Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited December 2012

Guys is unimog eol? What are predictions for future value?

I think that set will still be here into next year, its lego's technic flagship product at the moment and until a new one comes along i think itll be staying

My bet is the supercar should do well, its the best one yet until another is released although cant imagine itll be anytime soon
  • rmarkworthrmarkworth Member Posts: 88

I have an extra Elrond mini fig and an extra TC-14. When's the best time to unload these puppies and what's the best forum for doing so?

Best time?
    Maybe in 2 years.
    But in 5 years, you'll get more money.
    And if you wait 10 years, you'll get even more money.
    Not to imagine the money you'll get in 20 years.
    (or 50/100 years...)
    sadowsk1nerick906
    edited December 2012

I have an extra Elrond mini fig and an extra TC-14. When's the best time to unload these puppies and what's the best forum for doing so?

Best time?
    Maybe in 2 years.
    (or 50/100 years...)
    Will Lego still be as popular in 20 years time than it is today and will sets hold Their value and some more or will new and innovative parts make them less desireable? Thats the question id like to know;), if so resellers could be millionaires if they could afford to keep their stock for that long :D
  • littlepuppilittlepuppi Member Posts: 181
    Thanks for the feedback on unimog :)

Thanks for the feedback on unimog :)

Your welcome littlepuppi:)

Thats just my opinion though, it may well not last till the end of the year, maybe LFT has an idea?
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    edited December 2012

Best time?
    Maybe in 2 years.
    (or 50/100 years...)
    For Elrond, I'd say sell now, and reinvest in another game with Elrond. And sell the game. And repeat.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk Member Posts: 633

^ Probably around $35, a week before Christmas

Perhaps...

There are still several large sellers who have thousands of these...

I've been slowly selling mine off because of this, I think it is near the top. While it might go higher, it only takes one large seller deciding to unload to turn it all back down.

It is 2.5x RRP just a few months after it came out, what more do you want? :)
    Looks like LLoyd is hovering around $29, just 3 weeks before Christmas...

I keep wondering how the spinners will sell next year once Chima is in full force..
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 Member Posts: 11,454
    edited December 2012
    CCC said:

Best time?
    Maybe in 2 years.
    (or 50/100 years...)
    For Elrond, I'd say sell now, and reinvest in another game with Elrond. And sell the game. And repeat.
    I sense great sarcasm in the force.

In reality, it's not always the best policy to hold onto a Lego set in hopes that it will make you more money in the future. A set may go up in value, but if that set isn't keeping up with inflation, you might lose money the longer you hold onto it. Some sets reach their max quickly and some gain value over time.

As far as Elrond, I'd go with what @CCC said. Even if these Lego minifigures go up in value, how much more are you going to get? A 5% return on $30 is far less than a 5% return on a $250 Lego set. It's common sense really.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^^ @dragonhawk I don't see Lloyd consistently selling for $29. I see it consistently selling for $23-25 and often with free shipping. Maybe it will make it to $29. It's all about supply and demand. It is selling briskly, but to LFT's point, there may be 100's out there. My guess is the same - that there are 100's still out there to sell.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    ^ That is correct, except replace hundreds with thousands... :)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    So did we come to a census here on whether or not "The Zombies" is on its last leg? Meaning its out of production and what is left is it? Just trying to figure if I should dump them for Christmas or hold on . . .
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    They don't seem to be available in Europe. Any suggestions how someone in the UK can get hold of a few sets from US shop.lego.com?
  • FatMattFatMatt Member Posts: 502
    ^Move to the US.
    KanohimadforLEGOPenkid11Pitfall69
  • SharifaSharifa Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the replies to my query about the Star Wars planet sets! I can see why they might not do well, hadn't thought about how very common they are now, and how they'd be difficult to keep stored in good condition. If they go on sale at a really low price I might pick some up and then if they don't go up in value at all I'll have some nice Christmas tree ornaments!

Any thoughts on the little Friends sets? They'd be easier to store at least.

I'll look into the polybags, they might be good to start out with. I've only ever seen them at Toys R Us, last night I saw a small number of a City polybag, and a much larger amount of one with Gandalf in it. Are their polybags marked up like most everything else there?

My problem with investing in large sets is that if I have enough to get one, even on sale, I would rather buy one for my personal use instead. I am waiting for after-Christmas sales in hopes of finding some good deals on the sets that I want that are predicted to go EOL, but I won't have enough to get doubles so I can keep one MISB and build the other, which is what I'd really like to be able to do. Well, maybe if I just choose ONE set (possibly two). There's so many I want though, how to decide??!

I'll go ahead and list them, perhaps you all can let me know which are more likely to go astronomical, or less likely to actually EOL soon, and help me narrow down my wish list: 10193 MMV, 10216 WV Bakery, 10217 DA, 21005 Fallingwater, 10211GE, 10197 FB, 10228 Haunted House (it is showing out of stock at [email protected] USA, will this be a seasonal item like the WV sets?)
    And I'm also quite interested in the recently EOL'd 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge, 2507 Fire Temple, and 8043 Motorized Excavator (for my husband who loves Technic- wish I could have gotten it while it was on sale at TRU just the other day)

It's gonna be quite a challenge whittling down this list! So, yeah, any suggestions would be much appreciated! Apologies for the excessively long post!
  • prevereprevere Member Posts: 2,923
    I think the transition into Chima will keep Ninjago relevant. Frankly I don't think Chima will capture boys' imagination like Ninjago has, IMHO. The animal vehicle sets are lame.

I know some kids that are just now getting into Ninjago. I don't have the heart to try to explain (to them or their parents) that it's going to be tougher to find the Fire Temple or favorite dragon in 12 months.
    @Sharifa In all honesty, if this is something you want to get into you should read the "whole" thread. If that seems too much I would suggest this may not be for you as the interest level may not be there. Most, if not all, people who are successful at this are pretty passionate about it. They didn't get there by simply asking a couple questions and acting on them. They read "everything" they can find relating to the product. By "at least" reading this whole thread you will find your answers and have a better understanding of "why".

My other suggestion would be to research Lego on Ebay. Look up "any" set you have interest in or think would do well. Here you will get a lot of "speculation". On Ebay, you will get hard facts of what different sets "have done" and are doing now.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Member Posts: 873
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the nonsarcastic feedback. Much appreciated.

(The beauty of the above statement is that it is offered sincerely to those who provided sincere feedback and sarcastically to those who offered sarcastic feedback ;) ).
    SharifaCam_n_Stu
    ^^ I did read the whole thread.
    I'm not sure how I gave the impression of not having read the entire thread, which I have. I guess I am coming across as too noob, and for that I apologize. I will back out of the forum then. Reselling probably is truly not for me, but not due to lack of interest or enthusiasm but because I cannot afford to get started.
    edited December 2012
    WVB has been sold out at [email protected] since last night, and was not carried in [email protected] stores as far as I am aware. Besides Amazon, is the set carried anywhere else? If it is truly gone, we should see a very fast climb at least until Christmas, as I'm sure many were holding out still. I certainly did not expect it to sell out until after Christmas.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad Member Posts: 1,337
    FatMatt said:

WVB has been sold out at [email protected] since last night, and was not carried in [email protected] stores as far as I am aware. Besides Amazon, is the set carried anywhere else? If it is truly gone, we should see a very fast climb at least until Christmas, as I'm sure many were holding out still. I certainly did not expect it to sell out until after Christmas.

My local lego store has always had a ton of these. [email protected] is says available for me. I would expect at least 1 more year out of this set. Sets typically disappear from [email protected] overseas first before discontinuing in the USA...it is on backorder overseas....I don;t see it going anytime soon.
  • dougtsdougts Member Posts: 4,110
    edited December 2012
    are you sure you are talking about 10216? It's sold out:
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Bakery-10216

Most (I thought all?) LEGO B/M stores got zero of these shipped to them at all this year - what they had still in stock from last year is what they had. I suspect what was left in the North American [email protected] warehouse was what was available for online sale this year as well - TLG made a conscious decision not to resupply the retail stores and sell it as online only. In this case, saying it typically sells out overseas first is probably not indicative of anything other than the North American warehouse had less and/or sold more than the European one. They won't be shipping any more over to North America, so what is left in the supply chain is all there is. I feel 90%+ confident in making this statement.

Also, since we are from the same area, I know for 100% fact that the Tigard store never once had any of these in stock all season long.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad Member Posts: 1,337
    ^ Oh sorry thought it read VWB....VW bus lol....maybe I need to start wearing my glasses. Yep my local store is Tigard and I did not see them their either....I would expect this set to be gone by the end of this year....Im steering clear tho.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    With you, @doriansdad, @dougts and I can confirm Tigards lack of WVB stock threefold ;o)

It's quite sad actually. I was hoping to get WVB discounted at the end of the year.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    FatMatt said:

I know TRU and Target carried them at one point or another, but they've been long sold out through those stores, as well.
  • atxleeatxlee Member Posts: 155
    I am glad I got the WVB during the Christmas promo or else I will have missed out on this... Creepy...

The lego store in my area didn't have this set, which was why I had ordered it online.
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 126
    Sharifa said:

I'm not sure how I gave the impression of not having read the entire thread, which I have. I guess I am coming across as too noob, and for that I apologize. I will back out of the forum then. Reselling probably is truly not for me, but not due to lack of interest or enthusiasm but because I cannot afford to get started.

Don't back out! And don't get discouraged by some overly harsh feedback (looking at you @gmpirate). No one can determine what is for you or not for you other than YOU. Personally, I admire your entrepreneurial spirit!

As far as smaller sets go, I think you are on to something with the Friends sets. That line is already doing very well and I think it's popularity could go parabolic from here, especially considering that we haven't even been through an actual Christmas with it yet. Tens of thousands of girls are going to be introduced to Friends here in a few weeks and, if my daughter is any indicator, they will become huge fans. Then more again next Christmas. They will want to try to gather entire collections, meaning that they will then look to add sets that EOL'd prior to their becoming infatuated, meaning that the value of sets released in early 2012 will appreciate handsomely, in my opinion.

Olivia's house should do well, but I believe that's over your price point. On the other end of the spectrum, the really small sets may seem a little too common and get overlooked. The sweet spot might be something like Olivia's Treehouse - unique, memorable, highly playable set, great value for the money at RRP and you might be able to find a deal on them before they are gone.

Actually, having now checked my facts, the treehouse is sold out online in the US on [email protected], Amazon, Target and TRU. Looks like it is in fact going EOL as we speak. But it's still available at Walmart.com! At 5% off (plus another 5% with Shop Discover)! Also likely still in a number of B&M stores.

I hesitate to make such a specific recommendation, but this really seems like the perfect storm for your price point. They are likely to start appreciating very soon after purchase since they are almost gone, which a hugely important component of efficient investing (ask anyone who's been sitting on a few death stars for over two years).

That's my two cents. Ignore the haters. Best of luck.
    sadowsk1
    ^ I don't think treehouse is going EOL, I suspect the shortage is just the seasonal holiday problem. Look for restocking early in 2013, along with other items from phase 1. I suspect anything going EOL will be the small sets from wave 1 only ($7 and $10 sets).

that said, most retailers have limited shelf space, so i would expect wave 1 friends items to only be restocked at TRU and online retailers (and Lego stores of course)
    Sharifa said:

I'm just getting started and have somewhat limited funds, so I'm thinking of starting out with smaller, less expensive sets. Any thoughts on the resale value of those little Star Wars sets with the planets? I'm thinking they might do well, but my husband thinks they won't. Also thinking the little Friends sets may be worthwhile. Any others to consider? Also any general advice on reselling smaller sets/reselling on a limited budget would be appreciated.

Sharifa,
    First off good luck. Here's my take on your questions. First off, the main key is research. scout pricing constantly. track what kinds of things are hot and what aren't. look for good sales - that will be as important (likely more) than final selling value. You have to develop your own feeling for what is going to gain in value and what isn't, and in what timeline is suitable for you.

Focusing on small sets is going to be much harder overall than the large sets - which, let's be honest, almost all go up in value. With the large sets it's largely about getting them on sale and determining which ones are going to go up faster and higher than others. the small sets are a whole other animal. Is there an after EOL market or did everyone who wanted one get one because they were so cheap to begin with? did some major re-seller grab up 1000 of item X at 75% off? I think the small sets are much more hit and miss. For every winner there are likely 5 losers. How are you going to pick the winner? Good question - I have no idea.

I had the same thought about the planet sets, then quickly decided everyone and their brother will have a stack of them sitting in the closet. As far as the small friends sets go - look at the store shelves constantly at multiple places. what SKUs are fully stocked and which always seem to be empty or near-empty? this might be a clue. city vehicles might be a decent bet - some of the ones from wave one seem to be having a short shelf life and have been popular. can they go from $20 to $40? possibly.

Ultimately, doing well reselling is about 4 things:

1. Money to invest. Sounds like you don't have a lot of this, so you are somewhat handicapped to start
    2. Time to research research research. this is the most important. ultimately, you have to do you homework. this is probably the most under-appreciated aspect to reselling
    3. Instinct for what will sell and what won't. this will improve the longer you are doing it, but some of this is of course just innate to the individual.
    4. luck. yes, luck. it's always a factor. you can mitigate it largely using the other 3 points, but it's still there.

good luck!

@itsnotme My reply was not meant to be harsh, but rather straight forward and honest. Her questions did not strike me as coming from someone who has read and researched a lot, but was ready to spend some money. Reading this whole thread, and grasping it, is much more valuable than just telling someone if we "think" set A or B will go "astronomical".
    This "business" is highly competitive. It takes lots of research and time, yet still we "miss the boat" on picking up sets. The information provided here is free to use as you wish, but in the world of investing, it takes money and lot's of it. If you can't risk the money to invest then this really isn't for you.
    edited December 2012
    Btw. Has anyone that is new to this topic thread read all 159 pages??? Based on the number of words on each page I would think it would be the same as reading "The Hobbit".......twice and less interesting ;)
    thenosFollowsCloselyLegoFanTexassadowsk1
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor Member Posts: 1,258
    Lucky me, I started last year when we were only 40-50 pages young.... Just in time to realize I totally missed out on EN and IF. But it does provide some perspective on the cries of "BUY DS AND FB NOW!!!!!!!!" that were pretty rampant then.
    Deadareus
    Thought everyone would like to know TRU is down to the bottom o' barrel on shipping boxes. This is exactly how I received my 8043 Excavator.:) I could fit two bodies in there......errr. Actually, I used it to store 8 Excavators, and still had room to pad both ends with bubble packets.
    itsnotme- Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I did overreact. After some thought I decided I won't quit before I even get started. I don't see myself as "entrepreneurial" in the least, but thank you so much for saying that! Since I can't get anyone to hire me and am sick of being poor, I may have to get over my natural risk-aversion and lack of confidence and learn how to be one! I will definitely consider Olivia's Treehouse, thanks for the suggestion. :)

dougts- Thank you for the advice. I can see your point about smaller sets. It is true I am rather handicapped on the money front, but I do have tons of time, and have been researching constantly in the past few weeks. Hopefully something will come of it in time.

I'm really just looking to get to a point where I can afford the sets I want before they go EOL, I certainly don't think this'll be a way to "get rich quick" or whatever. This year I won't be able to get all the sets I want, but I'm trying to change this for the future and thought reselling might be a way to help get there. When I said "astronomical" in regards to the sets I'm considering, it was more a matter of "what is most likely to be completely unaffordable for me once it goes EOL, so I'd better get it now" rather than "what will get me the most money soonest without having to do any research". And I know it's all speculation anyway, there's no way to know for sure.

However, from reading this thread (and as I said before I really have read all 159 pages!), I've learnt that many FB sets have been stockpiled and that it's been out for much longer than expected, so it may be safe to wait on that one even if it goes EOL this month. Same with MMV. I probably can just make the decision on my own, but just thought it'd be good to have input from those more experienced at this.

If I'm lucky I'll have around $400 USD to spend, and I'm planning to buy two sets in the $100 range and an extra copy of each to set aside to sell later. (I sold some of my belongings and earned that amount, planning to use it to invest in Lego but my husband convinced me to spend it on more urgent and practical things. He promised he'd return the amount from his paycheck in time for after-Christmas, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.)
    TRU on eBay currently has 4867 for $49.99 with free shipping for anyone that still needs it. I'd guess this is the last shot to get it at retail.
    TRU most likely has thousands of them given the stockpiles I've seen in the stores.
    And I still seen them in Lego stores . . .
    edited December 2012
    Interesting. They're gone everywhere by me, and I don't think I turned up any online, either, but sounds like they may be plentiful in other areas.
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    edited December 2012
    I picked up 5 at my closest WM for $20 each last week.
    ^^ I'm just a little north of you. Problem with TRU, is that they are asking $70 a pop for those sets in stores, which is the current Ebay price.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,332
    edited December 2012
    Sharifa said:

itsnotme- Thanks for the ...

dougts- Thank you for the advice. I can see your point about smaller sets. It is true I am rather handicapped on the money front, but I do have tons of time, and have been researching constantly in the past few weeks. Hopefully something will come of it ...

If you are low on cash, but high on time: then buy good quality used lots on Craigslist. Clean the blocks, assemble sets and sell them as used but complete sets. You can easily triple your money, with little risk. It does take a lot of time, but you have that.
    Pitfall69 said:

CCC said:

Best time?
    Maybe in 2 years.
    (or 50/100 years...)
    I sense great sarcasm in the force.

In reality, it's not always the best policy to hold onto a Lego set in hopes that it will make you more money in the future. A set may go up in value, but if that set isn't keeping up with inflation, you might lose money the longer you hold onto it. Some sets reach their max quickly and some gain value over time.

As far as Elrond, I'd go with what @CCC said. Even if these Lego minifigures go up in value, how much more are you going to get? A 5% return on $30 is far less than a 5% return on a $250 Lego set. It's common sense really.
    No sarcasm was meant. Elrond poly plus game sold separately nets more money than it costs to buy both. Lets say you make $5 on the initial $30 outlay for the game and minifig (or whatever it costs). Do that ten times in ten weeks, and for your initial outlay of $30, you make $50. Buy one and hold it for a year, you will probably make $5-10 at the end of that year. Of course, there is work involved. But if you only start with $30 and keep reinvesting then you will make more than investing in one item and holding it. Even if you have only $30 to start, after six times, you have enough to invest in two, so you can speed it up a bit as well, if you can keep selling it.

Christmas is also a big factor. I reckon sets like Minecraft will drop in value after Christmas, just because you don't have the buyers wanting them for presents. Of course, people may hold out for pre-Xmas prices, but sales will be significantly slower then too. It may well go up long term, but it is not one for me to hold on to. There is little value in the set as parts (for me) if I am stuck with it. And tbh I wouldn't even pay $25 for a set for a personal copy, let alone what they are selling for on ebay.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,634
    @Sharifa another thing to consider, rather than deciding "I will buy set X and start there" try going to Walmart and Target after Christmas clearance and seeing what you can find. Buy the leftover Batcave for $30 or the Helm's Deep hidden on top of the clearance aisle for $50 or whatever gems you can come across. Then also just keep a close watch on the forum here for deals and offers that spring up every so often. This way you can get the 'big' sets with the same $$ you would have spent on a few small sets at or near RRP. Plus, the clearance items are most likely at or near retirement so they will start increasing in value quicker. Another bonus, is if you get one that doesn't do so good, o well, you got a $90 set for half off, you can still break even easy enough or keep it for your own enjoyment.

Plus, the clearance items are most likely at or near retirement so they will start increasing in value quicker. Another bonus, is if you get one that doesn't do so good, o well, you got a $90 set for half off, you can still break even easy enough or keep it for your own enjoyment.

Or they are such dogs, and the reason they are on clearance is that no-one wants them. So make sure if you do buy a set just because it is cheap, make sure it is one you will enjoy.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,634
    ^true I forgot that point, I always limit my resell buys to sets I would not mind keeping if they do not pan out. Last summer I passed on extremely cheap PotC sets at WalMart because I didn't want them and didn't want to be stuck with them if the market for them never materializes.
    ^ I think the Pirates theme is very underappreciated. Other than the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge, I think Whitecap Bay and London Escape are greats sets and I think they will do well in the future. The other smaller sets are overpriced, but if you can get them on clearance they might make you some money especially when the new movie comes out.
    @CCC I wasn't talking about your post :)

Sharifa said:

itsnotme- Thanks for the ...

dougts- Thank you for the advice. I can see your point about smaller sets. It is true I am rather handicapped on the money front, but I do have tons of time, and have been researching constantly in the past few weeks. Hopefully something will come of it ...

If you are low on cash, but high on time: then buy good quality used lots on Craigslist. Clean the blocks, assemble sets and sell them as used but complete sets. You can easily triple your money, with little risk. It does take a lot of time, but you have that.
    This is a great way to make money. It does take a lot if time, but I think it is a great way to play with Lego and make money at the same time. I've been putting together older Harry Potter sets and I have been making great money. Garage sales and Thrift Stores and even Craigslist are great places to get cheap Lego, but I think people are getting wise and I'm finding it harder to find a great deal on Craigslist.

Pitfall69 said:

Garage sales and Thrift Stores and even Craigslist are great places to get cheap Lego, but I think people are getting wise and I'm finding it harder to find a great deal on Craigslist.

Aye, there may be some lots to sort (meaning lots of work) but I find most things on Craigslist pretty over-priced.