Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Submit the best LEGO models for upcoming book: "THE LEGO Architect"

tomalphintomalphin Member Posts: 248
edited March 2015 in Building and Techniques
I am extremely excited to announce my new book, "The LEGO Architect" will be published later this year by the awesome team at No Starch Press.  The book explores popular architectural styles like Neoclassical, Art Deco, Modernism, Brutalism, Postmodernism, and High-tech architecture through LEGO.

architect_cover-front-sm-300x300jpg
The cover features an amazing LEGO model of Unité d’Habitation, built by the folks at One World Architecture. 

For each style, you will see beautiful photos of real buildings, a short explanation of the style, a selection of amazing LEGO buildings created by artists from around the world, and instructions to build small LEGO models based on the unique design elements of each style. You can learn more about the book and see some excerpts at tomalphin.com (You can already pre-order the book at Amazon!)

BRUTALISM-models-sm-300x150jpg
Sample page layout showing Brutalism LEGO models which will be featured in the book.

Question: What is your favorite fan-made LEGO Architecture Model?

We are finishing up the book now, but there is still time to make sure that the very best fan-made LEGO architecture models are featured in the book.  Please reply to this thread with links to your favorite LEGO Architecture projects!

Sincerely,
---tom

P.S. If your model is featured in the book, we will send you a free copy! 
LostInTranslationLegoKipAdeelZubairBumblepantssnowhitie

Comments

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    edited March 2015
    How long left to submit MOCs? I have a Taj Mahal (similar scale to Villa Savoye) that is nearly done.
  • tomalphintomalphin Member Posts: 248
    @Adzbadboy
    Not long, and unfortunately I'm not covering much in the way of traditional or eastern architecture in this book.  That said, I would love to see a photo of your work!

You should share some "in progress" photos!  I love it when people show some "behind the scenes" and "making of" photos of their projects.

---tom
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Looks interesting.

PS. the selling websites say it is paperback but your webpage says hardback.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    I made a model of Zaha Hadid's Contemporary Arts Center a few years ago; I'll see if I can find a picture for your deconstructivist section.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Tom,
    This sounds wonderful! Can't wait to read your book. Way to go!
    @Plell,  is this yours: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67335  For obvious reasons, Deconstructivism is difficult with LEGO.

@CCC, The book will be hardbacked.  Apparently the scripts which update the online resellers with these details misbehave from time to time.

@ everyone - thanks for your support!  It's been an exciting (and exhausting) process, and the warm response makes it so much more fun.

---tom
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2015
    ^Yup, that's mine! Agreed it's a very difficult style to adapt. I've tried a few other works by Hadid, Tschumi, and Koolhaas to varying degrees of success, but no pictures of any of those attempts.

I should also mention any of Spencer_R's models are among my personal favorites. I believe he actually works for/with Robert A. M. Stern Architects.
  • graznadorgraznador Member Posts: 15
    Very cool idea.

I'm a bit biased, but I'm fond of my Pasadena City Hall.  The actual building is absolutely beautiful, I tried hard to do it justice.

Tim Inman has some great architectural work in his photostream.

@TechnicNick, your Schroder House is intriguing!  I hope you still have the model assembled, as I would need some different shots for the book.
    edited March 2015
    @Plell, that's awesome, I'm glad you shared it with us all.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would love to see your Tschumi and Koolhass explorations as well.
    edited March 2015
    @graznador, Tim's work is great, thanks for suggesting it.  I love his re-creation of Frank Lloyd Wrights biggest "skyscraper", the Price tower.  Great colors and such an unusual shape for LEGO.

Your take on Pasadena city hall looks great, although it is a better match for a book focused on the Mini Modulars style.  Recreating Baroque and Neoclassical detailing with LEGO is tricky and you have done it well.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    @TechnicNick, your Schroder House is intriguing!  I hope you still have the model assembled, as I would need some different shots for the book.

It's still around so that is possible. Just let me know what you need, although my photography skills are not the best.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,051
    edited March 2015
    Sounds like a really interesting project, look forward to see the final result! Good luck with the finishing touches.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    Tom,

Since you're including Modernism in your book, I wonder if this home may be included. In our community sits an historic gem by Schindler my son and I have discussed as a Lego project:
    Lovel Beach House

Good luck with your book. We are looking forward to reading it.
    @LegoKip
    I am hoping to include Richard Neutra's Lovel Health House in the book, but wasn't planning to include Schindler's Beach house.  It's impossible to include every masterpiece, since I am only dedicating a couple pages to architectural photos for each style.  

(Someone has done a LEGO model of Lovell Health House.  link:  )

Lovell Beach House a really interesting building though.  You should try a LEGO version - I haven't seen one before, and would love to feature it on my LEGO Architecture Collection on Pinterest.

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm for the book.

Sincerely,
    ---tom