Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Vortex said:

@LegoFanTexas ... Might be that the God of Lego strike me with lightning for asking for this , but please a full review of this MB Titan please. : )

Roger, roger... assuming of course the admins allow it. :)

I do plan to build this, I only bought one of them, figure it is a cool looking model that my son will have lots of fun with.

I think I'll also take some pictures of the parts physically attached to actual LEGO and see what they look like together, see what the fit and finish looks like if I stick a few real LEGO into the model.

Hopefully it is better than it was, if LEGO has some real competition then perhaps their prices and policies will become more customer friendly.
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    ^ Coolbeans , Thanks!
    Well like you said ... "Brickset or Legoset ?"
    edited December 2013
    ^ my sources tell me he's out Christmas shopping. And the mice willll play wuhaha ;)
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    edited December 2013
    ^^ This exactly, I thought I'd logged onto a clone brand forum at first when I opened this thread this morning, then I realised and thought 'oh no, what has this thread become'... ;-)
    Btw a solitary Helms Deep showing in stock on Amazon by Amazon.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Just to join in with the Halo Mammoth discussion, I have to say, the Call of Duty sets have really caught my eye as well.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Vortex said:

^ my sources tell me he's out Christmas shopping. And the mice willll play wuhaha ;)

My sources tell me he is busy building the mammoth and getting ready to load it up with droids and jawas :)

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Vortex said:

^ Coolbeans , Thanks!
    Well like you said ... "Brickset or Legoset ?"

They can't legally call it Legoset, of course...
    Well I would have assumed they can't call it "Lego-set" but Legoset is just another word altogether strictly legal talk ,don't you think ?
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    A couple of years ago I snagged (I think it was on Amazon) a Hasbro Millennium Falcon set and just set it aside for a year. The set was huge. I think I got it for $90 with free shipping (which was insane considering the size of it) and sold it for $200.

And, it is too bad that LEGO doesn't do army sets. Oh well...
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    This has become the outlaw thread. I started a joke and was spanked on my unworthy tushie.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    edited December 2013
    You can have 4000 pieces in a set. If it is crap then it is 4000 pieces of crap.
    I have run across Megablocks over the years, and each time they never compare to LEGO at all. Fit and finish or quality. Looks and fits cheap because it is.
    If you are going to give it a benefit of a doubt then also review it after kids have been playing with it for months and see how the pieces still fit, and if the pieces get brittle and break apart as well.
    To be fair, there have been instances of this with LEGO at times (as people have noted here in the past) but I think overall MB is still light years away from LEGO in terms of quality, and the price points show it.. Halo or not.
    Now if you want LEGO sets to get cheaper than MB has to up their game with quality to make LEGO have to drop their prices.
    BUT if MB is just making their money selling (IMO) cheap crap that LEGO cannot or will not sell due to content (such as 'Army') then they will be content with that and not up their quality.

Ill say this, I know this is the 'kitchen sink' thread but open another thread to talk about the possible awesomeness of MB if this is to go on further PLEASE.

Now can we please get back to stuff that actually is worth talking about?

For example, what does anyone know about the post Christmas LEGO sale? Will anything be of note?
    DadmargotBanditLegobutterflyAmbroise
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

For example, what does anyone know about the post Christmas LEGO sale? Will anything be of note?

Rumors on UK [email protected] post-Xmas posted here:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/246862/#Comment_246862

May be similar for U.S.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I'm guessing 50% off on Series 11 figs as well. Didn't that happen last year for Series 8?

You can have 4000 pieces in a set. If it is crap then it is 4000 pieces of crap.
    I have run across Megablocks over the years, and each time they never compare to LEGO at all. Fit and finish or quality. Looks and fits cheap because it is.
    If you are going to give it a benefit of a doubt then also review it after kids have been playing with it for months and see how the pieces still fit, and if the pieces get brittle and break apart as well.
    To be fair, there have been instances of this with LEGO at times (as people have noted here in the past) but I think overall MB is still light years away from LEGO in terms of quality, and the price points show it.. Halo or not.
    Now if you want LEGO sets to get cheaper than MB has to up their game with quality to make LEGO have to drop their prices.
    BUT if MB is just making their money selling (IMO) cheap crap that LEGO cannot or will not sell due to content (such as 'Army') then they will be content with that and not up their quality.

Ill say this, I know this is the 'kitchen sink' thread but open another thread to talk about the possible awesomeness of MB if this is to go on further PLEASE.

Now can we please get back to stuff that actually is worth talking about?

I agree with a lot of this. The only thing I disagree with is that MB might actually turn the corner one of these days and meet or possibly surpass Lego. Heresy yes, but it's not impossible. I haven't seriously analyzed MB in years, not even getting a little set as a tester. I know they have been crap in the past. But, like I said, these Halo and COD sets these days, they really caught my afol eye. I haven't thought enough to actually consider getting one yet, but it's interesting to see that others around here have. Maybe it's time to take a temperature again.

In the end, I greatly want MB to up it's game. Because if they do, then Lego will be forced to up its game, and maybe not do questionable things like the no-discount exclusive move. It's like Apple and Samsung. I want both to succeed, because when there's healthy competition, and the market leader has good competition nipping at its heels, it's the consumer that wins in the end, both via innovation and price.
    jasor
    sidersdd said:

Rumors on UK [email protected] post-Xmas posted here:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/246862/#Comment_246862

May be similar for U.S.
    Thanks @sidersdd, I'm in the US but you it will likely be very similar if not identical to the UK.
    Wow, what a pile and I mean that negatively...
    I mean I wish LEGO would just pick at least 1-2 'good' sets to drop to 30-50% for this end year clearance.
    I know that is subj, ctive but jees, make the Opera House like 275 or something DS for 360. I'll take a 99 dollar set going for 25% off.. Just make it worth it to take time out of my day to check the site ...
    The #79110 Silver Mine shootout is probably the only worthwhile set out of the bunch That I see wanting at 30% off.
    Personally, I don't have an issue with a bit of discussion of MB within the context of LEGO. I think it fits. It's a similar product and LEGO competitor. And, has had been stated if MB picks up their game and competes more with LEGO it would affect LEGO selling and reselling. Also, it will be good to hear a report on what the Halo or COD MB sets are like. It's simply wise to keep an eye on the competition.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Now I know how the anti-resellers feel when reselling is brought up in other threads...
    edited December 2013
    I picked up my orders of the MB Mammoth. The packaging is awesome and the box is huge. I have no time to build these so hopefully LFT can give an actual review of the bricks. These will be an easy $300 next xmas on $97 invested each.....reminds me of how the lego secondary market used to be. Gotta love the very short product cycles. This particular set is made in Canada. No Chinese pieces.

On a side note my TRU had around 60 Funhouses on the shelves yet they are not available for store pickup. Crazy.

^ Good pick. Currently $200 on Amazon. Mostly likely only one way to go from $97. That be... up! :-)
    edited December 2013
    Bandit said:

Now I know how the anti-resellers feel when reselling is brought up in other threads...

Right, it certainly is easier to just hate and ostracize, of that there is no doubt. But, no harm is done meandering along some minor tangents that compliment the existing discussion.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 999
    Dad said:
    My guess is some old stock was located. Soon one guy will swoop it all up.
    Yeah, To paraphrase the great Han Solo: "marching into a Walmart on the Sunday night before Christmas is not what I had in mind."

• murroughmurrough Member Posts: 59
    @doriansdad how were you able to pick these up for $97? I only see that they are 20% if you get two, did I miss something?
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited December 2013
    ^They were $130 each, and there was a BOGO40. That expired last night, apparently.
    Yep they were on sale yesterday for $130 plus B1G1 40% off. Affiliate/credit card cashback 7%.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited December 2013
    Gotta admit...I built #79111 this weekend and think it should do better than I originally thought now that it's EOL'd. I may end up doing a mod on this one. There are a couple creative techniques that I haven't seen yet in this set...one being the Gatling gun. But then again, Lego trains usually do pretty well anyway.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    ^But themed Lego trains are still maybe a little questionable I'd say. The TS train is a bad example to start with. I think Constitution will do just fine ... if you got for $60 (available for nearly a month on Amazon at that price).
    ^ I feel this thing will do fine if you bought it at $100. It's a cool, non-kiddie western steam train, which makes it quite unique in the Lego world.
    edited December 2013

Gotta admit...I built #79111 this weekend and think it should do better than I originally thought now that it's EOL'd. I may end up doing a mod on this one. There are a couple creative techniques that I haven't seen yet in this set...one being the Gatling gun. But then again, Lego trains usually do pretty well anyway.

The Gatling gun is pretty cool; there was a similar one on #5984 Lunar Limo. I'm also interested to see how this will do for future reference. Only as a spectator, though, since I bought none.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Ok, so who was making a fast profit off Ewok Village for this Xmas? A few sold at $500 recently. For a $250 set, that tells me a lot, including the amount of desperate parents out there who wait until the last minute. Wow.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ I stumbled onto a similar situation by accident last year and flipped a few current sets like that

Honestly though I personally don't feel good about making money off people that way. I know there is plenty of money to be made in stocking up on hit Christmas items and selling them once retailer supply runs out - and on tons of items beyond LEGO as well - but I made a personal decision not to engage in this type of activity.
    margotEKSamBrickDancerSirKevbagsy2joshcharlatan13jasor
    edited December 2013
    Is there really much difference in charging someone 2X or 3X MSRP for a retired set versus a current set that happens to be out of stock temporarily? The customer is paying a premium either way. While this may or may not be apropos, sometimes you may have to tell your kids no for one reason or another. Over-paying for Lego might be one reason.
    Personally I do see a difference, but I'm not judging anyone else I can make convincing arguments both directions but in the end I just didn't like the way it made me feel, so I went with that
    nkx1FatMattFollowsClosely
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yep, it is a personal decision. I've done it, but it isn't my primary business.

I sold two Ewok Villages this year, the first was bought launch day, I had it in the closet and I will still build one, but heck, for the price they are going for now, I can buy another one next month.

The second? I bought it back on triple VIP weekend, between that, the Christmas set, etc. I figured it was one of the few chances to get an extra, so I bought one more.

So I do it when the chance opens up, but I don't plan for it.
    dougts
    edited December 2013
    ^ yeah. At the risk if appearing to be self-contradictory, this is different in my eyes. Somewhat it's about intent, and somewhat it's about scale. Heck I have my personal copy of EV still unopened. I would have sold it too had I noticed the price earlier.

But that's a far cry from intentionally buying up dozens and dozens of those items which will likely be hit Christmas toys with the sole intent of making bank off desperate parents who didn't know they had to buy three weeks ahead of time to get what the kid wanted

A set like EV is the type of gift that for most families is ONLY ever going to be given as Christmas gifts. Too much for birthday or anything else. I can see tons of kids having had this as number one on their Christmas list for months. It's easy to say "silly parents should just learn how to say no". And normally I would agree. But when it comes to a once a year opportunity to fulfill the number one item on the wish list for months, it's a bit different story
    edited December 2013
    ^I agree with much of what you said, but a parent just doesn't have to say no unequivocally. The parent can explain to the kid the financial aspect of the situation, and maybe state that s/he will buy the set for the kid at a later date due to financial constraints. It might not be ideal, but neither was waiting until the last minute to purchase such an important gift.

Although I realize people here love their Lego (as do I), Lego is just stuff. There are much more important things in life, and hopefully a properly-raised kid will understand and appreciate this, even if the kid doesn't receive that perfect set on schedule.
    VaderXprevere
    edited December 2013
    Yeah that's a conversation parents just can't wait to have on Christmas morning when their kid is trying to hide their disappointment because Santa didn't bring them the only thing on their list they really wanted

While I personally wouldn't pay double RRP for that item - and hope I never have to make they choice - I can easily see why people do
    charlatan13
    Well, I certainly wouldn't wait until Christmas morning to discuss it; that would be sort of cruel!
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    For those kids that still believe in Santa, they won't understand the financial reasons to make them wait until they're available again at RRP.

There will always be "opportunities" for people to buy up limited stock and sell it at above RRP in time for Christmas and there will always be people willing to pay more than RRP for little Timmy to get what he wants this Christmas that will supply the demand for them to do so.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    That's a touching story and this is coming from someone who doesn't ever want children.
    ^^ Good man "Dad" !
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    Regarding Ewok Village and waiting until the last minute - children sometimes surprise you. My son remarked that he really wanted the Ewok Village about three days after the triple VIP sale (turns out that he is fascinated with set). So I hop online and it's already sold out. I don't think I waited until the last minute - I was just caught off guard. No, he's not getting it for Christmas (he'll be fine) but don't underestimate the desperate parent who hears 'I'm sure that Santa will get me one'. If a parent believes that they can keep that faith in Santa going - it's sometimes worth the price to overpay.
    dougts
  • ShouldavilleShouldaville Member Posts: 51
    Two days before Christmas and my Walmart has a nice restock of Millennium Falcons and Batcaves...the gifts that keep on giving.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Good news for Little Timmy's everywhere!
    RomanticWarrior
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 914
    People might dislike resellers but they all have hearts at the end of the day, that's a great story. Good man for that!
    However...
    Did you find him a £5 off voucher :)
  • ShouldavilleShouldaville Member Posts: 51
    Last week I saw four of "The Nether" on a LEGO store shelf. I went to TRU shortly after, and an elderly lady looked crushed as the LEGO rep said Minecraft was sold out everywhere and being marked up online. She was ecstatic when I told her I just saw them in stock minutes ago...the cranky grandpa with her gave me a dirty look, and then he looked crushed knowing he had to go in the mall.
    FollowsClosely