Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2013
    I could buy my kids 1000s of dollars of Lego and it wouldn't spoil him, because he doesn't like to build Lego. :-) He's spoiled because I don't make him do as many chores as he should.
    I don't think the dollar value of a gift means much. When my son really wants something I usually make him do extra work for it. He brought the trash cans and recycling bins in for months in order to get Skylanders swap force when it came out. I just don't really get the money issue of a gift. I think spoiling is more buying kids whatever they want the second they demand it, think Veruca Salt..
    gmpiratewagnerml2LegoFanTexasUKtsumi
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I don't disagree with you. You know your kids best and I have no doubt you firmly believe your own kids would be spoiled if you where to buy them a DS. But to come out and say all kids would be spoiled is a bit harsh.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    flyingpig said:

Studio will hit 400 later this month and is selling like hotcakes per sales rank. Food for thought.

The funny thing about Architecture Studio is that it's a white "Fun with Bricks" set. That's it. Nothing rare. Anyone paying $400 for it, is getting basic white parts for 33.3 cents each.

• chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 169
    General statement: If you think the DS is too big of a gift for your OWN kid, don't buy it. If you want to give the DS to your OWN kid, buy it. Stay out of other people's business. Concentrate on your own life, always trying to improve yourself and learn from past mistakes.
    margotstarwarfan77LegoFanTexastiminchicagoCanuck26
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited December 2013
    prevere said:

flyingpig said:

Studio will hit 400 later this month and is selling like hotcakes per sales rank. Food for thought.

The funny thing about Architecture Studio is that it's a white "Fun with Bricks" set. That's it. Nothing rare. Anyone paying $400 for it, is getting basic white parts for 33.3 cents each.

You do get nice packaging and a pretty cool book. There's also something cathartic about working with pure white bricks. From a price standpoint, you're absolutely right. From an aesthetic view though, it's a beautiful and unique set.
    LegoFanTexas
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ I think that's just it. It's a pretty set that appeals to the "gift givers", not necessarily the Lego enthusiast. Great marketing by Lego.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    prevere said:

flyingpig said:

That's true. I picked up the set right after it came out. I built a few neat little buildings at first, but it has since then sat on the shelf. Overall I appreciate the set for what it is. But when you get past the fancy packaging it's really nothing more than a brick pack. The book itself is nice but doesn't utilize the bricks enough. It's more of a basics on modern architecture.

CCC said:

chrisdojo said:

General statement: If you think the DS is too big of a gift for your OWN kid, don't buy it.

Or just be honest and let the kids know it is really for Dad, but to get it past Mum he has to lie. :-) They can look but not touch if they keep quiet. And maybe have a spare R2.
    That's the thing. It would be more for me and less for them. I'd be overlly concerned with them destroying it. I'm not even sure I'd trust them if they were older.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    My son plays with our DS nearly every day. I took the trans yellow lasers off because they got in the way, but the thing is surprisingly sturdy.
    FollowsClosely
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    It's also come down to one line of thinking for me too. It's personal for everyone, where your threshold is and what your "over the limit" is. I validate my LEGO spending on the idea that I neither smoke, drink nor do any sort of illicit drugs. I dont really have any other hobby, I dont spend money lavishly on eating out and all in all am a fairly thrifty spender. When I look at it that way, I could go out and buy a DS, because really, I am spending all the money at once that I might otherwise spend on a few good meals out.

It all comes down to how I want to channel and funnel my funds.
    coolpix
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    Shifting topics...

I think the X-Wing UCS 7191 might be on record for one of the big drops in price following a second edition release. I sold one a few years ago for $600 loose. Going price now $150-$200, and at peak Xmas time. A sealed one recently sold for $449.

• LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,003
    I have a lot of sympathy for parents. It can't be easy finding a sensible balance between spoiling your children and ensuring that they have enough to be happy & comfortable. My wife & I have a (rescued) cat and she's totally spoilt, I'm far too soft to have kids!

Anyway, back on topic, any thoughts on #8110? I managed to grab one on Amazon recently at 27% off; my options are to either build it or hold onto it for 12 months and see what happens....
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    @wagnerml2 Could you drop me a pm please. Something I would like to talk to you about and I'm having an unable to start new conversations phase.
    @SirKevBags - will do!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    CCC said:

chrisdojo said:

General statement: If you think the DS is too big of a gift for your OWN kid, don't buy it.

Or just be honest and let the kids know it is really for Dad, but to get it past Mum he has to lie. :-) They can look but not touch if they keep quiet. And maybe have a spare R2.
    I love this, btw. It's true to a degree. When I was growing up, I got a toy on the weekend. Every weekend. Sometimes it was a big one, sometimes it was register fodder. What do I have to show for it? Some really cool Transformer, HeMan, TMNT, and a few Lego sets.

My point is....not enough Lego sets. :D I'm correcting that mistake for my little girl. If that makes her spoiled, at least she's using her imagination about how cool she thinks she is.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,112
    edited December 2013
    Lobot said:

Anyway, back on topic, any thoughts on #8110? I managed to grab one on Amazon recently at 27% off; my options are to either build it or hold onto it for 12 months and see what happens....

I am a bit interested on how you got a Technic set from Amazon.com directly as Technic is a TRU exclusive. I presume you mean you got one from a third party seller on Amazon.com or got it used? Even then it is a nice score for 27% off, that is about the cheapest you are going to see those for in terms of discount I think

IMO I think it will go up once it is finally EOL (which should be occurring soon based on the way things look) only because of the price point, it being a TRU 'exclusive' (all Technic sets are I believe) and TRU stopping most Technic sets from being BOGO50 or part of any deal for the past year now. But since TRU likely still has stocks of Unimogs (and so does LEGO I believe, but on backorder) I think it will take a bit of time. Im guessing it will be around the same growth as the Excavator, which had more stock and was on sale A LOT but is more desirable.

Im debating on getting more Catwoman chase sets. I know everyone will have a ton of them but still I see them rising in price.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    ^ only in the US. Technic can be found at discounts on Amazon.uk, got my #9396 that way
    edited December 2013

^ only in the US. Technic can be found at discounts on Amazon.uk, got my #9396 that way

Ahh, sorry. My presumption causing issues again.
    In any case it seems to be selling out in Europe but the US still has stocks of it at LEGO and TRU. And LEGO US went from sold out to call for availability to being available.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,031
    I got my stash from TRU a year or so back BOGO 50%. I only picked up 6 because it was so early in it's lifespan. I don't think I will get anymore at MSRP.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I'm going to beat the horse. Fascinating discussion for me as a new dad who came from modest means but now does very well and married into a family that also does very well. So I struggle daily with what is "giving children opportunities" versus "spoiling."

As many have noted, context is everything. In the abstract, I don't think anyone can unequivocally say that a $400 LEGO set is "spoiling." Growing up, I fondly recall always asking for one "big" LEGO set every Christmas, and Grandma and Grandpa always delivered. It was a really meaningful gift for me, and it was often the only "big" toy that I got. Sets included at least the Black Seas Barracuda which was I believe a $100 set when it came out. (Also Kings Castle, the Blacktron Base, and some big City sets.) With inflation, those sets are around $200 now. Were my grandparents spoiling me? Sure, but it was a rare once-a-year gift that was coupled with many many many stories from my grandfather about growing up as the child of Italian immigrants during the Depression in Brooklyn, living in the back of the candy store and going to college based solely on a combination of really hard work and luck. THAT was what I have taken away from my grandparents. Grandpa enjoying buying his grandson a toy he really wanted -- and having the means to do so -- was every bit his right to enjoy.

Also, as far as toys and gifts go, LEGO really isn't all that bad. There is an educational component, and I can pretty confidently say that it helped shape my interests and focus to lead me to my current career. (Said grandpa also did the same in a different way.)

It will be a struggle to figure out what balance I want to strike with my daughter. I've already stockpiled quite a few sets for her, but the challenge will be to figure out how and when to give them. Do I wait for holidays/birthdays? Or pull them out on a rainy day from time to time? I'll have to sort that all out, but it is between me, my wife, and my daughter to do so. (I'll probably also have to reconcile/rectify my current impulse buying spending habits, which is a whole 'nother story.)

FollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasCircleKcoolpix
    edited December 2013
    ^ That I don't quite understand. I can get behind giving something not tied to a particular date, but just giving something like that for no reason at all? Doesn't that contradict you own argument on being grateful what you've worked hard to attain? If they didn't have to do anything to attain it, then how can they be truly grateful?

Anyway, I don't want to drum this up more than I already have, which I just did anyway by posting this, but I had to comment on that one.
    Last year during Hurricane Sandy we where without power and getting board after a day of board games and cards. I pull out the Tower Bridge and we have a great three hours of building as a family. Was that "spoiling"? Probably, but they still talk of the fun we had that day.
    Dougout

^ That I don't quite understand. I can get behind giving something not tied to a particular date, but just giving something like that for no reason at all? Doesn't that contradict you own argument on being grateful what you've worked hard to attain? If they didn't have to do anything to attain it, then how can they be truly grateful?

Anyway, I don't want to drum this up more than I already have, which I just did anyway by posting this, but I had to comment on that one.

Do you only call your mom on Mother's Day? I think it's all about the time spent with your children, rather than earmarking landmark holidays for gifts. We do surprise builds, picnics, movies/entertainment frequently and those are definitely the best.
    edited December 2013
    @TheLoneTensor, it's called doing something nice for someone just to be nice. It makes you feel good, it makes them feel good...
    SirKevbagsFollowsCloselyLegobutterflytiminchicagodougtsGothamConstructionCo
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    I don't believe @wagerml2 is referring to giving a DS for no reason I interpreted it to be a kit 'just because' which I have to agree as a parent is a lovely feeling, even just a CMF given just because yields such an awesome smile it is lush.

I would not give our sons a DS just because, but I do sometimes give them kits if they have done well at school, or have been particularly helpful around the home and sometimes even just because it is nice to see the look on their faces when they receive a treat.
    I would consider a DS for a birthday or Christmas gift for them in the future provided we were still comfortably off.

I believe there is a difference between spoiling your child occasionally and a spoiled child, and our children are taught right from wrong, to value what they are given, that the treats they receive are exactly that and not an entitlement.
    They get treats when they are good and they lose toys/privileges for naughty behaviours and have to earn them back with good behaviour and they are already learning if they want an expensive kit and it's not for birthday or Christmas then they have to help out with chores here to earn money to go towards it.

Oh and no is a word often spoken in this house when repeatedly asking can they have.
    I was an only child raised only by my mother and I did not miss out on much, but there were still things in my childhood where I now think I won't do that with our kids or I will make sure they never feel that way etc.
    My kids and husband are being spoiled at Christmas this year for very personal reasons on my part, this is my choice and no-one elses business yet no doubt someone in the playground will have an opinion on it come January. I quite simply do not care.

Our children are taught to love and respect others, to treat others as they would like to be treated and to always be helpful if they can and never intentionally do someone a wrong turn or brag or boast about what they have or may be receiving.

I cannot help but think that we all (humans in general not just on here) get so caught up in what everyone else is doing, what everyone else is getting or giving when really all that should concern us is our family and what we are doing etc.
    I honestly think that unless others actions directly affect us or our children then really it is none of our business and we should all just let each other get on with it.

I am not suggesting we stop caring about others by any means, but I am pretty sure we all have more important things to think about than who is giving their child a DS and for what reason, I know I do.

I really enjoy reading this thread to see which kits people all think will be retiring etc and the banter about FB but if this thread is going to take a turn to judging others parenting etc then to be honest I would rather stop reading it.
    FollowsCloselyrichlmargotprevereLegoFanTexasSuperTramplego007
    ^As a parent, it is very tough to know if I'm doing a good job. Happy to be judged. Always looking for new ideas.
    FollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorjasor
    I agree it is tough being a parent and trying to strike the right balance, but I do think that sometimes there is too much focus on judging others.

And to be fair there are loads of ways to share ideas and tips without judgement and not necessarily in this thread.
    edited December 2013
    I welcome honest feedback from those that know and love me (Proverbs 27:17). However, I would not expect that from this board. I do welcome the tangents :)
    thenos
    ^Totally agree and tangents are always good and often here make for a wild and amusing ride :)
  • abenamouabenamou Member Posts: 12
    Any thoughts on LEGOs response to this year's ultra-deep discounts from the major retailers. Presumably because exclusives couldn't be discounted, but be interesting to see how LEGO reacts (forcing MAP pricing or recalling that decision).
    margot said:

@TheLoneTensor, it's called doing something nice for someone just to be nice. It makes you feel good, it makes them feel good...

Yeah, somehow you equated me questioning giving a child a reward/gift/whatever for zero reason with simply being nice. We weren't talking about movies, or hugs, special picnics or calling mom. I was referring specifically to @wagnerml2 stating that sometimes he gives a Lego set for no reason. That's fine, great, do it. But, it's a bit contradictory when he earlier extolled the virtues of "That was not given to me, I worked extremely hard for it."

So to be clear, I don't squish kittens, nor punch puppies, regardless of what image this cold text medium paints. I do, however, kill spiders, but only if they come in the house. Outside, it's live and let live.
    jasor
    edited December 2013
    Ok, so what thread can we actually discuss LEGO and predictions on discontinuing sets and secondary values again?

I think three pages for an off tangent discussion where you have a stalemate is usually the limit isn't it?

EDIT: Sorry it has only been about two pages, carry on.
    jasor

. I was referring specifically to @wagnerml2 stating that sometimes he gives a Lego set for no reason.

I know, so was I.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited December 2013
    ^^ It's Lego's fault for not discontinuing anything today. And I predict I'm an idiot for selling those Funhouses.
    It's all perspective. We have two young boys who are barely old enough for entry-level City sets. In a few years, if one of them desires a big set ($100-150 range) then we will consider getting them that. I think for something as big as the Death Star; that's a present that will have to be for the two of them. If you know what I mean. Otherwise, you have to get two expensive presents for each one which won't happen unless I find a better paying job or hit the jackpot.

edited December 2013
    ^^That made me tear up.
    CircleK
    How often will Lego post an out of stock with shipment date, and then just cut it loose as sold out quickly after that? I feel like there have been sets I wanted to get, I think the Winter Bakery comes to mind, as initially showing that, then pooh! El gono.
    ^- Im guessing the same thing is going to happen with the Unimog and Log truck, both were sold out on US site, then on back-order, now available. My guess is they will just be gone for good one day.
    LEGO has had stuff on backorder, and then gone, then if you had an order in backorder still you likely missed out.
    Kinda frustrating
    @TheLoneTensor - Wasn't referring to getting a DS for no reason, just trying to point out that sometimes little surprises for no reason make a bigger impact than scheduled dates where gifts are traditionally delivered. I think it fits with my previous post nicely. Its always about making sure your kids feel special while still having perspective.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Seriously everyone??! Let's move on! I won't be able to get the DS now without thinking of the past two or three pages on this thread! Ahhhh hahahahahaha!
    Ha! Mission accomplished!!!
    BTW, anyone still have outstanding orders from BF? I ordered a few WV Cottages, still haven't received them. They still show as in process.
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^ got my last one yesterday
    All mine had the Xmas set in them, but have two that seem to be hung up for some reason.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Ordered on 12/1 and just got notice of shipping on 12/9, expected delivery 12/13