Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

lego T-16 skyhopper 75081 - What's with the griffin??

B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
Great set this, but does anyone know the origin of the red griffin decals?  To me they don't fit with the star wars universe at all !

In fact, the decals remind me of quinton hazell - http://www.qhorder.co.uk/products/brands/qh/

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    They're on pretty much every model/image of a T-16 out there if you search but I'm not finding any information about what it is.  Doesn't match the logo of the company that made the T-16 so not sure what it is.
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    Not sure really, I have the old version of the T-16 and its on there to. Don't quote me but believe it signifies the light side of the force on the planet Mortis in the Star Wars universe.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    I assume it is simply a racing decal of some kind.
    Pitfall69
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2015
    I suspect the origin of the griffin came from this Joe Johnston concept sketch. This is from The Star Wars Sketchbook which I received for Christmas in 1976 and spent many enjoyable hours poring over. DSC01143
    ericb
    Additionally, it looks might be part of the original model that Luke plays with as he's taking to the droids. Luke's-toy
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Looks like the answer - though sad to me - is here:

"This is the Griffin emblem on the sides of the T-16. The ILM model makers made many of the Star Wars models from whatever model kit pieces they could get their hands on and the markings were the same. The marking on the Skyhopper was actually just a decal from a German aircraft model kit."

http://msfm.seryan.com/vaughn_m/skyhopper-vm.htm
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    Thanks for the answers guys, you all know your stuff !
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    Griffin you say?
    gmonkey76bobabricksGothamConstructionCoOldfanchuckpGalactus
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    B0SSK said:
    Thanks for the answers guys, you all know your stuff !
    I don't...but (evil) Google does!
    @B0SSK  my answer probably is wrong.

Initially, I thought it was the actual Skyhopper kit the dude was putting together, but it's his own creation/version.

This was the model sticker set he used for it: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/airfix/images/airfix_3501_decals.jpg

So, there MAY be a Star Wars connection that is unexplained...
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    edited April 2015
    ^ That is certainly the actual reason behind it's appearance on the prop, but in universe it is simply a racing decal. The T-16 Skyhopper is the Star Wars equivalent of a hot rod which each owner would customise. 

You can see the actual T-16 in the photo above (to the right of C-3PO) and might notice that it does not feature the griffin decal. That only appears on the model Luke is holding, which is presumably either a toy which happens to feature that decal, or a toy which Luke has customised to resemble how he would like to decorate his T-16 Skyhopper.

Does anybody else ever wonder if they are reading too much into the Star Wars universe? :)
    edited April 2015
    I believe I remember reading in "The Making of Star Wars" that Lucas had hope to film some skyhopper scenes with some of Lukes buds that included Koo Stark. That's why Luke has a model to play with. It was originally intended to be more than just a prop. But like many ideas, the pressures of schedule and money caused it to be scraped.  

That book is a fascinated read on the creation of the film. You dont have to be a Star Wars nerd to appreciate the history behind it. The biggest thing I got from the book was that Lucas starting filming a concept rather than directly from a completed script. The story evolved so much during filming that what we saw on screen bore little resemblance to many of his original ideas. 

^ That is certainly the actual reason behind it's appearance on the prop, but in universe it is simply a racing decal. The T-16 Skyhopper is the Star Wars equivalent of a hot rod which each owner would customise. 

You can see the actual T-16 in the photo above (to C-3PO's right) and might notice that it does not feature the griffin decal. That only appears on the model Luke is holding, which is presumably either a toy which happens to feature that decal, or a toy which Luke has customised to resemble how he would like to decorate his T-16 Skyhopper.

Does anybody else ever wonder if they are reading too much into the Star Wars universe? :)
    Darn it, @CapnRex101.

I was hoping there'd be another story line somewhere about a rebel group about a Griffin unit...
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited April 2015

You can see the actual T-16 in the photo above (to C-3PO's right)* 
    Now you mention it, that area of the image is really messing my head. I just can't make sense of all the surfaces... I can see the T-16, but also what appears to be two pipes coming down from above, but they seem to go into an invisible 'wall' between luke's room and the T-16... *confused*

*to 3P0's left... (or to the right of) ;oP
    VorpalRyu
    I know that is probably supposed to be the T-16 through that door but it doesn't make sense according to the drawing on the wiki page (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-16_skyhopper).  There isn't anything round (as shown in the movie image) that is directly beneath the panel with the logo, that area should just be cockpit as the panel with the logo is just the side of the main portion of the ship.  

And the panel with the logo is directly beneath the tubular part of the T-16 which looks like it could be what is in the movie image but in the movie image there isn't anything above the tube.  That is all shaded as if it was the wall of the room.  So if that is a T-16 where is the top fin?

Looks to me like that is just some piece of farming equipment or part of the running of the compound/home.  The pipes might just be hanging there with the open end exposed for air circulation or something.  Doesn't have to be connected to anything for it to be useful =)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,770
    graphite said:
    And the panel with the logo is directly beneath the tubular part of the T-16 which looks like it could be what is in the movie image but in the movie image there isn't anything above the tube.  That is all shaded as if it was the wall of the room.  So if that is a T-16 where is the top fin?
    Maybe I'm not understand correctly, but isn't the top fin right above the horizontal tube? In the still posted earlier, it looks to me like the actual ship outside the door is sitting at almost the exact same angle as the model Luke is holding.
    gmonkey76
    It's good that the model Mark Hamill is holding in that movie still above, is a very good match to this latest T-16 lego set.  
    binaryeye said:
    Maybe I'm not understand correctly, but isn't the top fin right above the horizontal tube? In the still posted earlier, it looks to me like the actual ship outside the door is sitting at almost the exact same angle as the model Luke is holding.

Ah I see it now.  The shading was confusing me and I thought the top wing part was shaded as if it was a wall in the distance, but I can see it now.

On another note the way the forum does quoting now is really annoying.  If you accidentally back space the line it adds outside of the quote you can't get it back without deleting the quote and requoting.
    The reason the skyhopper in the background of the Lars homestead has some strange angles/persepective is because it is possibly a matte painting rather than a real set prop. 
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    ^ I actually even started to wonder whether it was one of George's later tinkered additions, and that Luke's room originally had a different backdrop in that corner... jeez, that man changed so much, i don't know what's real anymore! lol

Is this my sandwich? it looks like my sandwich... 
    Yeah Lucas can not stop tinkering and fiddling with his masterpiece. Ridley Scott did the same thing with Blade Runner.  Now it is near on impossible to find a copy of the original theatrical voice over version with the sunlight drive ending. Curses !