[US] BaM Bar Contents

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    edited October 2018
    Just got back from the Woodfield LEGO Store. Looks like the stores will have Xmas parts soon. They also had the Santa cap, but I have lots of those from the advent calendars so I didn't get.
    madforLEGOFowlerBricks77ncaachampslego007LEGOFan2
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,569
    Ooh, nice finds! I do need to expand my Elf collection. 
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 708
    The Providence Lego Store was building a Santa, Mrs. Claus, and an elf in the BaM packaging for sale.  Ready to go/grab at the checkout, I suppose.
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 214
    Thank goodness there is no cleavage showing for Mrs Claus.
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,919
    Thank goodness there is no cleavage showing for Mrs Claus.
    Correct - we like our holiday folk modest.  So as to avoid protesters and parent-groups.
    SeijiAmasawaSprinkleOtter
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 618
    Interesting @jmeninno they did not do that with the special Halloween parts. Were the pieces also in the bins? 
    edited October 2018
    Interesting @jmeninno they did not do that with the special Halloween parts. Were the pieces also in the bins? 

The Providence Lego Store was building a Santa, Mrs. Claus, and an elf in the BaM packaging for sale.  Ready to go/grab at the checkout, I suppose.
    I know the Chicago Watertower LEGO Store did that with the Halloween parts, I didn't see it at Woodfield. Unfortunately I went into the hospital before the double points started, and won't know if I can get back into the city to pick one up before the end of the month.

I know the parts for the Halloween parts were in the bins before the Watertower store had the packs out.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Attended the Lego store grand opening today in Pittsburgh
    BumblepantsRonyar
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Interesting, the LEGO store set, but no special minifigures for the opening?
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117

SumoLego77ncaachampsFowlerBricksLEGOFan2JBricks27
    I guess we now know where those extra clamshell cases went!
    Switchfoot55
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 708
    @BrickByBrick yes, I believe I saw some of the pieces in the bins, but wasn't really paying attention (building my own while trying to help my two kids build theirs, haha).  I believe an employee showed me the Halloween Trio available pre-built, similar to the Christmas Trio I mentioned.  The associate did say they were going to dump the extra Christmas Trio pieces in the BaM bins once they were done.  I also believe I owe you a response on those Toy Story polys...just keep forgetting to look and see what I have for spares...
    BrickByBrick
    Don't worry, take your time. Thanks for the info I'll have to go take a look next time I'm home
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    I've gotta find out what date the LEGO store in Louisville, KY is opening.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    SumoLego said:
    They could just order another case of the part.  Someone takes their job too seriously!
    Believe it or not, that's not actually how the ordering system works. We were shipped product directly from Lego based on our current store inventory.  For some sets, they wouldn't ship new stock until the existing stock was at zero - there were more than a couple times we wondered why why weren't getting more of Set X, only to find there was one copy hiding in the back buried under other sets by accident. So unless my store manager reached out directly and said "Hey, we are selling a lot of _________, is it possible for Allocations to send us supplemental/extra stock?", most of the ordering was outside the store's direct control. And to be fair, if my boss were in charge of ordering on top of everything else that goes into running the store, it would be an overwhelming task. I replaced my part time job at Lego with a part time job at a beer store and my boss there takes care of the inventory management/ordering himself, and it is a huge task that takes the better part of a full work day.

As far as the BAM contents, not all elements are created (read: cost) equal.  One box of heads costs substantially more than a box of accessories, especially simpler moulds like wrenches, binoculars, etc.  We got a communique from Lego somewhere around the holidays last year specifically stating that a Build a Mini consists of a head, helmet/hair, torso, legs, and an accessory, times three.  It went on to also specifically say that customers purchasing 5 of the same element for each of the three boxes on the blister pack (i.e. getting 15 pumpkins) is not how BAM works or, more importantly, is inventoried. 

I had a customer attempt to purchase seven BAM packs with nothing but the Disco Hair element. Needless to say, I said no - if you multiply people abusing doing just that, it totally throws off inventory.   BAM is updated quarterly, and should deplete relatively evenly across boxes of the 5 components as the quarter goes on. So, if my manager or Asst. manager emailed our District Manager and says "Hey, we're out of heads, cause we've been letting people buy 15 heads in a BAM pack instead of how they're designed to be assembled," they'll hear it pretty good. It's hard enough to keep the Build-a-Mini organized, but abusing allocated inventory by selling 15 of the same elements in a pack really hurts the process.

I'm not trying to wave a big stick or anything like that, I just hope to provide some insight into why things are done the way they are.
    edited October 2018
    Keep build a figure organized? How so? The store I frequent has not been doing that for about 1-2 years now (they just have heads, torsos, legs, hair, and accessories all jumbled together in the bins, a bit annoying if one is looking for a specific part by the way).

I think most stores really do not care. If they do I have not heard it yet. I think they see it this way: if a part sells out, it sells out. Wait until the next shipment. As for people buying 15 heads.. I have never seen that yet. I think it also balances out though if you have people buying in bulk. That is, if one buys 15 torsos, one may buy 15 legs, and another 15 hairs, etc.

Now, to be fair I have yet to see one person go up and buy 7 packs of one piece (that is about 35 parts), and I could see that getting me stopped at the counter if I tried that. The most of a single part I typically buy is about 15 (one blister), and I still make a couple of figures (if there are some 'matching' parts), or buy more than just one type of accessory (which is typically what I purchase now as I have plenty of figures). So, if new parts are out that I like, and parts enough to build a few interesting figures (like the holiday parts that are out now), then I typically will buy 3-4 blisters of this and that.

I get what the BaM is supposed to be, and I used to rail about how people should not buy mass of an accessory, but I find BaM infinity more cost effective to me to be able to buy collections of parts instead of being forced to buy a figure with one accessory.

If LEGO stores enforced the strict three figures policy I would buy far less, not more, from the store.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    I take that rather personally. We cared. I spent lots of time at that BaM tower; we all did. It was a bit of a point of pride, and certainly made building easier, not harder. Once upon a time we used to keep our BaM bar separated into heads, torsos, hats/heads, legs, and accessories.  When Lego last fall said that was no longer necessary, everyone at my store let out a collective groan. We all hated the jumbled-together aspect. 

The problem with not enforcing the 3-figure aspect is it quickly snowballs into "give an inch, take a mile." You'd be surprised how many people tried to buy a Pick-a-Brick cup filled with minifig heads. 
    SumoLegoMegtheCat
    edited October 2018
    MrJackson said:
    I take that rather personally. We cared. I spent lots of time at that BaM tower; we all did. It was a bit of a point of pride, and certainly made building easier, not harder. Once upon a time we used to keep our BaM bar separated into heads, torsos, hats/heads, legs, and accessories.  When Lego last fall said that was no longer necessary, everyone at my store let out a collective groan. We all hated the jumbled-together aspect. 

The problem with not enforcing the 3-figure aspect is it quickly snowballs into "give an inch, take a mile." You'd be surprised how many people tried to buy a Pick-a-Brick cup filled with minifig heads. 
    You should not take anything personally as I did not mean that you did not care about the appearance of the BaM. I was talking about caring about the limits of what would go into a blister pack (as long as it did not exceed the 5 pieces per bubble rule that is).
    Though I can tell you that the store employees I talked to hated the organizing of the bar, because how long it would take to do it. While I saw why the decision to stop sorting by type into bubbles, because it was always going to be a losing battle. Though it makes it insanely hard if you are looking for a specific piece as you may have to look through every bubble on the bar instead of just the ones that held a specific type.

As for the person taking a cup to the bar, well that is just someone not paying attention or thinking the rules do not apply to them. I will say now when I get parts I use the bubble packs, but when I get to the counter I just have them pour the contents into a LEGO bag as I did not need the blister packs at all, and typically my figure parts just go into my PaB bag (because I have been return cups back to the cashier as well once done with them as I still have about 10 Large PaB cups at home).
    MrJackson said:
    SumoLego said:
    They could just order another case of the part.  Someone takes their job too seriously!
    ...As far as the BAM contents, not all elements are created (read: cost) equal...
    Huh.  However, if a particular element is 'more' popular whether on the PaB or BaM, I still think you can order a replacement case of that part.  (Whether they have the part available is something entirely different.)

Years ago, it was possible to purchase a case of a particular part if you asked nicely, and it was available for a replacement case.

I get that there is discretion as to what each manager is willing to do, but the point is to sell the product.
    SprinkleOtter
    Found the Christmas parts, so made some Santa's and Mrs. Claus figures, and some Elves, but also found that they have the Torso, head, and headdress for Tribal Chief from CMF series 3. (used legs found in the bin from the series 5 fisherman to complete him along with a tomahawk from series  10. I think they also have the Tribal hunter torso from Series 1 in the bins.
    Also found Leia hair from the Ewok Village set in the bins, multiples so it is apparently in the bin selection
    Quick question, do series 1 tribal hunter legs show up in BaM bars or just the torsos? I got a used fig cheap on ebay and the only part in not great shape is the legs, if they have them in BaM bars I'll just make another trip and stock up on extra christmas pieces but otherwise I'll just go to bricklink. 
    ^I don't think i ever saw the legs in my store.
    Quick question, do series 1 tribal hunter legs show up in BaM bars or just the torsos? I got a used fig cheap on ebay and the only part in not great shape is the legs, if they have them in BaM bars I'll just make another trip and stock up on extra christmas pieces but otherwise I'll just go to bricklink. 
    Fairly certain no legs for him, but never say never as LEGO stores really get some weird part selections in their BaM bars.
    gmonkey76
    Thank you for the replies. I thought I remembered them being there at one point but I was probably just confusing them with the torsos. 
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for the replies. I thought I remembered them being there at one point but I was probably just confusing them with the torsos. 
    They could have been already to be honest, parts come and go for the bar, and they could have had the legs sometime in the past and now just got the rest of the figure. Not sure if LEGO does this to try to stop people from completing a specific series figure (like when the Series 1 Clown, Cheerleader, and forest bandit-AKA Robin Hood- appeared in the bins), or if it is just completely random.
    Has anyone seen what the new parts for BaM are going to be for the new quarter?
    Also had the hand saw and a plain? DBG trophy that i didn't have time to find. Was told there might of been new heads to.
    Bumblepantslego007FowlerBricksmadforLEGOOnebricktoomanypharmjodMooreFXLEGOFan2
    Bad lighting the backpack is dark green, pigtails are reddish brown, and spikey hair is dark tan
    Onebricktoomany
    Are those legs with stripes on the side from somewhere or brand new? Also the dual moulded short legs next to them and that white face with star eyes?
    Are those legs with stripes on the side from somewhere or brand new? Also the dual moulded short legs next to them and that white face with star eyes?
    Im guessing those legs are from one of the Beatles in the Yellow submarine set?
    pharmjodgmonkey76
    Couldn't find the head on bricklink. As far as i can tell the legs are the same as CMF Birthday Party Boy. 
    Not surprised as it seems like BaM are getting parts solely made for BaM bars
    Yeah I'm just trying to figure out exactly which ones are exclusive as I may or may not be attempting to collect them
    Went to the Woodfield LEGO store and got some French bulldogs, and some of those White 'clown' heads which do not seem to match any head found on Bricklink that I could find.  Picked some panda heads (hoping the torso and the legs appear eventually)  and some backpacks. Typically the one manager will be good enough to go to the back and get a collection of the new parts they go to see thne what is really 'new' in the bins, but she was not there today so no such luck and I was lucky to get the pooches. Some of the other parts, like the jeans and the torsos are neat but I could wait on getting more of those.
    Went back to try to get more parts at the store (specifically the torso with the fishing vest on it that is from the fishing store set). Apparently the French bulldog part is popular as the Schaumburg IL LEGO store is out of that part right now.
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 81
    I found dual-molded dark blue hips and legs with dark red boots in the BaM bin. Seems to be a new piece, I can't any mention of it in the databases.

edited January 13
    Yeah, Build a figure has been getting unique (to Build a minifigure bar) parts lately.
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 91
    @GoodCoffeeJoey - Don't those legs belong to Marceline from Adventure Time?

SumoLego
    Yes they do
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 81
    @Cymbeline Yes, thank you, her legs don’t appear in the BrickLink search for some reason. The PaM legs are unprinted, they don’t have the triangles on the sides.

Has anyone recently been to a LEGO store and seen the contents of the build a minifigure bar? Just wondering if the new parts are out

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 559
    I was just there on Friday, @madforLEGO to avail myself of the 5$ BAM promo. The only 'interesting' elements I noticed that aren't pictured in this thread were bits of the Lady Liberty CMF (her crown and skirt parts). I dunno if it's new or not, but there were scads of them in the bins so I assumed they were just put in.  
    madforLEGO
    edited March 18
    klinton said:
    I was just there on Friday, @madforLEGO to avail myself of the 5$ BAM promo. The only 'interesting' elements I noticed that aren't pictured in this thread were bits of the Lady Liberty CMF (her crown and skirt parts). I dunno if it's new or not, but there were scads of them in the bins so I assumed they were just put in.  
    Thanks, the Crown head pieces have been around previously. I asked because it is about time for the next quarter where they add new parts to the bins.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 256
    New parts at the BAM bar. The rabbit from the CMF vet, the vet’s hair, rabbit head from the CMF rabbit suit, dark blue wizard hat, torso, and new skirt piece. Several new heads including head from CMF princess with frog (double sided, one face is asleep). Dual mold legs with white top and yellow feet. 
    madforLEGOgmonkey76pharmjodOnebricktoomany
    Guess Im going to the LEGO store this weekend. Good timing though with the Easter  pod GWP
  • ElkkthunderElkkthunder Member Posts: 47
    New parts at the BAM bar. The rabbit from the CMF vet, the vet’s hair, rabbit head from the CMF rabbit suit, dark blue wizard hat, torso, and new skirt piece. Several new heads including head from CMF princess with frog (double sided, one face is asleep). Dual mold legs with white top and yellow feet. 
    Any pics?
    BrickByBrick
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 256
    Here’s a pic of some parts combined with a 20th anniversary SW set:

madforLEGOLittleLoriFizyxMegtheCatOnebricktoomanybrickventuresandhe
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    Lego store Columbus.
    4/6/2019

bpk2300BumblepantsBrickByBrickmadforLEGOMegtheCatFizyxlego007LEGOFan2andhe
    A bit rare to see a BaM that is still sorted by accessory, Heads, Torsos and legs.
    Fizyxgmonkey76CurvedRoadPlateOnebricktoomanyLEGOFan2