Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting Frustration... Advice?

PFire13PFire13 Member Posts: 6
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster (maybe a few times a while back).  I'm running into an issue and wondering what the community feels thinks.  I'll warn you, parts of this may go rant for a bit. 

So I'm on the heels of losing another unicorn (10124 wright flyer) set to someone who just threw cash at it in significant qtys and rate.  My frustration is that basically the collector market for anything out of print of any value has become so voracious that getting anything at any reasonable rate (read dollars) is going out the window.  And yes, I get how free markets work and that demand sets price etc etc, but it still seems pretty crazy to be wanting $1000+ for a Mr. Gold yeah?  I still think we can all agree per oz, that's one insane rate (I think it beats out silver price per oz and i think maybe gold itself). 

Back story, I started recollecting several years ago (5ish) and have done extremely well being able to collect most of the out of print things I never got the first time around.  As I've collected over the years, I've seen the market increase and increase and increase... I'm sure this is also true from people who have been at it for much longer than me.  I am starting to notice that basically my local market (read craigslist, and basically it's so ruthless that if you don't contact someone within about 20 mins of post, it's gone) and even the broader market is becoming so saturated with people and resellers, that deals or even access to sets are becoming extremely scarce.  I know I know, I'm not talking something for nothing here, I am talking, however, resellers hawking everywhere they can find to resell at inflated pricing eating up market supply along with a LOT of individual competition.  I buy up sets and build them to enjoy, I like the building AND the final product... that love gets dampered when I'm in a street fight to buy anything beyond what's on the shelves of my local Lego store.  I know this is rambly and probably leaves me open to a great deal of criticism, but anyone have any opinions?  I have been working on building up a parts backlog so I can build modulars and other sets, but I always keep basically having to run off and go buy Bricklink parts because I don't seem to ever have the right things... as I said in the beginning, a rant.  Anyone else run into this?  I'm really looking for the experienced long term folks because you have to understand a lot of this... i'd think.  Thanks!  PFire
TXLegoguyGoldchainsCraig_Bcatwrangler

Comments

• ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    You can often get 'near complete' sets for far less than for what sealed or advertised 'complete' sets go for.  If you are willing to substitute parts that you have on hand or can pick up from places like brick owl then you can end up saving quite a bit.  Of course that also depends on what you are collecting.
  • nicoyagomeznicoyagomez Member Posts: 24
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. Although there will always be the rare sets that command high after market prices, bubbles do eventually burst and prices will fall. You said so yourself, $1000 for a Mr. Gold? There's a frenzy feeding into these prices that is irrational. My advice. Be patient. Enjoy what you can. And fill in any gaps in your collection once prices drop considerably, which they will. If you cave and spend an insane amount of money for an after market set, you'll likely regret it when you realize you will never get back what you paid for it.
    dougts
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    PFire13 said:
    it still seems pretty crazy to be wanting $1000+ for a Mr. Gold yeah?  I still think we can all agree per oz, that's one insane rate (I think it beats out silver price per oz and i think maybe gold itself).
    I happened to calculate this recently, and yeah, it's interesting.  If Mr. Gold is ~12grams of plastic and goes for $1000, that's about $83/gram.  Gold itself is about $42/gram.
    CircleKpharmjodchuckp
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    You have probably realised ... you can either buy current sets, or pay inflated prices for retired sets. If a reseller can jump in and buy something and sell it on and still make a profit, then chances are it was undervalued compared to the market price.

Something else you can do for old sets you have missed, is to do you own versions instead - change parts and colours to ones that are easily / cheaply available. They are not the valuable old sets, but they are similar for display plus unique to you. Or forget about them completely and MOC instead.
    dougts
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    I feel your pain as I am in the same position, but I just let set like that go. It's not worth it.
    AndorTXLegoguyaimlesspursuitsGoldchainsbluemodernSumoLegorollabarRainstorm26
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Surely the nature of almost anything collectable will lead to what you have described? A single item will be worth more later, and a collection more than the sum of the individual items.

The only way around that is not to collect collectables. Your own variant of an official set will not attract the same premium that the original does, but provide a similar building experience. However, its future value will also not increase in the same way.

You seem to be wanting the best of both worlds.
    TheLoneTensormadforLEGOdougtsKevin_Hyatt
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I've had excellent "luck" buying and selling things around these parts
    If you are looking for specific parts just ask

In the last couple months I've traded off a significant number of figs for a variety of loose bricks and figureless sets. You'd be surprised what kind of cool stuff you get if you just don't mind not getting the figs.

The discontinued issue is just something you have to deal with. I don't care what you are collecting the price is going to go up if you can't just walk down to the store and buy it. Lego is no different then any other collectable (or any piece of merchandise really)

If you are looking for something that a good amount of other people want there is going to be a bit of a fight. Did you see how long people were waiting for that stupid Sar Wars C3PO at the SW Celebration? And I could make that set out of parts from my scrap bits box.

It's just the nature of the game
    My advice. Be patient. Enjoy what you can. And fill in any gaps in your collection once prices drop considerably, which they will. If you cave and spend an insane amount of money for an after market set, you'll likely regret it when you realize you will never get back what you paid for it.
    Which sets have gone up when they went EOL, then dropped considerably?

There is the Crawler, and other short run sets that disappeared quickly only to reappear (exo-suit, RI). But those are all fairly unique examples. Normal retail sets tend to behave quite differently. Even when a set is rehashed years late, the old version tends to retain its value without a considerable drop.
  • PFire13PFire13 Member Posts: 6
    Hey all, thanks for the advice... I know that I want all of it to work easily and smoothly... that's an unrealistic expectation.  We all WANT lots of things, but deal with the reality :)  I think part of it is what is left on the bucket list...

* Statue of Liberty
    * Eiffel Tower
    * Wright Flyer

Each command a nasty secondary price (wright being the cheapest) with not a gob of alternatives to some of their parts.  The stupid sand green of the statue alone has those dumb quarter rounds that, if they can even be found, are $50 a piece.  Even if I attempt to sub color completely, it ends up being a significant qty of single colors... I have a great back log, but definitely don't have 3000 specific grey parts to crank out either of them, if that makes sense.  I think we all understand this is just complaining, I just have frustration with the people I deal with for these types of sets.  They all want uber primo money and are more than willing to be crappy participants in the community in pursuit of the dollar.  I still enjoy the guy who was asking 5500 for the black and white sealed box statue of liberty... look I get it was rare as can be, but you're out of your gourd.  He was super kind to tell me to make him an offer, but that he had a ton of collectors interested at 5500.... which makes zero sense and a complete lie. 
    PFire13 said:
    I think we all understand this is just complaining, I just have frustration with the people I deal with for these types of sets.  They all want uber primo money and are more than willing to be crappy participants in the community in pursuit of the dollar.
    The problem here is when you pass on a set at a decent price to a collector that really wants it, then they turn around and sell it for a large profit.
    BumblepantsGurooodougtsbluemodern
    I know my area is soaking, dripping wet with them... there was one notorious dude in the area that even if a sale was pending, like someone was getting cash, or even as they were handing over cash... he'd start trying to offer hundreds more so he could resell.  I've seen some pretty awful behavior from people trying to resell and it's only getting worse... fuels my frustration
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    PFire13 said:
    Hey all, thanks for the advice... I know that I want all of it to work easily and smoothly... that's an unrealistic expectation.  We all WANT lots of things, but deal with the reality :)  I think part of it is what is left on the bucket list...

* Statue of Liberty
    * Eiffel Tower

Hi,
    i´ve bricklinked the Eiffel tower about 1 1/2 years ago, there are some more expensive pieces (like the 6x16 Tile) but these can be easily substituted with their current counterpart! I´m sure you can BL the whole set with substituted parts for about $350-400 or even cheaper! So instead of complaining about how much sellers are asking for, get active and BL the Set (i know Statue o.Liberty won´t be so easy to BL) by yourself!
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    What I don't understand is why you think anyone should "give away" their valuable belongings to you? I don't ask for even market value for the sets I part with, and I get contacted by people telling me that I should sell them to them for half of that price, because that is what they want to pay for them. I am not a reseller, I justs sell some sets to make room for new ones.

I think that is pretty rude, actually. Most of those people aren't even polite when they ask.
    nicoyagomezBumblepantsTheLoneTensornatro220madforLEGOdougtsGoldchainsbluemodern
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    I have bought several sets that I missed during my dark ages (that were reasonably priced to me). Those I really wanted but market price was way out there I went to work and bricklinked them. Among other, I Bricklinked the #10181 Eiffel Tower last month, cheaper than I thought (only substituted tiles as described above). Also did the #10185 Green Grocer in Sand Blue, #10187 Volkswagen Beetle in Red and White, #10129 Rebel Snowspeeder in New Grays & Yellow, #10196 Grand Carousel in Dark Purple, #10182 Cafe Corner and several more.

As a collector and builder, for the retired sets, I find more joy into gathering the pieces on Bricklink, PaB, decide on what to change (like color) etc then just buying an over priced full set. While I don't own the sets from a collection stand point, I am really happy with what I have and not looking for them anymore.
    pharmjoddougts77ncaachampsRsa33chuckp
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Many of us understand your frustration @PFire13, being a Marvel fan not based in the US, I have had to pay some seriously nasty prices for the exclusives I have gotten (both Marvel & SW). Some of the prices I have seen, have left me questioning the sanity of some sellers (The ASM2 Electro Polybag is one that comes to mind).

To me, the worst thing is some of the exclusives. One of our friends has a child with learning difficulties, his favourite superheroes have only been done as Comic Con exclusives, try explaining to him that his favourite heroes as his favourite toy will cost his parents a few weeks rent for each minifig... When they come down, I put my Phoenix away, cause he wouldn't understand, he would just fixate on that Lego makes her & Santa can get him one for christmas. If I ever get the SDCC Spider-Man (Symbiote Suit) & Spider-Woman minifigs, it will have to be the same story.

Those that were available at regular retailers, yes its a pity that some skyrocket in the aftermarket, but they were available for a time, unfortunately, if you missed the boat, you missed the boat. I have sets I would love to get, but I wasn't involved with Lego at the time, so I'm hoping TLG will do a rehash at some point.

There are those sellers out there that have a serious condition, heck one of the guys who used to visit the store where my brother used to work, drove my brother & his boss crazy. Twice a month without fail, he'd drag a bag full of much 'loved' ;)  Masters of the Universe & Kenner Star Wars figures, demanding $80 a figure for MotU figures & $90 for SW ones... He'd always leave claiming they're worth a lot more & one day, they'd see reason & pay up.
    TXLegoguyxiahna
    Gurooo said:
    What I don't understand is why you think anyone should "give away" their valuable belongings to you? I don't ask for even market value for the sets I part with, and I get contacted by people telling me that I should sell them to them for half of that price, because that is what they want to pay for them. I am not a reseller, I justs sell some sets to make room for new ones.

I think that is pretty rude, actually. Most of those people aren't even polite when they ask.

Hey, fair enough, I struggle with the compromise between what the market IS and what I want it to be... I'm in agreement, just because I want to pay $20 for something worth $1000 doesn't make it happen.  I think my frustration is just that the $ "value" is being climbed and fought over because it's "worth" so much.  I still think it can be frustrating when the ONLY price you can ever find at or above the market value and if anything ever comes up less than that it's gone in 30 secs.  Again, the deal is not exactly the point, just that it's getting increasingly frustrating to do because things are getting cost prohibitive, *cough* statue.  As I started out with, part rant :)
    I have bought several sets that I missed during my dark ages (that were reasonably priced to me). Those I really wanted but market price was way out there I went to work and bricklinked them. Among other, I Bricklinked the #10181 Eiffel Tower last month, cheaper than I thought (only substituted tiles as described above). Also did the #10185 Green Grocer in Sand Blue, #10187 Volkswagen Beetle in Red and White, #10129 Rebel Snowspeeder in New Grays & Yellow, #10196 Grand Carousel in Dark Purple, #10182 Cafe Corner and several more.

As a collector and builder, for the retired sets, I find more joy into gathering the pieces on Bricklink, PaB, decide on what to change (like color) etc then just buying an over priced full set. While I don't own the sets from a collection stand point, I am really happy with what I have and not looking for them anymore.

About Bricklinking an Eiffel, I've pursued it several times, but it always ended up being one store with an incredible cost (they had all the parts in spades, so charge 100% more for each part) or 20 stores at 5% of the total qty each and 20x shippings... how did you do it and what did it roughly cost you?  thx!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    It seems the primary issue, then, is the majority of people consider sets to be worth more than you consider them to be worth. If that's the case, why are you still interested in the sets? Unless you happen to stumble on an ignorant seller, you're unlikely to ever get the set for what you think it's worth.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    @PFire13  for the Eiffel tower, I had 7 BL orders, 2 Bricks and Pieces and 1 PAB. The total for those was $340 + $35 shipping. I had the equivalent of $125 or parts in my own collection.

With the Hobbit/LOTR sets the dark bluish gray are now easy to source and rather cheap. For parts where the quantities are 100+ and only available with 10 or less in BL, check PaB and Bricks and Pieces, it might be better to pay a few cents more per parts but have them all in one shipment.

If you need more details or info feel free to PM me directly.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^He was offering more sets to sell to the buyer? Isn't this normal business behavior? I always ask if there is anything else they want.
  • DAVEmoonDAVEmoon Member Posts: 44
    Yep I agree with Pfire,annoying as hell,and when collecting the modulars and your 2yrs late in,its like savagery.I detest alot of the pickers that find 20 benny's spaceship for 49dollars.or maybe I am jealous but some kid somewhere would love one for 60dollars,but no they are kept in boxes loaded into a room and will surface in 3/4 yes @maybe 160dollars.this is just an example but its happening with so Much the fun is gone.personally I hope some of these people are left with stacks that are worthless,just my opinion.dont shoot
    ericb
    Guys, this is beginning to sound more like the infamous "Anti-Reseller Thread" :0
    BumblepantspharmjodmadforLEGOnatro220dougtsGoldchainsminicoopers11
    edited April 2015
    ^^ It's annoying as hell because you're taking a selfish and entitled attitude.  Are people supposed to purchase inventory and then sit on it for 2 years until you come along to buy it at the price they originally paid for it?  That's ridiculous.  Not everyone can be in the right place at the right time.  For those that are, more power to them.  For those that aren't, you need to suck it up.

If you do actually want to get some "friend" deals, then be a friend and work with folks.  Dicker and deal, you know, the same way humans have done so since they invented humans.  Other than that, you either pay the sticker price or you move along.
    BumblepantsdougtsGuroooCCCGoldfreekGoldchainsbluemodernSumoLego
    It's blue doo-dads and dead horses all over again ;)
    Ronyarpharmjod
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 238
    A lot of this has to do with your collecting focus.  I came out of my dark ages last fall, 'discovered' modulars and have had to just excise them from my wish list.  Same with any other exclusives that EOL'd before I came along.  

And, yes, that sucks.  But at least I don't torture myself wondering why there aren't any deals for them.

Since my kids and I are builders, we have learned to focus on current or gently used sets, which can be 50-75% cheaper than sealed.  Finally, the re-hashed sets that long-time collectors despise are wonderful for us (i.e., the current Pirates line) as we can build for retail (or on sale).

Sometimes you gain as much from the things you let go as from the things you acquire...
    pharmjodRonyarKevin_Hyattbluemodern
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    The bubble will absolutely burst, and then come back, and then burst again, in an endless cycle. I've been collecting for ages. In the late 90s/early 00s, a lot of older sets went for an absolute fortune (some even more than today!). Then in the mid-00's, LEGO prices just dropped to the floor (I was getting great sets, sealed, from the 1980s, in the $100-$150 range). Now they are peaking again, but they will inevitably fall. 
    VorpalRyuTXLegoguynicoyagomezKiltyONealcatwrangler
    ^ I live in hope... :smile: $650 is a bit steep for a minifig, it hurt parting with what I did for Phoenix & the Collector.
    xiahna
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,350
    I believe there is already a 'rant' thread recently done exclaiming the same thoughts.

All I can say is this:
    If not for 'evil' resellers, the market for sets no longer produced would be much much worse.
    You think that a FB for 300 dollars is too much? Imagine if people were not hoarding them. TH is a good example of what occurs when people do not stock sets up.
    So while it is chic to blast resellers, they really are the reason why many sets can still be had for 'decent' prices, let alone be had in sealed box.
    I instead will twist the argument and say imagine if many people all stacked 50 cafe corners each? I doubt they would be sitting there at 2K, same with Market street. UCS Falcon? If you had those sitting on stocks of 20 you think they would be 3-4K right now? Now all of these sets are also well past 8-9  years old now (time flies) so they are also this pricey due to being rare considering there are likely far more fans that want these sets compared to supply.
    Lets take a new set. If all the big resellers each stacked 30 TH (heck of a bunch of those stacking 10-15) would they be at 500 USD right now?

Also you are assuming that every item that is being sold after EOL is bought on an insane discount, this is not always the case either (at least not for exclusives in the US that cannot be discounted), and really even if they were they were likely a BOGO50 or other sale that was easily accessible by many, not just the evil resellers.

As for the resellers that empty shelves and trying to 'corner the market' of hard to find sets (like RI) well I do not condone that. As for those who are mad that they cannot find clearance sets for insane prices? Well I feel for you, but it happens, heck many times you do not see such sets clearance prices anymore in stores, at least not in my area or many other areas.

People cannot seriously feel that because someone did not pay that price that they should not charge that price. IMO that is akin to walking into a McD and saying 'this hamburger cost you guys only 50 cents to make so I only want to pay 50 cents'.
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsnatro220TheLoneTensorminicoopers11
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited April 2015
    PFire13 said:
     I just have frustration with the people I deal with for these types of sets.  They all want uber primo money and are more than willing to be crappy participants in the community in pursuit of the dollar. 
    This is a big pile of negative generalization here that is neither fair or in most cases accurate at all in regards to the majority of us "evil resellers".  I resell to fund my hobby.  the brush you want to tar me (and others) with in the quote above is offensive and untrue.  If the price they were asking wasn't market rate, then they wouldn't sell them.  Pay the freight or move on. 

There are a ton of old sets and parts I want.  I don't have them.  I long ago decided I was never going to pay more than RRP for any set, past or present.  I stick by that.  Sometimes I bricklink andold set. Sometimes I just decide I guess I don't get to own it.  But that's the way the market works.  It's not the reseller's fault I can't or won't spend 2x or 5x RRP for something I want.  It's not anyone's fault.  It's market forces as work. Supply and demand.  I'm not willing to pay the premium, so c'est la vie

pharmjodTheLoneTensor
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,143
    My advice is simple, move on and start fresh with what is available now, or what just recently retired. Going after these old ”unicorn” sets is just going to continue to frustrate you and put a hole in your wallet.
    dougtsbluemodern
    Let's not forget the idea that if I were to even see a highly sought after set for 1/3 to 1/2 the general going rate I would probably question exactly why they wouldn't have a price similar to the market value.
    Is it damaged? Fake? Nonexistent?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    edited April 2015
    @dougts I agree. I long ago decided I won't pay more than MSRP for a set. If I miss it while it's out, so be it. I've been very fortunate that there really isn't anything I "missed" but I did pass on a lot of things. Same now. I can't buy everything though @samiam391 ;might say I try ;)  Regardless, figure out what your tolerance to pain is and quit whining about it.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    PFire13 said:
    They all want uber primo money and are more than willing to be crappy participants in the community in pursuit of the dollar.
    Generalize much?  Why don't you blame the buyer?  They all pay uber primo money and are more than willing to be crappy participants in the community in waste of the dollar.

PFire13 said:

I still think it can be frustrating when the ONLY price you can ever find at or above the market value and if anything ever comes up less than that it's gone in 30 secs.  
    Who bought it?  Some crappy participant in the community snapping it up before you could purchase it.  Didn't that buyer know how much you wanted it and therefore have a rightful claim to it?
    dougtsbluemodern
    ^ most buyers seem to want to pay unter primo money, not uber.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    It all does add up to the market rate is such because there are people out there willing to pay absurd prices for plastic toys. I don't know why. I agree like a few others here that don't want to pay above MSRP on sets. I have definitely missed out on some sets and I will just not own them because they jump in price so high. For the most part, I don't even notice that I don't own the set. But I know where my boundaries are in terms of money going out on TOYS. Resellers can fuel the fire and/or they can take advantage of a lot of situations. Not everyone is the same. Gauge the current price for what you are comfortable with. If you feel you got a good enough deal compared to the general population, then you still win. If you have regrets of spending that much money, then you should avoid doing that.
    catwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,350
    Sethro3 said:
    It all does add up to the market rate is such because there are people out there willing to pay absurd prices for plastic toys. I don't know why. I agree like a few others here that don't want to pay above MSRP on sets. I have definitely missed out on some sets and I will just not own them because they jump in price so high. For the most part, I don't even notice that I don't own the set. But I know where my boundaries are in terms of money going out on TOYS. Resellers can fuel the fire and/or they can take advantage of a lot of situations. Not everyone is the same. Gauge the current price for what you are comfortable with. If you feel you got a good enough deal compared to the general population, then you still win. If you have regrets of spending that much money, then you should avoid doing that.
    This is the reason why I buy anything I think I will want in regards to LEGO, even if it does not strike me as a set I want at that moment (like Horizon Express for example) because to not buy it when it is readily available then to wish I had one later when it is costly is not a position I want to be in (as I'm sure there are many in such a position with Town Hall and Haunted House). It is the reason why I am contemplating buying a Simpsons house now even though I'm not crazy about Simpsons or the price; I know it will only go up once gone.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^Agreed.

Thought my first sentence made my intent clear.  Using a phrase like "They all" to characterize a broadly defined population is almost always unfair and incorrect.  I used the same wording to highlight the infuriating offense of the original statement as it is very obvious that all buyers are not willing to pay uber primo money.

The way I see it, there are up to three crappy participants in the community.  The crappy seller for setting such a price.  The crappy buyer for being willing to pay that price.  And the crappy non-buyer for blaming the other two for the situation he finds himself in. 
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    These kind of threads leave me nonplussed. Whenever I think "oh no, this $1000 I can afford to piss up the wall will only get me that one particular LEGO set" this thought is immediately displaced by the thought:

$1000 = Tumbler + Slave I + Palace Cinema + Parisian Restaurant + Detective Office

along with a big night on the town followed by a bit of cathartic howling at the sky about the injustice of the universe.
    natro220dougtsmatticus_bricksbluemodern
    edited April 2015
    But the whole point of economics (and what everyone here is trying to say) is that there arnt 3 separate entities
    Everything is tied together
    Buyers set the price not the sellers
    And the so called "non-buyer" doesn't even ever factor in because all they are doing is bitching when they didn't do anything either way and probably should have known better
    dougts
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Note to the US reader: nonplussed is being used in my post according to its meaning in British English.
    This is the reason why I buy anything I think I will want in regards to LEGO, even if it does not strike me as a set I want at that moment (like Horizon Express for example) because to not buy it when it is readily available then to wish I had one later when it is costly is not a position I want to be in (as I'm sure there are many in such a position with Town Hall and Haunted House). It is the reason why I am contemplating buying a Simpsons house now even though I'm not crazy about Simpsons or the price; I know it will only go up once gone.
    I'm of the exact same mindset regarding the Simpson's House.  This is exactly the reason why I have one and only one of them.  If for some reason down the road I really decide I want it personally, I'll have it without having to pay aftermarket prices.  If not, I KNOW a set like it will be worth more than $200.

Btw @madforLEGO, just do it :)
    oldtodd33madforLEGOdougts
    edited April 2015
    Why is a buyer crappy because they pay more than someone else wants to pay? Some people have more money than others. If demand is high and supply low, then they will probably outbid anyone else and get what they want. If supply is high and demand low, then there is enough for everyone. It's sdcc exclusives vs City police. Enjoy what you can afford.
    goshe7GuroooSumoLegoBrickDancer
    In the US, this happens a lot with automobiles. People are willing to pay more than MSRP just to be the first person in their country club to have the new Ferrari. I remember when I was buying my wife her Honda S2000, every Honda Dealership was selling them over MSRP because demand was high. I happened to get lucky because of a buyer special ordering a Black and Red interior one and backed out as soon as it came. I so happened to be at the dealership at the time it rolled up and I bought it albeit at MSRP.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    ^or be motivated to make more money so you can afford what you enjoy.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 480
    I would say the best advice is trying up to let it bother you. Rant and rave, blow off some steam and then realize it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of sets that I feel this way about. I'm dying to get my hands on Market Street, but I'm not willing to pay what other people are willing to pay right now. That's simply the way the secondary market goes.

I have less of an issue paying big money for older sets, mainly because I feel they are genuinely worth more. At much less trouble a couple hundred for the Yellow Castle than I do for set that was just retired. Mainly because somehow I believe 35-year-old set has accumulated greater value than say a two-year-old set. Is this true? Who knows. It's ultimately up to the market dictate the price of an item.

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    I'm reading a lot of lamenting over retired sets in this thread. A lot of "the one that got away".

Well folks, it's time to learn from past mistakes.

It's time to grab life by the horns and show LEGO you'll never let them pull a fast one on you again by retiring a set early.

It's time to show the re-sellers who is boss.

By buying this limited edition set before it's retired, and gone... for good:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/19527/for-sale-worldwide-fb001-fairy-bricks-exclusive#latest

(Proceeds go to a great cause :) )
    dougtslegomattSirKevbagsbendybadgerchuckp
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    edited April 2015
    Lol this thread is comedy gold.

OP missed out like the rest of us...I actually had so many wonderful 80s classic space, pirate, castle, and train sets etc. The vast majority had og boxes, instuctions, and I even saved the og plastic part bags (OCD tendencies like most on here/and this def woulda been some craigslist hustlers wet dream).

One day perhaps in hs or college, all gone to the goodwill and not by my choice.

All that remains from that period in my childhood is a complete skulls eye schooner (if anyone wants holla at me :)

The only set I ever regret and will prolly buy misb because of sentimental value instead of bricklinking or whatevs is the black seas barracuda.

This was given to me on my 9th bday as a surprise by mom, even though she said we couldn't afford it at the time...everytime i see it online, I can't help but remember that wondrous night :)

The point is, to all who whine or rant, quit ur bitching...there are many more who will emerge from their dark ages and curse about missing out just like you and me...

Suck it up and constantly hustle, scour the internet, and real world. I get that ranting is some form of catharsis, but in reality it will not get you any closer to these desired sets that the vast majority of AFOLs covet.

This is no different than any other collectible hobby, be it comics or baskbetball cards...instead of whining about the past look forward to the future :)

As an aside, my god that new SW second teaser trailer is absurd! Ship it!
    pharmjoddougts
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    As other more astute members have posted earlier, this is likely a cyclical thing that will eventually bottom out only to rise again (not 100% but I would think closer to it than most would surmise).

Corollary: Ive been collecting vinyl for 20+ years, and believe me Lego is benign compared to records. Peruse popsike.com or collectorsfrenzy.com, and you can begin to understand the savage world of other passions...OP would likely have a heart attack.

That is when one has to accept certain realities in life...do you really need the og mini figs, box, and instructions booklet ;)

If/when Lego crashes in the future, THAT is when you should be buying...because history will likely prove that it will boom again in the future, unless Mega Bloks rolla em lol

TLG could very well go bankrupt, and all these sealed modulars/exclusives/sw ucs sets may end up buried in a dump in NM a la the Atari ET game lol :)
    VorpalRyucatwrangler
    edited April 2015
    ^ HK-47, is that you? *lol* *j/k* :)
    xiahna