Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

missing parts

so I have just started with legos (ok well 20 in my first month of doing them)
I have noticed that the more expensive a set, the more pieces I am missing
I know that we can order parts, but in one set that just had 145 pieces I had 21+ pieces missing. it was a gift, so we took it back to store that we purchased it from and they exchanged it
Has anyone else notice this?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    There is a thread on this here:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1694/how-often-are-you-missing-a-piece-discover-a-broken-piece-have-a-quality-issue#latest

I've never had that many parts missing. Are you sure the box was sealed when you bought it?
    VorpalRyu
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I would echo what CCC said. Missing parts, especially that quantity, is usually a sign that the box was tampered with. I think I have only run into a missing part situation twice or maybe three times in my entire life. In all cases when I thought a part was missing it was either hiding inside another part, or I accidentally left it in one of those inner clear baggies. If you ever miss a part check and double-check your work-area, check inside the packaging, and check inside other parts (for smaller parts). 99.9% of the time they will be there. :)
    Andorgmonkey76cheekymunk3ynatro220VorpalRyu
  • WeavingBearWeavingBear Member Posts: 3
    yes all three boxes were fatory sealed - two I ordered directly from Lego itself
    I actually use a large table with a lip on it and open one bag at a time and separate the pieces into a beading box by color and size (type)
    Will be very careful
    Had to exchange all three off them - one I ordered missing parts and got them and continued on and found more pieces - so far 12 pieces have been missing - ended up exchanging that one at Lego store 
    thanks for your help
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Are you opening the box, sorting the pieces, and building the model all in one sitting?

Also, many times when a piece is missing, it's because another piece of a similar weight was added. Are you getting any extras (beyond the normal extras of small pieces)?
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Lego uses a very sophisticated system to assemble the pieces for each set, and if the set is off in weight by a miniscule amount, it gets rejected.  So I'm not sure what is going on where you would be missing that many pieces from a set that came directly from Lego (assuming there's no point along the way that it could have been tampered with.)  I've been collecting pretty heavily since coming out of my dark ages in 2008/2009, and was missing a piece only once, a small plate in my Green Grocer.  There were several times where I THOUGHT a piece was missing, but going back and looking at the cellophane packaging, or re-reading the instructions and noticing a mistake I made were to blame on each of those occasions.

Also, you don't need to order parts (I.E. pay for them yourself).  If you contact customer service, they are more than happy to send you the missing parts.  However, they will likely wonder what happened that you were missing so many parts from one set.  What set was it exactly that you were missing 21 pieces from?  And you bought that one from Lego for sure?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    Also keep in mind that due to shading in instruction books and all of the off colors now between light gray dark gray and black you could be using the wrong parts at the wrong time in the building process.
    Happened to me quite a lot when assembling the Emerald night.
    crazycarl
  • cheekymunk3ycheekymunk3y Manchester, UKMember Posts: 108
    I had that problem with the SSD, at one point spent about 30-40 minutes looking for a piece only to realise it was Black and not Dark Gray! (I bought a used one on ebay so all the bits were just in one big pile and not numbered bags)
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    My daughter just finished building #41095 and found she was missing one Earth Blue 2x4 plate. There was an extra brown-red 2x4 plate though.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Thats very odd.  In my 25 years of playing with Lego I have only had 2 missing pieces.  I was missing the sticker sheet and 1 1x4 brown plate in Santas Workshop.  That is the newest set I have bought.  Lets hope thats not a new trend for Lego going forward. 
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    30 years collecting without a single missing piece - bizarrely though, 3 of the eight sets we had under the tree this past Christmas had EXTRA pieces.  An evil lair with THREE flexible tubes (instead of the standard two), A Metalbeards duel with 4 chains and three 'clockwork key' pieces and a HE with an extra sticker sheet and set of flex tubes....
    Andor
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    Only had it happening once. VW camper. Missed 2. Got 2 different. Lego sorted it. 2 parts gained.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    It happens all of the time. I'd say in terms of LEGO sets produced, it is probably a small percentage. However, there is a large percentage of people who would know who to contact or discuss it online, so sometimes it comes off as being a higher number than it actually is. I know I've experienced it many times. I have since bought less LEGO because of it.

As for flex tubing, I think every set I've ever purchased that had flex tubing, they have given an extra tube. I think sometimes you have to cut some, so in case you mess up you have extra.