Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

PDF copies of instructions for Brickset

VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,157
Fairly soon, I am planning to scan all the instructions I have that aren't available from TLG, then converting them to PDF files. I was wondering if you guys would be interested in obtaining copies to have available on Brickset?
Daragh

Comments

• mrbradfordmrbradford Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 45
    I think many of us would be interested in these, thanks!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    edited March 2015
    VorpalRyu said:
    Fairly soon, I am planning to scan all the instructions I have that aren't available from TLG, then converting them to PDF files. I was wondering if you guys would be interested in obtaining copies to have available on Brickset?
    Many thanks for the offer. We'd certainly be interested I think, although might need to confirm that LEGO would be cool with it. @Huw is currently away but will hopefully weigh in on his return.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,157
    Well, I'm wanting it done so if a disaster befalls the physical copies of my instructions, I'll still be able to rebuild. As for TLG being ok with sharing, I hadn't even thought of that, I just figured it was a non-issue with the fact that there are sites offering them, including the ComCon exclusives.

On the topic of exclusives, I will eventually have all the exclusive SW Microfighters & the Warbird (Warbird & ComCon variant of the Ghost on their way to me now), so if the sharing of plans will be ok, these will be amongst the files.
    DrmnezDaraghxiahna
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 848
    I never knew if it was ok to just post the instructions on the forum or I would have done it a long time ago for all the exclusive items I have
    @Drmnez, I'd wait until one of the admins says it would be okay. I can't see why it wouldn't be, but with TLG, who knows.
    xiahna
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 848
    Very true. That's why I still haven't done it
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    It's a bit of a grey area. Officially LEGO does not allow reproduction of instructions on sites other than Peeron, which received permission many years ago. However loads of sites do host them so it must be turning a blind eye.

I guess I could seek clarification via the CEE team and see if it's something we could add here in future.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 607
    I imagine that instructions that pre-date ~2002 when Lego's archive starts are less of a gray area.  In fact I've always wondered why Lego hasn't reached out to the community to provide high quality scans to fill their database.  For instructions after 2002, I think they'd prefer to have visitors redirected to their own service rather than instructions hosted separately.  Anything from the last ~12 years that is missing from Lego's cache is more gray.  Hard to know if omissions are intentional or not without clear direction.
    edited March 2015
    I'm only planning to scan in & convert to PDF the instructions I can't find on TLG's database, so I will have all but one of the SW Microfighters exclusives, the fan-expo Ghost, plus all my older instructions, mostly '70's & '80's Space/Town sets.

As long as TLG has no issues with those going up on the web, I will upload ASAD...
    xiahna