Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Identifying Fake Figures

AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
I have been buying some figures in lots, some to collect and some to sell on. I was just wondering what the best way is to identify fake bricks. I bought a loki without his crown and when I looked up ebay, the similarities between the real and fake one is almost impossible to tell! Well, from the pictures anyway. I assume some of the headgears on the genuine lego such as the lego cheerleader pompoms and loki's crown do not have the lego imprint on them right? How can I tell those from the fake ones then?

Comments

• bartneckbartneck Member Posts: 38
    You might want to have a look at the Unofficial LEGO Minifigure App. There, you can zoom into professional photos of every authentic figure.
    thedingman5
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    Cheers buddy. Do you know if all genuine figure have lego printed on both the torso, head and legs?
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Having LEGO on it doesn't mean it isn't counterfeit.
    SumoLegobobabricks
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,470
    edited April 2015
    And not having it doesn't mean it is, either. 

Output from Chinese factories doesn't (or didn't) have LEGO marked under the foot, for example.

If you steer clear of Super Heroes and to a lesser extent Star Wars you are unlikely to encounter fakes, I would suggest.
    SumoLegobobabricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    There are now fakes for lotr, chima, CMF, castle, ... As well as SH, SW, etc
    SumoLegoandhe
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,071
    And there are fake mini-dolls as well. I think the counterfeiters are still honing their craft, as the fakes are terrible - but watch out!
    andhe
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    CCC said:
    There are now fakes for lotr, chima, CMF, castle, ... As well as SH, SW, etc
    saw a bunch of fake Chima set at a flee market from a person with bunch of cheap chines products
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 133
    edited April 2015
    I live in Hong Kong, and I have seen some incredibly believable fakes, particularly for DC and Marvel superheroes.

I personally don't purchase them because I don't want to support rip-offs, but a number of friends have bought me them as gifts ('cus they know I like Lego) which is how I know.

I got given a fake 'Bizarro', so I've taken the head and body part (which are unique), and put them back together with common piece arms, head, legs, hands and cape to make a hybrid!

AceCobra1
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    SparkyHam said:
    I live in Hong Kong, and I have seen some incredibly believable fakes, particularly for DC and Marvel superheroes.

I personally don't purchase them because I don't want to support rip-offs, but a number of friends have bought me them as gifts ('cus they know I like Lego) which is how I know.

I got given a fake 'Bizarro', so I've taken the head and body part (which are unique), and put them back together with common piece arms, head, legs, hands and cape to make a hybrid!

Where do you buy or recommend buying Lego Sparky ? I went to In's Point this week and was amazed that over half the shops there pretty much only sell lego - in contrast when I went there about 6 months ago, they were selling loads of Gundams and Iron Man Hot Toys figures! I bought a couple of Sheep Toys R Us special from Lego1932 while I was there.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,381
    I haven't opened any 2015 Collectible Minifigures yet, but TLM Minifigures have only one foot maked Lego, Regular set minifigures have both feet marked, and I have a Keychain that doesn't have either feet maked. All from 2014 sets.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Knockoffs of Series 1...*smh* so crappy of these companies. Cheaper alternative or not they are trash.
    edited April 2015
    ^I never understood "cheaper alternative" when it comes to Lego. It is either Lego or it isn't. A knockoff Cloud City Boba Fett is NOT a Lego Cloud City Boba Fett. A Knockoff Series 1 CMF set is NOT a Lego Series 1 Set. I wouldn't buy a knockoff aet or minifigure just as a "cheaper alternative". I would rather go without.

Question; do the Series 1 Knockoffs come in sealed bags like all CMF's? I think I saw you buy them in little boxes.
    BACbrixbobabricksBrickDancerColoradoBricks
    @Pitfall69 I am not sure. I was going to buy them for comparison and helping fellow brick setters to be advised but I just couldn't support the seller's marketing these knockoffs. I feel the same way. If you want Lego figures these are not the real thing and are pretty much only good for little kids who want figures for a cheaper alternative. Still I pay for Lego for my son even though I know I will probably never see it in tact again.
    I know someone who is contantly buying cheap Superheroes knock offs for his son because he's constantly losing them. The guy refuses to buy the real more expensive versions and I don't blame him...to a point.

Does buying fake minifigures hurt Lego or the aftermarket more?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    I don't think it does hurt the aftermarket. Many people aren't going to pay $20 for a minifig. Offer them a knockoff for $1 and they probably will buy it. Those that want real Lego can still buy the real ones at a marked up price. Although there is she me overlap, they tend to be two different markets.

Does it hurt Lego? Yes, I know people that just buy 16 knock off SHs and give them to their kids to play with existing Lego, rather than buy them a small ~$15-20 set. It seems better value - and probably is.
    SumoLego
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    @Pitfall69 I bought a Death Star from a guy on Craigslist and he had a set of those knockoffs. I asked him if I could see it out of curiosity and they are packed in boxes like most of the other bootlegs. I suggest that if anybody is buying Super Hero minifigs that you use PayPal in case the minifigs are "not as described", also look out for those strange stands that have the bootleg's company on it.

The more the population of these fakes grow, the more worrisome it gets. 
    Yeah, I go on ebay and look up Lego Minifgures and put location US and put
    -custom -compatible -like -similar

Those 4 words are often used and sometime the word Lego is in title and description is where it says "compatible." They walk a fine line between false description and accurately described.
    77ncaachampsbobabricksVorpalRyu
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Yes, another big thing is READ. It will save your life a few times. I've seen people post pictures of the box of the set, I thought it was sealed but when I read the descriptions they say "complete with manual, stickers applied" or something of the like.
    BACbrixandhe
    This is why I have kept every single one of my CMF's sealed (except for Series 3) in their packages. The is no denying they are authentic :)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,421
    I've got all of the bags they came in. Does that count? Before you say it, that's a lot of baggage. 
    Pitfall69chuckpSumoLegoRonyar
    @Pitfall69 - something against Series 3?
    Ha!!! If you remember Series 1 and 2 had bar codes you could scan to find out what minifigures were in the packages. Series 3 was the first series that did not have bar codes. I didn't have much experience at feeling what was in the packages, so I just cut them open, but I never assembled them ;)
    Considering my avatar is a slighty customized Samurai from Series 3, I was feeling sensitive.

(Just kidding!)
    Pitfall69
    Baggage - nice. @oldtodd33
    oldtodd33
    ^You must like the Ninja theme
    Nah. At this point, more pirate ships, SW UCS vehicles and the expert sets.

(Although I do have a set of Fire Ninjas from a few years back.)
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    I've encountered a lot, I too buy bulk minifigures. The easiest way is to pop the head off and look at the neck stud. Real ones will ALWAYS have lego printed. I've yet to see a fake (even the remarkably good ones!) that doesn't have a blank stud underneath.

This isn't full proof of course but will work 99% of the time.

Likewise lego printed between the studs of the legs if you are trying to identify lower halfs
  • ZanderZander Member Posts: 5
    I'm not into fleshies - LEGO or otherwise - so gather fleshy heads and hands to give to a friend. Some well-meaning people have given me super-hero fakes as presents. The fleshy colour of the knock-offs is a tiny bit rosier than real LEGO.

The print on the fakes comes off more easily than on the real LEGO, and the capes are less rigid and prone to fraying. The joints of the counterfeits vary a lot in their stiffness from about the same as real LEGO through to very stiff. The variation can be on the same minifig, e.g. one shoulder is normal, the other quite hard to rotate.

I realise that none of the above is much use if you're buying online. I suspect that sellers of new, not used, minifigs deal either exclusively in real LEGO or exclusively in bootlegs. So if a store of new minifigs is selling the Thing from the Fantastic Four, for example, it must be a fake because TLG never did him. That suggests that the seller's other minifigs will also be fakes.

• SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 133
    AceCobra1 said:
    Where do you buy or recommend buying Lego Sparky ? I went to In's Point this week and was amazed that over half the shops there pretty much only sell lego - in contrast when I went there about 6 months ago, they were selling loads of Gundams and Iron Man Hot Toys figures! I bought a couple of Sheep Toys R Us special from Lego1932 while I was there.
    Hi @AceCobra1 , I was at In's Point today funnily enough! There are a few places in Mongkok I visit: CTMA Centre, Sino Plaza and Richmond Plaza. Wan Chai Is beginning to stock Lego more frequently too, particularly  those small shops with multiple transparent boxes that are rented to individual sellers. Couple of places in Causeway Bay as well, but they tend to be expensive, but AA Place is worth checking out just for the experience. 

Where are you originally from? I'm from Wales, UK - living in HK since 2005.