Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    edited August 2012
    There have been so many Fire and Police stations throughout the years, but I don't own a single one. It it time?
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    edited August 2012
    ^ there was a 1.5 year delay between the last 2 airports, so I wouldn't bet on that. The airport is not like the police and fire station in that regard.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Just get the Fire Brigade Modular before it's too late. You can do no better.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    thornie said:

^ Just get the Fire Brigade Modular before it's too late. You can do no better.

Agree 100%. None of the city fire stations even compare. If you need more garage space, just buy two copies.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I'm not so worried about missing out on City theme sets since it seems there is always a new one to replace it within a year or so. I wouldn't fret about missing a Police station. Hopefully Lego will create a police HQ modular building along the lines of Fire Brigade. Something that isn't modern but has a nice vintage charm to it.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Oh yea, I forgot I had the FB. Now crossing my fingers for a modular police station.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    A modular police HQ is so obvious, I'm sure it has been worked on, or talked about, within TLG.

Will it come out next year, or the year after, we don't know, but I have to believe it will be done sooner or later.
    edit: I don't think if I were TLG I would do Police modular next year. After the Town Hall, I think a theater or something else non-core would be a nice break, otherwise the line starts to look like a fancy CITY theme, rather than its own thing.

So perhaps police HQ in 2014?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    A theatre would be really cool, or a museum, the list is totally endless:)
    Yes, I think they should keep the "fancy CITY copies" to a minimum.

Of course, I also think they should release 2 modulars a year, but that is just me.

Something else I'd like to see... A fancier subscription like Brickmaster, but for boxed sets. I'd be happy to sign up for something that was $50 a month, where a new set in a specific planned line came every month. It is always fun to get surprises in the mail. :)
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I'd love a larger apartment building -- not a rowhouse, but rather a full apartment, complete with a buzzer box at the entrance, a doorman and lobby, and then multiple apartments above.

I'd love a larger apartment building -- not a rowhouse, but rather a full apartment, complete with a buzzer box at the entrance, a doorman and lobby, and then multiple apartments above.

Yeah we need some sort of apartment building :)

Just wish I had decent mocing skills in ldd:(

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ Yes, Airport is just another repeat set. I remember Target had thousands of them on clearance the last time around.
    For me the hard thing to figure is how much to buy in October for double points vs waiting for what's on sale during BF.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Me too...especially if there's a decent deal to be had in October.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    Are all purchases double points in October? Is it online and in store?

Are all purchases double points in October? Is it online and in store?

The past two years it has been online and in store, on everything. I can't imagine that will change.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    But with BF sales, everything has typically been on sale for 10% off and free shipping. The BF sale is equivalent to the October double points in that both ultimately result in 10% off and both provide free shipping. The big difference is that TLG will also put the items they are EOLing on sale at 25% off or more, which is what makes the BF sale better in my opinion. Last years BF sale saw the Imperial Flagship and the Emerald Night train (among many others) on sale at 25% off plus another 10% off plus free shipping plus VIP points for what you did pay. Kind of a no-brainer in my opinion...
  • GodspeedGodspeed Member Posts: 14
    Can I expect the Imperial Shuttle and Fire Brigade to be included in the 25% off OEL discount during BF sales? I want to purchase them but plan on waiting.
    Godspeed said:

Can I expect the Imperial Shuttle and Fire Brigade to be included in the 25% off OEL discount during BF sales? I want to purchase them but plan on waiting.

If memory serves, Green Grocer was marked as 25% off when it EOLed in 2010, but my understanding is that the set was out of stock before that point so almost no one actually got one at that price.

I have no idea on IS, if it goes 25% off on BF, I don't expect it will last long, but who really knows...

Perhaps a better question is... If you plan to buy for resale, do you want FB at full retail price, or not at all? Right now, 18 months post EOL on Green Grocer, does it really matter if you paid $150 or $112.50 for it? Ok, sure it matters, but really, given that the set is worth over $500 18 months later, you'd do fine either way.

Of course, given this history, FB might not repeat this since everyone and their brother has a copy now.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Does the BF sale typically start at midnight?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^I bought GG at 20% off, but I don't remember it ever being in stock at 25%.

Lego pulled some strange stuff a year ago when they had the Grand Carousel on sale, but it had been gone for awhile and it caused a stir.
    ^ Ah, but be on the lookout for when people return items that are currently on sale but no longer in inventory. I lucked out a few times with that -- AT-AT and IF in particularly.
    gmpirate said:

^ Ah, but be on the lookout for when people return items that are currently on sale but no longer in inventory. I lucked out a few times with that -- AT-AT and IF in particularly.

In Jan of this year I found a few items at my local Lego store that way, got another copy of IF that way, got a Technic Container Truck that way, and a few other small items.

I tried to get the store manager to just call me whenever such sets came back in, but her reply was that if she did that, she'd have a dozen people wanting to be on that "list". :)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    slip her a $50 :)
    pharmjod said:

slip her a $50 :)

:) Tried that one, didn't work... She just gave me a "look".

She actually said that she didn't want to risk her job over such things, she was paid well enough after bonuses to not make any side deals worth doing, and that she actually has her job because the prior store manager was doing those sorts of things and was fired for it.

She is very nice and friendly, but generally sticks pretty hard to the rules. I do see an attempt at fairness there, so I really can't complain.
    Godspeed said:

Nobody knows what is going to be on sale at this point (probably including TLG). Last year, I seem to remember that the sales list was leaked several hours early on some websites. The only item I've heard was going to be EOL'd was the Winter Bakery, but even that can be changed at TLG's whim. If you want either set you mentioned, you can get it now at full price (or perhaps slightly better on Amazon), wait until October and get double points (if it's still available), or see what happens on BF. Nobody on this site knows what is going to happen and don't believe them if they say they do...
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,385
    I don't know if I'm allowed to break a little bit off topic here, but I've got a question that has to deal with a set of minifigures.

I've got a pair of very rare LEGO minifigures in a sealed ziploc baggie (came with it when "released") right now, and I can't decide whether to risk taking them out for the first time, or just leave them in the baggie where I can't display them all to well (and they have a chance to rock into each other if the bag is moved). The baggie doesn't have a real seal on it though (it's basically a ziploc) so the person might have taken them out before me, I really don't know.... I'm just struggling to bring myself to opening them, knowing that it might possibly be me ripping them out of their bag for the first time and destroying some value of them that may not even exist. Do you think any value is destroyed if I take it out of the ziploc baggie and display them? Thus, I can never market them as "sealed". Or do you think it does no harm, since it's a ziploc and I can just put it back in the baggie with no one able to tell the difference that the bag has been opened?

An example would be if you opened a chrome c-3po, there you can tell the bag has been opened, in this case with the figures I have right now you can't.

Thoughts? And mods please move or delete if this is to off topic for this thread.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    Open them, or sell them.

Open them, or sell them.

I wish it was that simple, but it's more complicated than that in my view.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Well honestly with ziplocs no one can tell if it's NIB. I am a collector of Lego and love displaying them. I have all the SW polybag figs and obtained a second set to have nib and display. Only items I have nib of. All my other sets have been built.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    To keep it on subject I have the second sealed set to maintain their market value. The ones out of bag I keep in individual display cases to have them protected and maintain market value of an open set.
    Drmnez said:

Well honestly with ziplocs no one can tell if it's NIB.

Exactly my point. So if that's the case, can I take them out of the bag and display them without destroying any of their value?
    samiam391 said:

Drmnez said:

Exactly my point. So if that's the case, can I take them out of the bag and display them without destroying any of their value?
    Has Lego even ever released minifigs in ziploc bags?, can't say ive ever heard of them doing that:/
    edited August 2012
    samiam391 said:

Drmnez said:

Has Lego even ever released minifigs in ziploc bags?, can't say ive ever heard of them doing that:/
    Yes, just two. They are "decorated" ziploc bags though. ;-)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120409232928/lego/images/4/47/Lego_2012_new_york_toy_fair_preview.jpg

That baggie in the background that the figures are laying on has a "Ziploc seal" and nothing else.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^Technically, they were handled at time of manufacturing when they were assembled and put into the bag. I am assuming it was done by employees and not a "minifigure assembling/put in ziplock bagie" machine:). I dont see any loss in value with displaying them as long as that is all you do with them, and I would advise putting them in an acrylic case to prevent dust build up, etc. If they stay in the exact condition they are in now, they should not drop in value at all, same goes for the bag as well as I would think that adds to the value.
  • sadowsk1sadowsk1 Member Posts: 124
    Display and enjoy them!
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I agree. If there is no "seal" to break then by all means display them.
    FatMatt said:

^Technically, they were handled at time of manufacturing when they were assembled and put into the bag. I am assuming it was done by employees and not a "minifigure assembling/put in ziplock bagie" machine:).

You just made my day. Time to put them on display! :-)

• The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2012
    samiam391 said:

Yes, just two. They are "decorated" ziploc bags though. ;-)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120409232928/lego/images/4/47/Lego_2012_new_york_toy_fair_preview.jpg

That baggie in the background that the figures are laying on has a "Ziploc seal" and nothing else.

I have this Austin Store opening set... http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=Austin-1 It was released in a plain ziploc style bag also... So that's more than just two...
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    ^^ i would also say put them on display! BUT i think that in the moment you place the figures on a plate(with studs)they are technically not "new" any more! It's like a set that's beeing sold as "has never been put together"compared to a set that "has been built once"! The holes in the feet of the figures have been technically used!
    Any thoughts on Mindstorms?

For a $280 set, I continue to see this among the best selling items Lego makes, it seems there is a huge market for this set.

Since the current set came out in 2009, and was a replacement for NXT that came out in 2006, it feels like we're due for an upgrade, but if we get 3.0, does that mean that 2.0 won't really have value?

Did anyone buy or care about the first gen 2006 set once the 2.0 set came out?

Finally, does anyone have one to sell? I have a friend who asked me about this, he has never built Lego before, but he saw a few videos of this on Youtube and I told him I'd look around for one, but I can't find any deals on it. New or used is fine, so long as it is all there and clean.
    Diggydoes said:

^^ i would also say put them on display! BUT i think that in the moment you place the figures on a plate(with studs)they are technically not "new" any more! It's like a set that's beeing sold as "has never been put together"compared to a set that "has been built once"! The holes in the feet of the figures have been technically used!

@Diggydoes- I would still consider them new. It'd be nice if you could compare figures to sets, but you really can't. With figures, it's more of if you have "played with them", that they become used. If you pull the figure out of a set, and immediately stick it in a display case, it's still "brand new" condition. It's when you begin to play with them, that they develop wear and tear (cracks, scratches, etc..) and lose their minty new shine.
    Any thoughts on Mindstorms?

For a $280 set, I continue to see this among the best selling items Lego makes, it seems there is a huge market for this set.

Since the current set came out in 2009, and was a replacement for NXT that came out in 2006, it feels like we're due for an upgrade, but if we get 3.0, does that mean that 2.0 won't really have value?

Did anyone buy or care about the first gen 2006 set once the 2.0 set came out?

Finally, does anyone have one to sell? I have a friend who asked me about this, he has never built Lego before, but he saw a few videos of this on Youtube and I told him I'd look around for one, but I can't find any deals on it. New or used is fine, so long as it is all there and clean.

It's exactly that... since it is selling so well, LEGO will eventually make an upgrade for it. It's like any piece of technology (except it is LEGO which makes it 2X as good), in with the new out with the old. A regular old Xbox doesn't sell nearly as many new copies with the Xbox 360 now out. So will it be with mindstorms technology, 2.0 won't sell as well after 3.0 comes out with all the improvements and new features it will have. Since it is selling so well, you have to think LEGO comes out with an even better version (because of the general themes popularity) when 2.0 sales begin to dwindle down.

Just my $.02...

I wish I could help you with a copy, I had one recently, but it sold incredibly fast!
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Our local university here in Missouri had a "Youth Lego Robotics" Class this summer. It was a week long program (5 days, 3 hours each day). It was for 10-14 year olds. My son (who is 10) was a bit disappointed when we went in on the first day and they were using the Mindstorms 1.0 educational version. He, however, had a great week and learned a lot. That's not hard though because we virtually knew nothing about mindstorms before this.

I told him that the 3.0 should be coming out soon and that we could probably get the 2.0 for maybe half price. But I really don't know, I'm just speculating. I hate to lay out $280 for a 3 year old version, when it comes to this.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    My thoughts are that the Fire Brigade is heading out, but will it reach a decent sales price? Only if a large number are in stock.

I found out that it was being discontinued because many pieces were in grab bags at a Lego store I recently visited, and I said, "ooh, you broke apart the Fire Brigade to fill grab bags." Person working said, "yeah, had to replace it because it is being discontinued soon." Then they caught themselves and said, "well, not sure exactly when it is being discontinued." They looked around like a deer in headlights, and creeped away from me as if they'd broken a golden rule.
    ^ Yea, and store employees this time last year were saying the same thing.

Keep in mind that they have no better idea than we do when a set is going out. Often, it is easier to say "yea, it is going out, better buy one now" than anything else.

^ Yea, and store employees this time last year were saying the same thing.

Keep in mind that they have no better idea than we do when a set is going out. Often, it is easier to say "yea, it is going out, better buy one now" than anything else.

But surely it has to be discontinued this year or sometime around the start of next year, are lego really going to have 5 modulars on the go once the next one comes out?

Maybe Lego are just too reluctant to let exclusives be discontinued to stop them losing out on money:P
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    I've a keen ear to which ones know and which ones speculate ;) that's all I am willing to say beyond this point. Trust me, I caught the one I trust quite off guard.
    krklint said:

I've a keen ear to which ones know and which ones speculate ;) that's all I am willing to say beyond this point. Trust me, I caught the one I trust quite off guard.

My understanding is that none of the store employees know anything, store managers included, EOL information is closely held, other than the printed list that is provided to dealers, which many of us get to see, but those dates aren't firm and often are long and short on various sets.

Of course I could be wrong. :)