Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,670
    After all the sorting I have done I agree in can be a pain, but then again you can usually figure out what sets are in a lot by the unusual parts, minifigs, or printed sticker-ed bricks.
    That or I have been doing this WAY too long.
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    My kids got roughly two dozen sets for Christmas from Santa. They were destroyed in the playroom within days. For the time being, they are in various states of disrepair in a big box. I'm hoping it will be as easy as you state above when I get around to rebuilding them!
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^It is never easy, you merely get better at it:)
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^...and faster.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,579
    edited January 2013
    rocao said:

However, I'm reading an increasing number of statements that are commoditizing LEGO. They are calling sets "losers", "dogs", "widgets", and evaluating them not on their merits as a LEGO set, but simply by how much profit they represent in the aftermarket. They are celebrating when a set is discontinued -- an event that is a loss for most LEGO fans.

I agree with the sentiment, a set should not be judged on it's aftermarket price alone.

But I wonder, has there ever been a good set that has been a real "dog" when it comes to the aftermarket? Or vice versa, a bad set from a build point of view that has been a real winner in the aftermarket. I've never built a CC, but would that fit in the latter category? I find it strange that people often dismiss it as not as good as later modulars, but it gets mainly 5/5 stars in reviews. Was it just that it was reviewed before the later ones came out.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    So I've been away for about a month dealing with some family health issues, and dont have the time to read 1500 posts, so can someone give me a quick "these sets are going away so you should pick them up if you dont have them" list for Star Wars. I know the IS is gone, I am more wondering regular sets. It seems as if the Wal Marts around me stopped stocking the new X-Wings o,O
    CCC said:

rocao said:

However, I'm reading an increasing number of statements that are commoditizing LEGO. They are calling sets "losers", "dogs", "widgets", and evaluating them not on their merits as a LEGO set, but simply by how much profit they represent in the aftermarket. They are celebrating when a set is discontinued -- an event that is a loss for most LEGO fans.

I agree with the sentiment, a set should not be judged on it's aftermarket price alone.

But I wonder, has there ever been a good set that has been a real "dog" when it comes to the aftermarket? Or vice versa, a bad set from a build point of view that has been a real winner in the aftermarket. I've never built a CC, but would that fit in the latter category? I find it strange that people often dismiss it as not as good as later modulars, but it gets mainly 5/5 stars in reviews. Was it just that it was reviewed before the later ones came out.
    I know it gets dogged a lot here but I actually think 10215 is a nicely displayed set. the Part count for the original RRP was bad but the model itself turns out pretty nicely if I do say so myself. on the other side 8039 seemed to be a decent reseller set and yet its a fairly Meh build and the final model looks fairly bad compared to other capital ships.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,579
    I work out but don't need gym equipment. I lift hundreds of bricks most days.
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    @Pitfall69 That is a cool workout room (lego sorting room) you have. Your daughter looked perplexed in the pile of legos in the previous photo.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @pvancil27 - IS is gone. AS is Luke's Speeder, Ewoks and Sith NIghtspeeder (at least from my WMs)

Welcome back. I hope the health issues resolved themselves.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,896
    @pvancil27 - 2x Welcome back. Even if you pay close attention to the forum/market, it's so easy to miss opportunities. So many sets/themes. It is great though.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ just go to shop.lego.com, and look for what is either sold out, or no longer on the SW theme page at all anymore. Those are the goners.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 441
    Also, please remember, that a lot of us are doing this in order to fund our own Lego purchases, or even make an extra money if possible, it never hurts!

Others do these even to (I liked this) keep a roof under their kids head. :)

I really don't think many (let alone a handful) are into this PURELY for the money. It is somewhat impossible to do that for a long time, and never be interested in it. Unless you have a big store, and you sell many other things. However, in that case, you wouldn't probably be here in a Lego forum taking the time to read, share, laugh, and comment on your spare time.

You wouldn't feel as if you were in a community.

And... I should confess that I wouldn't be into Lego this much if it weren't because I couldn't find my own purchases. Nobody is there to buy it for you anymore, and reselling gives me the power to buy Lego. If I had to spend ALL my funds do this, maybe I wouldn't be into it.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I know that we have all discussed the MF longevity, but specifically I am curious about Ghost Train. I have a few I can pick up at 30%. The Ghosts are not the most compelling figures, but I do think it is the most unique set in the line (after the Castle) and that could be a positive. At a pricepoint of $54 is this worth stashing a few? I look at the TS train and think no, but MF appeals to a different demographic. THoughts?
    Bandit said:

^ just go to shop.lego.com, and look for what is either sold out, or no longer on the SW theme page at all anymore. Those are the goners.

Wow, that makes a ton of sense. On top of the ones listed above, seems the Target NAboo fighter and battle of Geo sets are gone. Have them all, so good to know none of the second half 2012 sets are gone early.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    wagnerml2 said:

@pvancil27 - IS is gone. AS is Luke's Speeder, Ewoks and Sith NIghtspeeder (at least from my WMs).

Wow! I didn't realize that Luke's Landspeeder was gone! I just double checked with [email protected] and it isn't there. When did that happen?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Luke's Landspeeder left last month.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2013
    JamesJTPitfall69LegoFanTexasPenkid11
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405

Sometimes this is better than some of the incoherent babble posted :P

edited January 2013
    Ok. Received my IS from the now famous(or infamous to some) Amazon IS Countdown. I closed my eyes while opening the box (I recommend you doing this after you cut the box) Well, the box wasn't that bad. One corner was dinged, but there were 2 stickers on the front. At least the box wasn't crushed :)

I still see these at my local Walmart. I don't see any value in picking one up

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Got mine today too. Both were in good shape. They were both in the same box and packed better than usual, with brown paper and no air bags. Some slight creases on the front and back, but no dents, the corners were not crushed, and no stickers on the LEGO boxes. I've never received stickers on any LEGOS from Amazon. They are keepers. :-)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ aren't they $12 at your Walmart, like everywhere else after Xmas? I'd be surprised there'd by any left...
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    2x IS came today, one had the side tapes removed, both had large packing labels slapped directly on the box (unremoveable), on the front.

Yay Amazon.
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    CCC said:

To work out effectively
    tensor said:

2x IS came today, one had the side tapes removed, both had large packing labels slapped directly on the box (unremoveable), on the front.

Yay Amazon.

The labels should come off if you gently rub lemon juice onto them - but not to excess and leave for a minute, then apply heat from a hair dryer for 15 secs on and 15 secs off (as you carefully peel the label).

Dougout
  • ogelogelogelogel Member Posts: 47
    Got my 2 IS today too. One has some creases. Both set got the loose seal at one end (but not opened). Has anyone have experience with similar case?

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited January 2013
    ^^ Lighter fluid or isopropanol should do the trick aswell:)

^Really? Mine were easy enough to remove with a blow dryer, but it left some residue. Better than the box I got from Target awhile back. Somebody used mine as a stool.
    Wonder if the IS will have a spike in price when the original trilogy is released in 3d?
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Also received 2 Imperial Shuttles today. Boxes were in great condition (surprised) but as others have mentioned each had 2 big inventory type stickers on them. I'm not sure whether to try to remove them or not as they definitely look like they can cause some box damage. Either way glad I got them.
    ^One of my stickers was already half off and did cause a little damage, but the rest came off with heat from blow dryer as did the other one. No chemicals.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

CCC said:

To work out effectively
    tensor said:

Yay Amazon.

The labels should come off if you gently rub lemon juice onto them - but not to excess and leave for a minute, then apply heat from a hair dryer for 15 secs on and 15 secs off (as you carefully peel the label).

Lemon juice and patience won't save me here. I forgot to mention that one of the labels was already removed for me and replaced on the front of the box, so basically I have a big 2"x4" label (on the front, and a big label-shaped scar right next to it.

Btw, how many bags should be in the IS? (sorry if this has been asked already). Would be a great piece of info to add to the DB for all sets actually.
    FollowsClosely
    Does WD-40 work on removing stickers from LEGO boxes? It works on other - materials, glass, plastic, wood, even clear coat over paint on automobiles.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Pitfall69 said:

I still see these at my local Walmart. I don't see any value in picking one up

Why not? IMHO, this is one of the better value sets available this clearance season. Granted, there are a lot of them out there, but 5 minifigs plus an iconic SW vehicle for $12 is a sure bet in my estimation.
    ^I misspoke. I was talking more in terms of after market value.
    ^ Allow me to put it this way.

Anyone who has a large pile of 8092 that they purchased for $12, I'm happy to buy every one of them for $18, and I'll pay shipping on top of that.
    FollowsClosely
    edited January 2013
    Yup, I would buy all I could get for RRP or below. It's a classic set. And, although it was out for about 3 years and a ton were bought and sold... it's still a classic. May not double in RRP this year, but should next year. Course, I may be way off on how many people have stored away. That could skew things a bit. :-0

Pitfall69 has been lifting too many weights and doesn't want to carry around and lift a bunch of LEGOS now. :-) That's it! :-) Just kidding.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Pitfall69 said:

^I misspoke. I was talking more in terms of after market value.

That's what I thought you meant and that's what I was talking about. I think that this set has very good resale potential, particularly when bought at 50% off RRP. I bought almost every one that I found during the post-X-mas clearance sales.

^I guess I could be wrong. I just figured everyone and their brother had the set and that it would be a slow mover.

edited January 2013
    I must have missed something with all the talk about IS, MMV and everything else. I don't remember this set ever being mentioned at all. I guess I was wrong.
    cloaked7 said:

Yup, I would buy all I could get for RRP or below. It's a classic set. And, although it was out for about 3 years and a ton were bought and sold... it's still a classic. May not double in RRP this year, but should next year. Course, I may be way off on how many people have stored away. That could skew things a bit. :-0

Pitfall69 has been lifting too many weights and doesn't want to carry around and lift a bunch of LEGOS now. :-) That's it! :-) Just kidding.

No, go ahead. I deserve it. I have been a little distracted lately. I have another one on the way in a few weeks :-)

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    edited January 2013
    My son put his foot through my best looking IS.

He and my Great Dane came avalanching downstairs while I was wrapping it back up in shipping paper to box and store until he's old enough to HAVE HIS FEET ON THE GROUND and I said they should go upstairs until I was finished (because I didn't want my 140 lb beastly hound with feet bigger than mine and claws that make Freddy Krueger cringe to... You see?) and I went to get something off the table and he propels his 49 lbs nimbly upward and onto the mass of brown paper. I must love him because his 7th birthday is this weekend and there's still a good chance he'll make it.
    ^ I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. One more good IS box down the drain :( What can you do? If you are going to build the IS it shouldn't matter really...right. Unless you were going to switch that box for one that wasn't good either. That's what I did.

Pitfall69 said:

^ I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. One more good IS box down the drain :( What can you do? If you are going to build the IS it shouldn't matter really...right. Unless you were going to switch that box for one that wasn't good either. That's what I did.

Some collectors of any type tend to be extremely picky about condition, fingers crossed the two i bought are in good shape.

Those who are lucky enough to have perfect ones will certainly have an advantage in a few years time
    edited January 2013
    Same here. I've had stuff like that happen. D'oh!

When I was looking at Macbooks at the Apple store a couple of years ago the associate told me that her dog (not a Great Dane, but a big dog) stepped on her Macbook and bent the shell, broke the monitor glass and caved in the keyboard! Totally trashed. Your IS box just has some 'cosmetic damage', a 'mere flesh wound' I would say. That's all! :-)

Just think. Could be a lot worse. What if the dog liked to chew on LEGOS! (Image of Satchel from Get Fuzzy with some IS landing gear, or such, in his mouth!)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Got my pair of 10212s today. Not the best IS boxes I've received from amazon but not the worst either. Minumalcorner and edge scuffing and no labels, dents, or surface tears. One has a compression crease about 3 inches long emanating from lower right front corner. Second one has one running the whole back of the box from to to bottom. Neither is major but definitely noticeable at a glance

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    If every reseller here (and elsewhere) bought their IS from Amazon.com then it looks like there won't be that many mint boxes out there in the aftermarket.
    I actually have received a few IS sets from Amazon that aren't all that bad.

Mint? No, but not trashed either.

Mint is indeed rare on this set, I've picked up a few from the local LEGO store last year that were close, but even the Shop @ Home orders often come with some damage.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I believed (and still do) when the landspeeder came out that it would do well in the aftermarket. All of my kids wanted that set and my oldest even purchased one MIB to hold onto. It is an iconic set from the most watched movie of all the SW movies. It was out for a few years; however, it offers five popular minifigures and the speeder...all for only $25...no brainer.

On a related note, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that one of the future USC sets will be a landspeeder.
    My IS is arriving today from Amazon. I never have high hopes with anything they ship me partially due to them and partially due to UPS. Either way this set was purchased to build, so I am happy if the box only has a few dings.