Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• lawpepperdinelawpepperdine Member Posts: 7
    Awesome. Not very often we actually get a true confirmation from LEGO themselves of when a product will be EOL. Thank you Turkey.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Geez! ! ! Now what am I supposed to do with the dozen JP's I just bought? I mean, I literally just got back from the LEGO store! The guy at the LEGO store is gonna think I'm nuts if I return them! (OK, I am nuts, but that's beside the point.) Good gravy, I had him go to the store room, clear out all the JP inventory, and then had him help me take all of them to my car! Thank goodness they all made it home OK. I had to bungie cord 4 of them to the top of my car! They'll never make the return trip.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    mathew said:

In the Muslim world things can spread like wildfire. Something as innocuous as a Lego set can quickly become another thing for the masses to rally against. I think it will blow over, but Lego is a pretty safe company and it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the set if only to make some minor changes.

They aren't going to pull it. It will EOL as expected. They cannot make minor changes to Jabba's Palace to remove the dome which so offends the Muslims that have complained, as then it is no longer Jabba's Palace. It is relatively film accurate. If anything, they need to blame the film, not the toy set.
    edited April 2013
    CCC said:

If anything, they need to blame the film, not the toy set.

Agreed. And, an excellent point. Have the blamed the movie?

• ZonZon Member Posts: 213
    I know that Lego keeps repeatedly saying on Twitter that they are not doing anything out of the ordinary, but the media is hyping this up the past few days and prices are sky rocketing because of it.

What happens down the road remains to be seen, but right now is a good time to scoop them up.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    cloaked7 said:

Geez! ! ! Now what am I supposed to do with the dozen JP's I just bought? I mean, I literally just got back from the LEGO store! The guy at the LEGO store is gonna think I'm nuts if I return them! (OK, I am nuts, but that's beside the point.) Good gravy, I had him go to the store room, clear out all the JP inventory, and then had him help me take all of them to my car! Thank goodness they all made it home OK. I had to bungie cord 4 of them to the top of my car! They'll never make the return trip.

Go sell them online... today... you'll be just fine. :)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    edited April 2013
    I'm half-tempted to break my own 'no current sets' rule and sell these sealed right now operating under the assumption that I'll be able to pick more up in a month or so...

Toys R Us on eBay has sold over 200 today, never mind how many they sold yesterday... and that's with a limit of one. Of course, it's way easier to do multiple eBay accounts than it is for Amazon.
    edited April 2013
    ^ Interesting. How much are they selling for? When I looked they were selling for about $160. If that is all they are going for they aren't worth bothering with on a $120 + tax set. I mean, if I didn't already have the set I would probably join in the frenzy and snag one just to get it over with. But, I got one on Amazon for $90 a few months ago.
    The sets selling for $160 likely were purchased for $90 or less, and likely no sales tax was paid, making those much more interesting.

No, it makes no sense to pay full retail plus tax, only to sell them for $160.
    edited April 2013
    ^This. The two I'm toying with listing were purchased when Amazon had them for $83 or whatever they had them at early last week. I'm still it's not worth the hassle of selling them to someone who is only temporarily an idiot, though... just to have them realize they jumped the gun a week or two down the line.

Granted, Wal-Mart still seems to have tons of them in-store... at $94 to boot... so the eBay listings seem all the more nuts.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    Remember this anyone?

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/business/a-nation-challenged-the-toys-heroic-rescue-figures-may-top-holiday-wish-lists.html

Lego pulled the Alpha Team Ogel Control Center after terrorist attacks.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^Ah, a rare Alpha Team reference. That was the dark ages.
    edited April 2013
    ^Yes, I know. I'm old. I came out of my Dark Ages in 1999.

Interestingly enough, only the Ogel Control Center has that expensive rare part that goes to the Darth Maul bust.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30562&colorID=11&in=A
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 527
    Just sold one on eBay for $199.95. Listd for maybe six hours

Bought two weeks ago on amazon for $88. I'll take that type of short term profit anytime.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I was at Target today and they had 3 sitting on the shelf.....price match target.com... $87. I already have one so I passed
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,722
    prevere said:

^I think that will have a very tiny impact on the set. Three years from now, if little Jimmy loves Jabba and wants the Palace, the price will still be high.

Unless of course the sail barge has all the same figures, and is out for longer due to this whole Jabba Palace 'issue'
    Wow, 160 huh? Suckers born every minute IMO.
    You have to love the irony that because a group found the set offensive and want it to stop selling that it is selling out all over the place..lol
    Reminds me of the whole brick-arms uproar that caused massive sales for them.
    'No such thing as 'bad press' indeed

I hope LEGO has the brass ones to put out a statement about how well it is selling now.

prevere said:

^I think that will have a very tiny impact on the set. Three years from now, if little Jimmy loves Jabba and wants the Palace, the price will still be high.

Unless of course the sail barge has all the same figures, and is out for longer due to this whole Jabba Palace 'issue'
    If I recall correctly, Jabba is the only figure included in both sets. The Khetanna is actually already a set I feel like I'm going to pass on completely in terms of holding for the aftermarket, though.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Well...I just used my 10% off coupon at a Lego Store to pick up the HH with the double VIP points. It's the only one I have purchased, and will likely stay that way since it is seldom discounted. Very nice color scheme...
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    sidersdd said:

So now the question is, will there be a mini after-market explosion on these - on par with the Minecraft scarcity scenario around Xmas? Consumers and resellers buying them all up, not knowing if there will be more. Stocks deplenished, and long back order dates posted (or misleading "sold out" labels). Driving up the reseller prices. Might be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

So part 1 of my prediction appears to be coming true. Let's see what happens when stock is gone from LEGO.com - especially if they place a "Sold Out" on the set. Then how long before they can replenish stocks? Will it take as long as Minecraft took? Or will it be more like the claims in the National Geographic video where they can more dynamically keep up with the demand?
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    how do we get 10% off, 20% off coupon for lego store? do we have to be special buyer :D ... i am newbie in lego world so trying to find. i am looking to buy haunted house, grand emporium, tower bridge. and it seems that they are never on sale in usual target and/or walmart. so it am thinking of buying them from lego itself. and this double vip points seems like a good deal but if there is a way to top it off with those precious 10%; 20% off thingy it would be greatly appreciated :P
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    To get a 10% off coupon on your catalog, you have to be close to a Lego store(I believe within 50 miles?), and then they would send you one.

Speaking of the Jabba's Palace, I am certainly glad I bought mine for 20% last year.
    Funny you ask. I just gave both of mine to @sidersdd a couple if weeks ago.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Yeah, and I live 10 miles from a LEGO store and never get those coupons in the catalogs. Thank you much @Pitfall69. I ended up getting a Golden Dragon set and a Rancor Pit (to go with my now (temporarily) priceless Jabba's Palace).
    Pitfall69
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    edited April 2013
    Just curious as to why everyone thinks that Jabba's Palace is such a great set? To me it looks more like Jabba's Garage. Seriously, it basically is built around a giant minifig. $120 set for a giant, un-likable minifig that looks like a McDonald's Happy Meal toy.
    ^ I agree with you completely... I always thought it was very sad and disappointing, but clearly we are in the minority, look at the current sales and prices. :)

I have one set aside to build, but if it hits $300 I'd be nuts to build it. :)
    Jabba's Palace continues the time-honored tradition of the Star Wars location sets (really ALL of the licensed location sets, with the exception of the fantastic Lone Ranger offerings) being pretty terrible (Death Star excluded, of course). The difference with Jabba's Palace is that nearly every minifigure in that set is exclusive to the set.

So yes, it's fairly disappointing against what it's supposed to look like, but the minifigs in it are so much better than any of the other location sets that it's easy to make money off this set already (even before this mosque nonsense).

Insofar as the collecting angle on it goes, I expect a lot of people are drawn to the minifigs there as well and the very low price point (easily found at 25% off) it had been available at for awhile.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    mathew said:

Just curious as to why everyone thinks that Jabba's Palace is such a great set? To me it looks more like Jabba's Garage. Seriously, it basically is built around a giant minifig. $120 set for a giant, un-likable minifig that looks like a McDonald's Happy Meal toy.

This is why I just can't pull the trigger on it. This is now on my 6 year old's list. He has about 10 sets on his list now, that we have color-coded based on interest.

He has no interest in Star Wars, but he really liked Rancor pit, and thinks it is cool that Jabba's palace connects. For the number of parts, and with no Star Wars interest, the set just seems so highly priced, and he has no interest in those minifigs.

I still considered it this morning, though, and I checked out what was available at the Target stores in the area. I am shocked that basically all Target stores around here are sold out as of this evening. I just find it crazy.

Should we start the rumor and run on Rancor pit now? *roll eyes* If Jabba's Palace is going to retire then it seems a good assumption that Rancor pit will as well.
    (and the only reason I considered it this morning, is because I figure I am not going to find the $87 price for a while in the event this set goes higher up on his list...and I will not pay $120 for this set. )
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    My 8 year old LOVES it, in fact it's the one set he has yet to take apart (since Xmas anyway). $120 was too much imho, but the $90 was a very fair price point. Me? I think it's ok. It's certainly no modular, but then again it's not priced to be (plus it's licensed, and the minifigs are unique).

I certainly can't defend the current prices, but as a fan of the Star Wars OT in general, this whole family of Jabba sets (Rancor, Skiff and soon-to-be Sail Barge) compliment each other so nicely. So, given my son's enjoyment, and the fact that the minifigs in each are among the best Lego has ever produced (Boba, Boushh, Lando etc.), I'm very pleased overall.

Btw, if you really want it to be impressive, get one set, then buy a second set without minifigs, which you can get relatively cheap, and then do what @BOBJACK_JACKBOB awesomely did on page one here http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5150/combining-two-identical-sets-to-construct-a-bigger-one/p1
    tensor said:

It's certainly no modular, but then again it's not priced to be (plus it's licensed, and the minifigs are unique).

Of course it is not like the modular street sets, as they are aimed at a completely different audience.

Although it is modular, in the sense that this module clips into another module to make a larger play set. Thus it is more modular than most SW sets.

• wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I bought an opened one at WM After christmas on the off chance it was complete. It was and my 9 year old built it. It has been on the dining room table ever since. He spends at least 30-45 minutes a night in there playing with it. Say what you want, but at my house, the playability of the set is rivaled only by DS.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    What will be interesting to watch is how this mini-run on the JP effects the final landing place of the set once it truly does EOL. JP would have been interesting anyway because it was a "modular" in the sense that it is designed to go with other sets. With the 30 year anniversary of ROTJ and the re-issuance of the sailbarge and skiff, JP fits into the whole Tantooine motiff. That, in and of itself, makes it unique and could be a driving factor in its aftermarket value, but throw in this issue and what will the effect be? It could be nominal in that people forget about it eventually, or it could be a "boy who cried wolf" scenario and the increase after EOL could be artificially depressed.

Either way, I don't consider minecraft to be a good baromoter for two reasons, first, it is a niche set that had a limited print run and second, it was an exclusive. JP was a fuly release set that was part of Lego's most popular line. Apples and oranges in my opinion.
    wagnerml2 said:

JP would have been interesting anyway because it was a "modular" in the sense that it is designed to go with other sets.

I was wondering that too, is the fate of the Rancor pit tied to JP? I'd say JP is less of a modular than the pit. In that the pit is a little strange on its own if you do not get JP, whereas the palace does make sense without the pit.
    CCC said:

wagnerml2 said:

JP would have been interesting anyway because it was a "modular" in the sense that it is designed to go with other sets.

I was wondering that too, is the fate of the Rancor pit tied to JP? I'd say JP is less of a modular than the pit. In that the pit is a little strange on its own if you do not get JP, whereas the palace does make sense without the pit.

I do think the fate is tied, thus my remark above.

Of course, I probably have one of the few kids out there that desperately wanted Rancor pit, while the palace (which is on his list) has been categorized lower than about 5-6 other sets. For him, the Rancor pit has a ton of play value on it's own, since he sees it as a cool monster and disassociates it from Star Wars. It has a few secret features, and a cool gate, and it acts as a jail or home. He very much sees Rancor as a great stand-alone set, that doesn't have to have JP.
    JP is current #1 on Amazon's building toys list. And, it's been 190 days in the top 100. So, a lot of people really like the set.
    tamamahm said:

Of course, I probably have one of the few kids out there that desperately wanted Rancor pit, while the palace (which is on his list) has been categorized lower than about 5-6 other sets. For him, the Rancor pit has a ton of play value on it's own, since he sees it as a cool monster and disassociates it from Star Wars. It has a few secret features, and a cool gate, and it acts as a jail or home. He very much sees Rancor as a great stand-alone set, that doesn't have to have JP.

People buying it at above RRP in the future are likely to be Star Wars fans though and so put it into some context.
    I think JP is at #1 solely for this 'contraversy' business.. this is nothing more than a Minecraft type rise... once LEGO makes more and has them widely available this should calm down.. Im sure its not stopping those that are unscrupulous sellers on eBay from trumpeting that they are 'sold out'
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I think JP may do well once it retires as it has alot of exclusive minifigs. It will never approach Cloud City as alot more will be sold and hoarded but you get the drift. Personally I do not touch SW system sets for resale but if I did then this set would be high on the list.
    edited April 2013
    Gee, what a stunner, the JP is back on Amazon, and the price is no longer $87.99.
    I think it may go up but it will take a while with everyone and their sisters and brothers buying at least one because of this whole 'controversy' racket.
    That and to be honest, I do not think there has been one recently retired SW set that has risen much over its RRP. I have not checked recently, but the newest version of Turbo Tank is not doing a lot, nor is the Battle of Endor, IMO.
    Unless I am forgetting a set somewhere?
    Sorry, forgot the IS, but I should say, any set really rising in the price range of the Palace?

Sorry, forgot the IS, but I should say, any set really rising in the price range of the Palace?

Even the IS isn't doing that great yet, though I think most people would have guessed that to be the case since it went out after Christmas. Even if you got them for $180, I think it'll be closer to October or November before you'll be able to double your money after fees.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    9392 is gone from US and UK [email protected] They were selling on ebay UK for 2xRRP at Xmas. Do sets ever re-appear after the page is deleted?
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,383

Gee, what a stunner, the JP is back on Amazon, and the price is no longer $87.99.
    I think it may go up but it will take a while with everyone and their sisters and brothers buying at least one because of this whole 'controversy' racket.
    That and to be honest, I do not think there has been one recently retired SW set that has risen much over its RRP. I have not checked recently, but the newest version of Turbo Tank is not doing a lot, nor is the Battle of Endor, IMO.
    Unless I am forgetting a set somewhere?

There are a couple of factors to compare here, mainly purchase price and time of year to sell.
    SW lego is heavily overpriced at RRP and you'd have to be crazy to buy at RRP with the intention of reselling.

#7868 is a good recent example. £35.99 UK RRP, was available at £28. Resold at Xmas £60 each.
    Though I admit it is getting harder to predict.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,383
    edited April 2013
    Double post
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^ triple :)
    I hate when that happens! :-) I've accidently done that before. I just blame it on my browser. :-)
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    thanks @Goldchains

LEGO #9493 its MSRP $59.99. what would be a good entry point for this set :)
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^depends. Every buyer has their own price trigger. Personally my buy point is 25% off. For higher end sets like UCS or modular buildings I'm good with 20%.
    ^Yes, 20% off a $200 set is better than 30% offa $50 set.