Toothed Bar, M=1, Z=10 Meaning

On a toothed bar, such as 4205760, I'm wondering what the M and Z stand for in the description.

I think the Z=10 might mean there are 10 high points along the bar. My guess is that the M=1 has something to do with the pitch or the depth of the ridges.

Can anyone confirm or deny either or both of these items?

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    The Z is definitely number of teeth as it is also used on the round gears.  Not sure about the M since the other "Rack" style gears (ie flat) use 8M, 7M etc to indicated stud length of the rack.  Which is odd since most things use L for that.  So that part really should be a 4M, 10Z part. 
  • BrickCityLifeBrickCityLife Member Posts: 6
    @graphite Thanks for the Z info.

Still looking for more on the M number then.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,803
    graphite said:
    The Z is definitely number of teeth as it is also used on the round gears.  Not sure about the M since the other "Rack" style gears (ie flat) use 8M, 7M etc to indicated stud length of the rack.  Which is odd since most things use L for that.  So that part really should be a 4M, 10Z part. 
    Actually "M" is used pretty consistently in the official names for Technic and constraction parts to indicate stud length, just as "L" is used consistently in Bricklink's nomenclature. The "M" stands for "module" (15362 Claw 7 Modules with Cross Axle is an example of a part name that has it spelled out), and I think in this case it refers not to the length of the piece but its width. Other parts that use similar nomenclature to that gear rack include 3647 Gear Wheel T=8, M=1 and 3711 Chain Link M=1.

• BrickCityLifeBrickCityLife Member Posts: 6
    @Aanchir Thanks much!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    @graphite Thanks for the Z info.

Still looking for more on the M number then.
    Or do you mean, "Thanks for Z info".

It has been a long day, but I thought it was clever...
    andheSumoLegoFurrysaurus