Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Part of it stems from the fact that such companies have successfully lobbied to defeat EU legislation that gives consumers the same sorts of rights for digital products as they do tangible products. If those sorts of laws were finally passed and enforced then that would solve half the problem, but as it stands it's not wholly clear that you have any legal recourse for getting a refund in the face of buying say, a digital game that's fundamentally broken, incomplete, or full of bugs.

Until consumer rights laws for digital content are harmonised to the same standards as for physical goods you can expect this to keep happening.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,330
    I guess they are really making portal.... and Dr. Who though too so thats cool http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-dimensions-portal-2-doctor-who-and-many-other-sets-revealed/
    bluemodern
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,709
    edited May 2015
    Oh look, Portal 2 Pack is real. (per front page) With that and Dr. Who I am officially in on this game. But will still probably wait for discounts. (edit: ^you beat me to it)
    Andor
    Okay so all of us who said there would not be a portal set or said that the one on walmart was not Portal but a portal can eat our hats now
    AndorbluemodernMODVLEXbobabricks
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Yum yum, this hat is tasty. I wonder if a bowler hat would taste better than a baseball cap.
    dannyrww
    Well still have no idea what portal is but there are enough pictures here to make it worth eating my hat (K-9...I mean that is awesome).

Andor
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    im getting all the level packs and wicked witch at launch.
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    In for Wicked Witch, Portal, Dr Who, and BTTF sets. Might as well get the game when it goes on Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts.
    Elune
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,159
    The issue for me is still that OTT UK rrp - it's so far out of line with Disney Infinity and Skylanders that it just doesn't make sense to buy it. I'm curious to know if the level packs have stickers or printed parts, if printed some of those parts would be nice to have
    beegeedee
    Also, is that a new hair piece for the Doctor?
    andhe
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Genuinely shocked about the Portal set, and now even more intrigued about what the portal level will be like. Sill won't spend £100 on it, not even close, but its become more interesting. 
    The one franchise I'm really surprised that we haven't seen included yet is Harry Potter - it could be that there's some licensing conflict, but it seems an easy way for them to pump more money out of the franchise seeing as there still seems to be good demand for more sets etc.

I suppose we might see something in a second wave but it seems like one that could be used to sell the game well.
    AdzbadboySethro3
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    edited May 2015
    I don't play video games; so I have to pay £30 for something that would normally cost £5! DAMN!! I'm collecting all the Back To The Future, The Simpsons and Doctor Who sets so I'm looking at over £100!

Shib said:
    The one franchise I'm really surprised that we haven't seen included yet is Harry Potter - it could be that there's some licensing conflict, but it seems an easy way for them to pump more money out of the franchise seeing as there still seems to be good demand for more sets etc.

I suppose we might see something in a second wave but it seems like one that could be used to sell the game well.
    Fingers crossed for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' sets. I would love them to do remakes from the original films since I missed out on most of them.
    Depends how completionist you want to be, the Portal stuff has got one of my brothers invested in the game so I'm hoping I might be able to work our a deal with him where we split the cost and he gets the discs to get the characters in game and I get the minifigures etc
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    dannyrww said:
    Okay so all of us who said there would not be a portal set or said that the one on walmart was not Portal but a portal can eat our hats now
    I'm afraid I'm going to Lib Dem it and not eat my hat. You can blame Paddy Ashdown. He set a bad example.
    LostInTranslationkhmellymel
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    On topic, though, no way I'm paying £lots to get a Chell minifig. Here's hoping I can get a deal where someone's splitting the fig from the stand.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I suspect the second hand market for the game elements will be very cheap, and the LEGO elements very high.
    plasmodiumandhe
    ^I should think you are right - which is why the best people to work out deals with will be the not FOL gamers.

Adzbadboy said:
    Fingers crossed for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' sets. I would love them to do remakes from the original films since I missed out on most of them.
    The funny thing from my point of view is that just about every LEGO show I've helped out at when I get talking to parents and they realise I'm there because I'm a LEGO fan not because someone's paying me I almost always get asked about when there will be more Harry Potter LEGO. Generally the parents have children who were too young for LEGO when the sets were sold but their kids now love Harry Potter and LEGO so accordingly want some sets. There is definitely still a market for it, but the new films are likely to be the thing that brings it back.
    I like to think if we get FBAWTFT sets then TLG would probably do a few HP rehashes at the same time if licensing etc allows, but only time will tell on that one.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    Shib said:
    ^I should think you are right - which is why the best people to work out deals with will be the not FOL gamers.

I've never had any problem getting rid of games in the past, where I have bought them for the minifig. DVDs/BRs are another matter: TLM sold very well, the Super Hero and SW ones, not at all. It'll be interesting how these go. For games, most people aren't even aware they can sometimes come with a figure and don't expect it. Here they will know that the game should have a figure with it.
    edited May 2015
    ^Which is why I might try to work out a deal with someone who wants the games but not the figures before they buy it. to some people the figures will just be clutter compared to the bases which could easily be stored, but there isn't likely to be many who want the game parts and not the figures.
    Hope the portal gun is under $5 on bricklink so I can get one for my sigfig
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Finally, a hair piece that works for Tarkin.
  • EluneElune QuébecMember Posts: 99
    I need that game.
    And I need the Portal 2 extension. (Because the cake really is a lie. ;) )
    And I definitely need to watch Doctor Who, if it be only for general knowledge.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    edited May 2015
    Nooo! Why the hell did they make Doc Brown with an exclusive hair piece! That's another £20 out my wallet :/

I makes me wonder how better LEGO Ideas sets could be if they did include the new molded pieces.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I just watched Back to the Future a few days ago and was wondering if Christopher Lloyd was still alive.

If what is shown in the new trailer is actually how things are assembled, the minifigure does separate from the base.

I wonder if that "portal" made from LEGO elements actually does anything or is just for show.

I don't understand why they aren't making "exclusive" minifigures for this game system instead of using minifigures that were or still are readily available in regular sets. I never bought the Disney game system but I was tempted just because of the figures. New LEGO minibuilds aren't enough to entice me.

• chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    If they made a kit with someone like Bellatrix Lestrange then that would tempt me.
    EluneAdzbadboy
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I actually picked up the disney game just about a week ago. They were on sale (around 50% off) and the game is fairly basic in itself and really meant for little kids - the figures are decent enough however. I think Dimensions, going by past games (Indy 2 excluded) and the trailers, has a chance of actually being a decent game.
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    Well, just up on the gaming front, I know of a few hundred gamers who don't buy Lego, who really want the portal set. Just for the figure, no interest in Lego, but love chell. Lego have been clever, Dr Who, Portal, it's pulling in non Lego customers. My only issue is they canned the ccousso/ideas set. Now they are making it. Will the ideas designers see anything for this? I.e the 1% of the set profit? I think not.
    I spot Sauron in the trailer, plus an oliphaunt and a Balrog.
    EluneAndor
    My only issue is they canned the ccousso/ideas set. Now they are making it. Will the ideas designers see anything for this? I.e the 1% of the set profit? I think not.
    The cuusoo people won't get anything, as they are not involved and didn't design the game or figure. Nor did they invent the IP. Lego has the right to make deals with existing IP holders. Just because someone says do Portal, it doesn't mean Lego has to credit them if they later decide to do it.
    BumblepantsEluneSethro3dougts
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,709
    ^That and there is no way of us knowing if these license deals were decided before or after the Ideas projects. Dimensions didn't get developed in Q1 2015. It is quite likely the license deals were being worked on or in place ages ago.
    Bigger picture, the Ideas project was for a Portal set not just for a character pack. I had to go back and remind myself what the project looked like (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/18258 ) and frankly I can't see a set design in it. Don't get me wrong what they did looks good but I can't see a viable set in the good MOC type building.
    What might have happened is at the review point TLG found they could get the IP but couldn't design a viable set from it, therefore while the project opened the IP door it is not the reason that Portal is happening, without Dimensions it wouldn't happen at all.
    *that's not to say it doesn't still suck for the creators of the project, but reality is most of what happens with ideas review is unknown to us mere mortals
    ghost buster and midway arcade will be in it. Just look in the comments of the new trailer 
    Andor
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,720
    ^Also seems to confirm that the mini-build instructions will be in the game (or that was my understanding of the cinematic page turning). Would make sense that you play through and then construct/re-build the vehicle as instructed on-screen for the next challenge.

How the portal thing identifies that you've changed the build I don't know. Or perhaps it doesn't, and just once you've clicked through the instructions assumes that you have re-built the vehicle.
    You know what I didn't notice the instructions were digital, but you're right. I suspect that the vortex doesn't read that you've physically changed it, but like you say just responds to you saying you have. Makes it easier for those that can't be bothered to rebuild every time they hit a point where they need a different gadget function.
    This article mentions the gameplay, and seems to confirm that the portal is just reading the chip, regardless of what build of fig you've put on top.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/02/lego-dimensions-vs-disney-infinity/

all you need is the base to play the game nor parts or figs
    Galactuslegomattandhe
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited June 2015
    As others have said, price is a big stumbling block for me at the moment too, so i'm in the wait and see group right now.
    But price aside it's ultimately the GAME itself which will be the big decider, so i'll be watching reviews closely for how much MORE this game is really offering (for the price) compared to existing/past TT games... after all, at £100 for base experience, plus £15 per small add-on, or £25 (price of a whole game) for other add ons, we'd be paying a LOT for this experience. Will it be such non-stop uber-fun worth adding to, or just a means of making us pay to play, but this time in a new hat... I'm hopeful, but dubious.

For instance, in previous TTgames, there has always been the entire cast of dozens upon dozens of characters available from the outset as a fundamental part of the game (which you'd unlock through gameplay, or a cheat code right off the bat if you were lazy), and recently even more characters (and extra levels i believe) available through DLCs on one/some titles. 
    Here, instead of a single IP-themed game, we have an umbrella-theme multi-IP game ('dimensions' being the umbrella theme to tie it all together). They could technically (had they wished) have trod the well worn path of the older format, (a multitude of characters available from the get go; IP-themed-world levels and characters; release extra DLC steadily over time as new worlds are created, etc).  In previous years they probably would have done this (looking at how other cross-ip games have worked).

Instead they've opted for a toys-to-life angle. Now, if you want a toys-to-life product, this is certainly the perfect game to hang it on, with all those characters across all those singed up IP's, BUT... and here's the rub...

I reeeeally hope that the toy to life thing is going to offer more than just ripping out (and selling back to us) the character hub, cast of characters, and play areas which would in previous years have been included as standard within the game (or available through dlc).  
    At £100 the base game alone needs to offer more than before, and then at £15 for every extra character we add, they too need to justify the price (lego accounted for). 

The game is (for me) going to need to offer a significant amount MORE for this extra outlay, i almost don't believe it's possible. Is this game really going to offer an ongoing experience worth £X00's+ over any standard £30 game? I really hope it does, but my inner alarm is also primed to scream at me... :)
    princedraven
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    legomatt said:

across all those singed up IP's

I smell burning... ;)

(*typo: should read 'signed-up')
    legomatt said:
    legomatt said:

across all those singed up IP's

I smell burning... ;)

(*typo: should read 'signed-up')
    singed up IPs? Prince of Persia Maybe? :D 
    legomatt
    "Kyma? Their lions attacking bears thing?" - love it.
    Elune

a one day deal for £10 off a preorder this early on screams to me that preorders are probably not going as well as GAME had hoped...

not good enough for me to bite, but anyone in the UK who thinks that's worthwhile

http://www.game.co.uk/en/lego/lego-dimensions/lego-dimensions-starter-packs/?cm_sp=Home-_-banner-_-LEGODimensions
    Just checked my preorder on Amazon which tracks the lowest price there, and it's already down to £89.99. Looks like this takes it down to £84.99 on GAME for the X1/PS4 versions.

So you're probably right, it's already getting regularly discounted to £10 - £15 off the normal RRP by the looks.

I suspect it'll go lower though quite honestly by release.
    It's not just the discount but also the use of a one day deal - typically this is to try and convince those who have been considering buying caving on an impulse - using this strategy so early in the preorder cycle just comes across as really desperate to me, if it was only a month until release then the strategy would make a lot more sense. People giving into impulse buy at this point still have a lot of time to change their minds.

It does give me hope that it might hit a decent price pretty quick, but in all honesty I'd rather not buy it at all than pay more than I'm willing to.
    It just get people on board before E3 comes.
    ^Fair point, but restricting it to a one day deal still just seems odd to me. Also the majority of the replies to GAME posting that on social media were along the lines of "still too expensive"
    The whole point in E3 is to get people on board, so it'd seem a bit odd to throw up a promotion to get people on board to get them on board.
    andhe