Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Elephants are not cheap...

MrTjipsMrTjips Member Posts: 32
edited April 2015 in Collecting
The circus is in town, the elephants arrived.

I'm in shock when I saw the prices on Bricklink for these used elephants: at least 24 dollars, without cloths and mahout. Yesterday I saw one elephant on a collectors fair for 40 euros and I was wondering if such price was really what collector's would pay for it. And yes someone did because later I noticed the elephant was sold.

Some sellers are asking unbelievable prices and I sometimes can't figure out why. Like these elephants, they came in set 7414 in 2003, which is in my opinion not old, but it seems that some collectors consider this item as not very common.
So be it. I bought this group in 2004 on a Dutch auction site for 20 or 25 euros which seems to be a good investment, altough I'm not selling them.

But in my Lego town they will perform regulary...

Kevin_HyattPoochyxpokRenegade007cjhHangedSanchezPate5346khmellymelchuckpDaraghklatu003SirBenAndorSumoLegoBuriedinBricksbobabrickshkcrazy88AdzbadboyOmastarTheBigLegoskihleonffu

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Why does he have a whip and sword?!? I feel bad for those elephants  :'(
    chuckpAndorbobabricksSethro3richo
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    I've not seen those before, but now I really want them...
    Pate5346MrTjips
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    Yeah... I can't even talk about how much I paid for an elephant this winter. I do love it though.
    MrTjips
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,543
    Well you can get sets that are sold out yesterday that double in price so its not all about age. 2003 was a long time ago when you think about how many people have found Lego since then and would have missed out on these sets. Lego have not made any newer elephants like they have with dinos and other big molds so I do get why people want these. Look at the price of goats which are much smaller and come from a much newer set.
    MrTjipsmadforLEGObluemodern
  • MrTjipsMrTjips Member Posts: 32
    Maybe it is that I'm not collecting new Lego but (almost) only before 1980. The prices for an old complete set in new like condition is explicable to me because it is rare. Altough I know some modern sets are also not very common. But I'm still surprised about some prices...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    SMC said:
    Well you can get sets that are sold out yesterday that double in price so its not all about age. 2003 was a long time ago when you think about how many people have found Lego since then and would have missed out on these sets. Lego have not made any newer elephants like they have with dinos and other big molds so I do get why people want these. Look at the price of goats which are much smaller and come from a much newer set.

Agreed

Someone with elephants needs to make a circus type set for LEGO ideas and submit it stat. :smile: 
    Unfortunately it would be a pricey set I'm guessing, but hey 6 elephants in a circus set (with other animals, like bears, and Lions) for 149.99 USD? I'd probably be in on that.
    MrTjipsmr.pigglesminicoopers11hkcrazy88
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    An 10 year retired elephant at that price is a bargain compared to a 2 year retired goat:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=101482&colorID=1

If they were available in new grays, I'm willing to bet they'd be double the price if not more.
    Andorbobabricksandhe
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    What are all those elephants doing?... XD
    bobabricks
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,704
    SMC said:
    2003 was also when LEGO nearly went bankrupt, whereas today they are the largest toy company in the world. In other words, there are a LOT more LEGO fans today than there were back then, and so fewer elephants to go around.
    madforLEGOAndor
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    What are all those elephants doing?... XD

Looks like the conga
    AanchirRenegade007cjhbobabricksandhe
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 717
    I bought two elephants a couple of years ago (for LOTR of course) and one of the ears went missing.  Now, I have found the ear and can't find the elephants.  What is it about elephants?
    Andor
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    edited April 2015
    Back in the 1950s TLG was making a zoo animal and farm animal set of 2 dimensional animals that were not part of the LEGO System of Play.... until in 1957 some designers were working on a LEGO zoo theme that would be for the 1950s Town Plan board (made of Masonite).... but although the animal sets were released since the early 1950s, the individual zoo sets never were put into production,.... these images are from the Billund Archives/Collections.

This was supposed to provide a secondary use (zoo) for the Town Plan board....

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide Chapter on LEGO Prototype Sets/Parts.

AndorbluemodernMrTjipsPedilego
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,364
    edited April 2015
    vitreolum said:
    An 10 year retired elephant at that price is a bargain compared to a 2 year retired goat:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=101482&colorID=1

If they were available in new grays, I'm willing to bet they'd be double the price if not more.
    Whoa! I had no idea goats were going for that much now. I guess I will not be using mine in any show display MOCs anytime soon.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,325
    I like that the Town Plan board notes 'China' as an animal.
    hkcrazy88BumblepantsbinaryeyeOmastar
    Istokg said:
    Back in the 1950s TLG was making a zoo animal and farm animal set of 2 dimensional animals that were not part of the LEGO System of Play.... until in 1957 some designers were working on a LEGO zoo theme that would be for the 1950s Town Plan board (made of Masonite).... but although the animal sets were released since the early 1950s, the individual zoo sets never were put into production,.... these images are from the Billund Archives/Collections.

Wow, great set. If you have some old plastic animals you can try to rebuild it. LOL

edited April 2015
    SumoLego said:
    I like that the Town Plan board notes 'China' as an animal.
    Hehehe.... interestingly enough "Zoo Plan 4"  was kind of ambiguous.... there was a gate structure with "KINA" printed above it... which is Danish for "CHINA".   I cannot tell which animals were supposed to be for China... but maybe some of both Farm and Zoo animals could have been found there.   Can't make out the details.....
  • ZanderZander Member Posts: 5
    klatu003 said:
    I bought two elephants a couple of years ago (for LOTR of course) and one of the ears went missing.  Now, I have found the ear and can't find the elephants.  What is it about elephants?
    Can't remember.  :p

Seriously, I bought one on BrickLink some years ago. I don't recall it being hugely expensive; I think it was around £6 ($10). Seemed fairly reasonable. I feel sorry for people who are after one today.

I also have a goat.

I'm lucky that I've been an AFOL a long time. I buy parts that catch my eye not too long after they come out even if I don't have an immediate use for them. By the time I do, the prices have often rocketed. If you're getting into LEGO now, I suggest browsing BrickLink and keeping an eye on new sets, and building a reserve of parts that might be difficult/expensive to pick up in future. 
    madforLEGO
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Yup, the Orient Adventure sets are one of the coolest themes LEGO ever offered. The design, figs, playability and level of "exoticness" is just incredible. So nothing surprises me about the price increase as quantities were much more limited in the early 2000's. Glad I picked up most of these sets in 2008 when I began collecting for me (as opposed to just buying for my son.) If I were a child at that time, this would have been the theme that I would have played with the most. It quickly takes you to a fascinating other place in time where anything is possible.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Yeah, my brother got one of these for his birthday back in the day, and it's always been one of his favourite 'bits' (it's not really a whole set, but it's not a minifig...). We actually have both sets that originally came with elephants but our Scorpion Palace was missing the elephant when we got it...

It's just a very nice shape, I think. Very much recognisable as an elephant, but still has a very 'Lego' feel about it. Like, it's not too realistic, it is still kinda square like a Lego animal should be.
    Andor
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    I didn't even know there were elephants! They're so cute! Going to add one to my "wants list"! :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Istokg said:

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide Chapter on LEGO Prototype Sets/Parts.

There were a lot of drugs back then.
    hkcrazy88
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,818
    I had a bunch of that set back when they came out. Wal-Mart clearanced them for $5 each. I ended up keeping one I think.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I guess people are willing to spend the money. Goats weren't going for too much just a few months ago it looks like, but since then only higher priced items are listed and they've still sold. Sorry if this is offensive, but people are idiots thinking a tiny plastic goat or elephant is WORTH that much. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some elephants and goats, but I wouldn't pay those absurd prices for one.
    hkcrazy88MrTjips
    ^

<<cough cough>> Mr. Gold <<cough cough>>
    <<cough cough>> Cloud City Boba Fett <<cough cough>>
    madforLEGOchuckp
    Maybe some of the LEGO elephant seekers are trying to remake the 1916 silent picture classic.... D. W. Griffiths movie INTOLERANCE.... probably the costliest silent picture of all time.....  and based on the prices of these elephants.... the costliest LEGO movie set of all time.....   :p

• RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 356
     ^^I picked up the farm animal group from MVR which is the only source of the goats (2 goats, 1 pig, 3 chickens) for $22 plus shipping in the last week, and did feel a little silly doing so.  However, I could turn around and sell 1 goat and basically cover the entire transaction.  (But I'm not going too... so not sure if that makes me more or less of an idiot.  :/)  I've been surprised at a few items recently that really seem to be jumping up quickly in value, such as the animal costume CMFs, rare animals, blue base plates (only kind of kidding there...).  Supply (goats only in 1 set ever) and demand  (increasing interest in Lego) will do some funny things to prices.  Now I just have to spot what will start increasing next and buy them before they get out of my price range!
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,543
    Smaug is sure to cost a lot a minute after the sets are sold out. It doesn't look like Lego made that many hobbit wave 3 sets and most places are not selling them. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    I would not pay that price either, but I would not call people 'idiots' here. Many here are fans of LEGO, that also means those who MOC and build displays. They are collectors who will pay what they want to collect the parts they want, obviously there must be plenty of 'idiots' to drive the price that high to begin with. There are people that have disposable income and spend it. Is it really different than someone buying 50 K sports car?

matticus_bricksVorpalRyuGuroooAndornatro220hkcrazy88
    ^^ Agreed - Smaug is a fantastic figure and will likely shoot up in value immediately
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    I guess that makes me a little more happy about the 3 MVR's I have.

On a side note - when my wife looks at my LEGO stash and complains about it - I just show her how much the POTC Ships and BBB are going for (I have two BBB that I picked up on whim from Walmart - clearanced for $40).
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Istokg said:
    Maybe some of the LEGO elephant seekers are trying to remake the 1916 silent picture classic.... D. W. Griffiths movie INTOLERANCE.... probably the costliest silent picture of all time.....  and based on the prices of these elephants.... the costliest LEGO movie set of all time.....   :p

Hahaha! Gary, I love this photo! Wish I had been around in the 1930's when my Mom was a child; she got to go to all the silent movies for free because her mom played the piano during the films. It would have been wild seeing Grandma play and Mom jump up and down cheering with the crowd. 

BTW I DID find an "elphant" today in my Orient Adventure sets. HOORAH!!!
    Andor
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,216
    Istokg said:

There were a lot of drugs back then.
    Are you sure that is supposed to be "Hippos" and not "Hippies" ? ;)
    SumoLegobobabricksTheLoneTensor
    Either way, you need to keep hippies and hippos away from the china.

(And most especially the bulls!)
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    If there is one universal truths its that you can't keep hippies confined to any one location they don't want to be
    SumoLego
    What about no Frisbee or no hacky sack zones?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    Sethro3 said:
    Sorry if this is offensive, but people are idiots thinking a tiny plastic goat or elephant is WORTH that much.
    There's really no thinking involved. It's worth what people are willing to pay.
    binaryeye said:
    Sethro3 said:
    Sorry if this is offensive, but people are idiots thinking a tiny plastic goat or elephant is WORTH that much.
    Yes, but some people find it "idiotic" to pay so much money for a tiny piece of plastic.

It's all about emotions: you desperately want some, you see it, you can pay what is asked for, snap, something in your brains says to you DO IT. And you bought it...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    MrTjips said:
    binaryeye said:
    Sethro3 said:
    Yes, but some people find it "idiotic" to pay so much money for a tiny piece of plastic.
    That's not what was said. One can rationally believe in the worth of an item while also believing anyone that purchases it is an idiot. To consider those that believe in the worth of an item idiots, when there is objective market history to back it up, is ridiculous.
    madforLEGO
    I think we both are saying more or less the same but nevertheless it is al about emotions like I said before.