Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Is this a dry year?

icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 499
Is it just me, but right now I dont really find any LEGO sets that excites me.

2009: Pirates brought me back out of the darkage.
2010: Kingdoms were cool. Prince of Persia - I loved them!
2011: Pirates of the Caribean - really nice sets!
2012-14: had me craving Lord of the Ring and Hobbit

2015? Nothing!?!!!
I'm properly more into historic-ish themes. New castle and pirates doesnt really wake my appetite. :-/

Anyone share the feeling?
AndorMiniFigHunterdougtsMrJ_NY

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Halloween CMF for me. Not much else set wise.
    Andorbobabricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    The City Demo line is pretty nifty IMO, but I think generally I agree. It is pretty much ho hum when you think about it.
    There is nothing I am seeing that will generate wide spread interest.
    Marvel and DC Superheroes  are OK, but really just not blowing my socks off. Jokerland is neat but that is really all I would be looking forward to for that line.
    Detective Office I wanted and have.

Again I think LEGO is getting a bit too big and also now over saturating their market with these lines, sub themes, and licensing IMO. While they are making more variety it is hurting production capabilities and now causing a bit of apathy with all the stuff coming out especially when much of it feels re-hashed. Pirates is just a shell of itself and it feels like LEGO 'phoned it in' with the line. CMF were interesting but for 3.99 USD getting far less interesting to me.
    Divers is neat, same with Arctic (I know, more '14 than '15) but nothing I cannot live without.
    What is good is the lessening blow to my wallet with lack of anything that I MUST have.

• AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Great choices @icey117  I to am in to historic-ish themes.
     When Pirates came out in 2009 I was interested in them, but sadly didn't get any. So I will be getting the new Pirate sets.
      Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are my all time favorite themes. I am only missing two sets from The Battle of the Five Armies to complete my collection.  
       Ninjago is a slighty historic theme, but not by much. Which I will be getting some of those since the last three year I have been busy with LOTR & The Hobbit and I find some of interesting.
       I plan to get some of the Scooby-Doo sets in the summer. (I have always been a fan of classic Scooby-Doo.)
      In Conclusion, I might buy #70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow with my saved up VIP points.
      So for myself not really a dry year. (I would like to say anon, Great choice in themes. Huzzah!)

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540
    I am totally the opposite.  Detective's Office, Kwik E Mart, Helicarrier, TIE Fighter...I'm going to go broke before summer comes with all the great exclusives.  Who knows what there will be 2nd half.  But yeah, the regular themes and sets, not much interesting, except maybe Elves and Speed Champions.
    AndorPitfall69
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    edited March 2015
    2014 was underwhelming for me but 2015 has easily surpassed it. For my taste, there's just too much stuff based on IPs, whether licensed or in-house. Don't get me wrong, I like licensed stuff; LOTR pulled me out of my dark ages, after which I fell down the OT Star Wars hole, and I like some Super Heroes. But I'm not particularly interested in themes where the set design is driven by a story I have no interest in (e.g. Chima, Ninjago, Ultra Agents).

Of the first wave of sets (i.e. December to March), there are only nine I really wanted, all $30 or less. I already have them all. I like the Pirates sets as a basis for modification and MOCing, and may end up getting some of those. I'm marginally interested in Shuttle Tydirium if it settles in around $75. I'm looking forward to Wall-E, assuming it comes out this year. Otherwise, I'm hoping for some surprises and something better than Detective's Office at year's end.
    Andor
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,708
    For me, it's anything but a dry year! Ninjago is back with a vengeance, and this year's lineup brings not only several beautiful temples, vehicles, and dragons but also the highest number of unique Ninjago minifigures in any year to date. BIONICLE has also made a triumphant return, with new versions of the original six Toa, among other gems. And I've managed to fall head over heels in love with the new Elves theme, which has a lot of the same character-driven fantasy adventure appeal as those two themes but with a much more feminine design language and a considerably less aggressive story. It's already managed to surpass my wildest expectations and I'm very confident that I'll end up getting all of this year's sets from that theme.

Seeing as you're more of a historic themes buff, I can see how this year might be disappointing. This year's Pirates sets are impressive designs in my book, but there's no denying that they are small and few in number (not to mention not much different in terms of subject matter than the 2009 Pirates range). Castle is still on hiatus, with The Hobbit winding down.

But from where I'm sitting, it's going to be quite an expensive year, and I'm quite grateful that the reviews I've been doing for The New Elementary have helped to take some of that financial burden off my shoulders.

I would advise you to keep an eye out for the Ninjago temple coming out later this year. Given that it's a big exclusive set, I imagine there's a good chance that it might be designed to appeal to more serious-minded AFOLs in addition to Ninjago story buffs, kind of like the Monster Fighters Haunted House which was considerably more "traditional" in its scope than the wackiness present in the rest of that theme.
    LostInTranslationPenkid11AndorcarlqAdzbadboy
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I've been pretty happy with 2015 so far. My personal highlights have been:

Series 13 CMF.  Probably one of my favorite series to date.  I purchased more dups with Series 13 than any other release.

DC Superheroes Justice League Winter Wave: Holy Christ - all of them were awesome and allowed us to FINALLY complete the core JLA.

Winter Creator:  Probably one of my favorite waves of Creator since I've been out of my dark ages. Future Flyers, Red Creatures, Rain Forest Animals - all great and very affordable.

Detective's Office: The first Modular I have truly appreciated since Green Grocer.

Upcoming Scooby-Doo and CMF 14 Monsters - Really excited for both.

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    I've also really loved 2015 so far. The highlight for me has been Elves, but I have also loved Series 13 (Goblins!) and some of the new DC Minifigures. I'm looking forward to getting some of the Age of Ultron sets, and a Helicarrier at some point as well. Definitely looking forward to Scooby Doo and Series 14 Monsters. Oh and I almost forgot about Frozen! I still can't wait to get a copy of Elsa's Sparking Ice Palace. I've also got my eyes on Detective's Office and the Kwik-E Mart. This is all of course once I've caught up with previous things, like Tower of Orthanc, sufficient multiples of the last Hobbit wave, and Simpson's House, for example. So in conclusion, 2015 is anything but a dry year, at least for me. The only thing that will be "dry" after this year is when the metaphorical well that is my wallet runs dry from all the LEGO I will purchase!
    Andor
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    Well, it is a better year for us than usual
    Elves
    new minecraft sets (2-3 sets)
    Halloween minifigs
    scooby-doo (2-3 sets)
    large Ninjago exclusive
    Ferris Wheel
    Holiday set

I would say we are still lacking a theme for my son, but there are a number of sets on his top list, especially Minecraft and Scooby.

• TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515

I´m very exited with the Speed Champions, most of SW, some DC super heroes stuff. Not a poor year for me.

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    My wallet is happier this year, as I only really 'collect' modulars, winter village sets, and trains. Now that I've caught up with past sets, my next 'must purchase' set is likely to be the WV set - unless it's a carbon copy of the Toy Shop from a few years ago (which I already have).

Instead, my money appears to be going on bricks to build a rather large railway station...
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I just got into lego last year so last year was crazy expensive from a 'catching up' perspective.  Still have some residual catch up to do but there's lots of stuff I'm interested in for this year as well.  Dropped my comic collecting to do this and haven't looked back.
    icey117
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    You know I thought I wouldn't be getting too much this year (I started really getting into Lego sets with LOTR), but I wound up getting the DC sets the day they came out. Then I thought I could care less about anything else, but after looking at it for awhile got the Avengers' tower set. I'm also really loving the elves sets. We got the ship and the tree house. Beautiful sets and the minidolls are growing on me (at least as far as the elves go). My daughters promised that daddy can play with them after they are finished building with me :)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    We are only just into March and I have already bought two thirds of my total purchase last year. Star Wars, Super Heroes, Technic, Speed Champions, Pirates and Elves all appeal to me, as will some of the City sets in the summer.

So 2015 has been a great year for LEGO so far!
    LostInTranslationAndorAdzbadboy
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I'd like to agree that LEGO is getting too big and saturating the market, but I think ultimately it hasn't done so yet. They say with more choices, consumers actually buy less because they need more focused options, so LEGO may collapse in that regard in the near future. With tons of licensed sets and possibilities, they will continue to grow that market. Super Heroes aren't going anyway, neither is SW.

My problem is the constant rehashing. SW has some neat figures and ships, but they get redone every few years. Super Heroes has so many versions of the same figures, it's silly. Yes, I collect SH figures and there is a line drawn where I don't need certain characters just because they have a new hat...And then other characters who I've never heard of, I probably don't NEED. It should limit my spending, but ultimately I bet it won't.

As far as other themes, Pirates does seem very much like 2009. I missed out on those, but I really only want a small army of blue coats, so I can pass on those sets unless I find a good deal. Elves actually seemed really interesting. I like the designs, but don't care so much about the bright colors. So I may modify some of them.
  • reckonballreckonball Member Posts: 18
    Sethro3 said:

[...]My problem is the constant rehashing. SW has some neat figures and ships, but they get redone every few years. Super Heroes has so many versions of the same figures, it's silly. Yes, I collect SH figures and there is a line drawn where I don't need certain characters just because they have a new hat...And then other characters who I've never heard of, I probably don't NEED. It should limit my spending, but ultimately I bet it won't.[...]
    As a parent and AFOL, I respectfully disagree.  A rigorous refresh schedule has made it possible for my kids to enjoy sets they'd never have known existed if I had to rely on the secondary market to backfill their collection.  
    carlqAndorAanchir
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    It's only March. Sheesh...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    It's only March. Sheesh...
    Yes, but most of the sets that will be released this year are known.
    madforLEGO
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    "Yes, but most of the sets that will be released this year are known. "

Yup. I think about all that's left are seasonal polys, CMF simpsons 2 and Halloween, and learning if TLM is done or not and will there be pirates wave 2
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,505
    Simpsons 2 have been known for a while.
    Simpsons 2 have been known for a while.

No, I meant like a full set of official images. There's still no official image sets for either unless somethings changed.
    I'm curious about the other seasonal sets similar to the Valentines and Easter sets. The Valentines one sold out and I know the Easter one sold out in store (I was glad I could get one online...thankful I had a code for free shipping). I don't know...sometimes its the little surprises like that that get me excited...I don't think we knew about the Pirate chess set until a short while ago. I think there are still a few tricks up the sleeves of Lego. And I know there are a few things coming out that I want to get (though admittedly most of what I wanted is out already).
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    SCOOBY-DOOBY DOO, I FREAKING LOVE YOU.... lol I might like Scooby-Doo Lego sets... but just a little ;)
    ^You know I'm not a big fan of scooby doo, but those sets look nice
  • Rolyat24Rolyat24 PA, USAMember Posts: 41
    Dry? This has been one of the wetter years, what with Pirates and City Swamp Police/Deep Sea Explorers! 

All kidding aside, this year does seem lacking in historical content. Even in terms of CMF, only one series (13) is set to contain anything historical. Hopefully after the loss of LOTR/the Hobbit TLG will look to expand their historical offerings for 2016. One can hope, anyway.

Personally, I've been occupied with Ninjago. The sets so far are really enjoyable and the second half of the year looks even better. 
    LukeSkywalkerAndorSapmiSatan
  • NinjaGaidenNinjaGaiden Member Posts: 6
    This thread title made me laugh.  2015 is definitely not a dry year for me, personally.  I collect SW, so between the UCS sets, Rebels, and Episode VII later this year, I'm going to need to tap into my 401(k) to afford everything (kidding).       

Then there's the Helicarrier, and Jokerland.  

I guess if you're more into the historical themes, I can see this year being dry.  But if you're into the fan-boy themes like myself, then 2015 is great!
    Andor
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 499
    Yeah, I guess SW fans seldom have a dry LEGO year.

I was thinking that a relaunch of VIKINGS would be perfect now.
    Andorcatwrangler
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,611
    Last year we had the best themes such as The LEGO Movie, Mixels, The Simpsons, Minecraft. I must say 2014 is the beat year for LEGO in terms of everything they gave us and expensive.

2015 is a different story. I have a few sets on my wish list this year but the themes this year aren't appealing to me. The only theme that I feel is solid this year is the LEGO Creator theme, but even then they arent cool enough for me to buy and display. I think the Episode VII sets will be the highlight of the year!
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    icey117 said:

I've weened myself off of Star Wars.  Just too many sets and scenarios to keep up with.  I would grab a Sandcrawler at a discount.  But that will never happen.

Vikings would definitely grab my attention.  However look how generic and conservative Lego's current Pirate theme is.  Vikings will never happen again.  

Lego seems to be putting it's creative efforts behind themes like Elves, Chima and Ninjago.  Themes I don't really have interest in but I can admire some of the set design.
    Andor
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,708
    mathew said:
    icey117 said:

I've weened myself off of Star Wars.  Just too many sets and scenarios to keep up with.  I would grab a Sandcrawler at a discount.  But that will never happen.
    Yeah, I collected LEGO Star Wars for a while as a kid/teenager but stopped around 2006 because I just started to realize that I'd never have a collection I could be satisfied with. There are always new characters and vehicles to come out with, and what's more, the re-releases of iconic vehicles like the X-Wing often put the "classic versions" to shame! There are a LOT of Star Wars sets that tempt me to get back into the theme, but then I look at just how many amazing ships and characters are out there and I'm brought back to reality.

Ninjago is not really THAT much cheaper to collect than Star Wars, but I find it easier to justify to myself since it doesn't have a decades-long backlog of vehicles and characters to draw from, and I know that in most cases any set or minifigure I get will remain the definitive version of that subject. I don't have to worry about them coming out with a new Jay's Storm Fighter that's more accurate to the original, because the one I have IS the original! Though on that note, there's a new version of the Destiny's Bounty this year that makes me feel a lot better about skipping the 2012 version.
    AndorRolyat24
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Aanchir said:
     Though on that note, there's a new version of the Destiny's Bounty this year that makes me feel a lot better about skipping the 2012 version.
    Yeah, but it's a totally different design.  Too bad they didn't try to give us something more like what was seen originally in the cartoon.  I haven't kept up with the show though since the second season.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    mathew said:
    icey117 said:

Vikings would definitely grab my attention.  However look how generic and conservative Lego's current Pirate theme is.  Vikings will never happen again.  

Lego seems to be putting it's creative efforts behind themes like Elves, Chima and Ninjago.  Themes I don't really have interest in but I can admire some of the set design.
    Vikings, or a more mystic castle theme is rumored to be in the works, either end of the year or early next.  I want a Game of Thrones Theme!
    catwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,010
    I'd hate a Game of Thrones theme, nothing against game of thrones, but I'd prefer a decent in house fantasy theme and GoT really isn't an appropriate theme for Lego. That last load of castle stuff was uninspired.
    Andor
    Dedgecko  said:
    Vikings, or a more mystic castle theme is rumored to be in the works, either end of the year or early next. 
    Really!?!! Tell me more: What are the source for such a rumor?
    Andor
    Lets break down some of the lines a bit this year (this is simply my opinion only)

-Simpsons, Kwiki mart, a 199.99 USD set with a bunch of rehashed characters in it, CMF  for Simpsons will probably be OK for those that are Simpsons fans, but I do not see this is as a Winner, as believe or not, there are those who do not like Simpsons.
    -Deep sea, new version, but done before.
    -Swamp police, new version of forestry police.
    -Star Wars? Over priced at best and many redo's.
    -New 'Special' train set? Red version of loco from 7939 and a few new cars. Probably not enough to justify what will likely be at least a 179.99 set.
    -Pirate? IMO MASSIVE 'phone in' the the designers to fill the 'historical' theme slot I think
    -Demolition line?  Sounds silly, but glad to see a twist on the construction line.
    -Super heroes: While some of the sets are desirable to many, like Jokerland and Ultron sets, I think the line over all is ho hum.
    -Scooby Doo. Curious to see how well it really does. Again is this going to be an initial surge of demand followed by a massive clearance because they could not sell as much as they thought they would? At least they did it correctly (with minifi heads) and not via the Simpsons method, which is horrible by the way.

While there are lines coming out that people want, overall I would say this year is a quantity over quality one by LEGO.

I just know I will not be buying much in the way of LEGO, as there appears to be no creator train to replace Horizon Express.
    No new Fairground style set (like the Mixer).
    Toy shop for WV will be interesting. Are they redoing a toy shop like the first WV set, or is it like an elves toyshop due to all of the ranting about Santas workshop lack of a toy factory?
    CMF Monsters theme? Great, but typically most of the CMFs are wanted, and not enough to say this year is not a bit 'ho hum'
    Ill be buying the City lines for the demo but will wait until they are on sale.
    Detective office, great IMO, but there are even those who do not think much of that set either. Again one or a handful of sets being interrested in does not make the year great.
    So this year may be great for kids (which is great as that is who the toy is aimed at) and resellers, I think for many collectors they will be saving money for '16.

For every theme, there are those that do not like it. Isn't that the whole point of Lego making varied themes. Chances are there is something (but not everything) for everyone.
    AdzbadboyAanchirnatro220BumblepantstamamahmLostInTranslationcarlqGoldchains
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,611
    edited March 2015
    ^Yeah, The LEGO Group have to consider the other LEGO themes; in Creator they make cars, in City and Super Heroes they also make cars, in order to give a collective portfolio and they have to deliver a wide range of different play experiences when a young child walks into a store. LEGO need to differentiate between each theme.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    @madforLEGO - There is a fairground type set coming up: #10247 Ferris Wheel.
    Andor

"Vikings would definitely grab my attention.  However look how generic and conservative Lego's current Pirate theme is. "

Yup. They could of done so much better if they really tried to.

CCC said:
    For every theme, there are those that do not like it. Isn't that the whole point of Lego making varied themes. Chances are there is something (but not everything) for everyone.

I have to echo this. I think much simply just depends on people's interests. While some may find this year dry, others may find it great. In our case, we have yet to have a theme to replace HP or alien conquest in my kids' eyes, where those were lines where they wanted everything. We have had some fairly dry years since those two lines if I look simply at themes. The jungle sub-theme of Friends (but it is a sub-theme) and the new elves line have come closest. My son still has not found a line, though, since alien conquest, although Minecraft and Ninjago did hit high marks. 

In general, though, because of the lack of lines my son loves,  he generally just picks individual sets. He started at the end of Atlantis, and Power Miners, and both were themes he really enjoyed, but started as they were being clearanced out.

As long as Lego creates something that people want to buy, they are doing great, even when we individually may find a year (or years in our case), that are dry. 
    Ahh, OK, thx.
    Was not sure as while I heard rumors, there have been no pictures or other info and I'm fairly certain the Mixer was released around this time last year (unless I mistaken about that too).
    Ahh, OK, thx.
    Was not sure as while I heard rumors, there have been no pictures or other info and I'm fairly certain the Mixer was released around this time last year (unless I mistaken about that too).

It was a bit later, actually. I believe it was around May/June, as they led into summer, since an amusement park and the free poly of the balloon cart fits more into summer than spring. 

"For every theme, there are those that do not like it. Isn't that the whole point of Lego making varied themes. Chances are there is something (but not everything) for everyone."

Don't look my direction. As far as 2015 sets go, it's nearly bone dry for me. it's standing there's one minecraft set I want later in year, One wave 2 simpsons CMF and debating on 2 others if the rumor list is true, on the line about an elves set, and waiting for word on if lego wll ever get the series 6 animals out or if there'll be other boxed animals.

• thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 232

if lego wll ever get the series 6 animals out or if there'll be other boxed animals.

Series 6 has been available at Walgreens for a few weeks now.  No sign of them in Lego stores or [email protected], but, I've seen them at every Walgreens recently (Chicago / Wisconsin).
    The thing about a "dry" year - when there's not really any sets I want to waste money at... I start regreting not spending more cash on the years there were more sets I wanted than what the budget allowed.

But now the sets are gone: either gone off the shelves or just gone crazy up in price. :-(
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,724
    I feel like there's too many overpriced licensed properties, but I am finding myself unexpectedly tempted by Chima - I started out grumbling that it was a Thundercats rip-off, and now I've worked my way round to, "Hey, a Lego Thundercats-esque universe! Cool!" 

The current Pirates stuff looks pretty good to me, but I only ever had a couple of Pirates sets in the past, so it doesn't feel stale. For the rest, there's nothing really must-have (well, not until the Halloween minifigs come along) for me - I think I should've got back into collecting a few years ago when the medieval village and mill sets came out!

if lego wll ever get the series 6 animals out or if there'll be other boxed animals.

Series 6 has been available at Walgreens for a few weeks now.  No sign of them in Lego stores or [email protected], but, I've seen them at every Walgreens recently (Chicago / Wisconsin).
    Ooh! Thanks. I will have to have a peak and see if mine have them.
    icey117 said:
    The thing about a "dry" year - when there's not really any sets I want to waste money at... I start regreting not spending more cash on the years there were more sets I wanted than what the budget allowed.

But now the sets are gone: either gone off the shelves or just gone crazy up in price. :-(
    Yes, so probably best not to waste money on stuff you don't really want in preparation for a bumper year in the future. It will happen again.
    icey117
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I feel like there's too many overpriced licensed properties, but I am finding myself unexpectedly tempted by Chima - I started out grumbling that it was a Thundercats rip-off, and now I've worked my way round to, "Hey, a Lego Thundercats-esque universe! Cool!"
    For ppp, playability, originality and minifig design, Chima has been offering a great deal.  I was never a fan of the speedorz, but those new little "tribe" battle packs with the shooting guns and disc launchers are actually quite cool.  They remind me of the old game Crossbows & Catapults from back in the 80's.
    ShibcheshirecatAanchirAndorcarlqluckyrusscatwrangler
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited March 2015
    I loved crossbows and catapults. I remember I even had some viking ships or something as well as both the square and round towers.

Ahhhh, simpler times. They'd probably have to sell them with safety glasses now.
    carlq