Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,873
    No discounts for Lego employees on Dimensions!

(Joyous!)
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I'm sure that'll help make Lego employees in the stores be really enthusiastic about selling it and not hold any bitterness towards the product whatsoever.

Presumably it's because it's not simply made by TLG and they have to split profits with TT as well as the usual licencing suspects like Disney and some less usual ones like Valve.

I suspect Lego Dimensions isn't making a massive amount of profit on the base game despite the extortionate cost precisely because they've licenced every IP ever and got all the original voice across on board too.
    My guess is that Lego gets a licensing and production fee from TT, and probably some incidental royalties.  

(Lego learned their lesson with being the IP manager and in control of production and marketing in spaces outside of their core business.)

As funny as this sounds, you will not see any Dimensions in the Lego sections of retailers.  They want no overlap whatsoever.

VorpalRyu
    There may even be outside merchandisers in the Lego Retail stores in charge of the Dimensions product!
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I preordered everything sans the TRU exclusives from Amazon. Everything just shipped and I'll have tomorrow since Amazon has Sunday delivery in Los Angeles. Excited for the game - was hesitant to buy everything in one shot but am worried these will become popular with scalpers and hard to find. The initial cost is staggering but at least each of the upcoming waves is a lot more reasonable. Is paid with a Citi card so any sales in the next two months I'll get the price difference refunded. Wish I had known about Best Buy gamers club though! 

The game looks fun and full of nostalgia and the toys look cool too. I'm not a gamer, but looks like a game that a non-gamer can really get into. 
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 782
    Ma1234 said:
    I preordered everything sans the TRU exclusives from Amazon. Everything just shipped and I'll have tomorrow since Amazon has Sunday delivery in Los Angeles. Excited for the game - was hesitant to buy everything in one shot but am worried these will become popular with scalpers and hard to find. The initial cost is staggering but at least each of the upcoming waves is a lot more reasonable. Is paid with a Citi card so any sales in the next two months I'll get the price difference refunded. Wish I had known about Best Buy gamers club though! 

The game looks fun and full of nostalgia and the toys look cool too. I'm not a gamer, but looks like a game that a non-gamer can really get into. 
    What tru exclusives?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
    Ma1234 said:

What tru exclusives?
    As I understand it, the Laval and Jay fun packs are Toys 'R' Us exclusives in North America.
    Aanchir said:
    What tru exclusives?
    As I understand it, the Laval and Jay fun packs are Toys 'R' Us exclusives in North America.
    Thanks. Are there any exclusives in other stores? 
  • paul88paul88 Member Posts: 166
    Are any stores in the US putting these on sale at midnight tonight?  I'd imagine walmart will if it's a 24 hour store, but I'm wondering about gamestop?
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,372
    Meijer is 24 hours as well I believe
    so much for that!  I went to a 24hour wm and other people were waiting as well.  They said that there was a box in the back but it was dated the 29th!
    Interesting, because that's the European release date.
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 154
    I was going to go to a store to buy this one, but I was worried it would sell out and bought it from Amazon. Now I have to wait for it to ship. Maybe it'll come today....or maybe not.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 339
    I stopped by a TRU to pick up the Bricktober set. Cashier said he was surprised no one had yet bought any Dimensions stuff yet. I asked if he thought it might have to do with their prices being marked up higher than every other store. He immediately went from friendly to curt. Go figure.
    CM4Skiki180703
    edited September 2015
    Tru is offering a $10 gift card for every $35 spent on fun, level or team packs which has like a $2 mark up. Then another $10 for buying a starter pack which is still at $99.99. Pretty good deal.
    Got mine at Toys R Us....no one was thete, but they didn't exactly let people know they were opening at 8
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,342
    The instructions for the small builds in each pack are in-game only, which is really really disappointing. I didn't get the game, but I got the Portal level pack, and nobody has instructions online.
    I ended up getting most sets I wanted from a walmart this morning that DID put them out today.  The guy actually went into the back and wheeled out the entire cart for me.  Then, I stopped at TRU to get Benny, which for some reason was the only one wm didn't have.  I bought a few others on impulse and spent WAY too much :(  I think for the future, I'll preorder on amazon rather than messing around with retail.  Agreed that it is VERY disappointing that the instructions are not in the smaller sets!  What a way to cheap out!
  • 1greenwing1greenwing Member Posts: 26
    dannyrww said:
    Got mine at Toys R Us....no one was thete, but they didn't exactly let people know they were opening at 8
    Yes, I was the only person in the store for 45 minutes. It was nice along with the fact the clerk applied a 20% off and a 5$ coupon, saved a bit.
    dannyrww
    They must not have really advertised, I was also 1 of only 2 people that were there for about an hour.  Was really nice being able to go through everything, but as I said it caused some impulse buys that my wallet could have done without :)
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    edited September 2015
    Was at a Lego store in the mall this morning.  I didn't even see anyone touch them.  They had them stocked in between star wars and exclusives.  I didn't buy any.
    paul88 said:
    They must not have really advertised, I was also 1 of only 2 people that were there for about an hour.  Was really nice being able to go through everything, but as I said it caused some impulse buys that my wallet could have done without :)
    It was neat to see the pristine shelves before everyone came in.

ryjay said:
    Was at a Lego store in the mall this morning.  I didn't even see anyone touch them.  They had them stocked in between star wars and exclusives.  I didn't buy any.
    The Lego store is selling them then?
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    edited September 2015
    dannyrww said:

ryjay said:
    The Lego store is selling them then?
    Yes....well, they are stocked on the shelves.....didn't see any sell.
  • RidzDesignRidzDesign Member Posts: 30
    Just got our Starter set, Portal 2 Level Pack and the Wonderwoman Fun Pack at TRU today...

Price matched to Target for a few bucks cheaper on each item and got the $20 gift card...

Put it together with my daughter and started playing... it's actually quite fun and the portal looks great... she is loving it and the fact that you have to stop and build is cool to her.... 
    The parts to build X-PO are part of the portal appearantly...they are real easy to come off parts too so I may just build him....mostly because I like Joel McHale..... to be fair I haven't even played the first true level (Wizard of Oz) so there may be a reason he becomes part of the portal...or maybe its just a fun easter egg.
  • peterjohn0peterjohn0 New Jersey, USMember Posts: 8
    CM4S said:
    The instructions for the small builds in each pack are in-game only, which is really really disappointing. I didn't get the game, but I got the Portal level pack, and nobody has instructions online.
    Yeah - I discovered the same thing when I picked up the three LOTR fun packs to add to my Lego LOTR/Hobbit collection - while I understand the motive for doing this (because they want to sell the $100 starter sets), since there are three build modes for the vehicles, it would have been nice if they included instructions for the "basic" version build. I'm gonna pick up a starter set eventually, so I'll just keep the parts for when I finally can watch the on-screen instructions.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^or just wait for someone to YouTube it. 
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Having watched this video 

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/09/23/portal-in-lego-dimensions-is-pretty-creative-ign-plays

I'm unsure what to think, i love some of the detail they've put into the portal level but at the same time, it more makes me want to play portal again than play dimensions and I'm not sure just moving figures around to follow coloured lights will hold attention for too long. I have a feeling it may have kept the humour of Portal but removed all the challenge and you're left with a standard TT game on a portal stage.

Also as was mentioned in a review I can see problems with being forced to play through areas that don't interest me. For example, I don't own the Marvel, Hobbit, LotR TT games for a reason - for those that own every TT game this will probably be as excellent fusion of IP they love though.

Also, not having any instructions is crazy, would be so much better for kids to be able to build the base model without being at their console, if they got their new pack at their grandparents house or something. 
    Xefan
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,304
    ^I watched a bit of a Portal 2 level pack video earlier (could only watch a couple of minutes before the commentary got to annoying) and was left at a similar point. I haven't actually played Portal 2, but found myself searching how much it does for these days more than actually considering paying out for Dimensions.
    edited September 2015
    Whatever it costs it's worth it. You've persuaded me to go out and buy a wii u, the least you can do is buy portal. 
    Xefan
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I bought the game, Jay Fun pack, and Portal pack from TRU. They were busy, but no one came down the Dimensions isle, looked like people had bought some though. I price matched the 2 sets via their online website, and I thought I was only going to get a 10$ gift card but got 20$. So I was content with my purchase. 

I usually hate buying from TRU and only do so if I can get something at a discount, but I never give the employees any grief cause I have worked retail before and been on the receiving end. I know the employees don't have any say in the pricing, so I just price match and move on. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,434
    Aside from any discussion about Dimensions, Portal is fantastic - one of the most enjoyable games I've played for years.
    cheshirecatBumblepants1greenwingkiki180703
    Yep. It is is pretty much game perfection. Involving story,  genuine feeling of achievement, reminds me of British games from the 80s/early 90s
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,302
    Well I succumbed to Portal Fever and went ahead and snagged that pack even though I don't know if I will get the game or not. Probably will once the price drops to something in the 'not outrageous' range.
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 154
    My copy just came in the mail. So excited!
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    My local Target was well stocked.

Maybe the parents were Skylander and Infinity-ed out.
    That chroma play feature bit is pretty confusing. 
  • Ray1204Ray1204 USAMember Posts: 69
    I feel that each add on pack is over price by $5.00 each. Un boxing fun pack after fun pack I just thought wow that's it.. Yesterday I played through the back to the future add on level in less than 30min ... I don't see how this will sell at the price they have unless there is a sale.  The starter set is well worth the $99.99 price tag, due to the long main story campaign.  But for the rest of the stuff, it's overpriced.
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 64
    Aside from any discussion about Dimensions, Portal is fantastic - one of the most enjoyable games I've played for years.

Couldn't agree more it was reasonably priced to begin with, didn't have mangled game mechanics to accommodate in-game-purchases, and didn't have any gouging DLC.  Ah, the good old days of gaming!

As for Dimensions, I don't think I'll be buying.  I realise you're mostly paying for the little RFID base (hence a kind of DLC DRM!), but the cost per piece is going to hilariously high isn't it?  Is anyone going to be buying the packs if they're not buying the game, I'd imagine you'd have to be a pretty hardcore "completest" - anyone?

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    Looking at all the stuff in store today made me realise there's another reason I probably won't end up purchasing even with heavy discounts. I'm not a DC fan, don't have any of the Lego sets or games. If they had DC & MARVEL as interchangable sets (Where MARVEL fans use Namor, DC have Aquaman, etc), I might have considered Dimensions a little more. Unfortunately, Disney have Infinity & MARVEL being owned by Disney means TLG won't likely get the rights for use with Dimensions any time soon.
    xiahna
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
    Ray1204 said:
    I feel that each add on pack is over price by $5.00 each. Un boxing fun pack after fun pack I just thought wow that's it.. Yesterday I played through the back to the future add on level in less than 30min ... I don't see how this will sell at the price they have unless there is a sale.  The starter set is well worth the $99.99 price tag, due to the long main story campaign.  But for the rest of the stuff, it's overpriced.
    It seems to me that part of the reason for the fun pack/team pack prices is just to keep things consistent with other toys-to-life products on the market. Disney Infinity, Skylanders, and Amiibo single-character packs each cost $13–$15 new, and those usually aren't even playable toys in their own right. By comparison, $15 for a character, a vehicle, and an adventure world or $25 for two characters, two vehicles and an adventure world doesn't seem so bad — especially considering that the LEGO Dimensions figures generally seem to unlock much more in-game content than the corresponding figures from other brands.

The level packs are indeed a bit of an odd duck, though. You get less physical content and character data than the team packs, meaning the game level is supposed to account for the $5 price difference and then some. If it's really that disappointing then that's something for the developers to improve on. I've heard some mixed reactions to the level packs, and it does lead me to wonder if LEGO/WB Games might want to handle those differently in the future (perhaps including more physical content so it doesn't feel so much like you're paying more for less on the toy side of things). With that said, I know that new levels probably aren't exactly cheap to produce.
    edited September 2015
    Aanchir said:
    The level packs are indeed a bit of an odd duck, though. You get less physical content and character data than the team packs, meaning the game level is supposed to account for the $5 price difference and then some. If it's really that disappointing then that's something for the developers to improve on. I've heard some mixed reactions to the level packs, and it does lead me to wonder if LEGO/WB Games might want to handle those differently in the future (perhaps including more physical content so it doesn't feel so much like you're paying more for less on the toy side of things). With that said, I know that new levels probably aren't exactly cheap to produce.
    Yep, the whole level packs thing is basically broken now, not broken in that it doesn't work, but broken in that the pricing model doesn't even remotely reflect what you're getting. Effectively you're paying £30 for a £3 polybag + £3 worth of game content, so £30 for £6 of goods. I base those figures on past polybags, and the cost of a Lego Batman 3 DLC level which is exactly the same size, and added the exact same amount of achievements. There's a 5x markup on the actual value of the product, and that isn't good or reasonable.

Given that the Lego Batman 3 season pass was only £15 and gave you 6 of these levels, £30 for one such level and a polybag worth of lego just isn't remotely justifiable. I don't buy the cost of development argument, as otherwise they'd have lost a fortune on Lego Batman 3's DLC, which is highly unlikely as they just wouldn't have bothered if that was the case.

So Lego are grossly screwing people by even their own standards.
    cheshirecatpharmjod
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,302
    Yeah the pricing is a bit absurd. The game I play the most, Destiny, just put out an expansion for $40 which both implemented big improvements to all aspects of the original game while also adding an entire new games worth of content and story. Then looking at Dimensions and seeing a minifigure/playable character for $15 just seems silly in comparison.
    MasterBeefyRenny
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 840
    Yeah the pricing is a bit absurd. The game I play the most, Destiny, just put out an expansion for $40 which both implemented big improvements to all aspects of the original game while also adding an entire new games worth of content and story. Then looking at Dimensions and seeing a minifigure/playable character for $15 just seems silly in comparison.
    That's not really a fair comparison at all. Did your $40 Destiny expansion include a collector's figurine of the character you play as?

It's certainly up for debate whether the combined digital and physical content in Lego Dimensions packs is worth the price of the packs in question, and I'm sure the answer would be different for different people based on their interests and priorities. But if you ignore either aspect and focus on ONLY the digital content or ONLY the physical toy, it shouldn't be any surprise that it fails to measure up.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    edited September 2015
    I would suggest that there is no right or wrong answer to the question of value in this case. The appeal of each pack will depend on what you are hoping to get out of it, be that the full gaming experience or simply a brand new minifigure or model. The exclusivity of some characters such as the Wicked Witch of the West or Chell will justify the price for some people but not for others.
    Coolguy5000
    Frankly I don't think Destiny is a good example either, in fact, I've skipped the latest expansion for exactly that reason. The original Destiny game had way too little content, it was around half that I'd expect for the £40 price tag looking at other games on the market. Then they had a season pass at £35 that gave you enough extra content to finally make it have enough in total to be equivalent to a normal full game - so £75 for a £40 of game content. Now they want you to pay £40 again for a mere one extra world, which is only a full game by Destiny's incredibly tiny "full game" standards. All in I'd have paid £105 for all Destiny's content and then you end up with something that has about as much content as a moderately sized full game, but way less than larger games (like MGS5, DAI, Witcher 3) for over a 2.5x the price.

I understand Destiny's new expansion is slightly better value in the US, because it's $40 - here it's equivalent to $60.

I think the Lego Batman 3 DLC was reasonably priced for what you got, 6 levels with completely unique themes and multiple characters was quite good, but the level packs with Dimensions are a joke and TT seriously needs to re-think what it's doing there.
    I read an actual review online (not whatever you would call the thing on the brickset front page) that mentioned the possibility that after the next Marvel game we might not get any 'normal' TT games going forward with all future development going into ongoing iterations of dimensions. I hadn't thought of this before and it might be entirely wrong, but it does bring up a few possibly interesting thoughts. 

A cynic might wonder if dimensions is possibly a tacit admission by TT that the 'normal' LEGO games have become stale, the challenges remain simplistic and repetitive, the mechanism remains basic. Many of the longer term IPs are already into multiple iterations - marvel, dc for example. Even with the new Star Wars films being released returning to what was probably the highlight of the series might prove difficult even outside of dimensions. The move to dimensions breathes life into an old game mechanic by introducing the TTL and MEGA DLC and mashing up multiple IPs - fundamentally the game mechanic itself though seems to be the same.

If dimensions isn't the end of LEGO games as we know them, how do dimensions customers feel when they see a new 'normal' LEGO game released? And I really have no idea - do they just accept it as a separate thing or do they look wistfully at the dusty potal, character and level packs in the corner. I would say the former, accept that fundamentally the game looks the same, is the same. The question will be why isn't this part of dimensions. And perhaps it will be....

One possibility is that future LEGO games will be released as part of dimensions. Entire new main story lines, that can use old characters, the original portal etc. Whether its pure DLC or ships on a disc is largely here nor there. My thinking for this is the only current comment I've seen about level packs - that they give only 20 minutes of gameplay. That's not at the level I would have expected, thinking about the Disney infinity play sets that give (I would guess) about 4-8 hours each. Its also surely not enough to keep dimensions going for, say, 3 years. If all that can be added are 20 min levels costing £30 then its going to be forgotton about quickly. So instead of LEGO Marvel 4 (or whatever it is now) being released as a stand alone, why not as a  6 hours of gameplay DLC/Disc with a character or two that works with dimensions, sold for the usual game price of £40ish (although with dimensions pricing possible closer to £50).

Another thing mentioned in the review was an inevitable disappointment that where as in previous LEGO games every character would eventually become playable to you, in dimensions not only do you need to purchase many of them, some appear to be forever out of your reach (tinman etc).

All that said, I suspect dimensions might prove very good, although horribly overpriced, might take a close look at STEAM. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,304
    edited September 2015
    The problem with future games being only Dimensions is when new licences are acquired, then a lot can be missed. Think Jurassic World - if that had just been Dimensions then it wouldn't have covered the first three films. Plus the games would need to be sold with at least 1 character...but given the puzzle solving game mechanic that involves switching characters, more than likely 3 would be needed to make it viable. taking the JW example you'd then need at least three characters to cover the original films (which considering the way not all characters appear in all films would be a challenge in itself) then at least three for the JW section...more likely they'd just do levels for JW then make JP as Add on packs.

Honestly I hope it's not the end of the line for non TTL LEGO games, but if it is it just means I'm less likely to buy them in future.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    @cheshirecat, hate to say it, from everything I've seen to do with Disney, they wouldn't see a stand alone LEGO MARVEL or LEGO Star Wars game as competition for Disney Infinities, but trying to add MARVEL or Star Wars to Dimensions? That's direct competition for Infinities, effectively this would be allowing Lego using Disney IPs against a Disney product to promote competing product.

So if Dimensions is the future for all Lego video gaming, then LEGO MARVEL Avengers will be the last LEGO MARVEL digital experience, the same will be true for SW...
    andhexiahna