Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Thats a good point - i had forgotten about marvel being disney. I wouldn't be too surprised if with the advent of dimensions Disney pull the plug on any future marvel games after those already in the works too. 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 308
    I believe TT already confirmed a while back that they're still gonna continue with the normal lego games too, so I doubt that Dimensions will really be "replacing" them. 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2015
    I would expect that there would still be standalone games for SW and Marvel, given their popularity.

I would expect absolutely no inclusion of SW or Marvel (or base Disney chars) in Dimensions, as that would compete directly with Infinity - unless they came up with some incredible licensing agreement.

That being said, one cool thing to imagine would be to see Lego and Disney hook up and have characters (somehow) be usable on both game systems.  That would be one way to perpetuate a long-standing relationship, while at the same time standing up against Skylanders.  Of course, when Disney buys Lego, this may all be moot :)
    pharmjod
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,294
    To clarify with the Destiny comparison, I realize they are vastly different games. I just value a videogame by how much gameplay I get out of it. If a game only lasts a few hours, that is really disappointing. So if I spend $15 on a Fun Pack and all I get is a new character skin and vehicle for them to zip around in, that is not really adding much to the gameplay hours. In this other videogame, for $40 I got 100+ hours of new content to play which is a much better value.

I read one review saying the Back to the Future level pack only took about 30 minutes and they were expressing disappointment and dismay at that. If it turns out that is the norm for even the level packs that is highly disappointing in terms of value.
    MasterBeefy
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,302
    @TheLoneTensor - I also have the hope of cross over toys - the Skylanders/Amiibo crossover toys show that it's possible, but I think crossovers with DI are less likely as the games are in direct competition with each other.
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 143
    Considering the add on packs are all available to buy on the Lego website they seem an ok place to buy from at the moment if you take into account the fact you get VIP points and free delivery over £50. I think I am going to wait for double points and get the packs I want most then just wait for a good deal on the starter pack. I have enough games to play at the moment and Fallout 4 is due in less than six weeks so playing the waiting game for some good deals should be quite bearable.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,432
    edited September 2015
    Rails said:
    .......and Fallout 4 is due in less than six weeks.
    Ah yes, Fallout 4 Pip-Boy edition - the reason I bought my XBOX One.... And since I now have the console it seemed a shame not to get Dimensions....

The starter pack is 20% off RRP on Amazon, incidentally, and the add-ons are all 10% off, so better value than buying from [email protected]
    Rails
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    In this other videogame, for $40 I got 100+ hours of new content to play which is a much better value.
    No, you got about 4 hours of content, that you get to repeat over and over and over. I don't really think that's the same thing as 100+ hours of new content. It's still better value than Dimensions, but still lazy cash cowing compared to most other games that get released that genuinely give you 10hours+ of unique unrepeated content. Even in Destiny's season pass you were almost entirely running through pre-existing levels backwards with the lighting changed, it's just sloppy, lazy and dull. If you like it then good for you (I'm the same with Diablo, I can burn hours on it even though I'm just repeating the same content over it- though Diablo did have more content from the outset than Destiny at least), but I don't think it's really a stellar objective example of value for money when there are so many better examples out there.

I've had chance to play the first two levels of Dimensions now, and whilst it's not a bad game in itself I'm struggling to see why it warrants all the packs and extra cost. It is basically just another Lego game albeit with a bespoke storyline involving multiple IPs - in that respect, not too dissimilar however to The Lego Movie. You get less characters than you do in a typical Lego game, and appear to get much less content, unless you pay for it.

So whilst the game taken in isolation is pretty decent, it basically just comes down to a run of the mill Lego game, spliced up and split into lots of physical DLC with a pad thrown in (that does as some of us suspected get fucking annoying as you have to stand up and walk over to it every 10 seconds - if you wanted us to use it as a controller, then make it like a controller and have it wireless).

I'll probably keep buying packs I like for it because I've already put up that upfront investment and am not hard pressed to the point I have to explicitly save or budget to do so, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it. If someone asked the question "Is it worth me saving up for?" implying they need to budget it for it explicitly I'd say no, absolutely not.

Only go for it if you're happy to blow money on something that's ultimately not really any more (though certainly also no less to be fair) entertaining than what you can get cheaper elsewhere (i.e. in other Lego games).
    cheshirecat
    That's basically what I assumed, a normal Tt lego game with some novelty on top. Once it's discounted a bit more I'll pick it up for Christmas probably. The core ip I'm not to fussed on so the reports of levels being very short is disappointing, would be interested in a few more reports of that.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,262
    (that does as some of us suspected get fucking annoying as you have to stand up and walk over to it every 10 seconds - if you wanted us to use it as a controller, then make it like a controller and have it wireless).

This is my main gripe with it right now.  The cable on it is long enough for me to set it on my ottoman and be able to reach it from the couch but I hate moving it back and forth when I decide to play.  I think the moving around of the characters all the time is a little useless.  Would make more sense for me to have it just be the things you want to use at the time and thats it.

This is probably the main issue with ttl in general that aside from the potential to take your superpowered character to your mates house the physical toys are just a complete waste of space.

Could dimensions have been made without the ttl element?

Would it have been worse without the ttl? (assuming we could get all the cool minifigures anyway)
    I'd have prefered it without...ever since the Indianna Jones cameo in LEGO Star Wars I've wanted a big multi IP crossover LEGO game, but the ott cost of TTL puts me right off.
    They've mostly done a good job of integrating the pad and using it in different ways, but some of those ways are over-used a bit, and it gets to point where you feel "Okay, yes very clever, now rather than standing up to move a minifig can I just press A to have you trigger that for me?". There's nothing they couldn't have done without the pad, but I guess it adds new puzzles to a formula that was desperately in need of new stuff. I think it just needs a little bit more polish that's all - i.e. the ability to skip the physical movement in some cases so you have the choice to do it physically, or to just press a button or something to trigger the same thing digitally. There are also a couple of occasions it's just outright annoyed me - i.e. you swap a minifig over, sit down again and by the time you sit down something has killed you. Maybe a couple of seconds of invulnerability after a minifig is ported when moved between pads would make sense.

But given this is deemed to be a long term product, I'd like to think these are things they'll iron out in updates.

You could probably work it quite well into a relaxed coop environment, where one person is in charge of the pad, and the other plays too I suspect, I imagine my wife, were she not away for work right now would happily take control of the pad and move stuff around for me whilst watching me play.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 782
    edited September 2015

Xefan said:
    Yep, the whole level packs thing is basically broken now, not broken in that it doesn't work, but broken in that the pricing model doesn't even remotely reflect what you're getting. Effectively you're paying £30 for a £3 polybag + £3 worth of game content, so £30 for £6 of goods. I base those figures on past polybags, and the cost of a Lego Batman 3 DLC level which is exactly the same size, and added the exact same amount of achievements. There's a 5x markup on the actual value of the product, and that isn't good or reasonable.

Given that the Lego Batman 3 season pass was only £15 and gave you 6 of these levels, £30 for one such level and a polybag worth of lego just isn't remotely justifiable. I don't buy the cost of development argument, as otherwise they'd have lost a fortune on Lego Batman 3's DLC, which is highly unlikely as they just wouldn't have bothered if that was the case.

So Lego are grossly screwing people by even their own standards.
    How about the price of the minifigs and the license fees? I think you can add up about $4 for each so that'd be $4 for the polybag/build, $4 for the content and $8 for minifig and fees? So about $14 mark up at the price of the Level packs lol
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,372
    I have been playing this with my kids who really seem to love it (I do too). I actually like that you stop and build (or rebuild) items through out the game. Event the gate way has small changes that are made as you go along. True I won't be buying every expansion pack as it can get costly, but I do plan on getting the ones we want (I also think you can access most of the game without owning every toy). I am looking forward to what comes next as the starter pack is to last for at least three years. My guess is there will be new disks, or levels that add a new story to it. I guess my take is let those who want it get it and those who don't can leave it be. If its successful it will continue to be around if not it will go away. I'm surprised that it is so divisive. I can see those who like it defending it,but I am surprised seeing so many who don't like it trying to convince others to not like it (which they are certainly entitled to do so please don't take this comment the wrong way....I'm just surprised by that reaction is all). Maybe its because there are exclusive pieces/figures.
    edited September 2015
    dannyrww said:
    I have been playing this with my kids who really seem to love it (I do too). I actually like that you stop and build (or rebuild) items through out the game. Event the gate way has small changes that are made as you go along. True I won't be buying every expansion pack as it can get costly, but I do plan on getting the ones we want (I also think you can access most of the game without owning every toy). I am looking forward to what comes next as the starter pack is to last for at least three years. My guess is there will be new disks, or levels that add a new story to it. I guess my take is let those who want it get it and those who don't can leave it be. If its successful it will continue to be around if not it will go away. I'm surprised that it is so divisive. I can see those who like it defending it,but I am surprised seeing so many who don't like it trying to convince others to not like it (which they are certainly entitled to do so please don't take this comment the wrong way....I'm just surprised by that reaction is all). Maybe its because there are exclusive pieces/figures.
    I can see myself picking up whichever fig we haven't seen in lego form or ones I didn't pick up before. Has there been a report of how the sales went on release date?
    dannyrww
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,316
    I guess I'm the only one feeling frustrated with this game. I was playing the scooby level pack and was confused by some of the areas. There is one spot near the carnival where Shaggy gets "lightning bolt" like symbols over his head. It tells you to press O (PS4). When I do he just freaks out and goes between his regular outfit and him as a damsel with a parasal. Also you need at least one charcter from each genre to do most things in the game. I am on the fence with this one. I like being able to have multiple characters on the portal but frustrated because I don't know how to unlock the other vehicle builds. 
    I'm not sure sales figures would be useful for them at this point. I think with the Toy to Life games there is a strategy of releasing them pre-Christmas with the idea that the sales really kick in at Christmastime.
    Aanchir
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852

It will also be interesting to see what legs Disney Infinity has past SW 3.0.  I don't see a major film or franchise buoying a Disney Infinity 4.0 or 5.0 or beyond.

Once that runs its course - or becomes a few additional figures year by year, you could then see Marvel characters make their way onto the Dimensions platform.

I find more mysterious the status of Harry Potter.  I think they'd be pretty dumb to just lump it into the Dimensions universe, when potentially you have lots of HP fans clamoring for their own figure-based gaming experience.

dannyrww
    SumoLego said:

I find more mysterious the status of Harry Potter.  I think they'd be pretty dumb to just lump it into the Dimensions universe, when potentially you have lots of HP fans clamoring for their own figure-based gaming experience.

Given that basically every Harry Potter specific game (as opposed to say crossovers like Lego Harry Potter) did absolutely terribly, I doubt there's much appetite for blowing even more money on that in the industry. The success of the books and films just didn't translate into success in the video games market. It would be a massive risk to go all out and give it it's own TTL release, one that I doubt any company would be willing to take.
  • Ray1204Ray1204 USAMember Posts: 69
    To really enjoy this game is to just play through the story first and not worry about all the things you miss due to add on packs and characters.  I have to say that it is awesome how they manage to mesh all the properties in the story line.  
    edited October 2015
    Ray1204 said:
    To really enjoy this game is to just play through the story first and not worry about all the things you miss due to add on packs and characters.  I have to say that it is awesome how they manage to mesh all the properties in the story line.
    Yeah but even then you only have a fraction of the characters and content you do in a normal Lego game that sells for less than half the price so it goes back to what I was saying before - sure, if you have money to blow. Otherwise, what's the point? Where's the selling point and what's the additional cost justification?
    Out of interest how does it work without having characters to unlock? Should say, I haven't played any recent LEGO games since the LEGO Movie one (which was utterly shit and barely got played) so things might already be different, but in SW for example a real pull on playing over and over was to get studs to unlock players alongside collecting the red bricks and minikits. Sure you could also unlock multipliers and largely silly game adaptations but players and vehicles came first. I assume all that is still there in dimensions but you can't spend studs on characters.
    Xefan said:
    Ray1204 said:
    Yeah but even then you only have a fraction of the characters and content you do in a normal Lego game that sells for less than half the price so it goes back to what I was saying before - sure, if you have money to blow. Otherwise, what's the point? Where's the selling point and what's the additional cost justification?

I understand the frustration as I spent over $300 last Sunday.  I have stated that each add on pack and level in my opinion is over priced by $5 each.  But for the starter pack it is definitely worth the $99.99 price tag.  The amount of context you get for the story and 3 free worlds are fun to play just with the 3 characters included.  Where else are you going to get the amount of different properties mesh into a game like this.  Just enjoy the game .. Lego said this is a 3 year plan so the is plenty of time to buy the figures you are missing and play through to collect everything.

edited October 2015
    Out of interest how does it work without having characters to unlock?
    Yeah, this is kind of my point in terms of the problem I have with it - whereas before you could unlocked between about 50 and about 150 characters just by playing through a Lego game, there's now a grand total of what, 20? and unless they come with the game you unlock them by buying packs. I'm struggling to understand how this justifies a price increase, where we've gone from having a £40 game with ~100 digital characters in the box, to a £100 game where we get 3 in the box and have to pay between £15 and £30 for more with a grand total of only maybe 20 or 30 or so. Then of course each of those characters have abilities that unlock certain areas of levels, so yes, as you play through there are areas you can't even get to - on the first level there's something I can't do anything with because it needs a Ghostbusters character not out until January. I don't see how this is a step up from a normal Lego game.

Ray1204 said:
    Where else are you going to get the amount of different properties mesh into a game like this.  Just enjoy the game .. Lego said this is a 3 year plan so the is plenty of time to buy the figures you are missing and play through to collect everything

Well The Lego Movie game is a good example (which I actually enjoyed FWIW). But in every other Lego game ever released we get way more characters without having to buy them physically and wait 3 to 6 months for the privilege and get more levels and worlds to boot? Look at Lego Batman 3, what, 150 characters in the box? 16 levels instead of 14 as with Dimensions and a bunch of worlds to explore too, then £15 for 6 more levels in the DLC.

As I say I don't hate it, and I can afford to keep buying, but I don't think it's even remotely good value for money. It's like a Free to Play model Lego game, except it's not Free to Play, it's £100 and then you get nickel and dimed on top - £400 to unlock all the content, when you'd get way more content in a £40 Lego game normally and all you have to show for it is a pad.

All I'm saying is they should've given us a hell of a lot more either physical Lego, or digital content for the price because they've managed to give far more digital content in every single one of their previous Lego games and they all cost way less.
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 659
    Not sure if this is the right place to raise this issue but here goes, I am forty something afol collector, I am NOT a gamer. I really like the look of the packs, not just for the MINIFIGURES but also the accompanying vehicle or accessory and thought they would look great in one of my display cabinets but here's the rub, no instructions on the builds!
     Whilst I appreciate the fun of rebuilding mid game if your into that sort of thing, what about those of us who don't want to play the game but just collect. As it stands Linda and I were going to collect them but having bought just one pack, we are now unsure whether or not this is a good idea. Any thoughts?
    as a footnote at least we didn't jump in feet first and buy them all as friends of ours did who are also non gamers - if lego don't provide some kind of instructions they are going to miss out on a massive collectors market !
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 516
    edited October 2015
    @Coyotelily this was on the Brickset front page a couple of days ago.

http://brickset.com/article/16863/good-news-for-lego-dimensions-fans!
    Honestly, I don't think you really even need instructions. I wanted to build some before playing the content as I want to complete the main story before playing the other levels and found the box pictures sufficient to build the mini builds from.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Went the Best Buy route.

$30 for gamers club for 2 years.
    20% off games and works on Lego packs.
    Going to use it for the later packs (Dr. Who, Ghostbusters) as well as Battlefront and Black Friday deals.
    To boot, I accrue points.

Not sure about the game pad yet, but this is good timing.
    Not sure if this is the right place to raise this issue but here goes, I am forty something afol collector, I am NOT a gamer. I really like the look of the packs, not just for the MINIFIGURES but also the accompanying vehicle or accessory and thought they would look great in one of my display cabinets but here's the rub, no instructions on the builds!
     Whilst I appreciate the fun of rebuilding mid game if your into that sort of thing, what about those of us who don't want to play the game but just collect. As it stands Linda and I were going to collect them but having bought just one pack, we are now unsure whether or not this is a good idea. Any thoughts?
    as a footnote at least we didn't jump in feet first and buy them all as friends of ours did who are also non gamers - if lego don't provide some kind of instructions they are going to miss out on a massive collectors market !
       LEGO just released an app for Dimensions with build/rebuild instructions. 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
       LEGO just released an app for Dimensions with build/rebuild instructions. 
    And most of the build/rebuild instructions are already on the LEGO Customer Service website. Last time I checked they didn't have the alternate builds for Emmet's Excavator but most of the other models had instructions for all three versions
    Thanks guys, sorry the news feed didn't come through for me so I missed that one, the instructions I looked at scooby doo had instructions of how to build the minifigures but not the mini builds - will look into the app now so thanks all.
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I hope to see a version of Dimensions on the Nintendo New 3DS. It's not like I don't have another console that can play it, it's just that most of the starter pack's higher-than-average-for-a-new-video-game price comes from the portal and the included bricks to build it. If they made a version for the New3DS, which has an NFC reader built in, they wouldn't need to include the game pad or portal, which would reduce the price to something more manageable.
    @Legonizer - the Wii U gamepad also has an NFC reader built in...given that the mechanics of Dimentions involve having several characters on the pad at once neither the Wii U or 3DS is set up for that. (Basically I wouldn't count on it if I was you)
    Yeah it's not just one reader that's the thing, it's basically 3, all rigged up to send different messages to the console.
    Thanks to whoever it was for letting me know about the app, downloaded, really useful, I love it thanks
    Thanks to whoever it was for letting me know about the app, downloaded, really useful, I love it thanks
    Np. Glad LEGO made an app for it. I think they're trying to make it as exciting as possible by creating an app lol
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 865
    Already on sale in Belgium!

kiki180703VorpalRyuSumoLegobobabricksmr.pigglesXefanBumblepantsdrdavewatfordandhe
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    By 1 cent! Omg, it's such a good deal! Right? Right...?
    VorpalRyu
    edited October 2015
    ^  Could be worse - I'm sure there have been a few instances where Lego costs more on 'sale' than at regular price...

I see a comma - is that $14,990.00 original price?

That might be a good deal?
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Apologies if this has been discussed already (I've been MIA for a few weeks).  What is the general opinion on these showing up in the clearance aisles?  I see so many other Toy-to-Life games there, I've gotta wonder if the Lego name alone will keep them out of the clearance section. 
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    @SumoLego, do you mean something like this? :D

kiki180703SumoLegobobabricksxiahna
    I'm sure we'll see these in the clearance aisle at some point.  TRU has a huge Dimensions section that just isn't sustainable.  

I don't specifically recall Skylanders figures ever being on clearance, but they do reduce the size of the section - so they're probably employing the attrition rationale.

(I think the Amiibos are still probably too new for clearance, and I've never seen Infinity figures on clearance.  In fact, there are still 1.0 figures still on the rack at TRU.)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861

SumoLego said:
    ^  Could be worse - I'm sure there have been a few instances where Lego costs more on 'sale' than at regular price...

I see a comma - is that $14,990.00 original price?

That might be a good deal?
    Many European countries use commas as decimal points instead of periods. So something marked €12,5 on a restaurant menu is what we in America might write as €12.50.

This is something I've seen cause confusion in international discussions before, along with how the American dollar sign is identical to the peso sign in many countries. A few years back I was in a discussion where a lot of people were baffled by a pic of LEGO knock-offs at a discount shop that were seemingly priced way higher than the actual sets' original USD prices. But it turns out the price was just in pesos. :P

As for the question of whether LEGO Dimensions will go on clearance... well, it wouldn't surprise me. They may be LEGO (which is rarely substantially discounted), but they are more directly in competition with other toys-to-life products than with other building toys, so they'll probably want to imitate the toys-to-life business model in as many ways as possible. And that includes those discounts for older waves.
    Fun fact I was curious about (don't know if anyone else was). You can earn VIP points (and double points) on Lego Dimensions at Lego store. I was a little worried as I know that they are not entirely Lego products. My daughter however wanted to get Wonder Woman with some money she saved so we bought one today. We did get double points.
    Everything insidedannyrww said:
    Fun fact I was curious about (don't know if anyone else was). You can earn VIP points (and double points) on Lego Dimensions at Lego store. I was a little worried as I know that they are not entirely Lego products. My daughter however wanted to get Wonder Woman with some money she saved so we bought one today. We did get double points.

everything inside the box is Lego and branded Lego, so earning VIP should be no problem..  The Best Buy gamers club is still the best way to go on buying anything for this game..

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    You can now buy the starter pack with an amazing reduction of 3 cents on Amazon!
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Dimensions-Starter-Pack-PlayStation-4/dp/B00VMB5VCS
    dannyrww
    Aleydita said:

Is that euros though and is $14.99 the standard euro price? If so that's quite cheap anyway compared to £14.99 (well, £14.98), it's what about £11?

You're already getting like 25% off compared to us. Looks like if we're willing to wait a couple of days after release those of us in the UK might do well to order from Europe if we can find a reasonable deal on shipping as you guys are getting it much cheaper than we are.

Played through the first 3 levels again last night as my partner wanted to play from the start. Definitely more fun coop, but can't fathom some of those paint puzzles on the Ninjago level - sometimes we do them straight away and everything works fine and other times they seem to just not work at all getting stuck in some colour/pad combo that you don't want.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 865
    Xefan said:
    Aleydita said:

Is that euros though and is $14.99 the standard euro price? If so that's quite cheap anyway compared to £14.99 (well, £14.98), it's what about £11?

Yes €14.98. It seems Maxi Toys is the only one selling them at the moment and they're a bit like TRU in that they often sell for higher than the RRP, so if they're shifting Dimensions on the cheap then something's not right :) Shipping from Belgium would be €16ish for up to 5kg, or a bit less if you're not bothered about tracking.