Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,513
    Shib said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    Fingers crossed for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' sets. I would love them to do remakes from the original films since I missed out on most of them.
    The funny thing from my point of view is that just about every LEGO show I've helped out at when I get talking to parents and they realise I'm there because I'm a LEGO fan not because someone's paying me I almost always get asked about when there will be more Harry Potter LEGO. Generally the parents have children who were too young for LEGO when the sets were sold but their kids now love Harry Potter and LEGO so accordingly want some sets. There is definitely still a market for it, but the new films are likely to be the thing that brings it back.
    I like to think if we get FBAWTFT sets then TLG would probably do a few HP rehashes at the same time if licensing etc allows, but only time will tell on that one.
    My take is that we'll get a range of sets for Fantastic Beasts and probably at least a few key HP characters for Dimensions, possibly some sets too, as was done with OT Star Wars when prequels came out and LotR piggybacking off of the Hobbit.

The FB film is slated for November next year, so Dimensions will have been around for a year by the time the merchandising machine gears up for the film, so it'll get a shot in the arm with a new licence, and new HP/FB sets would be on a lot of kids' Christmas lists. TLG did say all along that new licences would be added to Dimensions. 

I read a Warner Bros press release for the Licensing Expo last week and LEGO's name pops ups many times, as WB's construction toy partner. FB was only mentioned in passing and nothing was said about potential products for it but I'd be shocked if they don't have an agreement already sewn up for the FB toy licence given how the TLG/WB relationship currently stands.  
    Shib
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    edited June 2015
    in action
    Galactus
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,159

interesting game mechanic of different areas of the stand relating to different things in the game, but ultimately seems to just be trying to find more excuses to have a physical toy that isn't really needed.
    Galactusdougts
    Having watched Nintendo's E3 event last night an odd thought has just occurred to me. I don't actually expect this to happen...but...

One of the surprising announcements was that Nintendo have allowed 2 characters (bowser and Donky Kong) to feature as Nintendo exclusive characters for the next Skylanders...these skylanders figures will also function as Amiibo figures...

If a similar deal was met over Dimensions it could lead to the Link minifigure that constant Ideas projects show a lot of people want.

As I say I don't actually expect it to happen, but interesting to consider.
    AanchirElune
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,239
    @Shib, would be nice, but from what I've read, Bowser & Donkey Kong will be exclusive to the Nintendo ports of the game. Its been alleged a few times that there are some big issues between WB & the big N, apparently its a large part of the reason why the Nintendo ports of the Lego games haven't gotten the DLC that XBox & PS did. If this feud is real & very much alive, WB giving Nintendo an exclusive character for Dimensions would take a small miracle.
    xiahna
    The whole DLC thing is a bit of a murky one, it started out as part of a bigger problem with the Nintendo Wii's internal storage issues (and hit a lot of cross platform games)

The bigger problem would likely be getting Nintendo to allow WB to use one of their characters - this was one of the big things with the Skylanders crossover, Nintendo are very protective of their characters, but it has happened before - Link appeared in Soul Caliber (I forget which one) as the Nintendo exclusive character. Of course IF it did happen then it would also require an agreement with LEGO as well as an agreement with WB/TT - it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it could hypothetically happen at some point in the future, but I wouldn't count on it. 

An additional interesting hypothetical is to consider what XB/PS exclusives might be used...

One thing I am hoping for with Dimensions is that it might lead to LEGO at least considering more computer game themes, they don't need to go mad, but it'd be nice if they picked up another when Minecraft is done.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see some of the big N's IPs involved with Lego, especially Metroid. Metroid is the one game I want to see TLG get the rights to, 2016 would be the best time for it, Samus' 30th anniversary!

Other game franchises I'd want to see TLG acquire the IP rights to would be, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, StarCraft & MechWarrior (I know technically they'd need to get the rights BattleTech not MechWarrior)...

I'd also like to see TLG branch out with other game styles. Want to see a Lego FPS, something akin to Halo 3/Halo Reach gameplay wise, just imagine that with something like the map forging utility in Halo.
    xiahna
    I know that there's often shooting involved in the LEGO games, but given how funny LEGO can be about guns I doubt a FPS would ever happen. Something like StarCraft etc could (I'm saying this as someone who only played the original, so I assume it's still the same basic mechanic) 

Metroid would be really interesting to see done as a LEGO theme, would give a load of new armour/weapon parts for Space fans and some of the ships etc could be awesome if done well.

Star Fox is another one I'd love to see as a LEGO theme, there are a couple of great Arwings on Ideas, one I seem to remember had a really good Fox McCloud mini figure concept using the Chima Furty head as a base.

Stuff like Tomb Raider could be interesting too, but more for scenery based sets (which are always few and far between these days) and would work as a licenced version of some of the Adventurers based stuff.
    *Just missed the edit time*

I'd forgotten about the 1 year expiry, most of the good Star Fox projects are now expired.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    Shib said:
    *Just missed the edit time*

I'd forgotten about the 1 year expiry, most of the good Star Fox projects are now expired.
    Even so, with the new StarFox game just announced (with transforming vehicles, at that — built-in play feature!), I think now's as good a time as any for somebody to propose a new one!

Nintendo has definitely been looking into some creative ways to use Amiibo — other than the Skylanders Amiibo of Bowser and Donkey Kong, there are the plush Amiibo for Yoshi's Wooly World and plans for actual transforming Amiibo for StarFox Zero. With this in mind, I imagine the idea of "LEGO Dimensions Amiibo" of Nintendo characters would be quite a popular one with Nintendo, provided they can overcome whatever resistance they encounter from Warner Bros' end of the arrangement.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited June 2015
    Just saw this via hothbricks:

Look at Venkman: new hair piece and printed arms (allegedly with the GB no-ghosts logo on the right arm, too but not pictured at this angle).

On the one hand i'm ecstatic with joy at the arm-prints finally being added... on the other I'm thoroughly peeved that they didn't have the sense to do this in the FIRST EFFING PLACE!!! *must. control. nerd rage.*

Most of my irritation stems of course from the fact that, if this is the only GB they release, then purchasing four of these venkman game packs becomes an absolute must... for no reason other than ripping his arms off to stick onto the rest of the busters... sometimes LEGO I could just aaAAaaAaAAAaEEeAAaEEEGGHHH!!!! ;o)

BrickDancerprincedraven
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    edited June 2015

I noticed watching the Portal YouTube video last night that you can put multiple characters on each section of the stand, and that where you put them activated different functions - i.e. putting Batman onto the left stand made him grow, on the right stand made him do something else.

This seemed to create an interesting gameplay mechanic in that moving the characters around became part of the Portal puzzle solving- you had to move them to activate one trait, then maybe go through a portal, then move them back to deactivate that trait. I had assumed until now that each section of the stand simply had one character or vehicle at a time, it seems like they can handle a few at once though which begs the question, how many can you put on a stand at any one time? There looks to be one central stand, and two L-shaped stands with room for 3 characters each - does that mean that if the gameplay to support it exists you can you use 7 minifigs at once if you put them all on for example maybe switching between characters as you do in current Lego games? This is a step up from Infinity where you get 2 fixed slots and that's it.

I like the idea of this, but the stand is wired, and this could be annoying as I typically leave the TTL stands next to the console. I don't really want to stand right in front of my TV where the console is to play, or to literally be getting up and sitting down literally every 5 seconds. Nor do I want a cable trailing right across the living room floor where dogs and people will inevitably trip on it.

I'll be intrigued to see how this all works - I really like the idea of the stand itself becoming part of the game play puzzle even if it's possibly going to be frustrating in practice.

edited June 2015
    legomatt said:
    Just saw this via hothbricks:

Look at Venkman: new hair piece and printed arms (allegedly with the GB no-ghosts logo on the right arm, too but not pictured at this angle).

On the one hand i'm ecstatic with joy at the arm-prints finally being added... on the other I'm thoroughly peeved that they didn't have the sense to do this in the FIRST EFFING PLACE!!! *must. control. nerd rage.*

Most of my irritation stems of course from the fact that, if this is the only GB they release, then purchasing four of these venkman game packs becomes an absolute must... for no reason other than ripping his arms off to stick onto the rest of the busters... sometimes LEGO I could just aaAAaaAaAAAaEEeAAaEEEGGHHH!!!! ;o)

http://www.hothbricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/lego-dimensions-ghostbusters-600x373.jpg

It's a matter of budget, I think — LEGO Ideas didn't have the budget to support new molds (since those sets are produced in such limited batches), but LEGO Dimensions clearly does. Not sure why printed arms were omitted from the Ideas project but it wouldn't surprise me if that was a budget-related issue as well.

On the plus side, I think once Dimensions is a thing, there will be a greater chance that IP-based Ideas projects will be able to piggyback off of it in order to get new molds at the time of release. The Doctor Who minifigure in LEGO Dimensions has the same hair piece as Venkman as well as a sonic screwdriver, and while we don't know for certain whether the Doctor Who LEGO Ideas set will have the screwdriver, it's pretty certain that he'll use the hair (which has appeared in teaser images and videos not obviously connected with LEGO Dimensions).

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited June 2015
    ^ Yeah, I know about the 'no new moulds for ideas sets' thing... I was addressing more the printed arms in my (light-hearted) gripe. The GB logo is such a (literally) iconic part of the costume, and with four torsos in each set, that's plenty more use than most arm prints see, seems such a glaring omission.

The cynic in me now expects to see a new Egon in 6 months, this time with printed kneepads on the legs. LOL

*narrows eyes*

...Really, Lego? ...Really?

In such an eventuality, i will probably need an instant teleport device to shout at least one naughty word from the distant safety of a lonely mountaintop (saving my nearest and dearest from a startle). I might even stretch to a second unseemly utterance should the breeze be in a favourable direction.

I will, of course, at the said hour write a heartfelt letter of apology to the nearest hill farmers for any sudden fright their flocks are forced to endure as a result of witnessing my ungentlemanly outburst. (Though why anyone would choose to farm hills instead of livestock in this day and age is beyond my reckoning, but to each their own). One can only hope it is not the height of the trekking season.

Note for self: Check those dates. Nobody likes a bad date... (Death may ensue, and that's not good for morale for a start).
    :)

DoctorMcGann
    legomatt said:
    ^ Yeah, I know about the 'no new moulds for ideas sets' thing... I was addressing more the printed arms in my (light-hearted) gripe. The GB logo is such a (literally) iconic part of the costume, and with four torsos in each set, that's plenty more use than most arm prints see, seems such a glaring omission.

The cynic in me now expects to see a new Egon in 6 months, this time with printed kneepads on the legs. LOL

*narrows eyes*

...Really, Lego? ...Really?

In such an eventuality, i will probably need an instant teleport device to shout at least one naughty word from the distant safety of a lonely mountaintop (saving my nearest and dearest from a startle). I might even stretch to a second unseemly utterance should the breeze be in a favourable direction.

I will, of course, at the said hour write a heartfelt letter of apology to the nearest hill farmers for any sudden fright their flocks are forced to endure as a result of witnessing my ungentlemanly outburst. (Though why anyone would choose to farm hills instead of livestock in this day and age is beyond my reckoning, but to each their own). One can only hope it is not the height of the trekking season.

Note for self: Check those dates. Nobody likes a bad date... (Death may ensue, and that's not good for morale for a start).
    :)

I learned on the LEGO Inside Tour that LEGO's regular printing machines they use for most minifigure torsos actually can't print the arms, so they need to put those through a separate machine. Probably why printed arms on minifigures are so rare in general outside the CMFs.
    dannyrww
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,330
    Got my tax return back and got the Wii U finally. We reserved the game and the Back to the Future Pack and the Wicked Witch....figured those would be the most popular of the ones we want. Even my wife seems excited about this game.
    Look what I found when I followed the game stop preorder link http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/lego-dimensions-fun-pack-cyberman-dr-who/123272
    look like you can play as all the doctors 
    Makes sense....there is a clip in there of Gandalf in white...so I'm guessing many of the characters can switch to a different outfit/regeneration.
    On Brickfan it says that when he dies the first time he regenerates into the 1st Doctor and works his way up to 12 again. Might be the first time I try to get a Lego character to die in a game.

I think that could be a good indication of what the Daleks in the DW set might be, I'll be happy if they do look like the ones in that video.
    Did you click my link to game stop. It shows the Cyberman and dalek set
    I didn't notice that, video obviously caught my easily distracted eye...I'm hoping we get a dalek in the IDEAs set, don't want to pay the premium for the dimensions figs if i can help it.
  • cakeinmilkcakeinmilk London, UKMember Posts: 33
    Also the Dalek in the Dimensions pack is tan/dark tan rather than light/dark grey as shown in the game footage.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 754
    Ooooo, the Daleks look fabulous! And Cybermen. And K-9!! I hope they're making all these for real, not just in a game. Here's the best shot of K-9 I've seen so far: http://nerdist.com/doctor-who-invades-lego-dimensions-in-new-trailer-and-screenshots/?gallery=275523#gallery
    I would bet some of those are not in the set...that being said the cyberman and Dalek will be $15 so its not too bad if you want to pick up extra even if they are in the set (or an extra cyberman to make Handles with)
    I'm hoping for Tom Baker to show up somewhere.
    legomatt
    I'm still wondering if they'd do something in the way of a CMF/all or multiple doctor mini figure packs - so you can buy the set then buy whatever extra Doctors you want.
    dannyrwwlegomatt
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    I really hope the LEGO Ideas - Doctor Who set contains most of the figures LEGO produces from the licence. It would be very disappointing to see exclusive minifigures in these packs.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 779
    So I took the time last night to gather all the sets that will be available for the game into a list complete with release dates. As many of these sets will probably be difficult to find due to their insane (inevitable) popularity, I thought that I would share the list here (by release date) so people can pre-order accordingly:

September 27th, 2015:
    -Lego Dimensions (the game itself)
    -Wonder Woman Fun Pack
    -Cyborg Fun Pack
    -Jurassic World Team Pack
    -Laval Fun Pack
    -Cragger Fun Pack
    -Eris Fun Pack
    -Emmet Fun Pack
    -Unikitty Fun Pack
    -Benny Fun Pack
    -Bad Cop Fun Pack
    -Legolas Fun Pack
    -Gollum Fun Pack
    -Gimli Fun Pack
    -Zane Fun Pack
    -Nya Fun Pack
    -Jay Fun Pack
    -Portal 2 Level Pack
    -Scooby-Doo Team Pack
    -Simpson's Level Pack
    -Wicked Witch Fun Pack

November 3rd, 2015
    -Doctor Who Level Pack
    -Lego Ninjago Team Pack
    -Bart Simpson Fun Pack
    -Krusty the Clown Fun Pack

January 29. 2016
    -Doc Brown Fun Pack
    -DC Comics Team Pack
    -Cyberman Fun Pack
    -Sensei Wu Fun Pack

March 31st. 2016
    -Aquaman Fun Pack
    -Superman Fun Pack
    -Bane Fun Pack

May 31st, 2016
    -Lloyd Fun Pack

People will certainly be confused on release day when they see that the Doctor Who packs will not be available. Shame too. It does build up hype for them though.

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    Shib said:
    I know that there's often shooting involved in the LEGO games, but given how funny LEGO can be about guns I doubt a FPS would ever happen. 
    It all depends on how it's done. If it's something like they did on Rayman's Raving Rabbids, where they're just shooting with plungers, I think it's quite plausible.
    But would FPS fans really see that as a FPS, probably not. They might put a FPS element into a game as mini games etc but I wouldn't expect a fully fleshed out LEGO FPS.
    @Shib, TLG so need to let TT build a full on FPS, with a map construction tool much like Forge in Halo... Would be #AWESOME!
    xiahna
    edited July 2015
    Had a look at the achievements earlier for the 360 version, presumably they'll be the same for the X1, PS4 and every other platform, but what's a little unnerving is that Portal, Doctor Who and various other achievements are delivered with the core game.

It seems a bit of a poor show if you can't get 100% completion without having to spend beyond the £100 for the initial game and I'm actually surprise they're allowed to do this, it used to be against Microsoft's rules at least.

So this could mean something else, perhaps there is actually Doctor Who and Portal content in the base game? Otherwise a £100 game which is effectively uncompleteable without further expenditure is a bit off. Microsoft's rules were always that additional content with achievements had to be in addition to the 1000 Gamerscore you'd typically get with a retail game and that the core retail game should always allow for 1000/1000 completion.

So either this rule has finally been broken, as far as I'm aware, for the first time ever just for TLG, or the core game has Doctor Who and Portal content in even without paying the extra for those addons. Anyone know?
    I'm pretty sure they said that Portal (if not also Doctor Who) was going to feature in the main story, ditto Wizard of Oz, but if you want to play the characters/unlock extras you need the fun packs etc. 
    I could be wrong on that though, but that was very much the impression I was under after the Portal trailer was released.
    It did seem implied that Portal was part of the regular game.
    edited July 2015
    That's a relief at least. Looks like the main game may have decent value then after all if it's got content including everything ranging from the Wizard of Oz to Portal, Batman to Lord of the Rings (achievement called Riddle Earth with the Riddler's hat- DC Riddler/LotR cross over!?), to Simpsons, to Doctor Who.

Probably explains the £100 price tag too though, £40 for the game, then £60 of licensing on top :wink: 
    Am I the only one excited about the real world building aspect to this? I like the idea that you will have builds that only have instructions in the game. True you could probably play the game without ever doing these builds, but it really seems like TT and Lego have gone out of their way to tie together the worlds of toy and video game play.
    I think it's a nice idea but ultimately I would find it too distracting to the gameplay to actually do it, especially the changing vehicles for the needed situation thing.
    Yeah the annoying thing for me with the builds is the fact I don't sit next to my console and the portal won't be wireless so either cable trawling across the floor to be tripped on or getting up every 5 minutes.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Problem for me is I don't have time to play games. So I'll be buying up lots of these packs for the figures or mini builds and tossing aside the game portion...talk about a waste.
  • husky96husky96 Member Posts: 46
    My son and I played the demo at SDCC on Saturday and while he really liked it, I agree that having to get up to change out characters during the game will be a pain in the rear. With that being said, we don't have Skylanders or Disney Infinity to compare how much of an inconvenience this is.  

We got to use Dr. Who characters, Batman, LEGO movie, and Scooby Doo characters with 4 areas to choose from. He's going to like the game when it comes out, but I'm still open minded before I give my final judgement. I also know that this is capable of being very spendy with all of the different themes offered. 
    I guess I look at it this way. We do play Skylanders and infinity.....I switch between games as it is hard to invest in both. One thing I have found is you don't need every character to play the game, so we get the characters we really like and skip the ones we don't. I'd rather skip those game and invest in the Lego game this year (as if the game gets old we still have minifigures to play with and such). I will probably skip the portal set for instance as I have no interest in this. Some I may pick up on discount (Benny, Chima people, Ninjago). The one that gets me the most is i'll probably buy Emmet because I want to play as him, but I have so many Emmet figures already.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    ^^Damn more LEGO Dimensions Packs, I hope they are released next year. Too much stuff is already on my list :/
    Nice. These are unique and are some of the few figures that will not be available in other sets. Slimer surprises me as he is a new mold as well.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    andhe said:
    Bank manager with the looks of it,

Seriously, this must be the first game to achieve the £500 mark. 
    andheLordofLego
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I can see a load of bad publicity coming their way when customers start racking up purchases. Whether it matters or not i don't know, but its certainly going to happen. If they'd made the base game cheap it would have helped, but never mind!

That said, I'm loving some of these packs. My kids are focussed on Disney Infinity 3.0 due out at the end of the month, so will probably look at Dimensions close to Christmas when it should be heavily reduced. Will get some of the best packs before that probably.
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    I can see a load of bad publicity coming their way when customers start racking up purchases. Whether it matters or not i don't know, but its certainly going to happen. If they'd made the base game cheap it would have helped, but never mind!

That said, I'm loving some of these packs. My kids are focussed on Disney Infinity 3.0 due out at the end of the month, so will probably look at Dimensions close to Christmas when it should be heavily reduced. Will get some of the best packs before that probably.
    "MY CHILD WANTS ALL THESE DIMENSION PACKS AND I'M A BAD PARENT SO I BUY THEM FOR HIM EVERY TIME HE ASKS AND I HAVE SPENTT $300 ON THIS STUPID GAME ALREADY. LEGO IS EVIL AND SHOULD BE SUED FOR MAKING SUCH AN EXPENSIVE GAME"
    ~ Obnoxious, Oblivious, American, Suburban Mom
    hope slimer comes out before november so i can have in my lego city display