Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 903
    Mine have all gone in the loft for storage for 2 years (Retirement + 1 Year)
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    JamesJT said:

prevere said:

^How about another Technic Shuttle with fiber optics? That said, how about ANYTHING with fiber optics...

I bet there's a NASA shuttle in #42025 somewhere, I'll let you know if I find it.

Found it
    http://s266.photobucket.com/user/JamesJT_bucket/media/Shuttle3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s266.photobucket.com/user/JamesJT_bucket/media/Shuttle1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

rocaoMathBuilder
    edited May 2014
    Anyone have any thoughts on the minecraft sets? #21102 #21105 #21106?

With 'The End' #21107 coming out shortly, does this mean the end for these sets/line too?
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242

^ It would help a little if you put a # in front of those models so that people can link to the set details. It would help a lot if you also included the model name in your post.

Sorry!! :D

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,460
    Shib said:

I think CCC was talking more specifically to UK market as we recently had a lot of major sellers with all the hobbit/LOTR sets at half price, bit of a flood to the market.

Yes, exactly. They were 50% off for an extended period from many retailers. They aren't going anywhere fast.

• DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    ^ Barrel Escape is recovering well.

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    Good, got a couple of those.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,460
    ^ I think that is is a bit of an exception, seeing as it is exclusive to TRU. And wasn't one of the two being asked about. But even so, time will tell if it sells for more than RRP. I cannot see the LOTR pirate ship doing very well though. Not that great a model, not iconic, and duplicates of most of the important figures in other sets (except the Dead Men).

Thinking about it, it is probably best to whip out the minifigs. Sell them off to recoup purchase costs of the whole set, and probably a little profit too, and keep the bricks. Only favourable if you are a builder rather than a reseller though.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    Might end up doing that with mine, got a couple of those too.

What about #79111 constitution train set?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,613
    Dad said:

IF you got them on sale for 50% off, otherwise they are going for around retail and under.
    CCC said:

Shib said:

I think CCC was talking more specifically to UK market as we recently had a lot of major sellers with all the hobbit/LOTR sets at half price, bit of a flood to the market.

Yes, exactly. They were 50% off for an extended period from many retailers. They aren't going anywhere fast.

Didn't think we were talking about the two anymore. Still don't.

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294
    Dad said:

I found barrel escape wasn't as readily available in the 50% off deals so not surprising.
    ^ It's a TRU as exclusive as you will know. I found that after all the pirate ships were gone the Barrel Escapes were still there in quantity. We must have been going to different TRU's.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Yeah, my tru had hundreds of barrel escapes. I picked up 20.

..and this is why I do not see them doing gangbusters. Many people bought many of them on sale, as TRU also had them on sale on their eBay site which many people bought from as well. They will likely be hovering around 40-50 for some time. Now I should l keep in mind many bought them to also break them up for parts (including myself) so they could go higher faster, but I think the odds are against it.
    We are also assuming that TRU does not have to do that again this holiday season as well.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

..and this is why I do not see them doing gangbusters. Many people bought many of them on sale, as TRU also had them on sale on their eBay site which many people bought from as well. They will likely be hovering around 40-50 for some time. Now I should l keep in mind many bought them to also break them up for parts (including myself) so they could go higher faster, but I think the odds are against it.
    We are also assuming that TRU does not have to do that again this holiday season as well.
    Yep. I returned the few I ordered when that initial great sale turned into a dragged out discount that everyone got a piece of.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited May 2014
    Whoa! I just noticed how high some of the Creator themed sets have risen in price over the years; specifically, the houses such as #6754 (Family Home), #4996 (Beach House), #4956 (House), and #5770 (Lighthouse). I bought these originally to pass on as gifts for my daughter (except for the Lighthouse), but she's kind of moved on. Are there a lot of collectors for these types of sets (houses) out there?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294
    ^I get the impression that a lot of people who are into modulars like these sorts of sets to add more houses to their towns while waiting for the next modular building to be released.
    FollowsCloselyplantman
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448

Whoa! I just noticed how high some of the Creator themed sets have risen in price over the years; specifically, the houses such as #6754 (Family Home), #4996 (Beach House), #4956 (House), and #5770 (Lighthouse). I bought these originally to pass on as gifts for my daughter (except for the Lighthouse), but she's kind of moved on. Are there a lot of collectors for these types of sets (houses) out there?

My experience is that the houses are very popular. And, unlike certain sets they can be found on sale. :-)
    TXLegoguy
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I collect all of the creator houses. They are better than the average lego set and they release one every year so what is not to like? They don't have as big an audience as the modulars but nothing does lol.
    FollowsCloselydougtsPitfall69piratemania7plantmanTXLegoguy
    10221 back in stock at Amazon.
    MathBuilder
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475

I collect all of the creator houses. They are better than the average lego set and they release one every year so what is not to like? They don't have as big an audience as the modulars but nothing does lol.

They don't have any flick fire missiles. Everyone knows that a LEGO set is inferior if it doesn't have flick fire missiles.

MathBuilder
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,891
    The closest thing to a house with flickfire missles...
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    ^^LOL

^And that is the main reason for its current going price. :P
    FollowsClosely

10221 back in stock at Amazon.

#10221 = SSD
    As soon as I saw your post, I went to amazon home page. First thing I see in my "Get Yourself a Little Something" section is the SSD. Amazon is getting better at reading my mind. Just to clarify, did not purchase anything.

I do wonder if this is the last round at amazon, [email protected], (target???), or if the set will be alive for a while more.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,649
    I believe the next Creator house will have flick missile. The set name is the "Mother In Law House" :)
    DadmathewBumblepantsMathBuilderDougoutTheLoneTensorCoraHarrison
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,960
    What our the collective thoughts about how long we think R2-D2 will remain? I have a 7 year old becoming very interested in this set. With the lack of discounts, though, I do not want to buy until we have double points again, which I assume would not hit until the fall.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,904
    I haven't built the R2-D2 set yet, but I do have one. I won't be shocked if it sticks around for several years just because it is iconic and is a cool looking set to boot. Too bad there aren't discounts though. I picked one up from TRU for something like $120-$130ish a year ago or so.
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 235
    If anyone wants a family home for £75 inc P&P then let me know. That's not much above cost so they're not going up in price that much!
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    R2 will be in the new Star Wars films so I fully expect him to stick around for a couple of more years. I could be wrong. If he retires this year then look for him to skyrocket in value when the new movie is released.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,960
    Thanks. That hopefully gives me a bit of time then to at least get the quasi discount through bonus points. Yes, I passed on him that year at that price. I bought PetShop and TownHall instead. Then I decided I would buy him the following year when Walmart did their big October sale again. I was not pleased when I found out about the change in policy on those sets last year.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    so in four years' time, would you rather have 8 R2's to sell or 4 SSD's? I can see someone having R2 on their desk for display, but the SSD is a little too big
    I'd have both the R2's and the SSDs :)
    FollowsClosely
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    you must have a very big desk
    minicoopers11
    ^ I think he rather has a big closet!
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Any views on whether its worth tucking a few #21106 Minecraft the nether away?
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    Anyone ever have any luck price matching lego shop sales (like their 50% off clearance prices) with a place like TRU? I've found three of a discontinued item locally, and I'm wondering what sort of luck I might have...
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    I can't find the thread about the LEGO policy change on discounts on exclusives, so I'll just mention this here: I've noticed that B&M stores are still offering discounts of sorts on beat up boxes. But instead of a percentage discount, they are offering bonus VIP points. Saw one store offering 500 bonus VIP points for a beat up Tower of Orthanc. That's on top of the 250 you get with the set. So effectively it is 10% "back" on top of VIP. Not overwhelming and not much use to a reseller because of the box condition, but if you were looking to buy and build the set anyway it would be a nice discount. Almost tempted me.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    @luckie_reubs‌

It's hit-or-miss, depending on whether the associate that rings you up actually cares if the item is in stock. They're obviously not supposed to, but sometimes they don't care/notice. Through TRU I've been able to buy a pair of #9396 for $60/each, and #8110 for $100.
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    ecto-1 pre-order up
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited June 2014
    Finally grabbed a #10211 Grand Emporium. It's my least favorite of the Modulars by far. I actually don't like it, but I wanted to make sure my collection was complete and waiting on that one was making me nervous.

Speaking of though - do you you all expect GE to have the same type of immediate after market bump as the Fire Brigade if it retires at the end of this year or beginning of next?

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited June 2014
    I'm wondering if the new Cargo Train #60052 is worth $200? I like the looks of it and the overall set in general, but the price seems steep for only about 900 pieces (I realize all pieces aren't the same). My stumbling block is in comparing it to the Maersk train #10219, which was actually nicer for about $80 less (the Maersk train could occasionally be had for less than $100 on Amazon). These Cargo trains seem to stick around for awhile, so perhaps it's a set that can wait. Decisions...decisions...
    edited June 2014
    CircleK said:

Speaking of though - do you you all expect GE to have the same type of immediate after market bump as the Fire Brigade if it retires at the end of this year or beginning of next?

Modulars, and particularly corner and expandable modulars, are always an iffy prospect lol.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^^Are the new trains exclusives? If not, I would wait for them to be discounted, they do look better than the older ones though.
    ^It doesn't appear to be an exclusive, so TRU, etal will likely have sales at some point. Comparing the engines on the old Maersk train and the new Cargo train, I think the Maersk looks better. The main difference is that the Maersk train engine appears to be longer and more to scale than the Cargo train engine. I do like the wire spools and color scheme on the new Cargo train. To your point though, I will likely wait for a sale...
    edited June 2014
    Trains are like City, not exclusives. I would imagine many people are going to wait for Cargo trains to be about 150 on sale somewhere, because to me that is all the Cargo train is worth.
    The LEGO store by me has all the new sets out today(including Ghostbusters set). So they have the trains, train station, Agent sets, etc out for sale.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    $200 for a train set sounds expensive, but it does come with track and Power Functions. I added PF to my Horizon Express and it was expensive. I got the rechargeable battery pack and that was quite a bit more than what comes with the new Trains.

I would definitely wait for a sale. This set will likely be out for awhile. I waited on the older Cargo Train and got a pretty decent deal on it over the holidays :)

As far as the GE is concerned; I don't think you can really compare it with the Fire Brigade. Fire Stations are very popular. I would even hazard a guess that TLG made more FB's than GE's, but I don't have production numbers of course :)
    FollowsClosely
  • AsterickedAstericked Member Posts: 36
    Just a slight prediction here, but I think maybe the Volkswagen Camper is going away soon.

I went to the LEGO store yesterday and had asked if they had any in the back, because there was no spot on the shelves for it. The clerk told me that LEGO hasn't sent them a batch in quite sometime. So I looked on Target.com, and they've been Sold Out as well.

With the rumors of the Mini Cooper coming out soon, you guys think the VW Camper is going away soon?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ certainly possible. It's been out since mid-2011, so three years already.