Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405

I believed (and still do) when the landspeeder came out that it would do well in the aftermarket. All of my kids wanted that set and my oldest even purchased one MIB to hold onto. It is an iconic set from the most watched movie of all the SW movies. It was out for a few years; however, it offers five popular minifigures and the speeder...all for only $25...no brainer.

On a related note, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that one of the future USC sets will be a landspeeder.

Ok. So what is your ceiling on this set? If I bought one today for $12 and sold it for $30 on Ebay my profit would be roughly $7. What profit would be even worth your time?

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ I wouldn't sell before $50. But nothing's to say it doesn't go to $75+ eventually. Like everything, it's a crapshoot, but you're certainly never going to lose money buying at $12.
    ^To even make it worth my while I would have to make a $40-45 profit after fees and shipping.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,345
    ^what, on each set ?
    In UK I grabbed 10 of these at £12.50 (50%) and sold all within a week for £30. About £130 easy profit (small set, easy to pack)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

Ok. So what is your ceiling on this set? If I bought one today for $12 and sold it for $30 on Ebay my profit would be roughly $7. What profit would be even worth your time?

It is a volume game, not a margin game.

I'd be thrilled with a $7 profit per set on that. The trick is to sell a lot more than 1 of them. :)
    chrisdojo
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,581
    roxio said:

^what, on each set ?
    In UK I grabbed 10 of these at £12.50 (50%) and sold all within a week for £30. About £130 easy profit (small set, easy to pack)

Was that M&S? When I bought they only had 4 left online. I would have gone for 10 otherwise.

^To even make it worth my while I would have to make a $40-45 profit after fees and shipping.

Pitfall69 said:

I'd be thrilled with a $7 profit per set on that. The trick is to sell a lot more than 1 of them. :)
    See...that's the thing. If I was sitting on 100 of these that I bought for $12 and I was selling 6-8 a week, that would be fine, but to take a trip to the post office for $7 is not worth it to me.

I understand on items like this, it is a volume game. I'm not a volume reseller.

You have a warehouse, the funds, and people that are doing all the packing and shipping for you, so you can get by with a modest profit.

This is good though. I'm sure everyone is tired of talking about Fire Brigade and Imperial Shuttle. I know I am :)
    FollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasBumblepantsPenkid11
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

See...that's the thing. If I was sitting on 100 of these that I bought for $12 and I was selling 6-8 a week, that would be fine, but to take a trip to the post office for $7 is not worth it to me.

I understand on items like this, it is a volume game. I'm not a volume reseller.

You have a warehouse, the funds, and people that are doing all the packing and shipping for you, so you can get by with a modest profit.

If you're only looking at selling a handful, I agree that this set would not have a lot of resale value. However, I have to ask...why are you making any trips to the post office? You do know that you can print out postage online and have them pick packages up at your house, don't you? I shipped enough last year to get a Christmas Card from USPS and didn't set foot in an actual post office once.

y2josh
    ^My postal guy drives his own car. Then there is this other guy that does the same thing. They must be switching routes back n forth. My mail is always getting put in other peoples boxes. I don't want to risk it.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,345
    CCC said:

roxio said:

^what, on each set ?

Was that M&S? When I bought they only had 4 left online. I would have gone for 10 otherwise.

Yes, M&S
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622

I actually have received a few IS sets from Amazon that aren't all that bad.

Mint? No, but not trashed either.

Mint is indeed rare on this set, I've picked up a few from the local LEGO store last year that were close, but even the Shop @ Home orders often come with some damage.

Would have been useful if they came in outer cardboard boxes like 10188
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890

I actually have received a few IS sets from Amazon that aren't all that bad.

Mint? No, but not trashed either.

Mint is indeed rare on this set, I've picked up a few from the local LEGO store last year that were close, but even the Shop @ Home orders often come with some damage.

One of my most recent sets from amazon came absolutely mint, the other had the stickers come off on one side, but mint otherwise. I'm just going to slap some new stickers on there and I'm good to go.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,896
    Looks like Malevolence and Sith Fury are starting to get discounted at big box retailers (there were some recent comments in the Wally sales discussion). At 30%, I'm questionable on those; and at 50%, they are definite pick ups. Long-term, I like Malevolence better I think.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,670
    cloaked7 said:

Does WD-40 work on removing stickers from LEGO boxes? It works on other - materials, glass, plastic, wood, even clear coat over paint on automobiles.

I have used WD-40 to remove some, but not all, marker, paint, and sticker residue from brick.
    Boxes, Im not sure on, but I think I did sparingly use some WD-40 when removing some market marker off of a new LEGO box, it did not get it all, but lessened how much was on it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,670
    Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

Of course you are also banking on not seeing these in another set or re-release as well for that time.
    I have one 7657 AT-ST in sealed box left that I have had for some time now, they finally started creeping up in price but no thanks to the Endor set but when that set left...
    edited January 2013
    ^Technically, this is the third landspeeder. One came in the Cantina set. It's a great set. Other than the Sand trooper, I don't see the minifigures being sought after. There's only one Luke's landspeeder. Once you have it, there's no desire to build a fleet of them. Same goes with Luke, Ben, R2 and 3PO. The Cantina set had a Dewback and Greedo. That set went for $30 back then. I just don't see any value past the initial set and it's contents.
    ^ The value comes from kids wanting well known characters in an iconic vehicle. Many kids couldn't care less who Greedo is. But they want the well known Luke, R2, etc. and his speeder. Which gives sales volume. There will of course be other small sets in the future with a Luke, but just the figure count for $12 / £12.50, the landspeeder was a great deal.

My kids have had probably 3-4 Luke minifigs each. They can play with them to bits - and they do. Other kids do the same - play with maybe 10-12 iconic characters a lot. When sets are that cheap, I let them.
    ^I get that. I understand that. I guess we will have to see. The other thing is the price. Seeing that is was fairly cheap, I figured everyone has this set already and why would there be any need to buy it in the future as compared to more expensive sets. I bought 2 of these sets and gave them to my nephews. I know kids can be kids, but I was never that child, I always wanted the bad guys. Greedo was one of them. It was a famous scene in Star Wars, so famous they had to mess with it and screw it up. In fact, I think Greedo had more screen time than Boba Fett. I'm not quite sure, but in the CGI science with Jabba and Han, there were two Rodians present. One looked like Greedo,but that couldn't be the case because he was already dead.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^It's the figures. They're iconic.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 441
    Aside... weren't the Ninjago sets going to be discontinued? Wasn't Ninjago going to be replaced entirely by Chima at least until next year?

Have I missed something?
    ^I think they are going to run Ninjago along side with Legends of Chima.
    FatMatt said:

^It's the figures. They're iconic.

I have to argue about something :P

• Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 787
    edited January 2013
    legoprods said:

Aside... weren't the Ninjago sets going to be discontinued? Wasn't Ninjago going to be replaced entirely by Chima at least until next year?

Have I missed something?

Lego still sees profit. No news of a summer wave yet. We should have confirmation after the Toy Fairs are over.

Rumor has it that the show will continue as well.
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 65
    legoprods said:

Have I missed something?

Yep, you missed this:

https://community.lego.com/t5/NINJAGO/Important-Ninjago-Announcement/td-p/4461464
    legoprods
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 441
    Thanks @RTO

So anyone knows about the 2012 ninjago sets? (#9450, #944X) Are they being discontinued or we just have no idea?
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    prevere said:

Looks like Malevolence and Sith Fury are starting to get discounted at big box retailers (there were some recent comments in the Wally sales discussion). At 30%, I'm questionable on those; and at 50%, they are definite pick ups. Long-term, I like Malevolence better I think.

Sith Fury is a great looking ship, the Malevolence not so much. It's one of those ships that just doesn't work at such a small scale.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    My IS arrived from Amazon today. I believe it was the 2nd to last set left before Amazon sold out. The outer box was crunched a bit (as expected with cheap Amazon boxes shipped through UPS). The set's box was open inside and one of the bags was strewn all over the inside. The frustrating thing is that I don't have time to build it now to determine whether or not all the parts are there. I am considering contacting TLG to see if they can send me the destroyed bag...I wonder if they would?
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 86
    @cloaked7
    Use a hair dryer on warm to heat the adhesive in the sticker for a few seconds and then the sticker will peel right off.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719

My IS arrived from Amazon today. I believe it was the 2nd to last set left before Amazon sold out. The outer box was crunched a bit (as expected with cheap Amazon boxes shipped through UPS). The set's box was open inside and one of the bags was strewn all over the inside. The frustrating thing is that I don't have time to build it now to determine whether or not all the parts are there. I am considering contacting TLG to see if they can send me the destroyed bag...I wonder if they would?

I wouldn't worry about it until you build it, assuming you build it within the not too distant future. About a year ago, I sold a used #10177 Dreamliner (which was retired in 2009). Apparently, the new owner said some of the white pieces were brittle, so he contacted Lego and they sent him the pieces he needed. It seems like a waste of resources (plastic, money, gas etc.) if Lego had to ship new pieces when the ones you have might be perfectly fine. Although, if Amazon sold you a used set as new, I would probably try to get a small refund from them.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ LEGO has said in the past that they keep replacement parts for at least 2 years post EOL, then after that it is just whatever they happen to have in stock at the time.

So you have awhile to build it, and still be sure to get replacements from LEGO.
    pvancil27
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588

^ LEGO has said in the past that they keep replacement parts for at least 2 years post EOL, then after that it is just whatever they happen to have in stock at the time.

So you have awhile to build it, and still be sure to get replacements from LEGO.

Thats pretty useful to know, thanks Darth! ;P

• flyingpigflyingpig Member Posts: 119

Pitfall69 said:

Luke's Landspeeder left last month.

I still see these at my local Walmart. I don't see any value in picking one up

Why not? IMHO, this is one of the better value sets available this clearance season. Granted, there are a lot of them out there, but 5 minifigs plus an iconic SW vehicle for $12 is a sure bet in my estimation.
    Destiny's Bounty, Black Pearl, and the Landspeeder are probably the best three sets from this Christmas's 50% off clearance. $25 TIE maybe a close 4th. I just wish I had more of all of them. Anyone with any better finds this Christmas?

Pitfall69 said:

I would be incredibly disappointed with $7 profit on #8092! I can easily get more than that NOW, and its January, not November/December!
    flyingpig said:

Destiny's Bounty, Black Pearl, and the Landspeeder are probably the best three sets from this Christmas's 50% off clearance. $25 TIE maybe a close 4th. I just wish I had more of all of them. Anyone with any better finds this Christmas?

From a different perspective, I think that the Sith Infiltrator, Geonosian Starfighter, and Podracer sets were all fantastic deals since they discounted 50% from an already discounted price, so each was on sale for around 60% off RRP.
    ^Interesting, I don't see any Ebay sales for more than $30 and these are being listed on average less than $30.

So I buy at $12 + 0.06 sales tax gives me $12.72. I sell at $30. I only do buy it now and free shipping, but most of the time I incorporate that in my price. $30 - EBay and PayPal fee and let's say $6.00 shipping. This gives me around $7.00 profit
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I never found any Sith Infiltrators on sale....My stores are still stock full of them........I think the Rebublic Frigate for $50 was a killer deal this season.
    ^I guess I'm done talking about Lukes landspeeder. I guess I don't know what I'm doing or my math is really bad :)

I thought the Black Pearl deals were pretty good.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    and even at $35 the stores around me still have the Pod Racer sets on the racks...I bought two and just couldnt bring myself to buy any more...just dont like the set....but I will gladly pick up some if you want to trade for an Infiltrator...lol
  • flyingpigflyingpig Member Posts: 119

flyingpig said:

From a different perspective, I think that the Sith Infiltrator, Geonosian Starfighter, and Podracer sets were all fantastic deals since they discounted 50% from an already discounted price, so each was on sale for around 60% off RRP.
    Thanos75 said:

and even at $35 the stores around me still have the Pod Racer sets on the racks...I bought two and just couldnt bring myself to buy any more...just dont like the set....but I will gladly pick up some if you want to trade for an Infiltrator...lol

Fantastic deals precentage wise. But as sets... not so great. Geonosian Starfighter particularly. Unique minifigs is the only saving grace, even at $15 it's a hard sell in my eyes. Podracers and Infiltrators were still buys for me, but I took a pass on the Geonosian Starfighter .

Missed out on the Frigate, none in stock near me. =(
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    At $27 & 34.50 its tough to pass that up.

Geonosian was available for $12 - 15. I you have the time, you can part out the Geo and make a few bucks. There were tons available starting back with Target before Christmas.
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Looking forward to my final 2 IS arriving. I may put a pic or 2 up to test opinion as to condition, as of the 6 I already have, I would say all 6 are "mint" but I think that looking at some of the comments, maybe I have the old rose tinteds on and in fact they are more ROTM than im thinking...

On another topic, I can get 5 *mint* #7590 for 60 UKP... This seems an OK deal to me, what do others think?

Thanks in advance

LP
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,302
    Since the IS EOL'd end of 2012, will the SSD EOL at the end of next year or does it have longer legs than that? That would be a 2 year cycle which is about what the IS stayed around for.
  • BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 54
    I'd check Amazon.co.uk first if I were you
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843

On another topic, I can get 5 *mint* #7590 for 60 UKP... This seems an OK deal to me, what do others think?

That's 20% off RRP, if I am not mistaken. I don't think Toy Story or Cars sets will resell too well, but I can't really say why.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    ^ If your happy to hang on to it till next Christmas then you may make some money on them, but you probably could do better putting your £60 into something else.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950
    edited January 2013
    Thanos75 said:

I'll trade one! Pm me.
    edited January 2013
    mressin said:

That's 20% off RRP, if I am not mistaken. I don't think Toy Story or Cars sets will resell too well, but I can't really say why.

I think it is partly because there are better (non-lego) Toy Story play toys available for younger kids.
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214

Since the IS EOL'd end of 2012, will the SSD EOL at the end of next year or does it have longer legs than that? That would be a 2 year cycle which is about what the IS stayed around for.

I'd love to know the answer to that question too.
    Thanos75 said:

I never found any Sith Infiltrators on sale....My stores are still stock full of them........I think the Rebublic Frigate for $50 was a killer deal this season.

I'll definitely agree on that one...though, they were hard to find. I only came across two of those.

edited January 2013
    flyingpig said:

Fantastic deals precentage wise. But as sets... not so great. Geonosian Starfighter particularly. Unique minifigs is the only saving grace, even at $15 it's a hard sell in my eyes. Podracers and Infiltrators were still buys for me, but I took a pass on the Geonosian Starfighter .

Missed out on the Frigate, none in stock near me. =(

Agreed. Was the geonosian ringing up as $15 for you? I was finding them for $12. Not sure i would have bought as many if they'd been at $15.