Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

'New at LEGOshop.com'

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
edited October 2011 in Brickset.com
I'm just doing a few tweaks...

How useful do you find this feature?
Does it justify its prime 'above the fold' screen real-estate on the home page?
If you're not in the USA, Canada or UK, would you rather it wasn't there, given it's largely irrelevant to you?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    To be perfectly honest with you Huw, it has only once caught my eye since I joined you earlier in the year. It doesn't do much for me but what else would you put there?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Sometimes it's useful, but it would be better if sets showed up when they were actually New at LEGOshop.com, rather that several days later! Is there any way you can let users choose if they want to see it?
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    I'm in Australia, so it's a waste of my bandwidth. I do like 'New Additions to the Database' though.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,174
    I agree with Eric. I personally check the news section to see if an item is available, but usually I won't buy an item unless there is a sale or promotion so prime location doesn't seem necessary unless LEGOshop.com is paying advertisement.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited October 2011
    To me (as for many of the people who'll reply to this thread) its old news, as we follow the news etc on the forum and know about it all in advance. However to users who come for the first time, and for people who are less regular users, I would imagine its very useful. Also I would imagine that if I went away for a few months and came back to the site, it would be a good way of seeing whats new. It does provide up to date imagery on the homepage as well which gives it a nice look.

The 'new in the database' has the rather unusual problem of not showing enough sets, with all the new sets coming in.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,259
    edited October 2011
    For various reasons, it's important for me to be able to access an up-to-date and comprehensive listing of the sets which are new at [email protected] The listing doesn't need to be on the front page, however - as long as it's accessible from within the menus then I'm happy. I'd actually go as far as to say that the precious space on the front page that this currently occupies - the 'prime real estate' as you rightly call it - might in fact be better used for something else.
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    I live in Canada so the Lego store does apply to me...although I don't usually look at the list, and Lego doesn't add new products THAT often. I don't find it necessary to have it at the top of the page.
  • DvEDvE Member Posts: 6
    It might be better to have some revolving picture thingy on the right side in the nav bar or something.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    I can't think of the last time I found it useful, although i am sure it has come in handy a few times since I started using the site. I'm with DrD, I think the list is useful, but not enough to justify it's home page position.

The new additions to the database info is the one I use all the time so would prefer that to stay where it is.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    edited October 2011
    Excellent comments, thanks, adn much as I suspected.

Reasons for removing it are...

- It's useless to everyone outside US, UK and CA and currently it shows US data to them
    - It rarely changes, and when it does large batches of sets are added and so they aren't all displayed anyway.
    - The product data feed is always delayed 2 days so it is 'old news' to most of us
    - the affiliate revenue generated from shop.LEGO.com is negligible compared to other sources, so maybe relevant data from them should replace it

I'm adding a few other tweaks here and there, so I'll remove it and see what happens :-)

DrD, the (probably infrequently visited) http://www.brickset.com/buy/uk/?new page will remain.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,259
    ^ Thanks, Huw; I'm assuming that the US variant of this page will also remain as is.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    It will indeed.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Just a thought, it could work well as a flyout, e.g. a panel activated by a rollover. Then you get the nice big panel but retain the real estate.