Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help with Tight Connection

ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
I just built #70807 MetalBeard's Duel over the weekend and I found one connection point to be extremely tight, and I can no longer separate the pieces. The connection is the one on p.48 of the manual, step 29.3, where you stick the black Light Sword blade through the gray lamp holder for the thing that the parrot sits on.  The blade is not quite all the way through the hole, and I cannot budge it in either direction.  I tried using the small end of a flick fire missile to push it back out, but I actually ended up bending the missile.  I also tried running the two pieces under warm water to soften the plastic a little, but that didn't work either (maybe I didn't use hot enough water).

Any suggestions?  My girlfriend suggested using spray butter or WD-40 but I was wary of their effects on the plastic.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    I use pliers (two pairs) for things like this. Pop a bit of foam rubber into the jaws of the pliers, then squeeze the part and pull. The foam rubber helps stop any scratching.

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried with one pair of needle nose pliers and a hot pad in lieu of foam rubber, but maybe I need the strength of a second pair.  Also, once I get them apart, is there a way to safely widen the hole so that the connection is secure yet still easily able to be taken apart again?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    Either that, or maybe a very small amount of Vaseline type product to lubricate the tight piece. I have done this for Classic space vehicles that have antenna's through 1x1 eyelet pieces
  • reckonballreckonball Member Posts: 18
    Try throwing the parts in the freezer overnight; it works for getting Minimate skulls out of their ridiculously tight helmets, it might work for Lego as well.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    Hopefully you've got all the help you need already coz I can't, I just remember seeing this part pairing in a list of illegal connections because the type of plastic they're both made of creates too much friction - shame on TLG for telling you to do this!
    If you contacted them and explained about that I'd say they should be embarrassed enough send you replacement parts!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Hopefully you've got all the help you need already coz I can't, I just remember seeing this part pairing in a list of illegal connections because the type of plastic they're both made of creates too much friction - shame on TLG for telling you to do this!
    I think I've mentioned it before in a similar thread, but I was really surprised to see such a tight connection in #10243 Parisian Restaurant. #63965 into #76116 is an extremely tight fit. I understand it's an "expert-level" set, but in no event should one need to use tools to put two pieces together.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    My brother and I had trouble with this same connection in this same set. Seems similar to the issue that happens when connecting two polycarbonate parts together, though if the lamp holder is made from polycarbonate I certainly didn't know it before building this set.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody, and @Aanchir, I'm glad it wasn't just me.  Well, I wish we didn't have this issue in the first place, but I think you know what I mean :-)  I will give another go at it tonight.
    Alright, so I was able to get it.  I have a hot pad that is sufficiently soft yet grippy that I folded and wrapped around the stick, and then held it with a pair of pliers.  I then was able to wiggle the lamp holder by hand until it came loose.  It made a distinct creaking noise of plastic-on-plastic.  I tested it a few times and now that the pieces have become unstuck, I can easily make the connection by hand now, yet it is secure enough to hold in position.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    The thing that scares me the most about this post is how it so vividly points out the apparent lack of quality control LEGO is currently experiencing with individual parts. The EXACT same connection in the EXACT same set in our collection is so LOOSE that the Parrot (when attached to the lamp holder) cannot retain the 'upright' position...scary scary stuff TLG...