Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

OK this is what I have heard regarding the no disocunt list and it goes beyond the memo. Items on that list are not allowed to be sold for less than RRP by any authorised retailer in the USA. If a set goes EOL on that list then retailers including LBR with stock may return those sets or continue to sell them for at least RRP. Those returned sets will then either be offered to a retailer as an exclusive or liquidated through other channels (or even destroyed). It is up to you if you believe it or not. Good luck!

Thank you. This is very interesting information that I have not previously seen nor heard, and it answers many of the remaining unknowns about the exclusive policy changes.

Didn't I read around here that one iof the older exclusives was recently being advertised as a retailer exclusives? Maybe 10211?
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    ^I think another post on here said it was a TRU exclusive.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

Just further evidence that prices can fall...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001USHRCK

MMV, a set that seemed like a "sure thing" just a year ago...

Ugh, I thought about buying this set so many times in the past, like it a lot but I was never "I must have it!". Now I am back waffling over it.

• juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Chang405 said:

^^How can they slap a "retiring soon" label on it and sell it for a few more years.

They can do whatever they want. Friends' Olivia's Speedboat was "retiring soon" for about 13 months.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,803
    Chang405 said:

^^How can they slap a "retiring soon" label on it and sell it for a few more years.

Could they? Sure but then it would probably confuse people. I think it really depends on how much they have in stock. I think the retiring soon implies they are done actually manufacturing the set, and whatever stock they have is what is still available. But it is LEGO so my guess is as good as any others :)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    I think I've been throwing the "retiring" word around my house too much. My 8-year-old daughter puts her buddies in a panic over Friends sets /American Girl Dolls, that when they retire, "they go away forever."
    MathBuilder
    edited December 2013
    All I know is we are living in a bizarro world. where TRU seems to have better offers and stuff on sale than Amazon at this point. Kinda freaking me out. TRU I think also will have the Town Square on sale for 99 dollars. not as good as the BF door buster, but not bad either.
    FollowsClosely
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

All I know is we are living in a bizarro world. where TRU seems to have better offers and stuff on sale than Amazon at this point. Kinda freaking me out. TRU I think also will have the Town Square on sale for 99 dollars. not as good as the BF door buster, but not bad either.

Town Square is $95 with the $25 off $100 offer...

As for your general point, yes... in the past two weeks I've placed far more orders with TRU than with Amazon...
    FollowsCloselygmpirate
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited December 2013

As for your general point, yes... in the past two weeks I've placed far more orders with TRU than with Amazon...

That's probably because Amazon has been sold out of everything for the past few weeks. And it's not just Lego. Kind of strange. Perhaps Amazon wasn't expecting sales to be very good and they heavily discounted things too early in the shopping season.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633

Town Square is $95 with the $25 off $100 offer...

I am waiting for Saturday for an extra 10% off with TRU credit card. ;)

mathew said:
    Yes, and I believe that they sold a ton of them, but I don't think they sold that many. It is possible they have the inventory for some items like this rigged to hide the true qty.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited December 2013
    ^I wonder if it's possible Doriansdad's explanation of exclusive set pricing guidelines applies here? Maybe Amazon tired of trying to sell these at full price and sent them back to Lego...

To take this a step further, I'm starting to wonder if Lego's strategy is to eventually be the sole retailer exclusive sets. Or maybe have only a single retail partner for exclusives, similar to Technic only being sold at TRU and Lego brand stores (at least in the US).

...Items on that list are not allowed to be sold for less than RRP by any authorised retailer in the USA. If a set goes EOL on that list then retailers including LBR with stock may return those sets or continue to sell them for at least RRP. Those returned sets will then either be offered to a retailer as an exclusive or liquidated through other channels (or even destroyed). It is up to you if you believe it or not...

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    My feeling is Lego's new stipulations are not a good fit for Amazon. Their model requires price adjustments to constantly move stock but Lego has said no to price adjustments on the exclusives. It would not suprise me if Amazon stops selling lego - either just the exclusives or the entire range.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ doubt it. Amazon sells other "exclusive" type products that are never discounted. Weber grills come to mind. I know there are others.
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 148
    I dunno. I moved quite a bit of Death Stars this year. Amazing how many parents have no problem dropping $400 on a lego set.
    LegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
    ^ The question is if they will quit carrying the Exclusive sets. My guess is that unless Lego changes its stance on discounting then Amazon will slowly faze them out completely. But for all other Lego sets, they will aways be carried in some capacity by Amazon. Like I said, I think Amazon discounted things a bit too heavily too early this season and sold out too fast. Looks like they will be replenished shortly after Christmas.
    jcb193 said:

I dunno. I moved quite a bit of Death Stars this year. Amazing how many parents have no problem dropping $400 on a lego set.

I keep saying that, but no one ever seems to believe me...
    FollowsCloselyBTHodgeman
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 148
    edited December 2013

jcb193 said:

That said, I've decided to dump most of them, because I don't have the patience to wait it out, my overseas buyers seem to have dried up (increased shipping costs??), and I feel like a refresh on this set will be far more impressive.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,964

jcb193 said:

I believe it. In the brief time I was at the Lego store this week I watched one person but the Sydney Opera House, and another buy EV3. It really is astonishing for me to see such big Lego sets move that quickly.

^ well, this time of year isn't the best barometer. Those kind of sets seem to sell a lot more for Christmas gifts than they do throughout the normal course of the year.

This is based on my anecdotal observations over hour upon hours spent in-store over the past few years at all times of the year/month/week/day
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    How many do u have?
    cloaked7 said:

Along the same lines as MMV is Luke's Landspeeder for me. I picked it early to do well after it EOL'd. But, then it was still current and still current. Then, WM blew out the remaining sets for 50% off, I think. I'm selling a few at pretty much break even, just to get rid of them. Maybe they'll do better next year. At this rate I'll still have them then. :-)

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Too many! :-) Course, I sold 2 today. Who'd a thunk?
  • flyingpigflyingpig Member Posts: 119
    batcave showed up from amazon. very odd. arrived well before the gund bears did too. and shipped all the way to hawaii. maybe they are increasing prices to pay for rush shipping for everything? who knows
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    It's unlikely that Amazon would stop selling exclusives, even if they couldn't discount them. There's a variety of things they rarely discount, consoles being one of them (aside from one-day sales to match other retailers) but part of their strategy is making it so you don't shop at other retailers.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ True, but Amazon is all about turning inventory too. They may continue to carry exclusives, but I don't see them ordering as many as in the past if they can't discount them. Course, maybe that's what LEGO wants.
    US [email protected] is sold out of TLR Colby City, silver mine and Constitution train chase.
    FollowsCloselybri4jenn
    cloaked7 said:

^ True, but Amazon is all about turning inventory too. They may continue to carry exclusives, but I don't see them ordering as many as in the past if they can't discount them. Course, maybe that's what LEGO wants.

this is the most likely scenario. They just won't keep as many on hand.

Officially in the mega bloks resale business.......#97174....should be interesting :)
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    to the dark side, gone you have
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    how much did you sell your conscience for?
    I have to admit they did an excellent job on their signature Halo sets. Never thought I would buy Mega Bloks but here I am (after 46% off of course lol).
    It is out of stock at toysrus.com, is that set gone now, or just out of stock for the moment?

I have to admit, it does look pretty nice, would be nice to know if the parts still suck or not. I tried a generic box of Mega Blok parts two years ago and both my wife and I agreed the parts were no substitute for LEGO, we returned them.
    That 97174 really is an impressive set. I was actually thinking of buying it a month or so ago even though I know nothing about Halo. It disappeared fast!

It would be awesome if Lego produced brick-built vehicles that large (as opposed to Technic). At least it would be cool to see some more Model Team sets like #5571 Giant Truck from 1996.
    I believe it is sold out for good but I am not 100% sure as this is my first venture into this market. You may still be able to select instore pickup. Ebates is offering 6% cashback as well. Now I have to find a cheap Forward Dawn. I will be getting the Gausshog to build and it will be interesting to compare to lego.
    ^Scratch that, I have one waiting for pickup! Trying to get 2 more, but we'll see. Man, that was close, so glad I read your post doriansdad! Looks like I bought the last stock of the one TRU within 50 miles that had any.
    You definitely want to order 2 as the second one will get the extra 40% off.
    nkx1
    edited December 2013
    My guess is that it's gone. It's not available from any major retailer based on a cursory Google search, whereas I believe I previously saw it for sale online a few other places other than TRU.

Regarding the part quality, from other sets I've built, I've noticed the parts made in China are pretty crappy, while the parts made in Canada are quite good.
    Well it is a TRU exclusive so that is why it is not anywhere else. I've got a message out to my Mega Bloks guru and Ill post any info regarding retirement on this one.
    ^Ah, I must have been mistaken. Maybe I saw it on Amazon 3rd party or something.
  • TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    There were literally 30 in my store. That kind of turned me off of it, but I just can't make up my mind.
    edited December 2013
    Upon further evaluation, I sort of doubt it's going anywhere soon. It looks like it just came out in October.

Source of Information
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    One thing is to take this thread off topic... and another thing is to commit heresy!!!
    Enough with all this MegaC..p talk!
    DougoutBanditSirKevbagsFollowsCloselymargotChompersdougtsBTHodgeman
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,506
    I think I need a shower now. Also, there is such a thing as a MB Guru? How sad for him/her.
    BanditDougoutSirKevbags
    Hey now, I just ordered one of those MB Halo sets... 2,000+ parts, cool design, something we'll never see from LEGO...

Anyone want me to write a review of it after putting it together? :)

After all, this is BrickSet, not LEGOSet... :)
    A review would be really cool. Glad to see they are upping their game.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    ^^ a "will it blend" review is most welcomed.
    givmellispharmjod
  • RichBRichB Member Posts: 52
    I must admit, the Mega Bloks 97174 set is really cool looking! While we're on the topic of sets other than Lego, I happened to notice these new sets the other day:

http://www.brickshow.tv/news-detail.asp?source=128

Pretty cool in my opinion, just wish Lego had gotten the license to produce WWE minifigs/sets and not this other new brand. Lego could have really capitalized (at least here in the states) as the WWE market only seems to be getting bigger and bigger with time. Opinions?
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    @LegoFanTexas ... Might be that the God of Lego strike me with lightning for asking for this , but please a full review of this MB Titan please. : )
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    The other one I'm really curious about is the 97117 - Forward Unto Dawn...2900 pieces ! Anyone with anything this ? --- double lightning strikes :p