Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^I assume they figured Apple owners needed the instructions where Android users could work it out for themselves.
    Joke aside, building the minibuilds from just the picture on the front has been the most fun building a non-MOC I have had for a long time.  I'm trying it with Brick Bank this weekend!
    mr.pigglesVorpalRyuCoolguy5000
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 629
    Just asking now - sorry don't have time to search the entire thread and when I searched for this question I couldn't see an answer on the forum.

I have a PS4 and my Kids are currently using my old PS3. Is it possible to share the Starter pack build between the two machines - seems silly to have two starter pack/gates when we don't need them? I'm thinking of the time we might have to give up the PS3 and migrate to the PS4.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ I guess the 'portal' would work on either, though not sure, but you were need the disc for both.
  • drlmiles1drlmiles1 UKMember Posts: 194
    Just asking now - sorry don't have time to search the entire thread and when I searched for this question I couldn't see an answer on the forum.

I have a PS4 and my Kids are currently using my old PS3. Is it possible to share the Starter pack build between the two machines - seems silly to have two starter pack/gates when we don't need them? I'm thinking of the time we might have to give up the PS3 and migrate to the PS4.
    The Portal will work across all platforms, but you need the relevant disc to run the software on a Games Console, which only comes in the full Starter pack
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 629
    Hopefully this is something they have considered in case I can pick up the game software cheaper later or indeed download it. Thanks for the info.
    Quick question. Kids got a level pack each at christmas - is there a simple way of getting into one of the non main-story levels. At the moment we start dimensions - load their saved game, pull up the menu, return to vortex (or something I can't remember) and from there can choose the, for example, portal level. But that seems very long winded.
    I'm assuming you want to run the LEVEL packs, not go to the Adventure Worlds. If you are still going through the main story, and place one of the characters from the Level packs on the Portal/Toypad, then it will take you to that Level pack. Once the level pack is finished, and you want to play it again, you have to load the saved game (which you have to do anywhere), and place the character from the level pack on the Toypad, press O (PS3) and choose the first option on the left, which enables you to select any world already completed. You will be returned to the Portal in the game, then jump through it with that same character to enter the Level pack selected
    Amanda1983
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,592
    oh yeah, I forgot they don't print manuals for games anymore...
    Amanda1983
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    drlmiles1 said:

The Portal will work across all platforms, but you need the relevant disc to run the software on a Games Console, which only comes in the full Starter pack
    Actually both the PS4 and Xbox One offer a digital version of the game so you can pick up just the software for the platform that way.
    Amanda1983
    ^ That's great, I did not realise that was possible, not owning a PS4. What does the PS4 store say about the need for the hardware in addition? (Of course, this is not an issue if you own the starter pack for any other platform)
    Amanda1983
    How's everyone doing with the game now? Despite lots of criticism about the game being too short, for completists there is loads to do. I am slowly starting to work through getting the full minikits for all the levels (of course some cannot be obtained until be get Ghostbusters and Aquaman, amongst others). There is also loads to do in the Adventure Worlds, although I struggle to complete the racing games - I always end up at some point lost for where to go next.
    Amanda1983
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I love the game. We took it slow with the story mode (despite getting it first day of release) and just finished it. My kids in I love playing in the free play worlds, so there is still plenty to do.
    Amanda1983
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    drlmiles1 said:
    The bases are cross platform except those made for the xbox 360 and xbox one.  You can't even use an xbox 360 base with an xbox one.  This is due to Microsoft using a proprietary protocol to reject non-certified accessories.

I ran into this problem when our xbox 360 died and I tried to use a Disney Infinity base on our Wii U but could not.  That is one of the main reasons why I replaced the xbox 360 with a PS4 instead of an xbox one.

While lego does not mention the hardware restrictions, Disney and skylanders do.
    http://infinity.disney.com/compatibility
    http://skylanderscharacterlist.com/getting-started/portal-compatibility/

Amanda1983
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Just started playing this yesterday, and I'm really impressed with it. It plays pretty much like any of the other TT games (apart from the obvious physical toy mechanic), but it's the story where it excels. I haven't gotten far in the game, but so far I love how they weave the different dimensions together in a narrative. I don't think there are spoiler tags on Vanilla forums so I won't offer any examples, but the way they have cross-franchise characters interacts impresses me on the same level it was done in The LEGO Movie. 
    Amanda1983
    I finished the main story a few night ago though I still need to go back and get all the collectibles.  I did notice though that there was still one locked level that is grouped with all the other main story levels.  What are the requirements for unlocking that level?
    Amanda1983
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 806
    Saw the ghostbuster level pack at Target today. I think they still have that buy one get one half off still.
    Latest update downloading as I type for the PS3 in the UK - 3766MB - getting bigger every time!
    Amanda1983
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Saw the ghostbuster level pack at Target today. I think they still have that buy one get one half off still.

Target registers won't let you buy it. A lot of stores put them out early it seems.
    Amanda1983
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    Saw posted on Hot UK Deals that the 3 fun packs released on 19th (Dr Who Cyberman, Back to the Future Doc Brown & Ninjago Master Wu) are currently $7.49 each on amazon.com and will ship to the UK with all import fees prepaid. Even with the easiest method of payment (allowing amazon to do the exchange so you pay GBP) with delivery & tax if you buy all 3 it comes to 22.76 so amazingly about £7.50 each - seems a good deal for anyone who wants all three.
    MattsWhatcheshirecatkiki180703LostInTranslationAmanda1983
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Ohhh tempting. The Dr Who set  at $22 seems pretty good too. But yes, 3 fun packs just sneak under the import VAT limit. Got them. Thanks.
    Amanda1983
    No prob, I suspect that Cyberman figure will prove popular (unless another Dr Who set with a cyberman is announced)
    Amanda1983
    edited January 2016
    The $22 ones work out at £20 each, slightly too high for me, and buying multiples to reduce the shipping adds VAT charges.
    Ah well, thanks for the heads up @Shib , snagged the three fun packs.
    Shibkiki180703Amanda1983
    Yeah, I looked at a couple of the level packs at $22 but came to the conclusion that amazon.fr has been a better option for those in the past.
    MattsWhat
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 589
    Thanks for the heads up @Shib. Bought the Dr Who and Doc Brown packs. 
    Finally taken the plunge on ordering Dimensions, found it for £40 from Amazon Warehouse - I'm aware that this might end up getting returned if it's not as described, but figured at £40 it's worth a shot.
    cheshirecatkiki180703Amanda1983
    edited January 2016
    ^what format was that? Amazon Warehouse have always been perfect for me (assuming you are going to open and use it that is) with it quite often being better than described.  I don't hesitate if it is a set I will open, especially at a price like that.

Oh.. and welcome to the dark side!
    gmonkey76kiki180703Amanda1983
    Xbox 360 - there was only 1 in stock at the time had there been more I'd have shared the price quicker, having just checked it's back to one in stock but the price has gone up.

I'd have preferred to get it Wii U but the prices for that version are still holding pretty high.

What's wound me up a little is I've been watching eBay for it and people are paying more for used than they could buy it for new if they did the leg work and looked around (amazon.fr for example)
    Amanda1983
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    Being pretty new to the party, are the currently 25% off Level & Team on Amazon a good deal or have they been lower ?
    I got all the Fun Pack I wanted at $7.49, wondering if 50% will reach Level & Team Pack.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 967
    Today on a trip to Toys R Us I found that they had all Fun Packs for $9, plus $10 off any Toys to Life purchase of $40 or more. Ended up getting five fun packs (including the Toys R Us exclusive Jay and Laval Fun Packs) for a little over $36, saving around $45. Not bad at all.
    Amanda1983
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 642
    edited January 2016
    seem like everyone is matching gamestop sale. just got wonder woman cyborg for the figs sine both are like $5 on bricklink.
    Dawn said:
    Being pretty new to the party, are the currently 25% off Level & Team on Amazon a good deal or have they been lower ?
    I got all the Fun Pack I wanted at $7.49, wondering if 50% will reach Level & Team Pack.
    Team and level packs were 30% off just after Christmas, including preorders.  But 25% is still pretty good.

Dawnkiki180703Amanda1983
    ^ Wish we could get similar offers in the UK. I haver all Level/Team/Fun packs for Waves 1&2, but hoping to get some reduction on the next 5 due out next week (have they appeared anywhere in the UK yet?)
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    Shib said:
    Saw posted on Hot UK Deals that the 3 fun packs released on 19th (Dr Who Cyberman, Back to the Future Doc Brown & Ninjago Master Wu) are currently $7.49 each on amazon.com and will ship to the UK with all import fees prepaid. Even with the easiest method of payment (allowing amazon to do the exchange so you pay GBP) with delivery & tax if you buy all 3 it comes to 22.76 so amazingly about £7.50 each - seems a good deal for anyone who wants all three.
    I ordered Doc Brown, the Cyberman and Ghostbusters level pack from Amazon.com and it worked out at £40.85 which was about £14.76 cheaper than ordering from .co.uk so basically that will pay for Aquaman in March. 
    Amanda1983
    ^^^ Correction to my previous reply, level and team packs were 33% off just before Christmas.  I just checked my amazon receipt.

Also, I recently received an email from amazon stating:
    Thank you for your recent purchase of a pre-order game. 

As a Prime member, you enjoy 20% off the list price on physical games during pre-order through two weeks after release. Your Prime Exclusive Savings will be automatically applied to your existing pre-order(s). Your Prime Exclusive Savings will be automatically applied to your existing pre-orders within 5 business days
    I have not made any video game related purchases recently, so I am certain this refers to my dimensions sets.  I am not sure if that was included in the 33% off price I paid for level packs and 50% off price for fun packs,  but if it wereI I would have expected the preorder packs to be cheaper than the packs that were already released, which they were not... so I think this discount may be in addition to the ones that were already applied.

If you are a prime member, you may want to preorder all the wave 4 and wave 5 stuff while they are still on sale because you should get an additional 20% off.

Amanda1983
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    @Picopirate, thanks, I do have Amazon prime, but the 20% explicitly exclude already discounted items. The Superman fun pack however was at $9 a few days ago.
    Amanda1983
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 642
    you can play as all 4 ghost busters
    dannyrwwkiki180703Amanda1983
  • rangermattrangermatt Walsall, United KingdomMember Posts: 61
    How?
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    Just got a few packs for the minifigures/parts, just wondering if anyone knows of the best way to sell the RFID discs?
    SumoLegoxiahna
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,570
    VorpalRyu said:
    Just got a few packs for the minifigures/parts, just wondering if anyone knows of the best way to sell the RFID discs?
    @SumoLego  buys them 
    SumoLegogmonkey76Amanda1983
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Any other players feeling conflicted about how much to spend on expansions? I'm really getting into the game, and I've always loved beating the TT games 100% but it's going to take a small mortgage to do it for Dimensions. I'm drawn to a number of level and fun packs but stop myself when I realise how big a set that money could buy.
    Amanda1983
    I'm not going for 100%, so I mostly buy the levels and characters I want. If I get a good deal though I sometimes buy a character for their ability (Ninjago).
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,012
    VorpalRyu said:
    @SumoLego  buys them 
    I'm just looking for one set.  I suppose they could make nice display bases in certain applications.

(But check out  my Marketplace Thread!  I do need a couple of them to complete my set.)

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/21427/dimensions-purchase-bases-only-us#latest
    ^^^ I got dimensions and one level pack for Christmas.  I purchased the remaining 5 level packs, scooby doo team pack, and 4 fun pack for a total of $145 when amazon had them on sale.  It would have been $235 if I had to buy the starter pack and 6th level pack myself.  Meanwhile this price allowed me to get some packs I really liked AND have all levels/worlds unlocked except for chima and ninjago adventure worlds. Though I could have easily had those unlocked for that price. $235 is a lot of money but considering all the content that is unlocked, all of the exclusive minifigs, and the printed pieces, its not that bad.  The packs can also be used ANYWHERE in the game, unlike disney infinity packs. If there is an eventual sequel, the packs may work with that too (at least a lot of the disney infinity and skylanders sets are forward compatible).

Personally, I tend to get a few big sets each year because I want to limit my spending and display space is at a premium. So dimensions is actually a less expensive way for me to get my lego fix.  Sure, I could just get a poly bag or other small set but  dimensions packs seem to have a bit more character to them and they can be displayed together much better than say a starwars polybag and a lego city polybag.  That said, I will only buy them when they are on sale.  I paid $20 for level packs, $15 for team packs, and $7.50 for fun packs. At those prices I will continue to buy dimensions packs, I will pass on them at their retail price.  
    Amanda1983
    Shib said:
    Finally taken the plunge on ordering Dimensions, found it for £40 from Amazon Warehouse - I'm aware that this might end up getting returned if it's not as described, but figured at £40 it's worth a shot.
    Boo...just has an email cancelling my order because they are unable to fulfil it. At least I was in the mindset that getting it at that price was too good to be true.
    Amanda1983
    ^Chase up customer services on chat. You know they were selling them after because both you and I checked (they had just got more expensive). They might be able to sort you out with something. 
    ShibAmanda1983
    The way to get to 100%, as long as you are prepared to wait, is to buy the packs on discount - all the wave 1 packs are now available much cheaper. You need all level packs, but do not need all the other fun/team packs. Some packs have characters with unique abilities, and you need at least one character per Adventure world to open up all those. 
    Amanda1983
    edited January 2016
    The following thoughts come to mind when I hear people talking about trying to get 100%:
    1) What percentage of other games have you gotten to 100% on?
    2) Why is there little to no talk about getting to 100% on other toys-to-life games?

That said, you should be able to get all achievements/trophies with the starter pack alone.  The 6 level packs each open a new level, allow access to an adventure world, and offer new achievements/trophies (the achievements/trophies only show up once you play the level pack).

There are a few adventure worlds that would still be locked.  Scooby doo and jurassic park can only be unlocked with their corresponding team packs, and wizard of oz can only be unlocked with the wicked witch fun pack.  Chima and ninjago can be unlocked with any of their corresponding packs.  That will unlock all levels/worlds.  Then you should be able to use the "hire a hero" gain access to specific areas.  So the starter pack, 6 level packs, 2 team packs, and 3 fun packs should be enough to 100% the game if you really wanted to do that.

If you wait for the packs to be on sale, use best buys gamers club unlocked (20% off), or preorder with amazon prime (20% off), then it is not so bad.
    Amanda1983
    MattsWhat said:
    ^Chase up customer services on chat. You know they were selling them after because both you and I checked (they had just got more expensive). They might be able to sort you out with something. 
    Took about half an hour but they've sorted me a discount. Hopefully nothing will go wrong this time ;-)
    cheshirecatkiki180703MattsWhatAmanda1983
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 908
    Kids have broken the toy pad. :( they tripped over the lead and suspect did something to the the usb plug. Any thoughts on way forward? Try Lego for a replacement? Or would it be warner bros?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    The following thoughts come to mind when I hear people talking about trying to get 100%:
    1) What percentage of other games have you gotten to 100% on?
    2) Why is there little to no talk about getting to 100% on other toys-to-life games?
    I try to 100% any game I get (sometimes aside from achievements that you can only get through online multiplayer mode, as I don't do that as often as I used to any longer).   I absolutely 100% any LEGO game I own - most of it isn't tricky, just a tad repetitive. 

Interestingly, I don't think anyone I know talks about 100%-ing other toys to life games, although maybe it's because I don't know people who have them?

I don't own Dimensions (yet), as I'm waiting for it to become ultra cheap (if it ever does) to pick it up.  Reading this discussion has me really intrigued, though.
    Amanda1983
    Dimensions does not list a percentage complete I believe......Other toys to life games actually did (at least the first two Skylanders did). I would think the only way to check for 100% completion is to see if you got everything from each world and level. And they will likely add more anyways.