Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Licensed-Themed Sets from Lego

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
edited April 2015 in Collecting
Below is a chart I quickly prepared that shows the availability of the movie-themed sets from TLG plus The Simpsons and Scooby Doo. The reason I have included The Simpsons and Scooby Doo is that they have larger sets associated with them. The hatched lines (and titles) indicate these themes are associated with Disney. The years indicate with colored blocks are those where a new set was released for that respective theme (not that it was still available). For obvious reasons, I did not include Star Wars-themed sets since they've been consistently available since 1999.

Anyway, there almost appears to be an exponential trend (based on this chart) that TLG is picking steam regarding their use of licensed themes. My expectation from this trend is that there will be more to come from year to year.

If you include SW (which was recently acquired from Lucas Films), a large percentage of the TLG's licenses are/have been with Disney. So if you hear of any Disney producing any big action/animated films or franchises, then you can almost conclude Lego will want to get involved.

For example, Pixar (a subsidiary of Disney) is supposed to be releasing "Incredibles 2" in 2017 and I wouldn't be surprised to see something from TLG since this movie is bound to be a big hit that year.

I think it's almost a certainty that Lego will release more Indiana Jones sets when the next round of movies starts getting released. They could almost just reuse the same molds. The same can be said for Pirates of the Caribbean 5, etc.

With the new Minions movie being released this summer, I almost wouldn't be surprised to see something here (although it's a little late in the game)...especially since Despicable Me 3 will be coming out in 2017.

Since a new Avatar trilogy is going to be released starting towards the end of 2017, that's another possibility (although I probably wouldn't be interested).

I would LOVE to see a Star Trek theme with a few UCS sets, but I'm not holding my breath.

Some other extremely long-shots may include:

How to Train Your Dragon (a franchise for Dreamworks)
Kung Fu Panda (another franchise for Dreamworks)
Planet of the Apes (probably too violent)
Wallace and Gromit (I would love to see this theme released almost as much as Star Trek, but not sure of its universal popularity)

chuckpGoldchainsAdzbadboy

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    How to Train your Dragon licence is held by Ionix and I think Megablocks used to have Star Trek. Megablocks currently have Dispicable Me.

There's really no predicting licenced themes in my opinion because they are dependant on whar the IP owner wants and how well they can work with TLG.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I don't know would they want to double up with the space theme with star wars and star trek at the same time?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
    edited April 2015
    ^I would gladly part with my cash (or spare kidney) to get a UCS Klingon Bird of Prey, UCS Enterprise NCC-1701A, UCS Enterprise NCC-1701D, UCS Romulan Warbird, or any other original UCS Star Trek ship Lego would release. Frankly, I'm tired of all the tacky Star Wars ship sets being released by TLG these days.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I'm over star wars as well, at least until the new movies come out  :D
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,298
    Blasphemy!!! I will try to unsee what I have just read ;)

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I would have to have everything. I grew up with Mego Superheroes, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes. I had most of each licence. I loved the Star Trek Megos.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    I'd like to see Alice in Wonderland sets when the sequel to the Time Burton film gets released next year, but that will probably not happen. Is it too much to at least hope for an Alice-themed Disney Princess set at some point?
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 196
    I would dearly love Mass Effect Lego; I console myself that at least I've got some Bioware Lego in the Old Republic sets.  I persist in believing that Masters of the Universe and Lego would be the perfect marriage, despite it being owned by another company with a competing building toy brand, and it's just rampant nostalgia on my part anyway.  Looking to Disney Kim Possible comes instantly to mind, but we're a few years late I suppose.

Star Trek is indeed, I've read, back in the hands of Megablocks or however they want to spell it; all I've seen of them is Halo and World of Warcraft, neither of which I know from Adam, but the sets at least don't look like embarrassments.  I don't want to bash Kreo just because they're not Lego, but their Enterprise was diabolical (one suspects it's what that Klingon on K-7 was imagining when he said it should be towed away as gargabe), so anything must be an improvement, even if it's not Lego.
    VorpalRyuplasmodium
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,184
    ^ Mass Effect, I would love to see it, but I would be torn, I swore off supporting EA in any way after the dramas with ME3. Masters of the Universe? Yeah, that would be cool.....we can live in hope that Megablox implodes & then, having no brick making business, Mattel hands TLG its licences to build sets... :wink: 

Themes I'd love to see TLG do; Battlestar Galactica (either version), Babylon 5, Deus Ex, Metroid, Tron, Halo Reach, Farscape, Stargate (SG1 & Atlantis), Buck Rogers... I know most of them would be next to impossible, but I can dream. :smile:
    xiahna
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 683
    VorpalRyu said:
    ^ Mass Effect, I would love to see it, but I would be torn, I swore off supporting EA in any way after the dramas with ME3. Masters of the Universe? Yeah, that would be cool.....we can live in hope that Megablox implodes & then, having no brick making business, Mattel hands TLG its licences to build sets... :wink: 

Themes I'd love to see TLG do; Battlestar Galactica (either version), Babylon 5, Deus Ex, Metroid, Tron, Halo Reach, Farscape, Stargate (SG1 & Atlantis), Buck Rogers... I know most of them would be next to impossible, but I can dream. :smile:
    ^  Battlestar Galactica (either version) & Buck Rogers? Oh hell yeah! Sign me up for that!
    VorpalRyu
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I would love a Halo theme from Lego, especially the Reach series. I've been tempted to rebuild some of the MB sets using Lego parts.
    VorpalRyu
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Half Life would be fantastic too.

One can dream...
    plasmodium
    ^ Reach was Halo's apex, then Halo 4 killed it completely for me... We still have friends around for Halo games nights, two 360's linked up, eight controllers, maximum chaos & carnage... If TLG did get the licence, I would want to build my Noble Six, complete with a borrowed Covenant Concussion Rifle...
    xiahna
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    I'd love a UCS Enterprise-E, but it won't be happening anytime soon.

Even though they are vastly different, I don't think the IP owners want the same company producing stuff for both, at least on the toy scale.

Not sure on future licensed themes though, excluding any Disney related ones. 

I'd include the Speed Champions sets on that chart too though, as Lego had to obtain permission to use the vehicles' likenesses from their manufacturer/team/F-1, so they're licensed sets in a way.
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I actually started putting together a Buck Rogers set after I saw the new CMF wizard looks just like Ming the Merciless

The other big one I want to build some day is the Phantom's Skull Cave. I drew up some designs but it's really just a massive undertaking. If Lego could take that off my hands it would be great. He was the 1st tights-wearing "hero" and after maybe Superman is by far the most recognizable worldwide.

I would also love the Venture Brothers but that surely would never happen.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540
    Futurama would be awesome....but it's beyond Simpsons level of adult humor, so likely not going to happen.  Just the Planet Express ship and the main characters' minifigs would be nice though.
    VorpalRyuTechnicNick
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    No Disney Princess on that chart? I'd say Princesses, Star Wars, and Super Heroes are TLG's strongest licensed themes in terms of customer recognition, and the other thing they all have in common is that they're not just movies, and not even just movie series, but multimedia franchises that group multiple stories and characters under one umbrella.

As for new licenses: I think Tomorrowland actually might be something to keep an eye on. What little has been seen in the trailers looks very toyetic, and if it spawns a franchise it might make for a successful LEGO theme. (Co-screenwriter Damon Lindelof has been quoted as saying "What Hogwarts is to magic, Tomorrowland is to science," and that comparison alone has me excited for it.) There's also a loose tie-in show, Miles from Tomorrowland, on Disney Junior, aka The Licensed DUPLO Launchpad Network, so there's multi-age-group potential there as well.
    @Solarious, YES! I'm glad I'm not the only who saw a little bit of Ming the Merciless in the evil wizard CMF, although, wasn't he Flash Gordon's No.1 enemy? Flash could be another good theme.

@natro220, with all the Simpsons stuff TLG are doing, I can't believe......I forgot to list Futurama. Good catch, someone had to mention the better of the two shows, now that is something I would have to consider.
    xiahna
    Ha!
    I totally meant Flash Gordon but I've been mixing those up since I was a kid
    VorpalRyu
    edited April 2015
    ^ I can get that, at least its not confusing Trek & Wars, that could start something nasty... :smile:
    xiahna
    Trek is the one with the swords yeah?
    VorpalRyu
    I thought that was Battlestar Galactica? Or am I thinking of Stargate? :wink:
    xiahna
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    No, Battlestar Galactica is the one with Dumbledore Calrissian.
    VorpalRyu
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 434
    I wish they'd do more real-world models, particularly of vehicles.  The Speed Champions are OK, but they're not very accurate.  If they could make more vehicles like the larger Ferrari and Lambos from years back, that would be great.  Since they had/have a contract with Mercedes (with the discontinued Unimog and the upcoming truck), perhaps they could do a larger scale G-wagon, which would probably lend itself quite well to Lego.  So would a Series 1 Land Rover.
    @Plell, I preferred his best friend Teal'c McFly in that one, my favourite moment was when he figured out how to defeat the evil Zords sent from the future to destroy all the Daleks... :wink:
    xiahna
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    LEGO please bring back LEGO Harry Potter!
    xpok
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Oh yes, +1 for Mass Effect Lego...I 'discovered' ME last year and I have to say, it's one of the best and most well rounded sci-fi universes I've ever played/seen. Only thing is how awful EA and their Origin service is...(but that's all off-topic).

If Lego did get an agreement with a major video game publisher (like EA or Valve or someone), they could really extend their market up the age range. Just look at sites like thinkgeek.com, and you'll see there's a massive market for 'geek toys'. They have dedicated Star Trek, Mass Effect, Portal, Zelda etc sections where they sell everything from t-shirts to action figures to novelty gizmos. I'm sure that's a market that Lego could tap into (and one which I'm sure I'd find myself supporting...).