Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    10231 Shuttle Expedition is back to 'Call to check for product availability' on [email protected] US
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    edited February 2013

10231 Shuttle Expedition is back to 'Call to check for product availability' on [email protected] US

Yes. :) Thanks

EDIT: Sold out.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    ^ Were you able to buy it?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918

^ Were you able to buy it?

Sold out when I called. I called right when I posted at 6:32 pm.
    edited February 2013
    So it appears the 10231 is showing 'Call to check for product availability ' again on [email protected] US
    At least for me.
    So are 10216 Bakery and 10222 Winter Post office
    as of 12:30pm CDT
    It appears the 10231 and 10216 are now both Sold out again as of 1:25pm CDT
  • adam2edenadam2eden Member Posts: 13
    I have a question that might be related to the topics here. But I'd like to ask since this is still kind of related to selling lego. Since many people here buy a lot of legos and store them at home or somewhere, do you buy insurance to cover any accident? I doubt home owner's insurance or renter's insurance will cover your loss if you lost 100 DS that were stored at home.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited February 2013
    Excellent question. I have $5-10,000 of LEGOS depending on whether you base the value on what I paid or what they're worth, so I asked my insurance agent. For some items like firearms, jewelry, furs, etc. you must have a rider added to your policy if the value of said item is above a certain amount. You have to do the same if you have an antique car, you must have it appraised in order to insure it for what it is worth. There is no LEGO rider. :-) No surprise there.

I was the first person to ask my agent about insuring LEGOS, so we both got a good laugh out of it. Their advice was to take photos of the LEGOS and have an inventory of them, along with any receipts. And, keep the documentation in a save place. On a laptop, flash drive in a safety deposit box, etc. She said that if I had photos and documentation there would not be an issue with being reimbursed for the LEGOS. Now, whether it would be their cost or value, I don't know. Hopefully I'll never have to cross that bridge.

But, by no means take my word for it. If you're concerned I recommend contacting your insurance agent. If you do I would like to know what you find out. Would be good if they provided advice similar to what I was given.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I don't have extra insurance on my Legos either. They are 4ft off the ground. I don't live in a flood zone. If my house gets leveled by a tornado or fire, I'll get more than what my Legos are worth anyway, so it is a win-win.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2013
    1) Many (US) homeowners policies have a limit on "personal items" which can be around $30K. This would cover everything not specifically declared (furniture, tools, toys, computers, cookware, appliances, etc.) If you have $10K's of Lego, you might want to total up all your stuff and see where you're at.

2) Some homeowners policies will also limit coverage on "collectibles" which some Lego may indeed fall under. Not unlike say a wedding ring or gold coins, they may not be covered at their full value unless you declare them specifically.

3) Some resellers might have their Lego horde fall under "business" items, which may not covered by homeowners.

As @cloaked7 spoke the truth, you should talk to your insurance person because each situation is different, to make sure you don't end up with a $20K heap of melted plastic should there be a fire. Better to know beforehand than after.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited February 2013
    Thoughts on the #5770 Lighthouse? That one seems to have disappeared quietly. I like the set personally and it seems to be a very unique building for LEGO (ie one not likely to be redone anytime soon if ever).
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ it's a good set at a good price point, and like you said, pretty unique. It also is a pretty timeless subject, so it has that going for it.

That said, is it something someone is going to pay, say double RRP, for in time? I have no idea.
    TheLoneTensor
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Lighthouse will be a good Xmas item in a few years once some of the inventory clears out.
    It already seems to be creeping up in price per completed sales on eBay. I have a few, some picked up on sale. I wouldn't be surprised if it is double RRP by this Christmas, but who knows. :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2013
    I think the lighthouse will do well. It's unique and I don't believe TLG will be releasing another lighthouse for a few years. I can see it doubling RRP within a year. JMO.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    The lighthouse had a really nice price point. If Lego were to release it today it would be $50 or $60. I can see it fetching $80 this Christmas.
    ^ it was relatively underpriced I think, even at the time of release'

for the record, I have 3 that I bought on a B2G1 WAY back in late 2011
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The Lighthouse was a pretty fun build, with a spiffy finished model that was very charming in its own way. On those merits and a decent part list, this should easily double. Plus I didn't feel it was in over supply during its lifetime.
    I have a few lighthouses.. kinda wish I got more of them.. if anything for parts.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    dougts said:

^ it's a good set at a good price point, and like you said, pretty unique. It also is a pretty timeless subject, so it has that going for it.

That said, is it something someone is going to pay, say double RRP, for in time? I have no idea.

This, specifically the part about it being a timeless theme.
    Well the FB is back up to 149.99 on Amazon.com
    Yup @pharmjod I think the Lighthouse (LH) will do nicely next Christmas, and on into the future. It has a good price point and is unique. Based on how the LEGO houses have done I think it will easily double in price. Maybe even X3 or X4 over time. One thing about the houses (and the LH) have going for them - they appeal to more than just boys. They appeal to girls and adults too.

I am not into LEGOS enough to know, but I read that the curved red bricks are relatively rare. If so, that's another plus.

I have way more LEGOS than I build, but did build the LH. Again, not an expert as some of you are, but I enjoyed the build and the final product. It is one of the few sets I have on display. It's right beside my Hobbit Bag End set (one of the best sets EVER!). he he
    I've debating opening my 3 sealed lighthouses for parts raiding, but haven't done so yet. I'll probably keep them sealed and sell at some point
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,826
    The Lighthouse was discounted to about £20 for a while in Boots here in the UK. I think quite a few people stocked up on it. I bought one ... nice build and fairly unique.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I found a bunch of the Lighthouse sets for $20 acouple weeks ago. I think its a nice set and plan on opening one up and building it tonight.
    edited February 2013
    ^ great price @Thanos75 I would buy all I could at $20 each. IMHO the set will easily sell for $60-80 around Christmas. Especially after the initial supply is bought up.

I picked up a few during BOGO offers and a few more when I found some on clearance at WM. I bought all they had.

Oh yeah. What a consider another plus. The set will easily mail in a USPS Priority box. For me those are the easiest items to ship/mail. I don't have to find a box, and just leave it for my postal person to pick up. No driving to FedEx, etc. Gotta love it! "That was easy!" I love 'easy'. What can I say, I have a lazy streak. he he

Oh yeah, I like the Log Cabin too. For all the same reasons I like the Lighthouse Island.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^I'm not as big on the Log Cabin. I think that one is way easier to build through BL.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I dont resell much....I'm lazy too.... I only end up selling what I have the right size box for shipping. I got burned once selling something I didnt have the right size box for and ended up putting it in a box way too big and ate a nice chunk of change for shipping cost.I'm in no hurry to sell anything but my 6x8 is about 90% full....lol. I'm in the process of closing in my garage to use as a LEGO room. I already have a whole room for comics and art so why not have one for my other collection.
    edited February 2013
    ^ he he I hear ya. I have a 'LEGO' room too. Problem is, it's supposed to be a bedroom. And, my wife won't let me forget it! Course, she has a point. There's no room for a bed, etc. in the room. The LEGOS ended up acting a lot like Kudzu. :-) (And,it all began so very innocently.)
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Somehow I lost the "spare bedroom"
    battle. Room for a gian wardrobe that includes 200 pairs of shoes and dozens of handbags but no Lego. Sniff sniff.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    Every room in my house has some lego in it.
    pmercikRomanticWarrior
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    cloaked7 said:

I am not into LEGOS enough to know, but I read that the curved red bricks are relatively rare. If so, that's another plus.

Yes, but it's the new type with cross supports underneath that makes it impossible to stack them in an alternating pattern afaik.

I'm sitting on 15 Lighthouse Island sets currently. It has a nice part out value and has good prospects for a steady rise in price. Over here it hasn't started to creep up yet though as webshops still have some stock.

5771 Hillside House on the other hand is already on the rise. And I'm invested into that one, too.
    edited February 2013
    I was able to snag the hillside house on pretty good sale from TRU last year, but since it is a TRU exclusive, it could very well stick around for another year or more at retail with them. Hard to know. It is a nice house though (especially compared to 2013s line up).

Also, I've never actually used bricklink before. How do you determine the part out value of a set? I feel dumb asking because I've been collecting/buying/selling LEGO for nearly 15 years but have never learned much about bricklink at all.
    ^ and ^^ Yup, I like most of the houses. As mentioned, being a TRU exclusive it was difficult to get at a good discount (TRU usually had it $10 above RRP), so I didn't load up on them as much as other houses, but did get some. As I mentioned about the Lighthouse, the houses have advantages over most LEGO sets.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    pharmjod said:

Also, I've never actually used bricklink before. How do you determine the part out value of a set? I feel dumb asking because I've been collecting/buying/selling LEGO for nearly 15 years but have never learned much about bricklink at all.

Go to the set page (e.g., for the Lighthouse go to http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=5770-1).

Then click the "Part Out" link under the "Lots for Sale" section of the page.

Then you can choose things like whether you want to include the minifigs, instructions, etc.

You can choose what to use for the "price" (the assumption being that you're doing this to add to your store inventory). Last 6 months sales average is a good guide to start with.

Click "Submit for Edit". This page gives you an opportunity to adjust some things.

Click "Verify Items" and you'll get an easier to read view and a total part out value at the bottom (e.g., Lighthouse being US$67.38 right now for the parts and figs).

Don't click "Upload Items" unless you really plan to add those items to your store.
    pharmjod
    @sidersdd thanks! I will have to play around with it.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2013
    JamesJT said:

SiE said:

JamesJT said:

SiE said:

Pitfall69 said:

SiE said:

Pitfall69 said:

^Speaking of which...What's the ceiling on the Carousel? Does anyone have some still stock or have sold one recently?

I sold one outside of ebay for 700 before xmas. Inside your looking at 800. Of course thats for a sealed set. Used can be found for a lot less (450-550)
    $700-800 USD or £'s. Completed listings are showing the Carousel being sold at around $1,100-1,300 and new listings as high as $1,800+

£ sorry I always forget to mention that. I have another listed on eBay at the moment for £850 and they seem to be going up and up. I am tempted to take it off and wait another 6-12 months.
    £1200 now! Form an orderly queue....
    I raised it based on international prices. Its on the way up again at the moment. Like i said, i was gonna pull it as its going through a lot of movement at the moment. I reckon these will sell for 1000+ from now on. Just gutted its my only one now. I dont think there are many in the wild still sealed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200885543501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Still too much for me.
    JamesJT said:

SiE said:

JamesJT said:

SiE said:

Pitfall69 said:

SiE said:

Pitfall69 said:

^Speaking of which...What's the ceiling on the Carousel? Does anyone have some still stock or have sold one recently?

I sold one outside of ebay for 700 before xmas. Inside your looking at 800. Of course thats for a sealed set. Used can be found for a lot less (450-550)
    $700-800 USD or £'s. Completed listings are showing the Carousel being sold at around $1,100-1,300 and new listings as high as $1,800+

this I think may have contributed to the low auction

"I would wrap the box a plastic bag followed by bubblewrap and then brown paper. That should offer adequate protection and I can not accept responsibility should any damage occur during handling by Royal Mail. "

Who would send a set of that value wrapped in paper.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Maersk Train popped back in stock this morning at ToysRUs.com.
    Amazon US has Town Hall for 161.06 now
    edited February 2013
    sidersdd said:

Appears gone now, wonder if it was a mix up, or they found a few in the back (although I think most of those probably wind up on eBay)?
    edited February 2013

Quoting myself, now they are $157.69...really tempted to get one
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    sidersdd said:

Do you mind to share a direct link for Maersk train? I can't find it by searching it. Thanks.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    edited February 2013
    ^^ I'm holding out for another epic WM sale :).
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    looks like the info page but unavailable to add to cart... would have been nice tho

thanks!

• 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    down to $154 now
    edited February 2013
    Sprung on one with a gift card as well. Will need to watch the TH to see if the price goes down again
    TH should retire when....maybe 2016?