Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    ^Yup. That's the one. I remember being oh so sure that TRU was going to cancel all the orders. But they let it ride. And it was only a week or two into the Super Heroes launch. You could get Star Wars 2011 Advent Calendars for around $5 with the discounts.
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Oh that's right. I think that's when I picked up several road plates and switch track packs. Good times...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    ^---same here. Got a lot of Road Plates with that glitch.

Also [US] Amazon.com now seems to have in its stocks (not 3rd party):
    The Long Ranger sets, all about RRP.
    and the Horizon express at 119
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 226
    Poochy said:

The mods are now classified as "Hard to Find" on the TRU website, and those are excluded from all promotions. The days of BOGO deal for mods are over :(.

Still worked for me when I bought a couple VW Vans from the TRU EBay store a few weeks ago at BOGO 50% off. Deals can still be had...
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    edited April 2013
    TRU Ebay must not be enforcing the rules then since that doesn't work at the main TRU site. I will have to check TRU Ebay going forward. Thanks!
    madforLEGO
    exciter1 said:

Poochy said:

The mods are now classified as "Hard to Find" on the TRU website, and those are excluded from all promotions. The days of BOGO deal for mods are over :(.

Still worked for me when I bought a couple VW Vans from the TRU EBay store a few weeks ago at BOGO 50% off. Deals can still be had...
    Occasionally eBay store can be checked, but the TRU site itself does not normally list 'Hard to find' sets as BOGO anything
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Lego Games haven't generated much interest other than when on 75% off clearance. But now that they have been abruptly cancelled, what will that do to the aftermarket? The Hobbit, Hogwarts and Battle of Hoth are easy to identify. But I think there are some serious Heroica fans - a small but potentially passionate group. Does Heroica value go up? Any other sleepers in the Games line?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622

I wonder what the future holds for Technic. I've now built just over a dozen models, from large to small. I have the Unimog and 4x4 Crawler sitting on the shelf, along with a motorized excavator, but I can't find myself jumping up and down to build them.

Yea, they are indeed cool, but after while they are all sort of the same. Those darn Technic pins are a pain to remove, so I'm unlikely to ever take them apart, and at some point it is just 1-2 thousand small parts, gears, and pins going together to make another vehicle.

Friends was a nice improvement, it was "new", and the minifigs in general are much better in all series than they used to be. What "new" is coming for Technic?

Will LEGO do anything but vehicles for Technic?

regarding the future of Lego technic, i think 42009 will respark a few AFOL's interest in the theme.

Its the first technic set ive laid eyes on where im acutally excited to buy one and build it, it just looks so much more fun than the unimog, and a much better looking model for display purposes.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    That is exactly my point.

42009 is the third crane in five years. Big deal... it is exactly my point, another yellow construction crane, what is new or different about it?

How about a Technic Eiffel Tower? How about a Technic Golden Gate Bridge?

Those would be interesting...
    FollowsClosely
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    Yes, I would love ANY Lego bridge.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

42009 is the third crane in five years. Big deal... it is exactly my point, another yellow construction crane, what is new or different about it?

I agree with you. Technic branded sets tend to be conservative in design. But, there are some hybrid sets out there that make great use of technic parts and building techniques. The best one that springs to mind is the Imperial Shuttle. Over half of that set is Technic. Makes for a sometimes tedious build, but the end result is a satisfying model with some neat engineering built in.
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    My dad made an eiffel tower out of meccano, almost 2 meters high, it looks amazing.. Lego technical version of that would be fantastic, ditto GG.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2013
    As much as I LOVE construction equipment and vehicles, I'd also like to see Technic branch out a bit more like bridges. Though I've always wanted them to branch out into more amusement park rides, especially a roller coaster. Also, a large scale Technic train engine would be very welcome.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    ^Those are all good ideas. When you say to yourself, "I hope they don't do another logging truck", it's time to expand the universe.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,516
    ^^a Technic steam locomotive would be really cool with all the moving parts and what not.
    edited April 2013

The thing with making a technic eiffel tower is : what exactly could be made technical on it?

Technic is all about moving parts pneumatics and motors and gears etc and yes it would certainly make a superb display piece but technic isnt really aimed at being that sort of thing.

Now a steam locomotive DOES sound exciting :)

The thing with making a technic eiffel tower is : what exactly could be made technical on it?

Technic is all about moving parts pneumatics and motors and gears etc and yes it would certainly make a superb display piece but technic isnt really aimed at being that sort of thing.

Doesn't the Eiffel Tower have an elevator...
    prevere said:

Doesn't the Eiffel Tower have an elevator...
    oh yeah, woops i guess i forgot about that :D
    I know they have mind storms, but what about more robots? Anyone remember The Sony Aibo robot dog?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIBO

How about that in Technic?

Maybe add on packs to mind storms?
    Speaking of retired sets, I was at Wally World today and they had 3 Vampire Castles at $69.99. Sadly two were damaged, they had reprinted the shelves and put them back, gluing them to the shelves, when I pulled them off, the bottom of the boxes was ripped off. :(

But I did pickup one, might keep, might not. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I sold all mine last year, so happy to have the one.

Everyone does know that Monster Fighters is retiring this Summer, right? It won't be around for a full year.
    How about one of these in Technic? :)

Honda's Asimo robot. 10 min video showing the new 2012 model doing lots of new things.

I want one!
    Dougout
    edited April 2013

How about one of these in Technic? :)

Honda's Asimo robot. 10 min video showing the new 2012 model doing lots of new things.

I want one!

it goes to show what the world might be like in 30 years time and that A.I and robots isnt as far away as we think it is, makes me think of bicentennial man and I Robot becoming a reality :)

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    In "an idiot abroad" Carl describes the Asimo as walking like had shat itself. The only barrier to an Asimo in every house is the price. The trouble with one of these is if they were commercially sold, you'd be quite peeved spending the kind of money that would buy a car on something that that would be superceded on a regular basis if all the big electronic firms were making them.
    edited April 2013

In "an idiot abroad" Carl describes the Asimo as walking like had shat itself. The only barrier to an Asimo in every house is the price. The trouble with one of these is if they were commercially sold, you'd be quite peeved spending the kind of money that would buy a car on something that that would be superceded on a regular basis if all the big electronic firms were making them.

true, it does walk funny but im sure i read somewhere that the simple task of walking may seem simple to do but the motion behind it is extremely difficult to perfect in a robot

its certainly a remarkable feet in technology and you can't help but admire it
    It takes humans a year or two to get the hang of walking, and even then a few more to get good at it, :)

Asimo is top heavy and has no natural balance outside of gyros, so yea, I suspect walking is harder than it looks.

How many animals on Earth walk on two legs?

The real application for Asimo, before the home, is McDonalds. Once it gets to under $100K a copy and can flip burgers, there comes a point where the capital investment pays off to replace human labor with these.

When that tipping point is reached, we will have to find something new for everyone else to do. :)

Or maybe we don't need Asimo...

http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    tensor said:

As much as I LOVE construction equipment and vehicles, I'd also like to see Technic branch out a bit more like bridges. Though I've always wanted them to branch out into more amusement park rides, especially a roller coaster. Also, a large scale Technic train engine would be very welcome.

I predict we'll see some roller coaster sets surface this summer.
    sidersdd said:

tensor said:

I predict we'll see some roller coaster sets surface this summer.
    A big exclusive rollercoaster set, now THAT would be a set worth waiting for.

Plus if it was a successful release it could become a whole new theme *.*
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    edited April 2013
    It would go perfect with Grand Carousel and could be re-branded as a "Fairground" theme.

Don't get me started on the rollercoaster thing. I've been waiting patiently for the "Grand Brick Coaster Park" theme. Endless possibilities. Just need some newly designed track (and supports) that are a little more flexible in the vertical sense.
    Dougout
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153

Speaking of retired sets, I was at Wally World today and they had 3 Vampire Castles at $69.99. Sadly two were damaged, they had reprinted the shelves and put them back, gluing them to the shelves, when I pulled them off, the bottom of the boxes was ripped off. :(

But I did pickup one, might keep, might not. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I sold all mine last year, so happy to have the one.

Everyone does know that Monster Fighters is retiring this Summer, right? It won't be around for a full year.

I had a feeling this was gonna happen. Stock has been thining around here without being replaced. Do you think Lego will keep some sets online only or a full retirement?

I had a feeling this was gonna happen. Stock has been thining around here without being replaced. Do you think Lego will keep some sets online only or a full retirement?

Decisions are subject to change at any time, but the latest information that I've seen says that June is the retirement date for the entire MF line, not including HH.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    you know....Alien Conquest: fine. It was a mixed bag. I actually loved the theme, and thought it went well interspersed with City.

Seems like everyone I talk to absolutely adored MF. Even my parents that dont collect Lego for themselves bought some of the sets. I realize Lego has waves to keep it fresh, etc...it seems like potential lost with MF.

The pricing obviously had issues, but it had to have been somewhat profitable for Lego....right?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    What are they going to do if they were to continue Monster Fighters though? Like many of the themes, it is the minifigs that sell the (smaller) sets, not the sets themselves. They have done most of the generic horror characters. So they'd either have to rehash existing ones, or base a new series on marginal monsters. Better to do one and done, and maybe refresh / similar theme in 3/4 years time.
    edited April 2013
    I think MF certainly has enough options for another wave of sets without duplicating the 1st wave.

Staypuff Marshmellow guy would be my top choice; Godzilla vs. (pick one); King Kong; Gremlins; Jeeper Creepers guy; evil clown; the invisible man; wicked witch; the blob; etc. Each with a 75 to 450 piece set and fighters surrounding them.

These could be done easily without licensing (save maybe Staypuff).
    edited April 2013
    > Godzilla vs. (pick one); King Kong; the blob

I'd imagine these would need to be large figures (like Hulk, Goblin King, etc)

> Gremlins; Jeeper Creepers guy; evil clown;

To me, these are more modern than the classic horror monsters in MF range. The MF range used cartoony / cute versions of them. I wonder how well this would work for modern horror. Possible license problems too, esp for gremlins.

> the invisible man;

Yeah, either bandaged head with sunglasses or clear head - easy to MOC with existing parts (I did one with clear head, with a filed down stud on torso so it didn't stick up too much into the head).

> wicked witch;

She was in CMF series 2 and last MF series (halloween accessory pack)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    prevere said:

I think MF certainly has enough options for another wave of sets without duplicating the 1st wave.

Staypuff Marshmellow guy would be my top choice; Godzilla vs. (pick one); King Kong; Gremlins; Jeeper Creepers guy; evil clown; the invisible man; wicked witch; the blob; etc. Each with a 75 to 450 piece set and fighters surrounding them.

These could be done easily without licensing (save maybe Staypuff).

For the record, half of what you mentioned there would definitely require a level of licensing. Not that I disagree that they would make cool sets, but when it comes to the Monster Fighters, they have only been using the classic "Universal movie monsters" which has seemed to work.

That said, there's enough potential for both newer character sets like like the invisible man (which you mentioned), Dr. Jekyll (Mr. Good & Evil), Bride of Frankenstein (along with a Gollum-ish Igor!), Dorian Gray, etc. Also, there's potential for bigger/different sets for the existing ones like a bigger swamp scene with boat, the vampyre's crypt, the mummy's tomb, etc.
  • Faedian7Faedian7 Member Posts: 50
    Headless horseman would be an interesting minifig!
    prevere
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Okay, since the last time we discussed them there has been some change regarding the Winter Village sets:
    http://search2.lego.com/?q=10216&lang=2057&cc=US

10216 Winter Village Bakery went from 'Sold out' to 'Retired product'
    10222 Winter Village Post Office was and still is labelled 'Retired product'

So what does this tell us? Have both been retired together?
    Faedian7 said:

That would be great.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited April 2013
    it would certainly seem that way.
    Faedian7 said:

Fairly easy with existing parts too. Just a black minifig with no head in a black cape on a black horse. And holding a pumpkin if you are that way inclined. You may want to trim the neck of the torso so it doesn't stick up too much, and use a round 1x1 plate to hold the cloak on.

I somehow doubt he would have the draw of the more classic monsters in MF though. He wouldn't really fit in with the kid-friendly, Munsters / Addams Family style MF.

^That there is the problem with MF. Lego is dancing around the cute/classic monsters. Doing the "Scooby-Doo" villian approach. Since the VC and HH have been popular, maybe we'll get another big set concept down the road, like a haunted village and hayride or something like that.

Top 25 sellers on [email protected] - couple of thoughts.
    1) Minecraft continues to be #1 on the list. Been there a long time.
    2) No Star Wars sets.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Top-Sellers
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2013
    In the original MF designer artwork (posted in this forum a while back), there was a haunted vessel/ship (labelled Ghost Boat). Would love to see that one on major scale..

Edit: Artwork
    prevere said:

^That there is the problem with MF. Lego is dancing around the cute/classic monsters. Doing the "Scooby-Doo" villian approach.

Yes, but then perhaps that is why they have sold well to the more general public as well as lego fans.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,964
    prevere said:

Top 25 sellers on [email protected] - couple of thoughts.
    1) Minecraft continues to be #1 on the list. Been there a long time.
    2) No Star Wars sets.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Top-Sellers

I think it only tells us that it is April, and we are not in the midst of a typical toy buying season today.

Did you look at the top 25? The observation isn't that there are no Star Wars sets, it is that there really aren't much of any sets. The Lone Ranger sets are there, and Palace Cinema, and a few minor items. The majority are really bits and parts.

Remember also, the top 25 is based on just today's sales, so at this time of year that can be easily influenced by a few buyers.

If May the 4th allows for non SW purchases to get the Han Hoth figure I'm going to finally get some of those Helicopter rescue (ie Hospital/clinic) sets. Since only Walmart has them in the US who knows how long they will last in production.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,516
    ^don't try to get more than 5!
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    Hardrada said:

Okay, since the last time we discussed them there has been some change regarding the Winter Village sets:
    http://search2.lego.com/?q=10216&lang=2057&cc=US

10216 Winter Village Bakery went from 'Sold out' to 'Retired product'
    10222 Winter Village Post Office was and still is labelled 'Retired product'

So what does this tell us? Have both been retired together?

It tells us that nobody knows, until the next Holiday season is upon us. I wouldn't worry about it until then. These Holiday sets were made to "Disappear" after the holiday season, only to reappear the next year. Come September/October if you don't see them. You can then see about trying to acquire them, or unload them for a profit if that's your thing.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    June is the last date that Monster Fighters can be ordered by smaller retailers, along with most of the 2013 assortment that is being discontinued. Like everything else, the sets will be on the shelves through the holidays, subject to dwindling stock around Chritsmas.