Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    I am sure this question has been asked in one form or the other. Sorry about the duplicate:

Anyone tried buying a set to be discounted in advance and then have the price adjusted on the 26th (or while the sale is still on)? Does it require your set still in stock at the store for this to work? Thanks.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130

For "imperial frigate" did you mean "Republic Frigate?" Thats a much newer set, surprised it would be added to this sale.

-Dan
    Perhaps he means the Imperial Flagship
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Never been to the local Lego store on Dec 26th, any recommendations on what time to arrive?
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    @tk29 I would be there before it opens... I think it depends on where you live and if there are a lot of other AFOLs in your area... I went to my local store 30 minutes before it opened black friday and there was only 1 guy in front of me... thought he was going to clean out but he only got one set... We have 2 stores in the area, one opens at 8 and the other one at 9, so we are planning on hitting them both... I'm also planning on hitting walmart as soon as I wake up (I'm an early riser) and probably the local market too (they also sell legos) from what I have been able to gather in all these boards, the best deals might not be at the lego store.... Doing my homework today, "casing" as many stores as I can and checking inventory levels to get a better idea... Monday is going to be a busy day ;)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238
    Imperial Frigate (IF) = Pirate Ship
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    @coolpix - Thanks for the update!!! Can't wait to grab a few more sets at good prices. Then it's another year in a holding pattern (more or less).
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Well it looks like I will be picking up a Slave 1 monday, also. To me that was a waaay overpriced set. So lets see, my plan to pick up on monday is, and all at 50% off:

Winter Toy Shop x2(if any left)
    Slave 1
    MMV
    Republic Dropship
    Fallingwater(this will be on sale too)

It's nice to see that the City Space Theme is going, but shocked that Harbor Theme isn't as that was a terrible theme.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    I wouldn't count on a 50% off sale like last year. Lego seems to have done a much better job with their inventory management this year than last and is not left with a lot of sets that they need to cut that deeply to move.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    edited December 2011

....For "imperial frigate" did you mean "Republic Frigate?" Thats a much newer set, surprised it would be added to this sale....

Thanks for the information @coolpix, but yeah that confused me as well.
    So you mean the Imperial Flagship of the other?
    Also interesting to know that MMV will be discounted..... That alone should crash the LEGO servers at the start of the sale....
    Not sure if you asked about any other city sets, namely the bank, or the trains.

Then again others in other threads have stated that the MMV is NOT on sale...lol.... I guess we will know who contacts are better informed when the sale hits
    Also, I think I may go up on Monday for Toy Shoppes as the LEGO store by me had a ton of them after the Thanksgiving sale and I'm guessing they still do...
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I wouldn't count on the city space sets going anywhere. The airport collection is a goner, however.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    @Dato - I don't see why they wouldn't adjust the price. I guess I should have thought of that before I left town. Now I'm almost two hours away from the closest Lego store. I know I'd like to pick up the MMV and maybe an extra toy shop. I may still make still make the trip if I get some Lego gift cards for Xmas. I have $50 so far but not enough to make the trip.

Anyone want to shop for me? LOL!
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    ^ Wouldn't this be cheating Lego out of money? I mean if you buy a set fully intending to return/price match it later, wouldn't that preclude Lego the opportunity to sell it at full price to someone else who has no intentions of returning/pricematching it? Sounds shady to me.
    ^--- People look for all angles....
    ^ Wouldn't this be cheating Lego out of money? I mean if you buy a set fully intending to return/price match it later, wouldn't that preclude Lego the opportunity to sell it at full price to someone else who has no intentions of returning/pricematching it? Sounds shady to me.
    LEGO allows one to do it. They will price match discount. If they didn't want people doing it, they wouldn't have such a policy.

Some stores, like Target, indeed won't price match a clearance sale.

• pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    LEGO allows one to do it. They will price match discount. If they didn't want people doing it, they wouldn't have such a policy.

Oh OK it's within the letter of their policy, cool.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    edited December 2011
    Guys, I apologize, I meant "Imperial Flagship", not "Imperial Frigate" :-) That was confusing!

@pcirone - LOL! ;-)

@Pacific493 - I agree. I am counting on a 30% sale for Star Wars sets, and I don't see too many of them being discounted. City/Creator/Kingdoms/Castle/Ninjago/Atlantis should start at 50% off (hopefully).

@Ma123 - I think you're right about the Airport, and it's one of the sets I am looking for, specially at $50, and the blue Passenger Airplane at $20. I think space is gone too. I can see Harbor, even though it's not a very good theme, going for a bit longer, specially because of inventory, but Space is sold out everywhere here in South Florida, but the LEGO stores, and the selection is slim there.

If I don't come back today, MERRY XMAS EVERYONE! Don't stay up too late playing with LEGO! ;-)
    edited December 2011
    Merry Xmas to you too.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

Mind you I come from the perspective of a business owner, but just because it is within a policy to allow price matching a clearance sale does not mean they "want" people to do it. Rather they are trying to be flexible with their customers to make shopping easy. People "purposefully" taking advantage of such policies is precisely why so many businesses have increasingly become more stringent.

It's really a question of ethics, not what is permissible within a store's policy.

Lego has great customer service. Other than their store buying policies being a bit random at times, I have always had great experiences. And actually, if you contact them ahead of time about which products you would like to purchase, they are very accommodating. Once I emailed them about pieces I lost from a set I had purchased. No questions asked, they simply mailed me the pieces -- no charge. Even after I followed up that I lost the pieces "after" the purchase, they were still happy to help me out.

Sorry for the rant, but I just hate to see a companies great customer service taken advantage of.

Mind you I come from the perspective of a business owner, but just because it is within a policy to allow price matching a clearance sale does not mean they "want" people to do it. Rather they are trying to be flexible with their customers to make shopping easy. People "purposefully" taking advantage of such policies is precisely why so many businesses have increasingly become more stringent.

It's really a question of ethics, not what is permissible within a store's policy.

Lego has great customer service. Other than their store buying policies being a bit random at times, I have always had great experiences. And actually, if you contact them ahead of time about which products you would like to purchase, they are very accommodating. Once I emailed them about pieces I lost from a set I had purchased. No questions asked, they simply mailed me the pieces -- no charge. Even after I followed up that I lost the pieces "after" the purchase, they were still happy to help me out.

Sorry for the rant, but I just hate to see a companies great customer service taken advantage of.
    Do not be sorry. I agree with what you are saying... Just because there is a 'loophole' in their policy does not mean people should exploit it.. Especially if someone has a purposeful agenda to take advantage of a situation.
    edited December 2011

LEGO's price matching is part of that great customer service. A lot of stores have price match policies created for this very reason: don't worry about a near future sale, if it goes on sale in "x" days, you get your money back. It's not taking advantage of a single thing. The very reason major retailers create this policy is to encourage a customer to buy now, rather than later! Most customers are not savvy shoppers and won't keep up with future sales, so few use the policy.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

LEGO's price matching is part of that great customer service. A lot of stores have price match policies created for this very reason: don't worry about a near future sale, if it goes on sale in "x" days, you get your money back. It's not taking advantage of a single thing. The very reason major retailers create this policy is to encourage a customer to buy now, rather than later! Most customers are not savvy shoppers and won't keep up with future sales, so few use the policy.
    Totally agree. But, buying with the intent to hold a product over until the sale is not right.
    @Bosstone100 - Merry Xmas to you and your family too. I hope we can still get together at the LEGO store sometime and chat about this wonderful hobby.
    @coolpix - absolutely. Let me know how it goes at the Sawgrass store (if that's where you are going on Monday). Since it's a new store, they should pretty stocked up, even on the EOL stuff. Wish I could be there but out of town. Was thinking of hitting the Orlando store but it's still about 2 hours away on a terrible travel day too. I'll probably just see what they have online. I'm not looking to buy a ton of stuff having already spent quite a bit on Lego for my son, brother and of course myself.
    Yes, I am going to Sawgrass. Went there today to get the Batwing for one of my boys, and the store is fully stocked. Only missed City Corner on the shelves, since they had plenty of it last week and now it's gone. They still have everything else, and plenty of it. It's a tourist mall, so I don't see too many people going for the sale there early in the day. I don't plan to buy too much, since I don't have too much money after this Xmas, but I may grab a few large sets if they go for $50 each (MMV comes to mind).
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Merry Christmas to all my Lego brethren posting here on Brickset!

Totally agree. But, buying with the intent to hold a product over until the sale is not right.
    Except in order to get the price match, the item had to be marked down in that store's computer. If you buy out that store's stock and the item isn't in stock when the sale begins, you can't get a price match, as the computer wont be able to reflect the sale price. Stores aren't dumb. If it isn't there to go on clearance in the first place, no price match.
    Received my 2012 Lego catalog yesterday.
    I'm reading my new January 2012 Store Catalog and lots of interest...

Store exclusives = Fangpyre Wrecking Ball, FP mech, FP arena, City Police Offroad Command Ctr, City Fire Transporter, City Recycling Container Truck, Dino Ocean Interceptor, Batman Funhouse, Hillside House, Jedi Interceptor and Y-Wing.

For those hoping for discontinuation, also listed are VW Van, Shuttle Adventure/Expedition, FB, Pet Shop, GE, Tower Bridge, Maersk Train, Imperial Shuttle and DS.

Edit: ninja'ed!
    Looks like Cars theme is being continued as well, which is surprising.

No PotC, no HP, No AC, No PQ, No Hero Factory, No Atlantis, No TS, No PoP, but not listing these does not necessarily mean they won't be there.

Page after page of Ninjago, which is a series that hasn't interested me.

And TWO different pages featuring the new Kingdoms Joust, so TLG must have some investment in that one.

Didn't see any new BIG sets (>=$100) like the IF, SW sets, EN, etc., which surprises me a little. I guess the more expensive sets aren't the best idea in this economy.

Also noticed the new Series 6 MFs, which look decent as well.
    edited December 2011

And TWO different pages featuring the new Kingdoms Joust, so TLG must have some investment in that one.

Didn't see any new BIG sets (>=$100) like the IF, SW sets, EN, etc., which surprises me a little. I guess the more expensive sets aren't the best idea in this economy.

Also noticed the new Series 6 MFs, which look decent as well.
    Cannot wait for Series 6.
    As for the new sets, I think you hit it right on the head.
    LEGO is starting to cater to a weak economy by having smaller sets to come out, that and I think the bigger sets may be released later (because I cannot see LEGO not putting out ANY big SW sets in one year)
    But I think with LEGO this year, at least after seeing the 2012 sets coming out so far, you are getting more bang for the buck... Plus it will be a bit lighter on my Wallet, so I cannot complain, especially if City stuff is on sale tonight/tomorrow.
    As for the Jousting set, I have not seen a new Catalog yet (I guess the Postal worker is still looking at it) but I believe MMV had two pages devoted to it too at some point

If LEGO does not also do free shipping online then I may have to hold off and roll the dice at a B&M LEGO store to see if they have the sets I want.

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Is Joust supposed to be available in the US stores tomorrow?
    @sidersdd I believe that's UK only, and 1st January on the US, but I may be wrong.
    Well I think the website said Dec 26th, but not sure if the actual stores will have them

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Did Amazon really move through over 1000 Imperial Flagships since Thursday? They were showing 999+ when I left for the holidays, and now they're completely out? I was hoping they'd discount it a bit again (missed it the first time), but it seems like that actually backfired.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Did Amazon really move through over 1000 Imperial Flagships since Thursday? They were showing 999+ when I left for the holidays, and now they're completely out? I was hoping they'd discount it a bit again (missed it the first time), but it seems like that actually backfired.
    No. Even when their system was giving the warning message of "Only 18 left in stock . . .," the sales system would allow you to add 999 to your cart.

• dremel99dremel99 Member Posts: 123
    Agreed, it always showed 999+ could be added to your cart even when they were down to only 4. Who knows what went wrong, I really doubt they are getting any more in either.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Huh. Oh well. Anyone interested in getting one at a semi-normal prices, Target still has them available online. Looks like there's about 30 left. Just picked one up there myself.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Winter Toy Shop 10199 prices have been surging. Cleared out on TRU, Target, TLG.com and elsewhere. Found some on Bricklink sealed for $65 (U.S. based) - still a few left. After that it's looking like $90+.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Any Idea on how long the Tantive IV 10198 will be around for? I wanna get a few, but hopefully they go on sale first
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    @dougout now on sale on [email protected], will not be in production anymore, grab it while you can...
    @dougout now on sale on [email protected], will not be in production anymore, grab it while you can...
    Really? How much? It still shows full 149.99 for me
    Actually I think its not on sale because its not in stock till January 12 for me. Oh well
    edited December 2011
    Somewhat disappointing after-Christmas sale...

Early on in this thread, I mentioned that I thought last year's BF sale was better than last year's after-Christmas sale (at least regarding [email protected]). There were a couple responses to my comments that emphatically stated that my comment was not the case, nor would it be this year. I am so glad I followed my gut instinct and grabbed what I could on the BF sale. Note for posterity's sake: The 2011 BF sale was many times better than the 2011 after-Christmas sale...especially where larger sets were concerned...because some larger classic sets were EOL'd during the BF sale.

Apparently, TLG was smarter this year from a business standpoint by EOLing with Black Friday sales. It allowed them to get more sales for their 2011 revenue numbers and likely realize higher profits than they would have after-Christmas.

I did go ahead and grab a couple Winter sets each to hold onto for the kids, although they won't EOL'd. Couldn't resist the Zurg sets, cards, and magnets to hand out as gifts for good grades in school. I was surprised the MMV wasn't on sale. I guess they are just going to EOL it through natural sales.

It's kind of sad to see the Kingdoms/Castle stuff go. I really liked those series. The IF and EN will be missed, and I expect their after market prices to increase (substantially at some point). I am surprised the FB was not EOL'd...perhaps there will be some sales on it within a few months.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Yes very disappointing compared to last year. I think I will head to Fred Meyer this morning and see if there is anything on sale there. If you had told me that was where I would be 12/26/11 this time last year I would have said you were crazy. Hoping to score some Hoth Battlepacks at a good price.

This will surely make Black Friday 2012 a complete zoo. This time last year I was walking thru the door with a good haul of Venators, Home Ones and Midi ISD's all 50% off. Good times :)
    We are supposed to be getting our first Lego B&M store this Spring. As much as I can't believe I am saying this and the thought abhors me, I will likely be up early on Black Friday to hit the sale in 2012. TLG [email protected] is so convenient, but all good things must come to an end. By then, the Grand Emporium, Death Star, and maybe even the Tower Bridge may be on sale at good prices, and I can't afford to miss it.
    Yeah, well if this rumor of a New Years sale for LEGO holds true maybe they are just weeding out the small fries in place of the bigger sets...
    I will say the one bargain is the Pyramid sets (if my order goes through) for only 4 bucks per set...
    Has anyone put an order in for Pyramids only to see it listed as 'backordered'? Just wondering if LEGOs status in the sale pages are off and even though they show 'available' they really are backordered?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    My Ramses Pyramids were backordered as well. Didn't this happen a lot on BF, with all of them being subsequently cancelled, and then items appeared in-stock with people successfully ordering them?
    Well I had an order for me go immediately into 'Customer service' status when I tried to buy something that was most likely gone (more ENs) so I am hoping this is different....
    This told me they were on backorder immediately, so hopefully this means that I will get them... but who knows...
    edited December 2011
    Just arrived from my local store. Sale items were the same as the site, but since the thread is about items selling out, let's go to it:

After going to the store at least 20 times since it opened in November, the managers finally started to acknowledge me as a frequent customer, and one of them approached me while I was asking an employee about Fire Brigade, (if they have many in stock). I returned mine last week in the hopes that it would be discounted today, but as most people know, it wasn't, so I was pondering on whether I should buy it back now or wait a bit longer, maybe for a new year's sale. Anyway, the manager told me they have not got any shipments for FB since the initial shipment to open the store, and they were down to only 3 of those. He told me TLG does not disclose anything to Store Managers in advance, and they are pretty unpredictable, even for them. I asked about MMV, and he said that one also has not had any new shipments since the store's opening.

If you put that information together with the fact that LEGO managed their strategy pretty well at Black Friday and Xmas, it's safe to assume that these will be EOL'd without a significant sale, if any. I don't think these will last through 2012's Black Friday, so I grabbed one of each with the LEGO Gift Card for $300 my wife gave me this Xmas. I topped it all off with a Winter Bakery and that was it. I am not willing to risk loosing these awesome exclusives for a bunch of regular sets at only 20% off.

My advice for those waiting on a sale to get these two particular sets (FB and MMV): DON'T. Go grab yours now, if you don't want to pay a premium on eBay when they are gone. I have a strong feeling that FB may be gone before Dec. 31st.
    @coolpix - How was the stock of Atlantis and Phoroah's Quest at the Sawgrass store? I got some as presents and was considering picking up the other sets I don't have. Not sure I should since I'd only be doing it to complete the theme and there is so much stuff coming out this year. It's a good time to be an AFOL.

I still would need to pick up all of 2010s Atlantis sets and they may not be the best use of the limited funds I have. Decisions. Decisions.
    edited December 2011
    @Bosstone100 They had no Pharaoh's Quest stuff there, which was odd, since they had plenty last week, but Super Heroes took it's space on the shelves. I don't think it sold out like that. It's probably in the back room marked to come back to their warehouse or something. They still had plenty of Atlantis, at the same sale prices as S&H, however I did not paid too much attention, since it's one of the themes I don't really collect, unless the sets are at more than 50% off.

If you are coming back this week, I suggest you go to the store quickly and take a look. A lot of sets were going out quick today, like all Winter sets, City Transportation (I am sad I did not grabbed that one, but FB has the advantage over it), and all Star Wars on sale were down to 2 or 3 of each, except for the Battle Packs.

And I agree... it's a great time to be an AFOL. Too bad the finances do not allow me having everything I'd like so I have to pick the ones I like best...
    @coolpix - Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask them about the PQ stuff. I was never sold on Atlantis. Parts of it I like but others I don't. There may just be too much I don't have and it would be very expensive to pick it all up. I have the Winter sets so I probably won't pick up dupes unless I can convince myself I'll do a couple of MOCs. The plan this year is to pick up the Super Heroes. I'm not sure about LOTR. I'm not a big fan but all those elves, dwarves and orcs sound interesting. Dino is a big maybe.

If, for some reason a City Transportation gets returned or something, do you want me to pick it up for you?