Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Well...got an email from TLG today stating that I would not be receiving my Winter Toy Shop. Oh well...I plan to give the kids one each when they go out on their own, and I have no doubt they will be collector's items by then.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    @savage_steel: a UK LEGO store, or do you mean another retailer?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Looks like the City Fire Truck (7239) may be gone. I'm really glad I got one during the sale as my son really wanted one for Christmas. I wavered and then pulled the trigger...just glad I did.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878
    It's fun guessing, just like the guys on Wall Street do. :)
  • tbennet2tbennet2 Member Posts: 17
    Pretty good source at Lego store in Cleveland, OH stated FB is being retired and they would not getting anymore shipments. I guess they could be wrong? Only time will tell.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    The DS is out of stcok at Amazon and Lego [email protected] in the US. It will not be instock at [email protected] until after Christmas. I would say a good time to sell on ebay, if you have a couple hanging around, is now, if you can express ship to deliver before Christmas.
  • dremel99dremel99 Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2011
    I doubt you can make any money yet on Death Star selling it on Ebay. Even if you could sell it now for 500.00 it would be breakeven. If I order one on Amazon it costs me about 434.00 with tax.

If I sell it on Ebay for 500.00, Ebay fees are 34.50 and Paypal fees are 15.53, leaving me with 449.00, I paid 434.00, my profit is 15.00.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    Sorry if I bring a bad news (or a good news)....but...Just got hold of my friend who got a toy store in France and he told me: 10197 and 10188 will be on the catalogue next year...
    The only big sets he knows 100% are going away at the end of this year are:
    10195, 10198, 10210 and 10199....
    Hum.. so according to your source, I am 100% right on my predictions: FB and DS staying for another year. Now, I suppose your source does not say anything about Emerald Night, does it? It looks like it's going to retire, but who knows?

If I sell it on Ebay for 500.00, Ebay fees are 34.50 and Paypal fees are 15.53, leaving me with 449.00, I paid 434.00, my profit is 15.00.
    Not to mention whatever you'd charge for express shipping such a heavy box... you'd probably break even, or loose money on it. I say if you have a couple stored, save them. You may not make any money this Xmas, but if this set retires next year, you'll get triple what you paid back within a few months.

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 947
    Well...got an email from TLG today stating that I would not be receiving my Winter Toy Shop. Oh well...I plan to give the kids one each when they go out on their own, and I have no doubt they will be collector's items by then.
    Noooooooooo!

I literally just hit the order button, waiting for confirmation to come through. I'll be gutted if it's cancelled.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Noooooooooo!

I literally just hit the order button, waiting for confirmation to come through. I'll be gutted if it's cancelled.
    Just call any LEGO Store. They all take phone orders. The Glendale store in Los Angeles had a whole stockpile this morning.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The Lego Store in Southcoast (Orange County, CA) also had a ton on the floor when I was in during the weekend.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    @rocao - no just another retailer. Like I said, not a definitive, but more of an indication that they're on their last legs
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 136
    Are you in the US or in the UK?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I think there is a speculation bubble on the DS.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @brickmatic - you might well be right, but I've been watching the 3rd party sales on Amazon the past two days, there were a bunch for sale int he $440 to $480 range, then it jumped to $500, now $519 + shipping is the lowest priced option. I figure that at least a few dozen at these higher price points have sold, and I'm sure eBay is now moving them as well, since [email protected] is sold out until after Christmas.

The question is, is now the time to move some of the "saved" sets while the window is open, or is it going and they should be "saved" longer.

For all we know, come January, Amazon will have another 50,000 of these sets in stock, then anyone who is holding them will be holding them for yet another year. The really bad part is that if this set stays, those 50,000 sets won't sell very fast because resellers won't buy any more for awhile, having been burned expecting this set to sell out now.

One final point... my local Lego store is overrun with Death Stars, they have them piled to the roof in the back room. Funny that they are stuffing the stores with them now, yet are sold out online.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Doesn't seem like a very opportunistic window. I mean, did you really hoard Death Stars to sell them for a profit of ~$50-75 each? Money is money, I suppose. But the return doesn't seem worth the hassle of selling/shipping right now.

If someone bought some sets to resell during the "sold out" periods over the upcoming year where the price goes up 20% over retail, that's one thing. But I imagine most of you bought with 200% returns in mind, or more. Just lock them away for five years or so. =)

It isn't the $50 profit that I'm thinking of, it is the $400 tied up the in the set.

I've now got 7 of these sitting around, that is almost $3K in dead money doing nothing until they retire.

If I sell them all now for a $50 profit each, I've really put $3K back into my pocket. If they are still around in a year, nothing says I can't rebuy them and save them at that point.

Sometimes in business you make sales, not to make a profit, but to recover COGS (cost of goods sold), and even sometimes not all of it, just some of it.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    12.5% is a pretty good return. A lot better than the markets right now.
    12.5% isn't bad, until you consider the time, effort, and risk involved, then it is terrible.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Sell half of them and then put the other half into T Bills. :o)
    edited December 2011
    @LegoFanTexas I'd look at it this way: Do you expect to loose money on these 7 DS sets in the next 12 months? No. Do you need these $3000 now? Probably not. Why not do this long term investment (2 to 4 years), and score a 500% profit on them? You'll have about $11k in 2-3 years probably as profit, so I don't see why so much anxiety and pessimism. The ones making money out of these exclusives, have kept them for quite some time. Cafe Corner retired almost 2 years ago. UCS Falcon a little over 2 years ago, if I am not mistaken, and whoever was patient and still have them MISB is making pretty good money on them right now.

My suggestion: If you don't need the money for something else, keep these sets, and buy more if you can when they become available again, and you'll have a lot more in return then you expect. Just be patient because this will be a hot seller when it retires.

I am saving a bunch of smaller sets for over a year now ($20 to $100 sets), to resell when they retire, being the biggest one the Battle of Endor. I am in no hurry to sell them, and god knows I needed the money in a couple of occasions this year. I hope to buy even more $100+ sets on the 26th and forget them on my garage for another 2-3 years hoping they'll reach a certain level when I can actually sell them for a 300% profit.

Relax and keep them. If you sell now, you've wasted time, effort and took no risk. If you wait, you'll not regret, because the time and effort will pay off.
    Panics and sell offs are what crashes markets ;)
    @coolpix - You are of course right, however keep in mind that my justification to my wife for buying all this is that I'll create a self-funding hobby. I've probably gone a bit overboard in that dept, and honestly some of the stuff I bought for "investment" will end up in our own pile.

Right now, I have a MISB Cafe Corner and Green Grocer that are in the "investment pile", but secretly I'm hoping to just move them to the "build" pile at some point, once I sell enough other stuff to break even.

If she sees 7 Death Stars that she knows very well what they cost just sit there for a year or more, I might not have such an understanding wife at that point. :)

Happy wife, happy life... true words... :)
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 947
    Just call any LEGO Store. They all take phone orders. The Glendale store in Los Angeles had a whole stockpile this morning.
    Thanks, do stores accept international orders over the phone? I might ring up a UK store if they do. I got a confirmation email from [email protected] but the order is still processing. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's honoured, but at the same time I've added a few eBay listings to my watch list.
    I guess what really bothers me is that I ordered this set when it was 25% off plus I got the 10% off when I ordered >$149. Yet I have to call a store to purchase it at full price? If TLG ships from stores, why can't they make good using those sets for those who ordered in good faith through their [email protected] site?

Just in principal of the deal, I probably won't be ordering at full price from a store. If I have to do that I will just order it from Amazon.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Amazon.fr have the toy store and ship internationally.
    @LegoFanTexas I understand you perfectly. I have an understanding wife as well, as long as I feed her addiction of shoes and purses, I can buy all the LEGO I want :-)

I do have both piles as well, a build and a re-sell pile, and from time to time I move sets from one pile to the other just like you do, assembling kits that originally were supposed to be sold in the future. I've started hoarding in a smaller scale exactly 1 year ago, and by now, I haven't sold anything, and she does not believe I ever will, so now when I try the "I am going to resell this for 3x the original price" she goes "Yeah, right!" on me. But most of the sets I have a fairly recent, thus not achieving that point in which I could have a profit on them.

Maybe you could explain her that these sets need a bit more time to "mature" in stock, so you can get optimum return on the investment. Others you can resell right away, like the XXL boxes that gave a 100% return 1 day after thanksgiving. Put some DS sets up on eBay for $600 or more, and since you probably have a good feedback, you may have someone that does not live near a LEGO store to buy it from you. Unload 3-4 sets and keep the rest for longer.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Interesting to consider that at least three of the top posters in this thread, who buy lots of LEGO, have only really started hoarding in the past 12 months. I had started another thread:

Speculation in the LEGO Market: Akin to Tulip Mania & The Housing Bubble?

I've seen this in other markets - baseball cards and the housing market, where there was a point where a broader audience woke up and realized that there is a viable economy here. EG: how many people will be saving multiples of Emerald Night MIB vs having done so with Sante Fe back in the early 2000s?

Another great topic that is being discussed here is "Spouses of AFOLs: How to Keep Them From Divorcing You." :)
    @brickupdate - darn it, I don't like it when other people point out things that I should have thought of first.

Your one comment may keep me from buying so much in the after Christmas sales... You're right, I've only been doing this for a year, and only seriously for a few months. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Baseball cards aren't the same as Lego, but the same economic principles apply, to a point. The difference of course is that baseball cards never had the mainstream following that Lego does, look at this week's Toys R Us ad in the paper, multiple Lego deals front and center. Walk into a Toys R Us store, the whole right wall is Lego, two more isles are Lego.

Go into Target and Walmart, both stores have 2 full isles devoted to Lego.

Baseball cards never commanded THAT... If nothing else, you'll have parents to sell the sets to who will give them to kids for birthday/christmas/whatever.

However, you're right, the profits may just not show up. I should have seen baseball cards death the minute that Topps started selling complete season boxed sets to consumers. That defeats the whole point of "collecting" cards in baseball card packs for kids, trying to find that "rare" card to trade with friends for another "rare" card, when you can just buy the whole season and be done with it.
    Not to stray too far off topic, but I used to be heavy into the baseball card collecting and it is very similar to LEGO buying and selling. The best thing that happened to the baseball card market was limited run autographed and memorabilia cards. I see this as being very comparable to limited run sets or sets that people simply were not around to get.

I'm not saying that the Fire Brigade, Imperial Flag Ship, Emerald Night, ect won't increase in value if they are MSIB. It is natural that they will because the supply won't be there. I just don't think it will increase as quickly with all of the outlets to purchase them once the are soldout on LEGO. Again that is pure speculation. I was in my dark ages for the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner.

I also think the used market will take a significant hit unless it is a unique piece, IE tan windows for the Emerald Night. It is the only set with them.

Kyle
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    While I have some DSs sitting around, and would be happy to see it retire, I am in the camp that this will probably be around at least another year. From the conversations I have had at the local store, this set still sells better than any of the other big SW Lego sets. As a business then, why discontinue it?

I would be very surprised however if FB sticks around through the end of next year. Maybe it stays for another few months post-Xmas, but if it's not gone by summer, I would be surprised. There isn't room in my local Lego store to display four modular buildings.

I will say that Lego should continue to retire even desired sets since it adds to the whole mystique of the brand. I think the practice encourages higher sales too since I'm sure we have all had that set or two that we are on the fence about but get anyway since we figure it will be EOL'd and we don't want to regret not getting it later.

And changing up the EOL dates from the typical two years likely helps the re-seller in the long run. A few more like the DS or if FB sticks around another year, then no one knows when they should be buying/hoarding, and there aren't but so many people out there that can tie up thousands of dollars in Lego for a year or more if they make a wrong bet on the EOL date.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    look at this week's Toys R Us ad in the paper, multiple Lego deals front and center.
    I think this is actually as big a problem for the re-seller as anything. When my kids where little they were into the Thomas trains. Like Lego, I thought they were ridiculously expensive for toys, so I started buying and selling them on eBay to fund the purchases for my kids. Then places like A.C. Moore started selling them and you could go in there with a 40% off coupon every week and get what you wanted at a great discount. Once people picked up on this, the bottom dropped out of the re-selling market. Same thing seems to have happened with Playmobil. You had these "high-end, high-priced" toy brands that used to only be sold in specialty toy shops go mainstream. Then TRU or whoever had a sale on them every other week, and suddenly no one was willing to even pay retail, much less a premium.

I'm sure TLG likes the volume TRU does (and the advertising TLG gets from being constantly featured in the ads), but if I were them, I would make TRU reign in the sales practices a bit, lest they permanently devalue the brand.
    Was just looking at a few older sets...

Here are two that I would have thought would go up more:

10174 - AT-ST - 1,068 parts - currently selling for $180 delivered on Amazon, been sold out for 2.5 years, still less than 20 cents a part

10175 - Darth Vader's Tie Fighter - 1,212 parts - currently selling for $225 delivered on Amazon, sold out for 2.5 years, still less than 20 cents a part

Both of those sets have been gone a year longer than UCS Falcon, yet are half the price per part of 10179, which is going for $1,960 on Amazon, or 38 cents a part

So clearly some sets are "winners", and others are "losers", from an investment point of view.

Now in fairness, I have both 10174 and 10175 built and displayed in our Lego room, loved building both of them, glad I could get them cheaply since they retired during my dark ages (sounds funny to say that).

How about 10143? That retired at the same time as the two sets above, and it is going for 42 cents a part on Amazon. Why is it so high compared to the above sets? As a side note, I'm shocked to see it up there, just a few months ago they were in the $900 range, a $500 jump in 2 months? Sheesh!

But UCS Falcon did that, I bought my first in Feb of this year for $1,100 MISB, and they only have gone up from there. I've bought and sold 3 of them since, still have that first one. :)

Does anyone else think about Lego this much, or do I just need a 12 step program? :)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878
    edited December 2011
    Not to stray too far off topic, but I used to be heavy into the baseball card collecting and it is very similar to LEGO buying and selling. The best thing that happened to the baseball card market was limited run autographed and memorabilia cards. I see this as being very comparable to limited run sets or sets that people simply were not around to get.

I'm not saying that the Fire Brigade, Imperial Flag Ship, Emerald Night, ect won't increase in value if they are MSIB. It is natural that they will because the supply won't be there. I just don't think it will increase as quickly with all of the outlets to purchase them once the are soldout on LEGO. Again that is pure speculation. I was in my dark ages for the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner.

I also think the used market will take a significant hit unless it is a unique piece, IE tan windows for the Emerald Night. It is the only set with them.

Kyle
    Kyle - I was big in cards too. Remember checking Beckett monthly to see the little arrow going up or down? Then the Internet came and reality struck on the true value of any given card. Truth was, it was about 20%, generally, of "book" value or less (barring cards older than 1980). Market crashed because it was built on false value.

Lego is a completely different animal. It's a universe.

What is interesting is that amount of minifigs, bricks and parts in the world continues to rise. Right? Lego pumps out zillions each year, and the price of parts on the aftermarket remains stable. This has happened through the decades and even through the introduction of Al Gore's Internet. Just amazing. Value of Lego is very consistent.

Now let's hope we don't see a Beckett Lego.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Now let's hope we don't see a Beckett Lego.
    No worries there! We already have price guides with real markets (Bricklink avg sales for past 6 mos and Ebay completed auctions)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    edited December 2011
    @brickupdate - darn it, I don't like it when other people point out things that I should have thought of first.

Your one comment may keep me from buying so much in the after Christmas sales... You're right, I've only been doing this for a year, and only seriously for a few months. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Baseball cards aren't the same as Lego, but the same economic principles apply, to a point. The difference of course is that baseball cards never had the mainstream following that Lego does, look at this week's Toys R Us ad in the paper, multiple Lego deals front and center. Walk into a Toys R Us store, the whole right wall is Lego, two more isles are Lego.

Go into Target and Walmart, both stores have 2 full isles devoted to Lego.

Baseball cards never commanded THAT... If nothing else, you'll have parents to sell the sets to who will give them to kids for birthday/christmas/whatever.

However, you're right, the profits may just not show up. I should have seen baseball cards death the minute that Topps started selling complete season boxed sets to consumers. That defeats the whole point of "collecting" cards in baseball card packs for kids, trying to find that "rare" card to trade with friends for another "rare" card, when you can just buy the whole season and be done with it.
    The prices are also subject to what LEGO has in stock.. for example the PoP stuff does not appear to be going up anytime in the future as they cannot get rid of the stuff they have in stock, BUT there have been other sets that spike in price because LEGO had limited quantities that were up. the trick is what does LEGO NOT have a lot of stock in when the sale hits?

Baseball cards, and others bubbles, also had issues because of multiple companies trying hard to make 'hard to find' chase cards.. basically making profits for them, but eventually killed the market.... As long as LEGO is in business, prices of sets will go up when discontinued, there are ways for LEGO to wreck the market.. basically what they sorta do with their SW line.. redo sets over and over... But since they do this only with the licensed lines and when they make new models they make differences then you will have collectors that want the sets that are no longer around... will their be a lower ceiling on how much a set goes up? I guess, but it is all supply and demand, and I do not see kids just saying they want to stop getting LEGOS.... I guess if LEGO decides to make chase sets (I mean aside from the CMF) then there may be trouble in LEGOland. PLUS you have people that return to LEGOs all the time and want sets from their dark ages... So it is all relative.. I just do not see LEGO secondary market going away for sealed sets.
    Speaking of stock and availability of sets, I'm curious what the final production numbers were for each of the Modular Buildings. I'm betting that there were fewer of the early models produced relative to the later models.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    edited December 2011
    ^---I dunno but Fire Brigade may or may not answer if there more the later the model.. considering CafeCorner and Green Grocer went out at about the same time in the run I'm guessing not for those, but maybe for the Fire Brigade... It depends on if it gets discontinued (The guys at my LEGO store seem to think it is gone) or if it hangs around for another year like people have been hypothesizing. I am holding off getting into that debate as this should be settled before Christmas. IF the set is due to end then it should be sold out by Christmas, theoretically or be in the Christmas sale. If it still has stocks through the holidays then it is probably around for longer.. which would be weird as LEGO would have three Mods for sale, but anything is possible.
    The other one to keep an eye on is MMV.....
    ^ You can't tell what the production numbers are from how long things are in stock because you don't know at what rate they are selling. For example, if Green Grocer was bought up faster than Cafe Corner but remained on shelves for the same amount of time, this would indicate more Green Grocers were produced than Cafe Corners.
    Speaking of stock and availability of sets, I'm curious what the final production numbers were for each of the Modular Buildings. I'm betting that there were fewer of the early models produced relative to the later models.
    Big time for Market Street. What was that out for 9 months?
    Does anyone else think about Lego this much, or do I just need a 12 step program? :)
    I buy some to build, some to give away, and some to sell. To be honest, you are ahead of me in the fact that you've actually sold sets. I have mine in numbered boxes, tracked in spreadsheets, etc., and just haven't found the time to sell. I have some sets that have gone up (relatively speaking) 300% or more. You are primarily discussing SW sets (which do have decent resale overall, but there are other sets like the town plan (10184) that have preformed very well too. I bought one of those (coincidentally) right before it sold out for about $100, and it's now going for about $700 on Amazon.

I'm 100% with you...I started buying extra sets to resell and fund what I wanted to keep. It's not that I can't make money...it's that I can't find the time to spend dealing with eBay trying to sell it. And that's what makes me (and honestly, my wife) nervous about having these sets laying around.
    I think about it way too much. It's even overtaken my focus on fantasy football, which I never thought would happen.

Even when something goes up 300%, I still am hesitant to sell it. And I don't know why. It's like selling one of my children or something.

Even when something goes up 300%, I still am hesitant to sell it. And I don't know why. It's like selling one of my children or something.
    This is the danger of using what you sell. You certainly don't want to become an addict. Although, if you are addicted, dealing is a way to help sustain your habit.
    edited December 2011
    I buy some to build, some to give away, and some to sell. To be honest, you are ahead of me in the fact that you've actually sold sets.
    :) Just sold another set today
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    @farmer_john exactly true, you need to find the time to resell...and make the package ready to send etc etc...it takes time!

It is very EASY to BUY, But much more DIFFICULT to SELL....
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    You can't look at Amazon and eBay BIN prices to get accurate values. For the most part, nobody is buying.

Look at sold prices on closed eBay auctions. That's what the sets are going for.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    320 Emerald Night's left on Amazon. I just bought another, and will likely place one more order before they are done. My guess is that while some LEGO stores seem to have some of these in stock now, that they would be gone by the Dec 26th sale, or gone in the first few seconds of it.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^^ I have one EN in my closet and will build it for my City. Purchased a Death Star, and will probably resell once retired. I expect a NISB DS to go for maybe $1000?

P.S. 500th comment! :)
    This is the danger of using what you sell. You certainly don't want to become an addict. Although, if you are addicted, dealing is a way to help sustain your habit.
    On the other side, selling can be just as addictive, then fueling too much buying. It can be a perfect circle, or a downward spiral!