Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    For Canadians looking for the IS, TRU.ca has them for $319 each.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    FatMatt said:

86....okay I'm done

I'll take over. ;)

wait, no... 75... and that wasn't me, I bought 2 more this morning... would love to buy more, but Amazon won't let me. :)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Pitfall69 said:

So, your rankings go as follows:

1. UCS MF
    2. IS
    3. DS

To be clear, you mean the Death Star that's currently on sale?

Yes and Yes.
    edited January 2013
    There are costs involved in buying a set (like the IS) below RRP and storing it for more than a year. And, costs involved if you pay RRP, but that full RRP is offset if you buy the last week it is available. You don't have to store it very long, relatively speaking.
    ^ This...

Buying it for 20% off a year before it retires is not really a better deal than buying it the week of retirement for full price.

Down to 72 left. :)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    IS will do well long term. The sequels come out in 2.5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the OT ships make re-appearances. I also think there is more of a chance that the MF UCS gets re-done before the the IS.
    Look what all this talk made me do. I ordered another one. Now I get to see my wife's eyes roll! Errrr.... again... Thanks a bunch. :-)
    ^ You're welcome, send me $50 when you sell it for a $200 profit in a year... :)
    FollowsClosely
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

^ This...

Buying it for 20% off a year before it retires is not really a better deal than buying it the week of retirement for full price.

Down to 72 left. :)

Or you could of bought it for 20% off last month. Or be as lucky as me and get it for 50% off ; )
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    Can someone tell me how this goldbox stuff works? I keep hearing people say it showed up in their goldbox at a reduced price?
    And, another one bites the dust. She'll probably smack me this time. Or worse! I got my 2 customer limit. :-)
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    ^Basically, Amazon will offer you a random selection of items at a varying discount each day when you click on the "Today's Deals" link on the main page. What shows up is based on a number of factors, such as recent purchases, what's on your wish list, and if you have added something to your cart and then later removed it.

The list shows up near the bottom of the page.
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    ^ thanks, I just checked it out. I had never noticed it before. Figures it's all baby related stuff since my wife buys all our babies food and diapers on my account!
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2013
    ^ My experiences with amazon goldbox is that if you purchase or search a certain product then related items will be shown at goldbox deal. You log in your account and click 'Today's deal' on the top. Bottom of the page will display a list of goldbox deals. I usually get lego deals but not all the time though. Some people suggested that to add a certain items in the wish list does the trick but I never succeeded in that way. So it's pretty random. You just need to check everyday to see what's available for the day. You get 5% discount for goldbox deals. Hope this helps.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    People. Please stop. Just stop with the temptation. Just. Stop.
    :)
    (okay, my fleet of 3 Imperial Shuttle's will have to suffice.)

I rarely get a goldbox deal on something I've already purchased. But, do see items that are on my wishlist show up. Also, items related to what I have bought before, like other LEGO sets.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950
    64, Amazon has cut me off.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    Now after reading the complete thread(!!) since weeks I'm on board, too to live through in real time this EOL event. Cheers!

66 left
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 441
    Agh, just have one. The biggest dilemma. Open and build, keep sealed and not build, buy another one?

Anyone has an used one or beat up box one that would care to sell me? ;)

64 left by the way.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,896

^Those two were mine. Definitely gonna get a smacking for that.

People. Please stop. Just stop with the temptation. Just. Stop.
    :)
    (okay, my fleet of 3 Imperial Shuttle's will have to suffice.)

63 left... :)
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 441
    :P sorry, didn't want to sound to angry (I guess I was a bit annoyed)

I don't know why I thought I had seen you posting about the IS in a handful of threads.

But don't worry, it's a great set, and there are about 63 left till EOL ;)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    mathew said:

Or you could of bought it for 20% off last month. Or be as lucky as me and get it for 50% off ; )

TRU has had IS at 25% off quite often over the past 3 months. Margins too small for me at RRP.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,896
    edited January 2013
    It can sit in my storage facility for 5 years. No rush. Sometimes buying at a discount can get you to rush sell for a quick profit. Whereas buying at RRP forces a true wait for good profit.

What I'm really trying to say is that I'm kicking myself for not buying in the fall / earlier this month at 25% off!

When it comes down to it, there isn't another SW set (DS abstaining) active I see nearly the potential in as I do with UCS IS, even at retail.

Remember people, these are poorly-worded opinions from a Lego maniac. YMMV.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited January 2013
    ^I don't know, I'm putting my money on Malevolence:).........57
    Yeah, same here. But, in my case I have to manage my cash flow. I too would have rather got them at a discount, but I can't always buy sets when they are on sale. I'm OK with getting a couple of them for RRP right before EOL.
    legoprodsLegoFanTexas
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Yes, 57, I drank the kool aid.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    I have a feeling we are going to be out of kool-aid before the day is through.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950
    A quick drop to 50.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Arrrgggg!!!! I didn;t have one and you rogues talked me into it, the last one bought is coming to me!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,327
    So tempted to go for another...

The force is strong with this one.
    45, going fast now...
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Yeah, everyone logged in BS are buying them curently! @Huw should get a kick back on days like this.
    Like watching the ball drop at New Years. Well, except that it falls a lot
    s-l-o-w-e-rrrrr. :-)
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Are we close to 100% sure this is Amazons last stock?
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    No. We're just entertaining ourselves having a countdown.
    cloaked7LegoFanTexasFatMattRTO
    I think the count is below 50 on Amazon.us Will be gone soon.
    edited January 2013
    ROTFL It better be the last of the stock! :-) My wife will have my head as it isn't. My only argument was gonna be 'there were only a handful left in the WHOLE world!'
    ^I've got some sparkling grape juice to pop and bottlerockets sitting besides me.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I have NO room for more. Something has to go....bed? Desk? Kitchen appliances?
    cloaked7LegoFanTexasUKtsumi
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Wife.
    wagnerml2cloaked7BuriedinBricksChang405LegoFanTexasFatMattFollowsCloselyPenkid11RTO
    Way ahead of you. I've already jettisoned all of that 'unimportant stuff'. Bed? Desk? Pfft. That stuff just takes up valuable space!
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 112
    I got it down to 30
    ^So itisu
    BrickarmorPenkid11RTO
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Seems like a rate of one every 2-3 minutes. Let's take bets on Zero Hour. I say 6:04 EST.