Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Emerald City Comic Con Exclusives- Crusader Figures are Custom Printed and Not Genuine

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,235
Hi Everyone,

Some exclusive 1/500 "LEGO" Crusader figures from the Emerald City Comic Con are starting to pop up on eBay. These are not genuine LEGO branded figures. They are made up LEGO elements, however all the decals are custom printed

I just wanted to make this public to everyone, as the listings do not do a good job of indicating that they are custom printed, but rather list them as genuine LEGO figures. No need for someone to be emptying their wallet for custom figures :)

Details from:
http://emeraldcitycomicon.com/current-exclusives/

Happy building!
PoochybobabricksPitfall69oldtodd33Goldchainscarlq

Comments

• SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    How much are they selling for?
    I'm just curious
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,235
    Too much for custom printed figures:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=lego+crusader+eccc&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

You'll notice that unfortunately most of the sold listings don't have the words "custom printed" anywhere in the description or the title... leading people to believe they are actually genuine LEGO endorsed products.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Are the ones given out at the convention genuine lego printed?
    No, the ones sold at the convention are custom printed. The figures are purchased at the convention, and the some people are trying to capitalize on this by then selling them on eBay (for what is I assume is a decent profit). 
    So they are genuine convention ones, and are custom printed, so I don't really see the problem. It's not like they are custom / fake versions of the convention ones.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,224
    I think he is just saying that these aren't officially licenced and printed by Lego and are not like SDCC Exclusives.
    bluemodern
    @CCC ;
    Pitfall69 said:
    I think he is just saying that these aren't officially licenced and printed by Lego and are not like SDCC Exclusives.
    This, yes. With the problem being that the ones on eBay are being sold as officially licensed and printed by LEGO by the fact that no one is mentioning in the title or description that they are custom printed pieces (which they are). Does that make sense?
    The current ones I read said they are custom printed.
    edited April 2015
    I guess also the sellers are not doing anything wrong, although it is borderline. Are they Lego? Yes. Are they genuine convention figures? Yes.

This is probably a case if buyer beware, and do your research as to what was given away at the convention.
    @CCC - I'm really not understanding the problem here. Are you against me trying to help people or something?

I'm posting to make sure that no one gets confused and purchases think that they are official licensed figures. Many of the listings do not mention that they are custom printed, which is misleading. I just want to make sure no one gets misled and purchases them thinking they are official LEGO figures (Similar to the SDCC exclusives) which I believe could easily happen. 

I've written the most recently published listing and told them to add custom printed (which they did) because they were advertising them as licensed LEGO figures.

If you already know they are custom printed, then that's great, and you don't need to be concerned about the figures nor this post. 
    yys4ubluemodern
    No, not at all. But I don't think the sellers are being misleading on purpose. They are genuine convention giveaways.
    CCC said:
    No, not at all. But I don't think the sellers are being misleading on purpose. They are genuine convention giveaways.
    Perhaps not, perhaps yes. It's hard to tell. I'm sure some have no clue (for example the one person I wrote had no idea they were custom printed), and others do know that they are custom printed and yet still have no problem advertising them as genuine.

Either way though, it's important to bring to light to the consumer that they are indeed not licensed LEGO products, but rather custom printed figures made by ECCC. 
    Yes, no real different to all the custom makers or indeed Fairy Bricks ones. The prices seem about right for exclusive custom figures. More than the $20-30 a piece for unlimited ones, and significantly lower than the SDCC ones.
    CCC said:
    Yes, no real different to all the custom makers or indeed Fairy Bricks ones. The prices seem about right for exclusive custom figures. More than the $20-30 a piece for unlimited ones, and significantly lower than the SDCC ones.
    I have a feeling they would be going for much less if they were properly advertised as "custom printed", but that's just my personal opinion. 
    BACbrixVorpalRyu
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I agree with @samiam391 they should not be advertised unless clearly stated as CUSTOM because although genuine LEGO they still are not licensed official sets making it a difference of one word to trick the customer. If buyers new they were not official LEGO products I feel demand and prices wout plummet. So yes they are being deceitful to a degree for sure.
    VorpalRyu
    Here's my take:

The Lego store in Liverpool gave out 500 sets to commemorate their Grand Opening. The set is supposed to be "The Beatles", but nowhere on the packaging does it say who the 3 minifigures are or say "The Beatles" anywhere on the packing because Lego didn't aquire a licence to sell them as such. The set itself is an official Lego set. If I were a Beatles fan and purchased this set on Ebay and the seller didn't disclose that the set wasn't an official Beatles item, I would be mad and complain.

Here, we have official Emerald City Comic Con Lego minifigures, but the Lego themselves are not endorsed by Lego. Yes, real Lego minifigure, but custom printing. I will use the same as above. If I bought the item and then gound out later it wasn't an official Lego product, I would probably be mad. Yes, the buyer should have some sense of common sense in both cases and do their research, but someone who knows nothing about Lego and buys this set for a friend or relative may not not know. @samiam391 is just looking out for the fellow Bricksetter :)
    BACbrixGoldchainsVorpalRyuthenos
  • david325david325 Member Posts: 138
    As none of them say Official Lego, I don't see the issue.
    Without getting into a long discussion about copyrights and what not, I wouldn't think Lego would take kindly of people profiting off their product. I don't even know if custom printed Lego is really legal.

I know that Nike owns the rights to Tiger Woods' name. He can't do anything with his name without approval from Nike. He tried to open up a restaurant with his name on the front and Nike said "nope".
    david325 said:
    As none of them say Official Lego, I don't see the issue.

This isn't a post saying the sellers are doing anything wrong. This is a post to bring awareness to the fact that these ECCC LEGO "exclusives" are not licensed LEGO products but are custom printed. :)
    BACbrixSirBenSumoLegoVorpalRyubluemodern
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,346
    My only suggestion would be to change the wording of the end of the topic title to 'Not Licensed Lego Exclusives'
    @CCC is correct in that the figures offered are geniune.
    SumoLego said:
    My only suggestion would be to change the wording of the end of the topic title to 'Not Licensed Lego Exclusives'
    Fair enough. I don't really put much thought into the post, nor did I think it would bring up this much debate... I wrote it just as a quick cautionary post to anyone considering purchasing the figures. I guess next time I'll try to be more particular ;)
    SumoLego
    Why does my post deserve a spam flag @1265 ? Hey @samiam391 that's -1 point!!!
    BACbrix
    Looks like this thread was worth it after all :)
    Pitfall69SumoLegoBumblepants
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940

-

SumoLego
    ^Thanks, that's all I wanted was an explination ;)
    natro220GothamConstructionCo
    edited April 2015

Condescending and/or patronizing.

natro220
    Anyway, it was just a joke between @samiam391 and I. Do what you will with the spam flags, I sure Sam will thank you :) I do appreciate when Bricksetters try to look out for one another. I'm sorry that your good deed was misconstrued :(
    ^^
    No hard feelings.....I still live the life as a Lego Playboy.  :smiley: 
    Oh, I'm not mad at all :)
    SumoLegoGoldchains
    Pitfall69 said:
    Oh, I'm not mad at all
    Fair enough.  Maybe a minion or surrogate  :p
    There is a difference with that Bizarro. Pitfall has called it a genuine Lego product. It isn't. It would be a genuine pitfallcon figure, if such a thing existed and it was given away at the event.

You have to read all the words in context, not individual words one at a time.
    SumoLego
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Indeed, and the context of @samiam391 s comments was pretty clear and obviously trying to help.
    SumoLego
    @CCC - @Pitfall69's art project minifigure appears to be 'constructed' with genuine Lego parts, and it is licensed by PitfallCon, but it's not licensed by Lego as a PitfallCon Exclusive.

I feel as though I'm over-lawyering this. But we should be technically and factually accurate.

I was corresponding with a fellow that was way too loose with definitions with regard to a Mr. Gold that is a custom piece made from Lego parts.

The interesting part of this is type of discussion is Lego producing those non-licensed pseudo Beatles tribute minifigs from that store opening. They meet two of the three criteria, but are obviously not licensed by the Beatles' estates (and Paul McCartney). I also find it amusing that there's no Ringo.
    @samiam391 - I didn't mean it as a criticism. The figures are clearly not SDCC-type Lego exclusives and shouldn't be treated in that manner.

But they're also not non-Lego knock-offs, so the post could be misconstrued.
    Yes, my post was meant to be funny, but also to further my previous comments. The "Bizarro" minifigure is genuine Lego, but was "painted"...well...mutilated :) I agree, Samuel's wording could have been better and I don't think the people selling the minifigures are trying to rip anyone off, but I still applaud Sam for trying to alert Bricksetters :)

BTW, you can tell by reading the threads in the forum, that it is a slow news week.
    SumoLegonatro220
    April is usually pretty slow. The 4th quarter set announcements are a few months off...
    Wel i thought this would be a helpful thread, but it would appear I was wrong.

I think this thread has overstayed its welcome... I'm going to request that it be closed @rocao @drdavewatford
    Thanks!
    I'm sure there are a few people out there that have been bamboozled into purchasing custom minifigures believing they were something else... believing they are Lego licensed products.
    VorpalRyu
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I thought it was useful warning fellow members and it was kind of you. But the people arguing it's unimportance are usually the reason why I wouldn't post warning threads because I would rather them get juped on their own :D
    SumoLego
    ^ Nice

You already bought one of @Pitfall69's exclusive bizarre Superman?

When is PitfallCon?
    ^June 5-7 ;)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    ^ I was going to say April 1st.
    chuckp
    Comic con tickets.:
    BACbrix
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,470
    I would buy tickets to PitfallCon
    VorpalRyu
    ^I couldn't imagine how chaotic 3 days of something organized by myself would be :)
    VorpalRyu
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,470
    ^Me either. That is why I would buy tickets :)
    VorpalRyu
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,821
    @Pitfall69 I assume you don't plan vacations then :)
    VorpalRyu