Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Book Publishing Opportunity

akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
edited November 2011 in Community and Events
I have been contacted by a publisher who inquired if any of the contributors
at http://thebrickblogger.com/ would like to write and publish a LEGO related
book. I was told they are interested in pretty much any topic related to LEGO.
They do have experience publishing LEGO related books - I think they have published
3 so far.

So, I asked the contributors at TBB, and I also thought to let you guys know.
There must be a few unwritten books hiding in this community...(c:

Just wanted to let you know the opportunity is there. Let me know if any of you
are interested and I will get you in touch with the publisher.

Play well!...(c:

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    Good to hear! There's great potential among your contributors. We all know that Gary is the preeminent historian of all things LEGO, and the dynamic duo of Will and Sarah Reed should have a lot of insight to offer about the diversity of LEGO. I hope it pans out if you decide to get involved.

Also thanks for publicizing the opportunity to the community at large.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    @rocao Personally I don't think I will be involved. I can hardly keep up with blogging, work, school...LOL! But I have been getting a lot of responses to this opportunity, so I will give a list to the publisher and get them in touch with interested LEGO fans. I'm looking forward to some more great books coming out of the LEGO community! (c:
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    On a related note, I saw this one is coming out in a couple of weeks:

The Cult of LEGO
    ISBN: 1593273916
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593273916/

Joe Meno (of BrickJournal) and John Baichtal (of Wired/Geekdad) are the authors.
    Yep, it is a beautiful book! It is big, perfect for coffee-table browsing! Also the hard-cover is cultishly black! Really awesome! (c;
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,674
    On a total tangent, those official lego speech bubbles you've blogged look crazy!
    @andhe! LOL! Crazy in the good way or bad way. (c;
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,674
    @akunthita crazy fun in a good way. It's always a wonder who comes up with these 'non-core' lego products and how strict the approving panel is :P
    @andhe LOL, yes, crazy fun! I have all kinds of ideas for those bubbles! One thing I really like about them is that they can be used in LEGO contests or displays where only LEGO elements are allowed! I'm gonna have lots of fun with just that!...(c:
  • slovakiastephslovakiasteph USAMember Posts: 62
    Sounds cool! I have no idea what one would put in a book... we already have the ethnography-type one and many on the history... what else would one write that's timeless enough to be published in book form?
    Steph, there are actually many wonderful niche books on LEGO! Just look at the newly released "Cult of LEGO". What about "Forbidden LEGO", the "Unificial LEGO Builder's Guide", the book on LEGO guns, LEGO trains, Technic, etc. There are lots of possibilities if you think about it...(c;
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,086
    Thanks Rocao.... Let's see... if I broke my upcoming Volume II Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s) into manageable book sizes (nothing more than 740 pages)... that would be about 3 or 4 books.... would they like something of an Encyclopedic format?

Here's a sneak preview from my collectors guide, guaranteed something you folks have never seen before...

Think that TLG only made 1 blue classic LEGO window... a 1x2x2?? Guess again... and how about in 5 shades of blue? ;-D
    @Istokg Gary, that may very well be an awesome book! And since you already have the materials ready, it may not even be that much effort to make it into a book. Do you want me to get you in touch with the publisher?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    edited November 2011
    On a related note, I saw this one is coming out in a couple of weeks:

The Cult of LEGO
    ISBN: 1593273916
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593273916/

Joe Meno (of BrickJournal) and John Baichtal (of Wired/Geekdad) are the authors.
    Received my copy this morning. Have to say, having flicked through just now, am dead excited about this. This is the book I've been waiting for - the book that sums up our way of life.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    I got my copy a few days and will hoepfully have time to read and review it soon.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    The best yet imho. Just read a page about "Fake Lego". The way the authors don't hold back and go straight into bitchin' about MBs - brillaint, yet honest!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,086
    @akunthita After much mulling over the idea... yes, why don't you have the publisher get in touch with me... [email protected] I'll find it in my spamblocker...

Thanks,
    Gary Istok
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Looking forward to the cult of lego. Saving it for xmas hols.
    Gary, I'd love it if your book was published!