Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I pulled the trigger on #10220 a while back, but I only got one. I probably should get a couple more, just to have in case it does skyrocket which will make me hesitate to open an build one :)
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited June 2014
    VeeDub has a cult following. For that matter, the minibus itself has a cult following. I've showed pics of the set to a few of minibus loving friends and they were floored. I also know a couple of non-AFOLs who have bought the set. I would think that would equal an after-market win, but I've been wrong at least once before.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Dougout said:

^^Just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust anything an employee says about a set going EOL. They aren't told anything directly, anything they "know" is pure speculation.

This doesn't invalidate your point, but Astericked didn't say the employee offered up any prediction. Instead, the employee stated that they hadn't received any in quite a while, which is a statement of fact.
    pharmjodFollowsCloselyAstericked
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited June 2014
    Well, the employee may have made a statement, but whether it's fact or not could be debated. I think it's safer to assume that anything said by an employee is to be taken with a grain of salt, because they tend to provide as much misinformation as they do information.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    ^ The difference here is that the employee didn't make a statement about whether the set was gone, they made a statement about their stores shipments which was likely an indisputable fact and not open for debate. The employee didn't say "I don't think they're sending anymore" they said "They haven't sent any in quite a while". First is speculation second is a fact.
    pharmjodFollowsClosely
    edited June 2014
    ^ Fair enough, but I also saw this exact scenario go down at the Wauwatosa store about 1.5 years ago...

Customer: Do you have the Fire Brigade?
    Employee 1: We haven't gotten Fire Brigades since we opened
    Employee 2: We did, there are a couple boxes in the back

"Facts" are indeed disputable and open for debate, because they are only as reliable as the source. For example, one could state as a fact that they can get 27% off exclusives any time they want. Of course, if they couldn't follow up with support on how to actually do it, that "fact" gets downgraded to nothing more than rumor and hot air.
    FollowsCloselydougts
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

"Facts" are indeed disputable and open for debate, because they are only as reliable as the source. For example, one could state as a fact that they can get 27% off exclusives any time they want. Of course, if they couldn't follow up with support on how to actually do it, that "fact" gets downgraded to nothing more than rumor and hot air.

I am not going to let a bunch of noob flippers ruin that opportunity for the rest of us. All I will say is if you do your homework the opportunity is there. Luckily that homework is too advanced for brickpickers :)

10221 now call to check availability on [email protected] N. America.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    ^ At the very least could you tell @Farmer_John because he seems to have taken the loss of LEGO discounts paticularly badly.
    rocao
    I'm not sure who the rest of "US" is but I'm not a "noob flipper" and I still have no idea how one routinely gets 27% off of items that are by LEGO's own definition not discountable in the USA. At least not any legal / ethical means. I'd love to find out simply because I'd like to make my $ go further.
    TheLoneTensordougts
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    edited June 2014
    I could see getting a small discount via using Amazon to avoid state taxes and coupled reward points. This year our Kid's Entertainment Book had two Lego coupons with no deadline or exclusions ($5 of a $20 purchase and $20 off a $100 purchase - in-store only). That pretty much just takes out taxes, so it's a wash via that or Amazon.

In fact, I found a link pretty easily, at least for my region.

http://mykscb.com/kidstuff-coupon-book-editions/cle-edition/#
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    #10221 now "sold out" on US [email protected]
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Star-Destroyer-10221?fromListing=listing

How many do Amazon have? Is it time to start the count down?
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    pharmjod said:

I still have no idea how one routinely gets 27% off of items that are by LEGO's own definition not discountable in the USA. At least not any legal / ethical means. I'd love to find out simply because I'd like to make my $ go further.

The only way I know of is to get a discount that isn't called a discount. Getting a gift card, collectible minifig, or other collectible set with purchase. If the collectible can be sold for $25 it can be a great discount, depending on the RRP of the initial set purchased.

minicoopers11
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited June 2014
    Only thing I can think of regarding that high a level of discount would be using some combination of credit card reward points, ebates, selling off any promotional item like the current balloon cart, and store specific rewards like VIP points or Targets red card. Even then I can't see hitting 27% on exclusives on a regular basis.
    FollowsCloselydougtspharmjod
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    I can set it happens with:
    5%, 10% or 15% from VIP Points (5% is routine, 10% on a predicable calendar, 15% but not sure when triple VIP will happen again..)
    then 2.5% to 5% from cask back site
    then 2.5% to 5% from cash back credit card
    + freebies + shopping to a state without sales tax

If a few things align, it is a quick 20% off and can be much more if luck is in your side.
    Legobutterfly
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    ^Agreed, 10 or 15% VIP, cash back site, cash back credit card and a decent promo combined with shipping to a state without sales tax gets you to 27% off pretty quickly. Using that logic, every day would be 5% VIP/5% shopdiscover/5-11% for promo and ship to a state without sales tax to save 6% PA.

Has anyone figured out with discover credit card for example, do you get shopdiscover discount and your normal cash back on top of that or just the shopdiscover percentage? Thanks,
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341

^Agreed, 10 or 15% VIP, cash back site, cash back credit card and a decent promo combined with shipping to a state without sales tax gets you to 27% off pretty quickly. Using that logic, every day would be 5% VIP/5% shopdiscover/5-11% for promo and ship to a state without sales tax to save 6% PA.

Has anyone figured out with discover credit card for example, do you get shopdiscover discount and your normal cash back on top of that or just the shopdiscover percentage? Thanks,

its in additional to shop discover. but the cash back on discover is only 1% after the minimum spending threshold is reached. also there is that rotating 5% bonus category.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    JamesJT said:

Amazon had a pre-order up the other day but nothing is available from them right now. No shortage of 10221 in europe or asia if you can wait for July. It will be interesting if they restock the USA (I am guessing they will). Or it could go the way of B-Wing and retire very early in N. America.

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Renny said:

Only thing I can think of regarding that high a level of discount would be using some combination of credit card reward points, ebates, selling off any promotional item like the current balloon cart, and store specific rewards like VIP points or Targets red card. Even then I can't see hitting 27% on exclusives on a regular basis.

Good point. I forgot about Shop Discover. Although I used it on my last LEGO order 2 days ago! he he So, I got 5% off with VIP and 5% off with Shop Discover. Sadly, sales tax for me is 10%, so all I did was get the LEGOS tax free. And, now we're charged sales tax on Amazon, so the good ole days are gone for me, in several ways. :-)

• The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239

JamesJT said:

Amazon had a pre-order up the other day but nothing is available from them right now. No shortage of 10221 in europe or asia if you can wait for July. It will be interesting if they restock the USA (I am guessing they will). Or it could go the way of B-Wing and retire very early in N. America.

I know catalogs are not an indicator of EOL on products, but I just received the latest Summer catalog and there was almost a whole page given to the 10221 SSD.
    FollowsClosely
    All of those suggestions are great, but don't amount to 27% off exclusives "any time I want".
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    ^ What if "they" only want them when they all line up. Then the statement holds true =)
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    ^ Perhaps, but that would be one tortured statement!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    27% off exclusives is the white whale of Brickset
    Pitfall69LostInTranslation
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    It can be done via B&N using a 20% coupon with 10% member discount, but depending on the availability in-store. i.e. EV3 and DS
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited June 2014
    ^^^ Ha! You gotta love Seinfeld references.

For those keeping track, Target is also now sold out of the #10221 SSD. They had some last night, but at a $100 markup. Unless [email protected] is restocked, that might have been the last of the US 10221's.
    edited June 2014
    Which also brings up the point that B&N beats [email protected] on a normal day, since member discount is essentially Double VIP as instant cash rebate. And that's without considering their many >20% coupons frequently sent out. Which is why there's no reason to shop directly at Lego stores unless there's a nice poly being scroogely given out.

Ever since they implemented the no-discount rule, I get a perverse sense of satisfaction & glee when I shaft Lego out of a few direct bucks in an act of protest.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    @BrickDancer, while they were not excluded at first, they now are... Recent exclude list: " LEGO(R) Architecture Studio, LEGO(R) Mindstorms EV3, LEGO(R) Star Wars 10225 R2D2, LEGO(R) Star Wars Death Star"
    ^I thought I just saw another Bricksetter just recently saying they scored on a DS for ~$288?

But yea the exclusions are starting to be listed. However, personally I've only seen 2 of those restricted sets in a B&N store before: Studio and EV3 (which I got for nearly 50% off). But they can't list every single exclusive on their coupon, so I have my fingers crossed to run into an Ewok Village someday.
    So happy I secured a SSD on the first warning shot a couple months ago :phew:
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    While 27% can probably be had on rare occasions; can this be done any day of the week? I think that is the main point of the discussion.
    pharmjod
    I'm still trying to figure how to get 27% off.
    LegoManiaccpharmjodminicoopers11
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Since there are so many OT sets being released this summer (a good thing) there might be a halo effect for the SSD. Also the SSD uses so many common elements that it probably doesn't cost Lego as much to keep it in circulation.
    Pitfall69
  • hendrikdejagerhendrikdejager Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2014
    Talking about discounts, in my country (Netherlands) we have a "Buy 3 pay 2" offer each October at ToysXL. This goes for all sets they have in stock and they have all exclusives up to Ewok Village. While in the store you can't pick 2 of the same sets you can in their webshop. But in store its a matter of finding 3 sets in the same price range for a nice discount up to ~33%.

Getting 8129's at €79. Those were the days :3
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,713
    edited June 2014

Which also brings up the point that B&N beats [email protected] on a normal day, since member discount is essentially Double VIP as instant cash rebate. And that's without considering their many >20% coupons frequently sent out. Which is why there's no reason to shop directly at Lego stores unless there's a nice poly being scroogely given out.

Ever since they implemented the no-discount rule, I get a perverse sense of satisfaction & glee when I shaft Lego out of a few direct bucks in an act of protest.

Of Course You have to
    A) Have a B&N near you that actually carries LEGO in the store (as the B&N.com either has coupons that do not work with Toys)
    Or
    B) B&N.com has to have LEGO sets you would actually want.

^I thought I just saw another Bricksetter just recently saying they scored on a DS for ~$288?

But yea the exclusions are starting to be listed. However, personally I've only seen 2 of those restricted sets in a B&N store before: Studio and EV3 (which I got for nearly 50% off). But they can't list every single exclusive on their coupon, so I have my fingers crossed to run into an Ewok Village someday.

Well, if you catch the right (ignorant) worker, they can force discounts, even on items that are excluded. I.e. you might be able to smooth talk them "what do you mean it's not working, can you do it manually? Gosh you're cute" all the while distracting them from seeing the fine print.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ The "gosh you're cute" move was much more effective 20 years ago. Now that I'm a middle-aged dad, it will more likely result in a face full of mace than it will a discount.
    AsterickedpharmjodDougoutLostInTranslationJP3804Legobutterflyjasorminicoopers11
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

^ At the very least could you tell @Farmer_John because he seems to have taken the loss of LEGO discounts paticularly badly.

Thanks @cheshirecat! Now I have to go kick the dog again!
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I imaging being (or knowing one personally) an authorised reseller with Lego could give you a 27% discount, pretty simple really.

Getting any set you want I.e. Store exclusives, could be difficult though.
  • BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29
    If you lived in the Midwest there was a way to get Amazon gift cards between ~20%-~40% off from a local chain store similar to Walmart. You could then buy any LEGO set that Amazon offered for said discount. This was a legit way of buying Amazon gift cards before it ended last month. (This went on for over a year before they stopped it) This might not be what the other poster was talking about but it was a fairly easy way to accomplish the discount.

BigKid
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    ^^Most authorized retailers can not get exclusives. The only exceptions in the US are Amazon, TRU, Target, and Wal-Mart. So no 27% off that way.
    BigKid said:

If you lived in the Midwest there was a way to get Amazon gift cards between ~20%-~40% off from a local chain store similar to Walmart.

BigKid

I suppose you mean Meijer. Why not just say Meijer?

• BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2014
    Figured most on here wouldn't know what Meijer was. Most could relate to a store that's similar to Walmart. Although I do believe Meijer was in the grocery & hard lines business before Walmart was. :)

I hope this helps your Kramer/Newman dilemma!

BigKid

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101

That was me. I was very surprised to run across a #10188 in the store. I happened to have a 20% off one item coupon. I did not notice that there were any exclusions on it and had no problem using it on checkout. That store also has 2x EV3 so it was a tough decision which "exclusive" to get. With the added 10% off members discount, the total discount equalled 28%.

Funny things is that the B&N I was at is 2.5 hours away. It was dumb luck to find it as I dont troll it weekly and Raleigh, NC has lots of Lego fans.

This is only the second time Ive seen high dollars sets at B&N. A year ago, I did see 2xR2D2's but the usual find is a couple beat up #7964!

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    dougts said:

27% off exclusives is the white whale of Brickset

^ Thar she blows!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Is Benny's Spaceship an exclusive/no discount set, or can we expect to see sales? Debating whether to wait.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,456
    I've seen it listed in enough places in the UK to think it isn't but most of those have it listed without any stock so don't know how widely it's going to be available.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2014
    Its for sale on Isme, Very and Woolworths,

Just need to now wait for a voucher or 3 for 2 to come along.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Also worth noting that the Ghostbusters set is also available on all the ones i mentioned.

Pretty good deal for people who haven't yet placed an order.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523

Its for sale on Isme, Very and Woolworths,

Just need to now wait for a voucher or 3 for 2 to come along.

They are all the same company, I think, so maybe not as widespread as it would appear.