Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    nexander said:
    Kids have broken the toy pad. :( they tripped over the lead and suspect did something to the the usb plug. Any thoughts on way forward? Try Lego for a replacement? Or would it be warner bros?
    I'd just contact Lego, they'll point you in the right direction I'm sure. Honestly though if it's going to cost a lot to replace you could just repair it yourself or take it to an electrical repair shop, these things aren't magic, probably you've just yanked a cable off its solder joint which a repair shop will typically re-solder you for like £5 if you don't want to do it yourself.

The Xbox One basic headsets are notoriously pathetic in this manner such that dropping your controller with the headset on is enough to yank the cable loose. I've fixed 3 now (two of mine and a friends) because of this.

Of course, you will likely void your warranty but how much that matters is really up to you to decide.
    Amanda1983
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 604
    i agree with @khmellymel. i'll try and get all the trophies on all the games i play, but i'm not bothered if i dont - especially when lots of the games i play are online multiplayer or require you to play as different characters (i'm looking at you, destiny!).

but i will always try and aim for 100% on lego games. i suppose the good thing about playstation (and probably xbox) is that you can see how many you have to go via checking the trophies.
    Amanda1983
    Yeah modern consoles give you a completion progress. If something is realistically achievable to 100% I do like to go for it, but some games are at first appearance and then become impossible because of DLC.

Lego games are fairly consistently reasonably achievable to 1000 without getting tedious and boring, so I also tend to go for it.
    Amanda1983
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134

That said, you should be able to get all achievements/trophies with the starter pack alone.  The 6 level packs each open a new level, allow access to an adventure world, and offer new achievements/trophies (the achievements/trophies only show up once you play the level pack).
    That's not quite right, the Ghostbusters achievements showed up with the last update and the pack isn't even available yet. 
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    nexander said:
    Kids have broken the toy pad. :( they tripped over the lead and suspect did something to the the usb plug. Any thoughts on way forward? Try Lego for a replacement? Or would it be warner bros?
    Is there a support address in the manual/instructions or box? If not, you can always try Lego - if it's not them, the worse that can happen is they'll tell you to contact WB or whoever.
    Amanda1983
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2016
    There is a lego dimensions twitter feed - im sure they'll tell you who to contact.  http://www.twitter.com/LEGODimensions

Amanda1983
    I caved and went back to order the Ghostbusters level pack from Amazon US. At just over £20 delivered, I'm happy with that.
    Xefankiki180703Amanda1983
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 908
    Xefan said:
    I'd just contact Lego, they'll point you in the right direction I'm sure. Honestly though if it's going to cost a lot to replace you could just repair it yourself or take it to an electrical repair shop, these things aren't magic, probably you've just yanked a cable off its solder joint which a repair shop will typically re-solder you for like £5 if you don't want to do it yourself.
    I'm happy to crack it open and fix it myself
    Xefan said:
    nexander said:
    I'm happy to crack it open and fix it and save the hassle tbh but the wife is hitting me with the warranty issue. The only way it can break this way is not from a defect so I expect problems. Its been a while since I did much soldering but cant see it being hard, as you say, it ain't magic!
    edited January 2016
    If theres no external damage (to suggest its been dropped or anything) then I would have thought that it will be replaced without problem - especially if LEGO is doing it (I'll be honest, if it was me I wouldn't mention the kid tripping on the wire, a broken solder joint can happen for a multitude of reasons). As you are in the UK the normal issue is whether you should go through the shop or the manufacturer. If it was amazon for example I'd get onto them and arrange a replacement. 
    Amanda1983
    It was Game, can imagine it will be a bugger to return with all the bits :)
    edited January 2016
    Yes, GAME is likely to be harder than Amazon.

Assuming you purchased the item after Oct 1st then you're protected by the consumer rights act but if not the sale of goods act is largely the same in this case as its less than 6 months ago. As I understand it (unless there is obvious reason to think that the item has been damaged by you - ie if the casing was broken) then any fault occurring within the first 6 months is seen to be the fault of the manufacturer and hence retailer (as that is who you have a contract with). Its on to them to show that the fault wasn't present when you bought it not for you to prove that it was and the product could be faulty even if it worked for a while. In that case you can choose either a repair or replacement, if that doesn't work you can claim a refund.

For the quickest turn around I would suggest taking it into GAME (with your receipt) and hope they have the sense to switch it for one from a new box as thats easier for you and the retailer (don't have to check you've returned every piece of LEGO). I did this with a phone so companies not too dissimilar to GAME are sensible enough to do it.

If you haven't got a receipt then I guess you'll need to go down the LEGO/WB route.

Amanda1983
    Will see how I get on in game tomorrow. Thankfully the plug is quite rubbery and flexible anyway so will be hard to notice
  • NeilCrosbyNeilCrosby United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    Like @cheshirecat, I caved and ordered from the US to the UK yesterday. Annoyingly, today I got an email telling me the "good news" that they had an estimated delivery date for me. That bad news was that it was 3-5 weeks later than yesterday's estimate. Going back to the product page, and now there's a 3-5 week wait on ordering direct from amazon. Looks like they oversold :/ Ah well, I might have the product by march… 

Or I could just cancel the order. Decisions, decisions.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    My copy did arrive today, haven't had time to play it properly as I'm in the middle of moving house, but just played the tutorial to make sure it works,mehich it does,mall except the Batmobile toy tag, which will be why it was returned. Fortunately I already have a couple of other packs that I picked up on the cheap so I could finish the tutorial. Put in a request for a replacement toy tag from LEGO CS, they are oos atm but hopefully it won't take too long.
    Well managed to get to Game today and got the top pad swapped without bother. The kids will be pleased as they will now be able to play Disney infinity (they were banned until I was able to play my game). The lassie also said the dimensions annihilated skylanders over Xmas, despite the price difference. Also chatted about my Lego collection which was nice.
    kiki180703Amanda1983
    Buying half price dimensions sets from the US is strangely addictive. Third order now put in. 
    ShibMattsWhatgmonkey76LostInTranslationkiki180703dannyrwwBumblepantsbandit778Amanda1983
  • drlmiles1drlmiles1 UKMember Posts: 194
    Wave Three was supposed to have been released today in Europe. UK [email protected] still hasn't got them on the site. I ordered three of them from Amazon UK using the BIGTHANKS code that gives £10 off any single order of £50 or more, today only
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    drlmiles1 said:
    I ordered three of them from Amazon UK using the BIGTHANKS code that gives £10 off any single order of £50 or more, today only
    I had ordered them from Amazon.com as they were cheaper, but I can't wait so I ordered them from Amazon.co.uk last night at around 2130 using the £10 discount and the postie has just delivered them now. I know what I'll be doing later whilst the wife takes our son to a birthday party! 

Having had chance to play it for a while now I can safely say that the game is a lot of fun and exactly the mash up/crossover story I've wanted in a LEGO game since Indy was a bonus character in one of the star wars games.

that said I'm still not sold on TTL, it still feels like a con to me and having to have a stack of discs to put the one that I need on the base is irritating, I'd much rather have the typical character menu with all the characters on it.

I appreciate that Tt have tried to make the physical toys a part of the game with the keystone powers, but honestly I find all of those parts really tedious and not an enjoyable gameplay experience.

it's definitely worth what I paid for it, but frankly I think the RRP has been jacked up by a lot of unnecessary gimmicks. It's a good game but buy in price needs to be low to convince people it's worth buying all the add ons

VorpalRyu
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    Arg!  My game crashed while saving and it corrupted my save file.  All my progress was gone!  Fortunately I heard of it happening to somebody else so I had backed up the file (playing on a ps4 so I backed up online).  The save file was nearly two weeks old so there was a lot of missing progress but it was better than having to start over.  I am going to back up each time I play now.  The game has crashed a get times before but never caused any issues.  Has anyone else experienced crashing?

The night was not all bad.  I managed to earn the last remaining trophies.  So I have now  have 100% of the trophies, though I have a long way to go before getting all in-game collectables.
    Yes, ours has crashed a few times on the PS3.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 598
    On my fat 60GB PS3, I back up my saves every time I exit a game on an old Memory Stick permanently left in the slot.  It even comes in handy if you mess up in a game and want to revert to a previous save state.
  • jhuntin1jhuntin1 Indiana, USAMember Posts: 52
    I haven't lost my save file, but the game has crashed a few times on my Xbox One.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    I wish they just kept two save files and alternated between them each time you save.  If they also verified the integrity of each before writing then there would never be an issue.  At most you would just loose your last save point.  Then we would not have to back up on our own.
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 155
    For open worlds like BTTF and Dr. Who, since there are multiple times periods in the world, is is significantly bigger than, say Ninjago? Or are the individual worlds just smaller?
    Finally have internet back so able to update so i could play the Doctor Who level...damn that was a ridiculously tedious level, really went ott on the time teavel mechanic and it just made ot boring.

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I'm getting impatient to hear what new packs we will be getting in the summer/autumn. There's been nothing since that leaked list in October! Grrr. 

(Mainly I just want more Wizard of Oz figures) 

dannyrwwkiki180703
    seems to me that they are sticking more to the LEGO standard of reveal times as apposed to the gaming industry standard, which is a bit of a shame but understandable. 

It does seem there are quite a few licences used in the game that have no or little physical presence, I was quite surprised bu HAL showing up in a level, but couldn't imagine a pack that would go with it, although I probably wouldn't have guessed at the Midway Arcade pack before it was shown either so what do I know.

The further I've got with the story the more the TTL setup has annoyed me. I do like that it's given us some minifigures we wouldnt have itherwise got, but the pricing (particularly in the UK) just doesn't represent good value at all.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,334
    edited February 2016
    ^ I know what you mean about the pricing. Just as an exercise in curiosity I made up a spread sheet to see how cheaply I could obtain the different elements of the game, as and when I pick them up, against the R.R.P. and was actually startled at the total cost of the current, known sets that are available to buy or pre order as it was over £800 at R.R.P. 

Because I set a lot of restrictions on how much I was willing to pay I actually wound up buying a lot of additional packs before I had the game. Makes the game feel slightly better value, but only slightly.

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^the value is still a difficult thing to judge.  Let's take the fun packs for example.  A polybag with a little minibuild in is generally what £5, maybe a bit more for some with nice characters in.  So if you can pay around half price then your getting the digital bit for not much over £2, which is a pretty good deal for the amount of content.
    But then, I can't do anything with the fun packs.  I have to keep them with the game, and can't use the bricks for other stuff without making it really confusing which vehicle is which.  So they fall somewhere in between the standard TTL offering and Lego offering, making the value a bit worse.  Although some people see value in a poly without opening it so maybe that doesn't count.  I can't decide to be honest, but keep buying them in the mean time while I decide.
    MattsWhat said:
    ^the value is still a difficult thing to judge.  Let's take the fun packs for example.  A polybag with a little minibuild in is generally what £5, maybe a bit more for some with nice characters in.  So if you can pay around half price then your getting the digital bit for not much over £2, which is a pretty good deal for the amount of content.

This is very much where I stand, about half price seems fair, but then not all the fun packs are equal, e.g wicked witch gets you an additional hub world which DC/LEGO Movie/LOTR don't as Batman, Wildstyle and Gandalf open those anyway.

also to my mind thinking something needs to be half RRP to be a fair price seems ridiculous to me.

btw, I hate playing with the mini models on the bases, they take up too much space (both when playing and when stored somewhere ready to play) so I made labels for mine and just keep the little models I like out in my display case.

MattsWhatbandit778SumoLegokiki180703
    Shib said:

btw, I hate playing with the mini models on the bases, they take up too much space (both when playing and when stored somewhere ready to play) so I made labels for mine and just keep the little models I like out in my display case.

Not sure how come I didn't think of this.  Then you get the best of both worlds.  In fact, if you take the whole base apart (let's face it it doesn't really add anything), then you get a bunch of bricks too. Hmm.. you also get some trans purple shields, now what could I do with those?
    Shibkiki180703

It's a shame that I find the physical LEGO that comes with it just gets in the way, I'd quite like to build a custom gateway but I wouldn't be able to keep it on the base.

edited February 2016
    The most I've paid for a funpack is £7.40 and at that point I'm happy with it for selective characters. Being generous it's effectively two ploys (one minifigure, one model) and some times unlocks a world.  The most I've paid for a level pack is £21 and that's just about bareable although the levels themselves have been pretty disappointing. Far too short. 

What's annoying us the most?

1. The horrible move minifigure to one location on the board, then another and then the centre. It's horribly contrived, forced and gets boring very quickly even for my kids. The clever board is a terrible gimmick that hurts the game more than anything else although having up to 7 toys in game is good, and necessary for the Tt games.

2. The sizes of the updates. When we decide to play the game, which to be honest isn't that frequently, having to wait an hour to download and install a 3Gb update kills the enjoyment completely.

Thinking more about the value. I think it's hard to justify as it's largely LEGO clutter, like newspaper polies. Take a minute to build then sit somewhere collecting dust before ending up in a drawer or broken down for parts. Not good enough to display.
    Completely with you on point 1 - I find it funny that some of the move character actions can also be done with a button press (e.g light power) but annoying that others don't (master builder) also find the enemies that make you move figs to avoid damage utterly irritating, especially when you have 7 characters on there.
    edited February 2016
    ^it's very frustrating having to move them when there isn't space, especially if vehicles are included as most are bigger than the base too.
    I thought having a crowd of 6 people following me around in game was ace for all of 5 seconds, then I got in a fight and the crowd of people standing around just got annoying and in the way.  On the other hand, my 4 year old thinks it's the best thing ever.  The crowd of 20 minifigures stood around the base when they are not currently involved is the worst bit of it (not played any TTL to experience this before), I don't want to play computer games on the dining table.  My average slouched on the couch position really doesn't work sadly.
    It is a bit 'LEGO clutter'y, but I've actually been impressed with the minibuilds and most of them come with some parts that at least vaguely interest me and some have techniques that bring a small amount of joy too.

My final word on the value is that I'm more than happy to drop money on Lego that gives me less entertainment than even the fun packs.  The fact that you get less physical stuff to put into a cupboard, assimilate into the pile of lego that's too big (according to my other half) or to display for a couple of weeks until you stop looking at it, it's still giving me £ for £ more hours of entertainment than a similarly priced set.  In fact, trying to not use the instructions means that the build takes me about the same amount of time as a £15 set to be honest, so I guess I would be happy if they weren't so much cheaper everywhere else in the world.
    Shib said:

This is very much where I stand, about half price seems fair, but then not all the fun packs are equal, e.g wicked witch gets you an additional hub world which DC/LEGO Movie/LOTR don't as Batman, Wildstyle and Gandalf open those anyway.

The problem I have is that you're not getting any of this with the addon, the hub worlds and digital content were in the game as part of your £100 (or whatever you paid) purchase. You're just paying £15 for a minifig and an RFID tag to save some data on.

The problem I have with rationalising the idea of fun packs as being an acceptable price (even if discounted) based on the digital content is that you then inherently have to accept that the starter pack is even less value for money because you're attributing some of the value from that to the fun packs.

In my mind when determining value it makes little sense to attribute, say, a hub world to both the starter pack (if it comes on the original disc) and a fun pack that unlocks it, and that's why I think even at half price the value is pretty poor.

At the end of the day you're still getting far less digital content than you do for one of the twice-yearly non-TTL £40 Lego video games, and getting less Lego from the addons than you would buying an equivalent polybag for a fraction of the price.

I don't count the hub worlds in the starter pack, which I why I waited until I could get it for less than £50, therefore to my mind £7.50 isn't too bad for a fun pack that unlocks a hub world.

My logic equates it to £3 for licenced minifig, £2 for minibuild, £2 for hub world and 50p for character. For my budgeting that feels reasonable, of course everyone is likely to attribute value differently, but for me that works nice.

the big issue is the regional pricing which just completely screws us in the UK, it feels like they priced them high to account for future reductions that haven't really happened.

^ As did I - at £55 for a fairly recent release, with some bricks (the minifigs don't count as its wildstyle, batman and gandalf) the value is pretty good. Any content later unlocked is a bonus.

Of course, this means only the fist fun pack from each theme works out at even £7.50. And team packs would be about £10. But then that is roughly what I think they should be..

fun packs £5-£7.50, team packs £10-£12.50 and then level packs £15-£20. And if we lived in the US/Canada then these are about the normal costs now. 
    Shibkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,013
    Shib said

btw...on the bases... so I made labels for mine and just keep the little models I like out in my display case.

I hear you on that!

ShibMattsWhatbandit778Wicksy80sklambkiki180703gmonkey7677ncaachamps
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,570
    What currently  available  fun packs offer the best value in terms of abilities? 
    Haven't  got the game yet but am looking to pick up a  few packs on offer in advance 
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I actually like having the figures and sets on the base. Maybe having kids there is something magical about it when we play.
    princedravenkiki180703nychromastone
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 967
    What currently  available  fun packs offer the best value in terms of abilities? 
    Haven't  got the game yet but am looking to pick up a  few packs on offer in advance 
    Hard to say. There are two factors at play there—which packs offer the MOST abilities, and which offer the LEAST COMMON abilities? The Unikitty pack, for example, doesn't offer a disproportionate number of abilities, but Unikitty is the ONLY character who can break rainbow Lego objects. Of course, with abilities like that, you can just as easily just use Hire-a-Hero to clear those, since they're not exceptionally common or hard to pass.
    SumoLegokiki180703gmonkey76
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Why isn't Harry Potter in this game? No sets to promote? Da f, Warner Bros/Lego....?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,013
    My guess is that there is a figurine-based game on the horizon that will be a tie-in to the new movie.
    edited February 2016
    There was a list of abreviated Dimensions sets that are coming this year which leaked a while ago and it included some labeled HP and some labeled FB so there's a good chance they are just waiting to use ot to promote the Fantastic Beasts film.
    BumblepantsLegopassion8kiki180703
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Shib said:
    There was a list of abreviated Dimensions sets that are coming this year which leaked a while ago and it included some labeled HP and some labeled FB so there's a good chance they are just waiting to use ot to promote the Fantastic Beasts film.
    Thanks for the information!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    I have to echo some of the comments above with regards to the pricing issues - I love the game, I think it's the best LEGO work TT has done in a very, very long time, but the expansions just aren't good value for money to me. Even now I can find 3-for-2 offers on fun packs locally, with a further £2 off RRP for each pack, and I can't pull the trigger because it's still £26 for three minifigures and three insubstantial builds. There is, of course, the digital content but that doesn't make up the value gap for me. Then I look over at the neighbouring shelf and see Disney Infinity 2 for £15 and sigh a little.

I do wish that they would make it possible to fully complete the core Dimensions game without expansions (correct me if I'm wrong, but it is not possible even with 'hire-a-hero'). Obviously there is a business model to execute here, it sucks that the thing you've paid £79 for feels a little incomplete without a further outlay of a month's wages. 
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    What do you mean by core game? You can actually finish the story mode with just what comes in the starter pack. The only things I've run into that you cannot do with hire a hero are portal items and Aquaman items (as he is not hire-able yet).