkids are the primary market.

Yup, LEGO is all about the here and now. When I was new to LEGO, and before I understood that, it bugged me that I could only look up current (or relatively current) sets on lego.com.

• legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    @iluvmyelement HH 10228 back to Out of stock, expected ship date 4 Oct 2014
    Pitfall69
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    I noticed that "sold out" was becoming synonymous with "out of stock" several months ago when Willis Tower and Catwoman Catcycle were brought back after being "sold out". I thought the company was just trying to make it more difficult for resellers to plan their strategy of accumulating sets just before retirement.

But now I'm not so sure about all that. Again, let's use Research Institute as exhibit A. Let's agree that it is uncertain whether there will be more of those. If [email protected] just showed the item as "out of stock", (even with no ability to preorder) shoppers might be willing to wait a while, in hopes of buying one later at retail. But since [email protected] says that RI is "sold out", doesn't that in itself drive shoppers to the secondary market, benefiting resellers?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    No because most shoppers wouldn't appreciate any difference between out of stock and sold out.