Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• bamaker1bamaker1 North TexasMember Posts: 27
    What's everyone's opinion on 4842 Hogwarts Castle? It's on the U.S. TRU website for $149.99 ($20 above MSRP). Is it worth it to pick it up at that price due to the pending EOL? Do most of you think it will do as well as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd renditions of Hogwarts?
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Well in the uk hogwarts castle has risen 50% since eol
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,004
    @bamaker1 It is cheaper on Amazon unless they have sold out in the last day or two. I think they had it for $119.99
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Amazon was down to $115.99, only a few left in stock too...
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Black Pearl is gone from Amazon again as well. It seems LEGO has done a much better job this year of getting the desirable sets sold before they had to go to heavy markdowns.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited November 2012
    ^I guess we will see if DA gets discounted. BTW, Maersk is back to $105 on Amazon for those who don't know. May be the last chance to find them at this price.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    bamaker1 said:

What's everyone's opinion on 4842 Hogwarts Castle? It's on the U.S. TRU website for $149.99 ($20 above MSRP). Is it worth it to pick it up at that price due to the pending EOL? Do most of you think it will do as well as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd renditions of Hogwarts?

It is currently included in the $25 off $100 @ TRU, so it is $125. Offer not so good if you want multiples. I suppose if you are in the US you get free shipping so you can do multiple orders if they let you.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    The Zombies no longer shown on [email protected] It appears as though this is the first of Monster Fighters to go. Not surprising I guess considering it was a Target (?) exclusive outside of [email protected]

Glad I snagged one when I did.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited November 2012
    ^ Target is offering the Zombies for $30 ($40 rrp) until Wednesday although the chance of getting one is pretty slim
    Target is showing they will be restocking in 2-4 weeks, so I'm not sure they are done.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^ And take another $5 off at Target.com with code TGURD63S. Good thru 11/21. Zombies for $25. Red Card is another 5% off and free shipping.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I can't ever find the zombies at Target..

I'm curious about 4842 as well. I had a bunch but I slowly sold them all off. I kept one built and one sealed for myself.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

I'm curious about 4842 as well. I had a bunch but I slowly sold them all off. I kept one built and one sealed for myself.

Its just a City set. $40 made it a "why not" but I wouldn't consider it otherwise.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Are you sure that is a City set? 4842 is Hogwarts Castle. Of course, why you'd sell them all off now is beyond me. I'd think that next year they'll be $200ish...

I have been known to be wrong of course. :)
    ^ Oops, was thinking of 4204.

And yeah, I'm sure 4842 will do very well in time. Every HP set I've looked into has done well. Even the ones that have been replaced/redone.
    Somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse :).

^ Are you sure that is a City set? 4842 is Hogwarts Castle. Of course, why you'd sell them all off now is beyond me. I'd think that next year they'll be $200ish...

I have been known to be wrong of course. :)

The reason I wonder is because it's been available longer than say the Burrow or 4841. The castle and Hagrid's hut are still in stores around here. Same with the Knight Bus and sometimes the Quidditch set.
    ^ The previous castle, 4378, was clearanced anywhere from 33% to 66% off and look at the current prices. Even though it wasn't the first or the last. $130 is a tougher price point, which may explain the extra inventory, and Knight Bus & Quidditch were made in mass quantities because of their price point. But look at what the previous Knight Bus is going for.
    Nothing is guaranteed, but if you at least buy the HP stuff at discount I just can't see anyone going wrong. Maybe one or two sets take longer to appreciate than one hopes, but I can't see loosing money on them. There really is nothing better imo. Modulars and UCS stuff will do well also, but I think its safe to say they will take longer to appreciate given their price point, and require more of your cash on the sidelines.
    I'll always wonder why Lego would go years without producing an HP set during it's hey day.. I know they were in between movies(sometimes, but not all the time) but HP is one of the greatest and strongest franchises ever built.
  • tekrontekron USAMember Posts: 7
    Deadareus said:

The Zombies no longer shown on [email protected] It appears as though this is the first of Monster Fighters to go. Not surprising I guess considering it was a Target (?) exclusive outside of [email protected]

Glad I snagged one when I did.

I believe its still there, it looks like they forgot to add the Monster Fighters tag.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Zombies-9465
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    it is gone from European website....
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Exclusive sets like the Zombies usually go for 2 years. I would be surprised if they dump this at end of this year. More like middle of next year.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ or they only go for a couple of months like City House and the Helicopter and Limo.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    That's a good point.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^At retail stores shelf space looks to be ceded from Ninjago and MF to Chima and Galaxy Squad. Simply no room. Although MF may stay a bit into '13 depending on what Dino does. Much as I want more MF, much as it seems like just came out, most cues point to EOL. Just please god not the Haunted House, not yet...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,004
    Well the HH has been in the top 25 sellers list since it came out on [email protected] in the U.S. and it is 'will ship in 30 days' right now. No way Lego will kill off a hot seller that quickly. They would be crazy to EOL it now. Only reason it goes away is to come back out next Autumn the way the Winter Village sets do.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I don't know why anyone thinks the haunted house will EOL or disappear... It's a 10xxx exclusive set. It will be around for 2+ years like every other 10xxx set.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I am trying to find some info on 9465 The Zombies. It seems to have disappeared from everywhere in the UK, including the official Lego site. V.strange?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    IS now appears to be "sold out" on [email protected] UK

• DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    richo said:

I am trying to find some info on 9465 The Zombies. It seems to have disappeared from everywhere in the UK, including the official Lego site. V.strange?

It did go whilst Argos had their 3 for 2. That was the time to buy it at £20 each because they had it at £29.99.

Dad said:

richo said:

It did go whilst Argos had their 3 for 2. That was the time to buy it at £20 each because they had it at £29.99.

It wasn't really something I wanted multiples of at the time, but you are absolutely right, a cracking price, and probably a great set to have picked up a few spares of. I actually got 3 Morias for £31.66 each, so that was my lot for the Argos promotion!
    Zombies at Target.com are on backorder now.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

^At retail stores shelf space looks to be ceded from Ninjago and MF to Chima and Galaxy Squad. Simply no room. Although MF may stay a bit into '13 depending on what Dino does. Much as I want more MF, much as it seems like just came out, most cues point to EOL. Just please god not the Haunted House, not yet...

There are absolutely zero clues that it is EOLing now. Monster Fighters will last through 2013; and might go longer because there is a cartoon pilot based on the franchise in development for Cartoon Network.

IS now appears to be "sold out" on [email protected] UK

So much for The Death Star going first!
    FollowsClosely
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    richo said:

Dad said:

richo said:

It wasn't really something I wanted multiples of at the time, but you are absolutely right, a cracking price, and probably a great set to have picked up a few spares of. I actually got 3 Morias for £31.66 each, so that was my lot for the Argos promotion!
    And to be fair I only got 2!! I bought a lot of stuff that weekend, not just lego. The deal I got from the nice lady was one of the boxes was damaged so I refused it but I had spent an awful lot so she just refunded me that at £29.99 so I got my 2 for £15 each!!. She knew what she was doing too I must add. Did think about having a day chasing them all down from various Argos but didn't have it in my heart.

^^The Death Star will outlive all of us.

Actually, I think a possibility could be, A) The DS gets retired; B) TLG launches a smaller, $150 Death Star, kind of like the small Hogwarts that came out in #4867.
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Ma1234 said:

There are absolutely zero clues that it is EOLing now. Monster Fighters will last through 2013; and might go longer because there is a cartoon pilot based on the franchise in development for Cartoon Network.

Where is the news on the pilot? I think Monster Fighter is done. (same with Dino)

Just like Alien Conquest and Pharaoh's Quest. 1 year of releases.

I hope to be buying lots of Monster Fighters on Walmart clearance after December.

Zombies have been on backorder at Target since Sunday when the sale at $30 USD started.
    pharmjod
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    prevere said:

^^The Death Star will outlive all of us.

Actually, I think a possibility could be, A) The DS gets retired; B) TLG launches a smaller, $150 Death Star, kind of like the small Hogwarts that came out in #4867.

I hope so. Actually what would be even better is that TLG institutes some kind of "flagship" or "classic" tag to the DS and never discontinues it. Instead, they update the minifigs and keep the price point the same.

edited November 2012
    Say goodbye to discounted Maersk from Amazon.....and it "should" only go up from here, unless they plan to clear stock within the next few weeks, though I don't see them having too many left.
    IS for $230 on Amazon.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012

Ma1234 said:

Where is the news on the pilot? I think Monster Fighter is done. (same with Dino)

Just like Alien Conquest and Pharaoh's Quest. 1 year of releases.

I hope to be buying lots of Monster Fighters on Walmart clearance after December.

Zombies have been on backorder at Target since Sunday when the sale at $30 USD started.
    It's not done. It continues for 2013 - retailers can still order them! The fact that a set at 25% off (great deal) is backordered is moot. I hope to find them at 50% off at Wal*Mart, too, but Wal*Mart (and Target) has a habit of discounting everything, not just discontinued merchandise. I'm not saying there will be new sets - there is nothing for the first half of 2013 - but the current line will continue to be available readily into Christmas 2013.

The pilot was talked about in a trade paper a while back. I don't know if it's happening - haven't heard anything about it lately (I work in the TV industry).

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited November 2012
    FatMatt said:

Say goodbye to discounted Maersk from Amazon.....and it "should" only go up from here, unless they plan to clear stock within the next few weeks, though I don't see them having too many left.

Was just going to mention the Maersk train, I jumped on these at the last minute it appears, I grabbed 4 from TRU yesterday with $25 off $100+. They are no longer available for ship-to-home from TRU, only available in stores.

I checked Lego [email protected], only the US & Canada sites actually have them and they are both listed as Sold Out. All the other [email protected] sites I checked did not even have them listed any more.

Looking at amazon.com this morning (They will not ship this item to Australia), they still have them in stock for $119.99, but all the third party sellers on Amazon are priced at $155+, only third party sellers have them on the EU Amazon sites as well.

• SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    so chuffed I snagged a couple of extra imperial shuttles for £169 each last week.
    All HP sets now showing sold out at [email protected] except DA.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    Anyone living in NYC, the Brooklyn Target had plenty of Zombies left on the shelf when I picked up mine after work today.
    murphquake
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited November 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the TB is going to be EOL'd this year. I know it's a long shot, but it's been out a couple years now. If it's part of the BF sale this year, I am guessing it will be listed at $180...and I would grab one at that price.

The VW Bus may be another possibility this BF...
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Can everyone alert Amazon that IS is $220.00 at Target. :-)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the TB is going to be EOL'd this year. I know it's a long shot, but it's been out a couple years now. If it's part of the BF sale this year, I am guessing it will be listed at $180...and I would grab one at that price.

The VW Bus may be another possibility this BF...

I thought about that as well, and I noticed that the VW Bus is about 102 at Amazon right now.

^Been there for around 2 months now.